PDA

View Full Version : Deth Muncher's Destructive and Meandering Random Banter #141

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6

Deth Muncher
2010-05-04, 05:50 PM
The post sucks. You'll get it soon.

I bought thirteen packages of ramen noodles for $1.95 earlier, at wal-mart. The college kid in me is ecstatic.

It would be more ecstatic if you ate the ramen instead of it.

Cobalt
2010-05-04, 06:56 PM
It would be more ecstatic if you ate the ramen instead of it.

I’m slightly disappointed in myself for not getting that right away.

Also (To the last post in the other thread that was moved into this one), “Permanent Pixie in the Playground…” Doesn’t exactly roll off the tongue.

Coidzor
2010-05-04, 07:04 PM
indeed, best not to really countenance it.

So, I just got Just Cause and Mercenaries 2 for 5 dollars each.

Will I be able to enjoy them both?

druid91
2010-05-04, 08:27 PM
Is it possible to label someone "Permanent Pixie?"

Bothi: You seem to misapprehend the purpose and mechanisms of the board. I won't actually say "Lurk Moar," but maybe actually integrating more with the community here would be good.

Golentan, you are an eldritch horror from beyond the stars, if you want to I doubt anyone will try to stop you.

coincidentally I saw a movie that might have featured you..... called "hellboy"

Phase
2010-05-04, 09:53 PM
So, I just got a job offer, my first in ever.

It's a 2.5 day a week thing, several hours a day, $12 an hour. It will work together with the research I'm doing at the same place to be a really super cool thing that might net me $720 net gain.

Deth Muncher
2010-05-04, 09:57 PM
So, I just got a job offer, my first in ever.

It's a 2.5 day a week thing, several hours a day, $12 an hour. It will work together with the research I'm doing at the same place to be a really super cool thing that might net me $720 net gain.

O_o So, howzabout you get the rest of the Playground in on this?

absolmorph
2010-05-04, 10:35 PM
Is it possible to label someone "Permanent Pixie?"

Bothi: You seem to misapprehend the purpose and mechanisms of the board. I won't actually say "Lurk Moar," but maybe actually integrating more with the community here would be good.
I'd love to be labeled "Permanent Pixie."

Anuan
2010-05-04, 11:59 PM
Arrrgh, I can't stand THE FRIGGIN BAGPIPES!!!!

Problem is, what is apparently a wedding is going on down the block and they are playing bagpipes. LOUD. NON STOP.

This (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vG4LS9G_oy8) might change your mind. Don't be put off at the start by the fact he's just playing bagpipes.

Dogmantra
2010-05-05, 01:13 AM
I'd love to be labeled "Permanent Pixie."

On a very shortlived forum that my Best Online Buddy started, he gave me a custom title. I chose "Banned". 'twas very confusing for all involved.

absolmorph
2010-05-05, 01:20 AM
On a very shortlived forum that my Best Online Buddy started, he gave me a custom title. I chose "Banned". 'twas very confusing for all involved.
That is amusing.
I wish I was that creative.

Coidzor
2010-05-05, 01:29 AM
Does anyone need advice on how to make social situations awkward and alienate oneself from people that don't know that well?

I mention it only because I feel like an expert right now.

I managed to get some death threats today on facebook of all places, actually. So, yeah, you have my sympathies.

Why am I suddenly thinking of Bruce Banner and how he could be worked into such a status?

Player_Zero
2010-05-05, 03:26 AM
Does anyone need advice on how to make social situations awkward and alienate oneself from people that don't know that well?

I mention it only because I feel like an expert right now.

There there. You're not an expert. You're a rank amateur. You're small-time on the alienation, baby.

And on a completely unrelated note, as I am like to do, Stan Lee cameos in EVERYTHING, huh? Absolutely everything.

P.S. Joey. More coffee.

Dogmantra
2010-05-05, 04:03 AM
There there. You're not an expert. You're a rank amateur. You're small-time on the alienation, baby.

Oh Zero, your general apathy and distaste for everything is oddly comforting.

Player_Zero
2010-05-05, 04:16 AM
Yeah yeah, I'm a saint.

Anyway, toy gets struck by lightning and becomes a giant robot? Oh Stan Lee. Oh you.

Phase
2010-05-05, 05:13 AM
Well, what would happen to a toy if it were struck by lightning? It's not exactly about to die, now is it?

Player_Zero
2010-05-05, 05:36 AM
My point is that lightning doesn't usually turn things giant for no reason.

Also, this main character is useless.

Stan Lee for main character. He'll defeat the aliens by asking them for more coffee.

Kobold-Bard
2010-05-05, 05:45 AM
My point is that lightning doesn't usually turn things giant for no reason....

Power Rangers would respectfully disagree with you. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8G6ZKE3ztYo&feature=related)

Player_Zero
2010-05-05, 05:49 AM
To be fair, that was magic. This was real lightning.

Dogmantra
2010-05-05, 07:31 AM
Ah, but how do you know it wasn't magic lightning, then?
Didn't think about that one.

Quincunx
2010-05-05, 07:39 AM
My husband found another one in-game.

"You're married? But. . .
"--Minta's a girl??? But Minta keeps talking about dps and parses. . .
"No, [women] don't. Not that I noticed."

You might say that it's a good sign my guildies look at game-playing behaviors to determine the real person and not at roleplayed hyperactivity and cuteness. I say that being competitive and competent shouldn't disqualify you from being female.

At least this one didn't manage to get it completely bassackward and immediately question the assumption that my husband was, in fact, a guy. :smallwink:

Player_Zero
2010-05-05, 07:46 AM
My husband found another one in-game.

I choose to believe that your husband just found another magic lightning in game since no explanation of the subject here was forthcoming.

Mando Knight
2010-05-05, 08:30 AM
And on a completely unrelated note, as I am like to do, Stan Lee cameos in EVERYTHING, huh? Absolutely everything.

'Nuff said!

Thufir
2010-05-05, 08:31 AM
Just noticed, Deth Muncher, the link to the last thread is broken. It's got a xn--http-fb7a// between the http:// and the rest of the URL.

absolmorph
2010-05-05, 09:50 AM
To be fair, that was magic. This was real lightning.
You got some Shocklate Powerthirst?!
I'm jealous.

Amiel
2010-05-05, 09:55 AM
Stan "Faux Hefner" Lee's best cameo was in Iron Man.

Also, I are old, 25...halfway to 50; I took the scenic route.

Cleverdan22
2010-05-05, 12:27 PM
Bwahahaha, we have a sub in Web Page Design today, so its Halo Trial all day.

Rutskarn
2010-05-05, 03:00 PM
Hell is a place where Ranchero music is played directly outside ones room at full volume, all day.

Right now, the difference between Dante and me is that Dante had the option of leaving.

randman22222
2010-05-05, 04:57 PM
Question: Are they any playgrounders from Kuala Lumpur?

I'd really rather not go back this summer, and not know anyone there.

Hmm, do you think it'd be wise to start a thread about this, if no one knows any here?

@V: That made me laugh, and was discouraging at the same time. :smallconfused: *shrug*

Jibar
2010-05-05, 05:21 PM
Question: Are they any playgrounders from Kuala Lumpur?

Sounds like where Oompa Loompas come from...
Just sayin'.
Sometimes I forget how silly sounding real places are.

Je dit Viola
2010-05-05, 08:22 PM
So, my younger brother was messing around with genealogy charts, following my family's records, then crossing them with the internet records. Eventually, a Ship Captain who brought hundreds of people over to the New World from England. I totally expected it to end soon enough because of the difficulty of keeping records in the medieval time period.

However, to my surprise, it didn't end. Rather, it ran aground with a king. Because kings are famous and most of their lineage was recorded, it was rather easy to follow. Many of them, I looked up on Wikipedia.

And so, following along, the largest line went from English and Scottish kings, down to French kings. It continued along through kings, princesses, and emperors on both sides (father and mother of them), to the Holy Roman Empire and through several 'heathen' leaders, and to the emperors of the Roman Empire.

I continued (following three different strands of ancestors, some stopping and some splitting up so that there was a maximum of four known who were alive at the same time), down to many Eastern Europe/Middle Eastern place (the strongest line at that point was the founders and royalty of Troy). Slightly amused, I continued following until I recognized some biblical names, such as Ruth, Judah, and some others. I did not know that I was a direct descendant of Judah on my paternal side. Wow. Then, after that, as I followed it, it just went along with the Biblical record.

So my brother and I started looking, hoping we could just get into the triple digit years. I was really surprised to see it went way past the AD years!

How far has everyone else traced their ancestory (regardless of how certain you are about its correctness)?

Rutskarn
2010-05-05, 08:43 PM
Lucas Tales:

6:02 "What if I convinced everyone that you were from New York?"
6:04 "What if I convinced everyone that (x) played with Tonka trucks?"
6:05 (strange, high-pitched cartoon voice from inside the shower, event hough he's not showering) "I'm trying to get laid!"
6:12 (following me out the front door) "What if you were a dog? What kind of dog would you be?"
6:31 (directly after I come back) "What if you shot a german shepherd?"
6:31 "What if you hit a dog with your car?"

He didn't receive a straight answer to any of these, although I've tried to address his strangeness in the past. I've since found that ignoring him does not increase or decrease the volume of queries.

