PDA

View Full Version : Help needed: Historic & Historical

Kobold-Bard
2010-04-30, 01:05 AM
Two terms relating to history films sources: Historic and historical.

I know one means it's a film that was made in the past, and the other is a film that was made later to portray the past.

For the life of me though I can't remember which is which and Google is hating me right now.

If anyone knows which is which I'd appreciate it.
Kicks self for being a history student and forgetting something so basic >:(

Thanks in advance,

K-B

Serpentine
2010-04-30, 01:10 AM
Doesn't seem quite right, to me, but I think it's thusly: A "historic" film is one made in the past of significant importance to the presence ("the capture of Ned Kelly was a historic event"); a "historical" film is one that portrays a past event ("Ned Kelly, starring Heath Ledger, was a historical film.")
("Ned Kelly and His Gang is a historic historical film" :smallwink:)

Superglucose
2010-04-30, 01:12 AM
That's it. Historic would be one that goes down in history, a classic if you will. E.G. "Casablanca is a historic romance."

Historical would be one that's about history, either completely accurate or partially accurate. E.G. "Lawrence of Arabia is a historical film about T.E. Lawrence and his experiences during WW1."

Kobold-Bard
2010-04-30, 01:17 AM
Apparently my lecturer has lied to me then, because this was something he told us in our first ever lecture with him.

Oh well, thanks much.

Yora
2010-04-30, 01:26 AM
Don't trust in some random people on the internet. Especially if it's about terms used in science. Scientific terms are often used slightly different than in everyday language.
It's quite possible that experts have established the terms as the lecturer said. But of course, he too could be wrong. :smallwink:

Serpentine
2010-04-30, 01:35 AM
They're not scientific terms :smalltongue: No matter what historians of the past have tried to say!

Kobold-Bard
2010-04-30, 01:37 AM
They're not scientific terms :smalltongue: No matter what historians of the past have tried to say!

Exactly. History isn't a science. It's an ART dammit!! :smallfurious:
:smalltongue:

Meh, if I can't remember which is which, and random people on the internet can't tell me I just won't use the terms. I was just trying to make him think I'd been paying attention in the lectures anyway :smallwink:

Serpentine
2010-04-30, 01:41 AM
Meh, Google definitions, then:
Historic: belonging to the past; of what is important or famous in the past
Historical: of or relating to the study of history

Eddums
2010-04-30, 05:18 AM
Exactly. History isn't a science. It's an ART dammit!! :smallfurious:

This. Oh so much.

Me, bitter? Goodness no. :smalltongue:

Serpentine
2010-04-30, 05:30 AM
Next question: Is archaeology an art or a science? :smallamused:

(An essay question in 1st-year archaeology. My answer: Both! :smallbiggrin: Because why have one opinion, when you can have two?!)

Kobold-Bard
2010-04-30, 06:18 AM
Next question: Is archaeology an art or a science? :smallamused:

(An essay question in 1st-year archaeology. My answer: Both! :smallbiggrin: Because why have one opinion, when you can have two?!)

Is it an artistic science or a scientific art though?

Essays went in. Gotta love the easy modules. Writing 3x 1000word essays is ridiculously easy.