PDA

View Full Version : How come all robots dont have the Glowy bits showing their weak spots?

Ravens_Wing
2010-04-29, 08:42 PM
So i am looking for a way to Crit and do sneak attack damage to Constructs and have basicly no luck in finding anything to let me do that. Does any one know of any feats or PrC or well anything that would allow that ability?

Its always so much easier in the video games with their brightly coloured joints... :smalltongue:

Mastikator
2010-04-29, 08:48 PM
What game are we talking about? In D&D3.5e constructs don't have weak spots.
They SHOULD, but they don't.

The Rabbler
2010-04-29, 08:49 PM
not sure about critting, but there's a rogue variant that allows said rogue to deal partial sneak attack damage. don't remember the source though.

although, if this is specifically for constructs, you could pick up a greater demolition crystal (MIC). it's a weapon crystal that lets you crit and sneak attack constructs. now that I think about it, that sounds like exactly what you were looking for. there are others for undead and oozes and stuff, but yea.

Krazddndfreek
2010-04-29, 08:49 PM
Well for undeads there's the greater truedeath crystal... I heard about a feat that allowed half sneak attack damage versus undeads and constructs. Sorry can't think of anything off the top of my head.

EDIT: @^ Ah, forgot about that one.

Ravens_Wing
2010-04-29, 08:52 PM
Yeah sry it is in 3.5 that I am looking into. I know there are a few ways to get the ability to crit and sneak attack vs undead and i think i even found one for oozes at one point... but yeah so far nothing for constructs...

The Rabbler
2010-04-29, 08:54 PM
It's in the Magic Item Compendium. the one I'm sure about is a weapon crystal and yes, it is in 3.5. I'm more shaky about this, but I think there is a weapon ability that lets you sneak attack and crit constructs similarly to ghost strike (also from MIC).

EDIT: typed too quickly.

Swooper
2010-04-29, 08:55 PM
There's always Golemstrike, a spell from the SpC. You could UMD that, although it's expensive both in gold and, more importantly, actions in combat.

I can confirm that there's a feat (or ACF?) somewhere that lets you SA for half damage on constructs, undead, oozes, elementals and plants, but I can't remember what it's called or where it's from, sadly...

Mastikator
2010-04-29, 08:56 PM
While we're looking at magic items.
Is there a disruption (insta-kill on undead) version for constructs? Because if there is, might want to look into that.
If not, construct bane might help. Also, as far as I can tell, golems would probably be vulnerable to spells like web and grease.

The Rabbler
2010-04-29, 08:57 PM
I can confirm that there's a feat (or ACF?) somewhere that lets you SA for half damage on constructs, undead, oozes, elementals and plants, but I can't remember what it's called or where it's from, sadly...

I'm pretty sure it's a rogue ACF. maybe from dungeonscape (to venture a guess).

Ravens_Wing
2010-04-29, 09:07 PM
I have found Razing Strike feat in the C.Adv which is kinda close to what i want but not close enough.....

The Rabbler
2010-04-29, 09:09 PM
check dungeonscape and MIC.

Temotei
2010-04-29, 09:11 PM
I have found Razing Strike feat in the C.Adv which is kinda close to what i want but not close enough.....

Greater demolition crystals don't work?

gdiddy
2010-04-29, 09:13 PM
Put five ranks in Craft: Construct and have a logical discussion with your DM?

Ravens_Wing
2010-04-29, 09:26 PM
Greater demolition crystals does seem to work and if i cant find anything else that is what i will liky use though i was hopping on something that would allow the character to crit/sneak constructs and not just an item. you get disarmed your boned.....

The Cat Goddess
2010-04-29, 09:27 PM
Just looked it up... yes, a Greater Demolition Crystal: 1) Does an extra 1d6 of damage to Constructs, 2) Treats your weapon as Adamantine for the purpose of overcoming the DR of Constructs & 3) Allows Critical Hits & Sneak Attacks against Constructs.

TrueDeath Crystal does the same against Undead except instead of the Adamantine property it gives the Ghost Touch property.

BobVosh
2010-04-29, 09:29 PM
I'm pretty sure it's a rogue ACF. maybe from dungeonscape (to venture a guess).

It is, and it is. Although I can't remember what it is called. It allows 1/2 Sneak attack dice vs normally immune creatures.