Phase
2010-05-05, 09:43 PM
Rutskarn, you should just patent this guy and get it over with. You can then sell him to a TV comedy primetime series, where he will quickly become the ensemble darkhorse.

Player_Zero
2010-05-06, 12:28 AM
You'd think so. But he probably does just have mental problems.

Mando Knight
2010-05-06, 12:34 AM
Lucas Tales:

6:02 "What if I convinced everyone that you were from New York?"
6:04 "What if I convinced everyone that (x) played with Tonka trucks?"
6:05 (strange, high-pitched cartoon voice from inside the shower, event hough he's not showering) "I'm trying to get laid!"
6:12 (following me out the front door) "What if you were a dog? What kind of dog would you be?"
6:31 (directly after I come back) "What if you shot a german shepherd?"
6:31 "What if you hit a dog with your car?"

Y'see, Keith an' I were talkin' about this the other day...

Not now, Ellis.

Rutskarn
2010-05-06, 01:28 AM
You'd think so. But he probably does just have mental problems.

Oh, he probably does, but not in the way you think. See, the theory is, his hyperactivity is caused by medication. He's pretty normal around his parents, and in class.

Fifty-Eyed Fred
2010-05-06, 01:40 AM
stuff

It's actually not that difficult to be related to famous people of the past; for example, most people in Europe are descended from Charlemagne. The further back you go, the more likely you are to find a famous ancestor.

arguskos
2010-05-06, 01:49 AM
Oh, he probably does, but not in the way you think. See, the theory is, his hyperactivity is caused by medication. He's pretty normal around his parents, and in class.
That's what you kids are calling it these days? Medicine? No wonder everything is all jacked up. :smallamused:

Dallas-Dakota
2010-05-06, 03:35 AM
Rand: GOooo tooooo Europe. England or The Netherlands! Or you could go to Denmark and stalk Give him my regards meet-up with him.

*snip*
How far has everyone else traced their ancestory (regardless of how certain you are about its correctness)?

Somewhere into 700 AD I think.
I'm descened from King Radbout, a great frysian leader who kept powning the **** out of the romans.

Zeb The Troll
2010-05-06, 03:46 AM
How far has everyone else traced their ancestory (regardless of how certain you are about its correctness)?We have some gaps in the middle, but my daughter is pretty sure we're direct decendants of Adam. And Moses.

:smalltongue:

Dallas-Dakota
2010-05-06, 03:49 AM
I'm the descendent of King Radbout, a great Frysian king who kicked the **** out of the romans in his spare time.

Quincunx
2010-05-06, 04:20 AM
Note to self: When visiting Rutskarn, punch his dormmate in the face in lieu of an introduction. Gain one (1) worshipper. If naked at the time, gain one (1) acolyte.

On ancestry: Father's side been tracked back 16 generations, then hops back across the Atlantic and disappears in a muddle of excess Dutch letters. Mother's side terminates at my mother, in a mass of lies, claims, and counter-claims. I have the likely surname of my grandmother now, but as for which of the liars it was, noooooooo idea.

My birthday's soon and I have no material desires. Good for me and life in general. Proving to be very vexing for my poor dear husband looking for a gift. WTB ability to better fake interest in gifts. :smallsigh:

Amiel
2010-05-06, 06:29 AM
Most people in Europe may actually be descended from Genghis Khan.

There was a study conducted over here on lineage, descendants and genetics. It was found that everyone is related in some distant manner.

I'm actually descended from Manchurian emperors.

Kobold-Bard
2010-05-06, 06:42 AM
Just listened to Rhianna's Unfaithful. Basically she's a girl having an affair then complaining about how she feels bad about cheating on her boyfriend because she knows it's killing him.

I don't know about the rest of you but I can see a very simple solution to this: don't cheat on him. If it's making him miserable and you miserable then just stop doing it. It's not like this is something that's out of your control, only a very stupid person would keep doing this when it's making them miserable.

If there's supposed to be some deep meaning behind this song then obviously I'm missing it, if not then this is just a very stupid song that shouldn't exist :smallannoyed:

Dallas-Dakota
2010-05-06, 08:58 AM
On ancestry: Father's side been tracked back 16 generations, then hops back across the Atlantic and disappears in a muddle of excess Dutch letters.
I could probably translate them, if you typed them over and sent them to me via E-mail.

Maybe, if I have time and am bored.

Ranna
2010-05-06, 09:52 AM

There was a study conducted over here on lineage, descendants and genetics. It was found that everyone is related in some distant manner.

I've heard that, the evidence has something to do with blood groups too

I honestly have no real care about where my roots come from I suppose i'd care if there was some terrible genetic illness but thankfully all my family have died from over indulgence in difference vices. (not quite sure of the thankfully part of that sentence but it is better than knowing I am going to get some hideous illness)

My mum is dead into family tree stuff though maybe its something only certain people really care about.

