PDA

View Full Version : [Pathfinder] Magic weapon from the deck of many things

Stone Heart
2010-04-30, 02:03 AM
We are starting a new campaign and the dm liked the idea of the deck of many things so he allowed us to draw from it. I amazingly (he was the one who drew from the deck for us) got the King Queen and Jack of hearts.

Since we are just starting the campaign he allowed me to make the major magic weapon, as long as it is not ridiculous, up to an enhancement bonus of up to +6.

So any suggestions? I am not getting many good ideas, like just toss on the icy, flaming and shock burst, but I want something better.

If it helps my character is a goblin fighter (focusing on mobility and moves like spring attack and whirlwind later) but we are just starting at level 3 right now, so I don't have all of that yet.

If you need a character background he is a rising young king (from the king of hearts) of the goblins traveling with his bodyguard (from the jack of hearts, who was also my character's fathers bodyguard) and the weapon is a family heirloom.

any suggestions would be appreciated, and it could also be split into two +3 weapons, but I don't feel that two weapon fighting is worth it, does anyone feel differently on this?

herrhauptmann
2010-04-30, 02:19 AM
Stick with the single weapon. You've got a mandatory +1 enhancement, and a +5 to spread the love. If you go TWF, it's a mandatory +1 on each, with a mere +2 for extra goodies.
Perhaps you could sacrifice a +1 for a weird weapon material.
Always a fan of the greensteel, extra damage vs outsiders.
Kaorti resin for extra on crits
Gold/Platinum (Magic of Faerun) for getting the biggest, heaviest weapon damage possible.
Perhaps you should have your weapon be sentient. It makes sense considering you're LEVEL 3 with a +6 cost weapon, all because you drew from the deck.
Magebane: MIC
Blessed: BoED
Everbright: MiC
Whirlwind attack is a trap in CharOp. So is Great Cleave. And most people here will suggest against even using Weapon Focus unless it's a prereq.

What did everyone else get?

Godskook
2010-04-30, 02:24 AM
Do *NOT* split it into 2 +3 magic weapons. The price cut alone isn't worth the choice. Additionally, you'll be spending most of the '+' on equivalents, and one +6 weapon has '+5' available for equivalents while 2 +3 weapons only have '+4' available, meaning less abilities overall.

sonofzeal
2010-04-30, 02:31 AM
If this is going to be far above the rest of the group's arsenal, I'd pick up a +1 XYZ-bane Impaling Greatsword of Shadow Striking, where XYZ is whatever you expect to see a lot of. The Bane will be nice, but the Impaling and Shadow Striking will mostly just help you be universally useful. They'll let you get hits and do damage more reliably, which will help you stay involved in fights you might otherwise be sitting out of. That makes them "fun", but not necessarily "powerful". You'll enjoy it, and others won't feel overshadowed.

Stone Heart
2010-04-30, 02:31 AM
Sorry I meant to say that I have +6 to use on it, it was +7 and I just did that in my head when I was typing.

Also I have never had a sentient weapon, what would that entail?

Edit: oh and we start tomorrow, I've only seen mine and one others, and he has a minus on all throws, a bunch of jewels and outsider hates him and his friend turns on him, but if he kills the next monster he levels up.

herrhauptmann
2010-05-01, 11:31 AM
Sentient weapons are like having an NPC in the party. Except this one CAN"T be teh DM's pc, because it's a freakin weapon. They've got personalities, often have their own goals. They've also got abilities, which range from minor to major. Minor could be, cast light 3/day. But the weapon decides to do it, so you don't lose an action making light. They might also do it when you want darkness.
Major could be something like 'cast heal' on wielder, or greater dispel magic at chosen target. Of course, if you disagree with your weapon, you might need to make will saves to avoid being controlled by it, and if it's too big a conflict, you might have it dispel you.
All that is up to the DM's discretion.

lsfreak
2010-05-01, 11:42 AM
Keen Collision Bodyfeeder falchion is one of my favorite general-purpose ones, but it favors 'stay in the thick of things and fight' rather than Spring Attack (assuming by 'Spring Attack' you mean you'll only be getting a single attack a round, rather than 3-4 at mid levels). 15-20 crit range, extra 5 damage (multiplied by crits), and you get half the damage you dealt on a crit as temporary hit points.

Greenish
2010-05-01, 12:26 PM
Keen Collision Bodyfeeder falchion is one of my favorite general-purpose ones, but it favors 'stay in the thick of things and fight' rather than Spring Attack (assuming by 'Spring Attack' you mean you'll only be getting a single attack a round, rather than 3-4 at mid levels). 15-20 crit range, extra 5 damage (multiplied by crits), and you get half the damage you dealt on a crit as temporary hit points.For bonus points, see if it can be made of Kaorti resin (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20031014a). (Maybe by dropping a few enchants.)

Keen Ribbon Falchion is just sexy. :smallcool: