PDA

View Full Version : The Aasimar Race. (4e) (now fixed)

Chainsaw Hobbit
2010-04-30, 11:13 AM
Aasimar
Heavenly people of light and purity, children of the astral sea.

Racial Traits

Ability Scores +2 Charisma, +2 Wisdom or Strength
Size Medium
Speed 6 squares
Vision Low-light

Languages Common, Supernal
Skill Bonuses +2 religion, +2 heal
Astral Resistance The Aasimar has resistance to radiant damage equal to 5+ half the Aasimar's level
Astral Challenge The Aasimar has +1 to attacks vs non-bloodied targets
Daylight The Aasimar gains the use of the Astral Daylight power

Daylight Aasimar Racial Power
Daylight bursts from you in all directions aiding your allies.
Encounter
Standard Action
Close burst 3 Effect Allies in the burst can immediately make a saving throw and for a number of turns equal to your wisdom modifier you are surrounded by a 3 square aura of bright light.

Play an Aasimar if you want:
- To be holy and pure and stuff like that
- To make a kick-ass paladin, cleric, avenger, or invoker

Tell me what you think.

Silverscale
2010-04-30, 11:48 AM
Sounds cool to me I'd use it to make a Paladin.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2010-04-30, 05:47 PM
Do you think Astral Challenge should be replaced by Daylight?

Nidogg
2010-04-30, 06:00 PM
No. Daylight as a spell like is what gave 3.5 its+1la (that and the stats) Scince 4e doesnt have La(to my knowledge) you want to keep away from overpowered abilitys. If you want a better power make astral challenge melle only , 1d4 or less and at will

Chainsaw Hobbit
2010-04-30, 06:19 PM
No. Daylight as a spell like is what gave 3.5 its+1la (that and the stats) Scince 4e doesnt have La(to my knowledge) you want to keep away from overpowered abilitys. If you want a better power make astral challenge melle only , 1d4 or less and at will

If astral challenge is melee than the Aasimar invoker doesn't work.

DiscipleofBob
2010-05-01, 01:41 AM
Astral Challenge should be until the end of the Aasimar's next turn, not save ends.

You RARELY see save ends duration on an encounter power.

Gralamin
2010-05-01, 02:19 AM
I would not allow this in any game I run, and for a good reason: This race is built to be used basically exclusively with paladins, going so far as to shoe-horn itself into the defender role with its encounter. Races should be able to fit across multiple roles.

erikun
2010-05-01, 01:46 PM
Languages would sensibly be Common and Supernal if the Aasimar still have a connection to the astral sea.

Deny the Weak doesn't make much sense thematically. Not only is it weaker than the Tiefling version (which affects attacks against any defense) but hitting wounded stuff harder doesn't exactly fit the theme of most angels. Or is it a bonus to the Aasimar's AC? Why would it apply when the opponent is bloodied, then? Why just AC?

Astral Challenge is worded rather strangely (it should be a Free Action if it triggers off a hit) and it should be until the end of next turn, not save ends. I have seen marking work well on non-defenders before, just try combining Astral Challange with a Warlock's Eyebite, after all. However, just Wisdom modifier feels a bit too low for something that is limited to once per fight. At least, the damage needs to increase with tier advancement.

Ultimately, I wouldn't use this race in my games either. They aren't really distinct from a general "Pally Diva race" and look very generic at the moment.

Touchy
2010-05-01, 02:02 PM
I would not allow this in any game I run, and for a good reason: This race is built to be used basically exclusively with paladins, going so far as to shoe-horn itself into the defender role with its encounter. Races should be able to fit across multiple roles.

Exactly, even the dwarves got a feat in Arcane Powers, dwarves of all people... then again, dwarves do everything better than elves, or at-least do it in a much more kick-ass way.

Mando Knight
2010-05-01, 03:21 PM
Exactly, even the dwarves got a feat in Arcane Powers, dwarves of all people... then again, dwarves do everything better than elves, or at-least do it in a much more kick-ass way.