Deth Muncher
2010-05-06, 12:46 PM
Question: I know a lot of older Playgrounders are changing their names from their long, well known names to abbreviations. For example, BolddyRedCommie has been BRC for a while now, and Face of Evil is now FoE...why? Why not just leave it?

Kobold-Bard
2010-05-06, 12:50 PM
Question: I know a lot of older Playgrounders are changing their names from their long, well known names to abbreviations. For example, BolddyRedCommie has been BRC for a while now, and Face of Evil is now FoE...why? Why not just leave it?

They're trying to fit in with the kids by using their new shorthand lingo :smalltongue:

Dogmantra
2010-05-06, 12:50 PM

Tell you what, when I become well known I will change my name.

I will change it to Dogmantra!, which ties in with the fact I want to legally add an exclamation mark a bang (tee hee) to my name.

Eldpollard
2010-05-06, 01:25 PM
I think I'm supposed to be distantly related to Robbie Burns. Or Walter Scott. It was a famous Scottish guy anyway.

Kneenibble
2010-05-06, 01:37 PM
Some of my ancestors grew onions by the Black Sea.

Others stole cows and sheep from the English.

I'm trying to coax a pun out of this, but I haven't put on enough jewelry yet today.

CurlyKitGirl
2010-05-06, 03:05 PM
Um, wow . . . Thufir, your avvie? Je l'adore. Je l'adore.

Pratchett fangirling aside . . .
Whooooboy.
Busiest five odd days ever, culminating in the heart attack that was yesterday.
Sent my essay off at the usual time, was relaxing, when on a whim I checked my email at about nine o'clock.
With a request to fully revise my essay by nine o'clock this morning at the very latest.
So I do what any normal student would do: have a heart attack. Then narrow my eyes in suspicion at one of Professor's comments. She did not ask me to include analysis of the bonus transcription in the essay. Peeved. Midly snarky reply sent back along the lines of 'NO problem, but you didn't actually ask me to comment on the transcription that was completely voluntary'.
Then no more than half an hour later my mum phones up in a state of mild panic.
One of my cousin's children was in hospital. Said child is about seven or eight months old. And was born with a heart murmur that reuqired surgery to fix. Child (as I'll now call him) had been rushed to hospital sometime around lunch because he'd started having trouble breathing while being babysat at his Grandmamma's (my aunt's). My aunt, because she couldn't go in the hospital with Child and his mum rushed down to my mum and had a freak out all afternoon. Child's her second grandchild.
Around about seven or eight Child was given a mostly-all-clear but'll be in hospital for another day or two to make sure the heart surgery he had when he was even littler will hold out.
How do I know this?
Because after Aunt had calmed down enough (and Uncle had arrived with the car (her car's broken down)) she left to go visit CHild. And then mum phoned me and proceeded to have a post-crisis freak-out.
Lasted until almost one o'clock.
Cue me getting up at seven o'clock to essentially rewrite my essay. Child's pefectly fine though. He has a very mild case of pneumonia brought on by a slightly weaker heart then normal. But he'll be fine and out of the hospital by the middle of next week. How do I know? Mum phoned up about an hour and a half ago with the good news.
Glad I don't need to have a third-hand freak-out. Child is ridiculously adorable, and I don't want any of my second cousins to die.

On a much lighter note: went to check out possible second-year accomodation. First house we checked was perfect. Two four bed houses, practically next door. Each one has a kitchen. Each one has a shower and a bath.Best of all? A garden and it's literally one minute from the front door to my faculty.
I'm going there. No doubt in my mind.

Eldpollard
2010-05-06, 03:40 PM
Oh yeah, deciding to watch the election while drinking a constant supply of coffee. This will only go well.
Not like I'm working at 9AM or anything...

Kobold-Bard
2010-05-06, 03:44 PM
Oh yeah, deciding to watch the election while drinking a constant supply of coffee. This will only go well.
Not like I'm working at 9AM or anything...

Which channel? Proper one or the channel 4 one?

Eldpollard
2010-05-06, 03:48 PM
Which channel? Proper one or the channel 4 one?

The channel 4 one. This way I get the same results, but delivered by David Mitchell, which, let's face it, is better.

Kobold-Bard
2010-05-06, 03:50 PM
The channel 4 one. This way I get the same results, but delivered by David Mitchell, which, let's face it, is better.

Very true.

Also: WOO!! 10pm, purdah is officially over and my place of employment is flooded with work. YAY earnings :smallbiggrin:

Eldpollard
2010-05-06, 03:55 PM
Very true.