The Rabbler
2010-04-29, 09:32 PM
Greater demolition crystals does seem to work and if i cant find anything else that is what i will liky use though i was hopping on something that would allow the character to crit/sneak constructs and not just an item. you get disarmed your boned.....

how often do you get disarmed? especially by constructs? and besides, gauntlet chains solve this problem quite nicely.

Weezer
2010-04-29, 09:36 PM
It is, and it is. Although I can't remember what it is called. It allows 1/2 Sneak attack dice vs normally immune creatures.

It's called Penetrating strike, replaces trap sense and allows you to do half SA damage to immune creatures.

krossbow
2010-04-29, 09:40 PM
Golems are much different from Robots however; A golem is basically a big piece of some material that is somehow able to bend and move fluidly. Not much of a weakspot on an iron golem for example.

IMO, just split your Constructs into two types; Robot type ones that can be sneak attacked, like clockwork beings, and Golem type ones that don't have moving parts.

The Cat Goddess
2010-04-29, 09:44 PM
Finally dug out my Dungeonscape...

It's a Rogue ACF called Penatrating Strike. It replaces Trap Sense at 3rd level. (and you never get Trap Sense afterward, so be careful...) Also, the wording is brutal...

Whenever you flank a creature that is immune to extra damage from sneak attacks, you still deal 1/2 your dice in sneak attack damage. Does not work if opponent is immune to flanking, nor against creatures that are otherwise denied their Dex or are flat-footed but not flanked.

Overall, I don't think it's worth it... especially when Weapon Crystals are available.

Flickerdart
2010-04-29, 09:45 PM
The only downside to it replacing Trap Sense is that you can't get another ACF that also replaces Trap Sense. Trap Sense is useless.

Temotei
2010-04-29, 09:48 PM
how often do you get disarmed? especially by constructs? and besides, gauntlet chains solve this problem quite nicely.

Agreed. :smallcool:

Knaight
2010-04-29, 10:33 PM
Golems are much different from Robots however; A golem is basically a big piece of some material that is somehow able to bend and move fluidly. Not much of a weakspot on an iron golem for example.

IMO, just split your Constructs into two types; Robot type ones that can be sneak attacked, like clockwork beings, and Golem type ones that don't have moving parts.

Of course, even the Golem type ones have thinner parts, joint type deals, etc. A golem is formed to some extent, just a much less one, and should be susceptible to sneak attack. Now, an Earth Elemental is sketchy, though I would still probably allow it unless it took the form of a sphere.

Yorrin
2010-04-29, 11:54 PM
I second third fourth fifth the Greater Demolition Crystal.

Vizzerdrix
2010-04-30, 02:05 AM
Techsmith allows you to do that. And steal control of constructs. And gives you one for free. Faiths and Pantheons. :smallsmile:

Escheton
2010-04-30, 04:21 PM
Know vulnerabilities actually does the whole glowing weakness thing

Ravens_Wing
2010-04-30, 04:25 PM
Ok true its not often that one gets disarmed by a construct but the nice thing about sneak attack and the ability to crit is that it can be done with any weapon. it doesnt matter what your character is using at the time... I know thats nit picking but i was hoping for that kinda utility with out limiting it to a weapon. Actually i was hoping to posibly combine rogue with soccerer and sneak attack with spells. (with in 30 feat of course). I think thats allowed for normal sneak attack isnt it? using spells...

That techsmith Prc looks interesting I will have to give it a proper read when i get back to my books...

jindra34
2010-04-30, 05:21 PM
Ok true its not often that one gets disarmed by a construct but the nice thing about sneak attack and the ability to crit is that it can be done with any weapon. it doesnt matter what your character is using at the time... I know thats nit picking but i was hoping for that kinda utility with out limiting it to a weapon. Actually i was hoping to posibly combine rogue with soccerer and sneak attack with spells. (with in 30 feat of course). I think thats allowed for normal sneak attack isnt it? using spells...

That techsmith Prc looks interesting I will have to give it a proper read when i get back to my books...

Ah... weapon crystals can be switched from weapon to weapon. That part of the reason they rock.

The Cat Goddess
2010-04-30, 05:37 PM
Yes, you can sneak attack with spells... but only with spells that require a hit roll.