Except giving people cancer. :smalltongue:

Chainsaw Hobbit
2010-05-01, 03:58 PM
I fixed the race now, tell me what you think.

Gralamin
2010-05-01, 04:00 PM
That is much better, and useful for any role (I would add in that you get to make a saving throw). It might be a tad strong, perhaps choose to damage or give saving throws? Not sure.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2010-05-01, 05:49 PM
Thanks for all the feedback everyone, is there anything else?

DiscipleofBob
2010-05-01, 07:05 PM
An encounter power that has any effect with a duration of "until the end of the encounter" is broken. Even if said effect is just glowing.

EDIT: Not to mention the initial effect is broken. Free saving throw to all allies in close burst 3? That's better than what most Leaders get from their entire class!

demidracolich
2010-05-01, 07:14 PM
the shifters powers are until end of encounter. (though you do have to be bloodied.)

Mando Knight
2010-05-01, 07:20 PM
An encounter power that has any effect with a duration of "until the end of the encounter" is broken. Even if said effect is just glowing.

EDIT: Not to mention the initial effect is broken. Free saving throw to all allies in close burst 3? That's better than what most Leaders get from their entire class!

Sunlight-without-instagibbing-vampires isn't broken, since it's basically a weaker Sunrod for free. The ST to all allies might be a touch overpowered, but ST-focused Leaders can chuck out more than that, with the occasional bonus. You might consider a weak heal instead (recover Wis mod HP)...

DiscipleofBob
2010-05-01, 07:24 PM
Sunlight-without-instagibbing-vampires isn't broken, since it's basically a weaker Sunrod for free. The ST to all allies might be a touch overpowered, but ST-focused Leaders can chuck out more than that, with the occasional bonus. You might consider a weak heal instead (recover Wis mod HP)...

I disagree on the light, mostly because the group I'm in routinely deals with darkness as a terrain hazard since we started with limited equipment and sunrods and the like have been rare until now.

But also a racial power should not be better than most of what a class can do.

I agree that recover Wis mod HP might be a solution though.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2010-05-02, 03:36 PM
Is there anything else that needs fixing?

erikun
2010-05-02, 08:38 PM
Well, a bonus to WIS/CHA doesn't make someone a particularly good Avenger or Invoker. At least, no more that a good Sorcerer, Warlock, or anything else that uses one of those stats. Are there any PHB3 classes that use WIS/CHA? I think the Ardent does, but I don't recall for sure.

Astral Challenge still doesn't make sense thematically, or at least I'm not seeing the connection. Only attack those who are healthy and can defend themselves? I'm not sure I follow.

Daylight seems messy, effectively being three powers in one. I would suggest just allow all allies a saving throw, and removing any darkness effects in the burst. Drop the damage to undead, as it feels like tacking on too much and you wouldn't want to nuke an ally.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2010-05-02, 08:43 PM
I just powered down daylight.

Mando Knight
2010-05-02, 08:48 PM
I disagree on the light, mostly because the group I'm in routinely deals with darkness as a terrain hazard since we started with limited equipment and sunrods and the like have been rare until now.

Sunrods are 2 gp a piece, and provide 20 squares of bright light for 4 hours. Torches are 1 sp each, and provide 5 squares of bright light for one hour. This power grants 3 squares of light for five minutes.

Also note that Wizards can use Light, which shines like a torch and is at-will.

demidracolich
2010-05-02, 08:48 PM
Mabye you could have it give +2 to one ability score, then +2 either of two other ability scores like in PHB3.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2010-05-03, 06:19 PM
Is Daylight still overpowered?

Mando Knight
2010-05-03, 07:52 PM
No, but "X rounds" isn't a parameter used very frequently by WotC anymore. Again, a Wizard's Light spell is better for lighting purposes and is at-will, so making it an until-the-end-of-the-encounter deal isn't really that cheesy.

Crossfiyah
2010-05-03, 09:30 PM
Deva already did it.