Also: WOO!! 10pm, purdah is officially over and my place of employment is flooded with work. YAY earnings :smallbiggrin:

Well, no. Purdah's not really over until all the results are through.
Where do you work?

Kobold-Bard
2010-05-06, 03:58 PM
Well, no. Purdah's not really over until all the results are through.
Where do you work?

Ah well I'm not in until next week so it's close enough for me :smallamused:

I work in a call centre doing surveys. Purdah meant we couldn't do research that could be considered impartial which meant we had to postpone two major projects until next week. As such the work dried up (lots of staff + not many hours to go round = lots of sad staff).

Edge
2010-05-06, 04:01 PM
Ah, the election...

I have just spent the past fifteen minutes on MSN with a friend discussing how Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann would work with the current politicians (with extra GAR) instead of the standard cast.

Castaras
2010-05-06, 04:07 PM

My grandmother managed to trace my family back to 1636, iirc. Which was a wedding of a farmer with my last name with a young lady. This would be on my father's side. On my mother's, I'm not really sure of much. :smallredface:

Eldpollard
2010-05-06, 04:07 PM
So, what politicians really need are drill powered spaceships? Why has the news not mentioned this?

Fifty-Eyed Fred
2010-05-06, 04:16 PM
It's a media conspiracy!

I love the constituencies rushing to be first to declare, and getting delayed by a higher turnout. :smallcool:

Cobalt
2010-05-06, 04:32 PM

o rly?

I always found this fairly obivous, and was pretty shocked when fellow students were suprised to discover that they were effectively dating their cousins. Meh. Guess they never thought about it.

Kobold-Bard
2010-05-06, 04:41 PM
Pringles and beer are such natural bedfellows. They should just be sold together and get it over with.

absolmorph
2010-05-06, 04:47 PM
o rly?

I always found this fairly obivous, and was pretty shocked when fellow students were suprised to discover that they were effectively dating their cousins. Meh. Guess they never thought about it.
I've thought about it.
Since I've thought about it, I'm willing to make jokes about incest (using my Facebook "family," which is a joke on its own). Most of them make my friend's uncomfortable.

Fifty-Eyed Fred
2010-05-06, 04:51 PM
I'm a walking bunch of recessive genes, so I'm rather used to the idea. :smallwink:

Malfunctioned
2010-05-06, 04:56 PM
I get to make plenty of incest jokes to my friend group, mainly because my great-grandparents were first cousins and I'm pretty physically odd, I'm a little short ('bout 5'7''), very skinny, broad shouldered, extremely long limbs and also extremely flexible. I'm also the first person in two generations of my family to not have brown eyes and the colour of my eyes is also nothing like any of the non-brown members either. I also have red hair in a completely brunette family but since that comes from a bottle I don't think it counts.

I'm not too sure if it's the incest of just general oddness, but it's fun.

Rutskarn
2010-05-06, 05:11 PM
I'm seized with the sudden, urgent, and unexplainable need to see a French version of Hammer's classic. I don't even know if I'd be satisfied, upon seeing a perfect rendition of it. Maybe the idea is funnier than the actuality.

Thufir
2010-05-06, 05:27 PM
Um, wow . . . Thufir, your avvie? Je l'adore. Je l'adore.

I thought you would.
I tried to get the little blue hermit crab in the same thing with the sunrise/sunset wave, but that would've required making him too small to be reasonably seen.

ION: I have decided that some day, I am going to buy a load of oranges, and spend an entire day in bed, eating nothing else. Because I can. And also because I love oranges.

Edit:

Just noticed, Deth Muncher, the link to the last thread is broken. It's got a xn--http-fb7a// between the http:// and the rest of the URL.

Fix it, damn you.

Deth Muncher
2010-05-06, 05:39 PM
Fix it, damn you.

I TRIED. I have no idea why it's doing that.

Thufir
2010-05-06, 05:52 PM
All you need to do is edit your post, find the offending xn--http-fb7a// and delete it, and then the link will work again.

Dragonrider
2010-05-06, 06:02 PM
My mum's traced my family back to some Welsh knight in the 1500s, on her side. My dad's mum's is also pretty to follow. But my dad's dad . . well, my grandpa's mother was a Tiffany (of stained glass fame), so we know aaaaaall about her, but Grandpa's dad emigrated from Germany through Ellis Island and was one of about 100 people with his name to come through that year. So we have no idea.

Deth Muncher
2010-05-06, 06:13 PM
All you need to do is edit your post, find the offending xn--http-fb7a// and delete it, and then the link will work again.

Except that that thing doesn't exist in the quoted text. I have NO clue where that's coming from, but the URL in the link is the same URL that was in the bar at the top of my page.

Jack Squat
2010-05-06, 06:36 PM
Just use the thread command.