No sneak attacking with Fireball or Magic Missle, for example.

Ravens_Wing
2010-04-30, 05:41 PM
Yes, you can sneak attack with spells... but only with spells that require a hit roll.

No sneak attacking with Fireball or Magic Missle, for example.

Yeah thats what I thought.... besides you can only crit with spells that require a hit roll.

Tokiko Mima
2010-04-30, 05:56 PM

Assuming you had a class feature or spell that allowed you to damage constructs, you're still boned if disarmed. Disarming screws you over no matter what and anyone can be disarmed, even monks (though that requires a greater amount of brutality.) So the trick is not to allow yourself to be disarmed, and if you do either regain your weapon or surrender.

tonberrian
2010-04-30, 06:38 PM
Disarming screws you over no matter what and anyone can be disarmed, even monks (though that requires a greater amount of brutality.)

Gonna disagree here. Certainly a monk can be disarmed in a more literal sense ("Look, you stupid b******, you've got no arms left!"), but the monk can make unarmed attacks with any part of his body, so to extend the metaphor, "It's just a flesh wound!"

oxybe
2010-04-30, 06:44 PM
well tonberrian, you're playing a monk... you've already disabled yourself plenty as is. :smallbiggrin: :smalltongue:

Draz74
2010-04-30, 06:44 PM
The only downside to it replacing Trap Sense is that you can't get another ACF that also replaces Trap Sense. Trap Sense is useless.

QFT. Just go with Penetrating Strike. If you've got a halfway cooperative party, flanking your target is easy; and half Sneak Attack damage is still a lot of damage at higher levels.

tonberrian
2010-04-30, 06:51 PM
well tonberrian, you're playing a monk... you've already disabled yourself plenty as is. :smallbiggrin: :smalltongue:

No, see, when I play a monk, I punch people into ducks. (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Exalted)

Alternatively, I'll play an Unarmed Swordsage.

2xMachina
2010-05-01, 03:53 AM
Assuming you had a class feature or spell that allowed you to damage constructs, you're still boned if disarmed. Disarming screws you over no matter what and anyone can be disarmed, even monks (though that requires a greater amount of brutality.) So the trick is not to allow yourself to be disarmed, and if you do either regain your weapon or surrender.

You are disarmed! :smallwink:

Ravens_Wing
2010-05-01, 01:19 PM
You are disarmed! :smallwink:

I didnt know you had levels in Dashing Swordsman!

yeah penetrating strike does seem to be the closest thing to what I want. Still not 100% what I am looking for but what can you do.

absolmorph
2010-05-01, 04:44 PM
Gonna disagree here. Certainly a monk can be disarmed in a more literal sense ("Look, you stupid b******, you've got no arms left!"), but the monk can make unarmed attacks with any part of his body, so to extend the metaphor, "It's just a flesh wound!"
So, if a monk seduces a woman, he could be dealing unarmed damage with his... Well, you know.

Eldariel
2010-05-01, 04:56 PM
So, if a monk seduces a woman, he could be dealing unarmed damage with his... Well, you know.

He can deal non-lethal.

pffh
2010-05-01, 05:04 PM
He can deal non-lethal.

That's all sort of kinky.... and now I'm stuck with a very weird image in my head.

Scoot
2010-05-01, 05:26 PM
While we're looking at magic items.
Is there a disruption (insta-kill on undead) version for constructs? Because if there is, might want to look into that.

Mace of Smiting (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicWeapons.htm#maceofSmiting)

DMG. Insta-kill, No Save, on constructs if you crit.

Scarey Nerd
2010-05-10, 11:59 AM
Quite an old thread, but I'll post nonetheless: Techsmith is DEFINITELY what you want. At level 10, if they crit a construct, it dies without a save. They also get bonuses against constructs before that, can speak with them using telepathy, and get their own construct called a Gondsman.

Irreverent Fool
2010-05-10, 01:06 PM
Not what you were asking for, but a Golembane scarab (http://www.imarvintpa.com/dndlive/items.php?ID=1509) lets you ignore their DR for 2500g.

Greater demolition crystal requires the weapon to be like +3, but GMW can fix that for hours/lvl.

This is an excellent point! I don't know why this never occurred to me. I shall have to remind my players of this.

obnoxious
sig