Curly's Rambunctious and Erudite Random Banter #140
becomes

randman22222
2010-05-06, 06:37 PM
Except that that thing doesn't exist in the quoted text. I have NO clue where that's coming from, but the URL in the link is the same URL that was in the bar at the top of my page.

When I try quoting your OP, it shows that you opened the URL (URL=....) with a quotation mark, but closed it without one. Try putting the second quotation mark in, or removing the first, maybe? :smallconfused:

EDIT: @V: *Thumbs up.*

Deth Muncher
2010-05-06, 06:51 PM
Just use the thread command.

becomes

Good now?

I see those noparses...:P

Coidzor
2010-05-06, 07:01 PM
Hmm. I wonder what NTSC and PAL mean in terms of my digi-cam's video settings.

Jack Squat
2010-05-06, 07:08 PM
Good now?

I see those noparses...:P

Yep.

Hmm. I wonder what NTSC and PAL mean in terms of my digi-cam's video settings.

They're essentially compression settings for color TVs. You change it depending on what region the device that'll read it will be in.

Here's a handy chart (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:PAL-NTSC-SECAM.svg)

Edge
2010-05-06, 07:11 PM
So, what politicians really need are drill powered spaceships? Why has the news not mentioned this?

I do not know, but word of Lordgenomegordon and his Labourgann mecha must spread.

Phase
2010-05-06, 07:39 PM
holy **** this episode of Community is the best episode of anything ever in the universe ever.

Oh good, it's just blood. I thought it was paint. Stroke of luck.

Dr. Bath
2010-05-06, 08:09 PM
Gog damn election. I mean drinking. I mean election.

All these votes I mean booze, I mean votes. Too much to handle in this state.

*Phrase disparaging current predicted leader*

edite: WHY ARE THE WALLS SCRATCHING.

UglyPanda
2010-05-06, 08:14 PM
holy **** this episode of Community is the best episode of anything ever in the universe ever.

Oh good, it's just blood. I thought it was paint. Stroke of luck.It was funny, but I couldn't get it out of my head that paintballs hurt. And they didn't wear goggles*.

I know they weren't the types of guns used in competitions, but I was still cringing too much to laugh.

*Or maybe they did. God, my short-term memory sucks.

Anuan
2010-05-06, 08:32 PM
Saw a guy shot in the goggles like three times during a paintball game. Had to drag them off to clear the paint; big bruise around his face where the goggles had lined.

UglyPanda
2010-05-06, 08:41 PM
Yeah, goggles do nothing. That's why masks are used. I've been shot in the face two or three times and I've only gone paintballing* once.

*Is that even a word?

Thajocoth
2010-05-06, 08:43 PM
The goggles! They do nothing!

Fixed! :smallbiggrin:

UglyPanda
2010-05-06, 08:44 PM
I am well aware of the meme, I simply wished to use it more subtlely* subtly**.

*Crap, I'm not sure if that's a word either.
**Ok, so it's not. But how is that the adverb form? It has a silent b and a non-silent syllable! Or is the b supposed to sound like an h?***
***The Aristocrats!

Jack Squat
2010-05-06, 08:58 PM
Yeah, when playing it's pretty common to get hit in the face, gun, or strong hand. This is because of the simple fact that those are what pokes out while shooting from behind cover.

I really need to get another game going with the weather warming up and all. Maybe I'll do that instead of boozing it up in celebration of my 21st.

Phase
2010-05-06, 09:06 PM
I know they weren't the types of guns used in competitions, but I was still cringing too much to laugh.

Tell the Drama Club that tonight their tears will be real.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2010-05-06, 09:13 PM
My ancestors were some of the first ever settlers in America. Came over to the Massachussets Bay colony in 1633-ish. I can't remember right now. We can trace back without gaps up to 1550-ish. And that's with my ancestors being through and through peasants.

It's not like my mum's friend Reera, who managed to hit a lucky noble line somewhere, and can trace back to Roman times.

Deth Muncher
2010-05-06, 10:19 PM
It is currently half an hour until Friday. At 9AM Friday, I have a Russian 101 exam. On Monday and Tuesday, both by 5PM, I have papers due. The one on Monday is 8-10 pages, the one on Tuesday is 15 pages but those pages can include references.

My father's callenderically-challenged genes must have transferred to me, because I just realized that MONDAY IS THREE DAYS AFTER FRIDAY. I HAVE NOT FINISHED RESEARCHING OR WRITING EITHER OF THESE PAPERS BECAUSE I HAVE BEEN WRITING ANOTHER PAPER.

I think I may just be in my college's library until like...5AM listening to Benny Benassi and researching/studying for my Russian exam, go sleep for two hours, then cry.

Pheehelm
2010-05-06, 10:21 PM
So I'm taking a brief nighttime stroll and pass by the fenced-in kennel area where the dogs are. I hear them barking, and I initially assume it's because a human's walking past, until I hear this hissing noise. I almost don't think anything of it, but then I remember what some of the local wildlife consists of.

So I run, grab my flashlight, come back, and sure enough, there's a rattlesnake coiled up right inside the only gate into the kennel, which means I can't safely let the dogs out or leave them in there.

Wheeeeee.

Zeb The Troll
2010-05-07, 12:07 AM
Question: I know a lot of older Playgrounders are changing their names from their long, well known names to abbreviations. For example, BolddyRedCommie has been BRC for a while now, and Face of Evil is now FoE...why? Why not just leave it?BRC was asked politely by the powers the be if he would accept the name change because of the political overtones. I believe FoE changed his name as part of an RP thing going on because the original request was to change from Face of Evil to Foe of Evil. I suspect in the long run he went with the initials so that he could say it means whatever he needs it to mean at the time, RP-wise.

Just spitballin' on that last one though.

Quincunx
2010-05-07, 03:35 AM
Irish airspace is partially closed today, again--this time a full-day for partial airspace instead of all the airspace for part of the day. That'll be the third closure since this sorry mess began. Irish airlines are having fits. Irish ferries are not as happy as they might be, with planes not bringing in tourists who think ferries are quaint. Thankfully the islands are so very close to the main island that propeller planes needn't ascend to ash-bearing strata of the atmosphere, and so they're not cut off from speedy transit if need be.

The inter-relatedness of humankind, in my mind, is proof of how close we as a species came to snuffing it. The full hypothesis was linked in a Random Banter not that long ago and involved volcanic catastrophe, affecting the very small area in the Horn of Africa and the coast south of it, which humans had managed to populate by that time. However, with last month's discovery of the oldest human fossil in South Africa, well beyond the ranges both geographical and chronological previously known to have been populated with human ancestors, that hypothesis needs re-working to explain why human territory would have dwindled to the area affected by said volcanic eruption.

YPU
2010-05-07, 08:32 AM
Here is a situation I thought never would come up. I am somewhat sad that it appears there are lenses that work for my girlfriend; I think she looks cute with her glasses. And it’s not simply the change; I was together with her for two years before she even got them.
But anything that makes her happy, she will still be cute without them.

Kobold-Bard
2010-05-07, 08:47 AM
Just tried to put myself on my ignore list and got this message: Sorry, no matter how much you try, you can not ignore yourself.

It amused me.

Player_Zero
2010-05-07, 09:18 AM
I have my shirt on inside out. Only just noticed. Good job I don't leave the house.

UglyPanda
2010-05-07, 09:20 AM
Just tried to put myself on my ignore list and got this message: Sorry, no matter how much you try, you can not ignore yourself.

It amused me.I've attempted that before. I think it might be a default message on... whatever software these forums run on. It also shows up in Kingdom of Loathing in at least one place.

What would happen if you could ignore yourself? You wouldn't be able to read your own messages after you posted them, you wouldn't be able to search for your old posts, and would that be all? It doesn't seem too disruptive. More than a little silly, but not too disruptive.

Dragonrider
2010-05-07, 09:51 AM
My ancestors were some of the first ever settlers in America. Came over to the Massachussets Bay colony in 1633-ish. I can't remember right now. We can trace back without gaps up to 1550-ish. And that's with my ancestors being through and through peasants.

Mine too. Don't remember strictly when, but it was early 1600s. As family legend has it, our ancestor rowed across the bay and founded Beverly, Massachusetts. His . . . son, I think it was, or brother, I'm not sure as they were both named William, kept a horse saddled in the stable during the Salem Witch Trials to help witches escape (another ancestor was accused as a witch, and another ancestor was the one doing the accusing).

We also had family at Bunker Hill and others who fought in the revolution, and my great-great grandfather signed up at the age of 15 to be a drummer boy for the Union Army (they were still in Massachusetts and were fiery Boston abolitionists) and fought in the Shenandoah Valley. We still have all the letters he wrote home - comforting ones to his sisters and mother, talking about how he sometimes babysat for one of the local families, and bloody ones to his brother and father, describing people with their heads blown off and suchlike.

wadledo
2010-05-07, 10:07 AM
Shesh, and my family just had a city in Pennsylvania named after them.

Done with finals! Which means I can finally devote more of my time to you people on the internet.

Ho-ray.:smallconfused:

MountainKing
2010-05-07, 12:09 PM
I just found out that my girlfriend got some really good grades this semester, despite a series of tough trials with being sick early in the semester. I'm so proud of her and just really wanted to share that with everyone. :D

absolmorph
2010-05-07, 04:17 PM
I'm trying to figure out how to set up a game of Assassin without the other people playing knowing who else is part of the game.
It just seems like this is the way it should be, even if it'll make it more difficult.
I'm also trying to decide if I should make emails for them to receive their assignments through. They may know I set it up, but I don't want them to know I'm running the whole show.

Teddy
2010-05-07, 04:21 PM
I'm trying to figure out how to set up a game of Assassin without the other people playing knowing who else is part of the game.
It just seems like this is the way it should be, even if it'll make it more difficult.
I'm also trying to decide if I should make emails for them to receive their assignments through. They may know I set it up, but I don't want them to know I'm running the whole show.

Perhaps forwarding your assignments through someone else might work to keep the secrecy. Or creating a hundred of anonymous hotmail adresses to mail from.

By the way, what is the problem with them knowing that you're running the show? As long as you aren't participating yourself (which would be unfair), there shouldn't be any problem with them knowing that you're doing it. Just make sure that they can't hack your computer/e-mail, though.

Kobold-Bard
2010-05-07, 04:25 PM

Anonymous contact. Have them post you their details/pictures. Send the back by post. Though email works too, as long as you use a new address that can't be tracked via facebook etc.

One thng: make it crystal clear that the consequences of escalation are their own business not yours or the game's. I explained it to someone and their first reaction was to carry a tray everywhere with them so they could block attacks and crack people on the head with it to disarm them. If the police get involved because of an assault you don't want it coming back to you.

absolmorph
2010-05-07, 04:31 PM
Perhaps forwarding your assignments through someone else might work to keep the secrecy. Or creating a hundred of anonymous hotmail adresses to mail from.

By the way, what is the problem with them knowing that you're running the show? As long as you aren't participating yourself (which would be unfair), there shouldn't be any problem with them knowing that you're doing it. Just make sure that they can't hack your computer/e-mail, though.
It's just for the sake of style. It's more fun to do stuff like this with a pseudonym than it is to be up-front about it.
I think I'll start working out the details and look to see who all is interested later today, once I've got some homework done.

KuReshtin
2010-05-07, 05:17 PM
It's just for the sake of style. It's more fun to do stuff like this with a pseudonym than it is to be up-front about it.
I think I'll start working out the details and look to see who all is interested later today, once I've got some homework done.

So, the easiest way I'd think of getting people not know that you're the one organising it, or to know who else is playing would be to just post posters with basic, vague, information telling people to e-mail a certain e-mail for more information, and then once they've got the information, they can either agree to play, or not.
If they want to play, they need to provide a recent photo of themselves so that their 'assassin' can identify them, together with a few other pieces of information about themselves (name, classes they go to, place of work or something like that). Not enough information to make it too easy for the assassin, but enough to get them started with their own recon mission to find out more about the 'target'. Make them do a bit of homework for themselves.

Once you've got enough players signed up, you assign each of them a number, either based on the order they signed up, alpabetically or any other way you want to assign numbers to them.
Then you send out an e-mail to each of them asking them to pick a number to get their target assigned.

If the number they choose is the number you've asigned to themselves, give them the next target in the list (so if the player assigned number 5 picks number 5, give him Number 6 instead).

Once the numbers are starting to run out, just keep counting from the start again (so if there are 30 players to begin with, and you've already assigned 15 targets and someone picks number 26, just go through the list once, then start back at number 1 as number 16 and keep counting til you reach 26, where you've got your target).

This manual assignment of targets means that you can at least initially prevent two people from getting each other as targets, which would cause a problem with reassigning of targets.

Also, since the assassin gets the target's target after elimination, tell the players that part of the rules means that the eliminated target must share the basic information about their target as a minimum and whatever other information they feel they want to share of the information they've gathered themselves as part of their recon mission.

To keep players interested in the game and to make sure it doesn't dwindle into neglect as people lose interest, make a rule that they need to send 'mission updates' at least once a week to show that they are active.

Wow, that wasn't supposed to be that extensive... Hope you managed to read through it all.

Coidzor
2010-05-07, 06:53 PM
Irish airspace is partially closed today, again--this time a full-day for partial airspace instead of all the airspace for part of the day. That'll be the third closure since this sorry mess began. Irish airlines are having fits. Irish ferries are not as happy as they might be, with planes not bringing in tourists who think ferries are quaint. Thankfully the islands are so very close to the main island that propeller planes needn't ascend to ash-bearing strata of the atmosphere, and so they're not cut off from speedy transit if need be.

*goes to look up what the heck happened to Ireland while he was drinking on Cinco De Mayo*

...Whenever people start talking about their family histories, I always feel so boring because all I know is that one of my ancestors joined the revolutionary war as soon as he got off of the boat to immigrate here and that inbetween that and me there were plantation-owners and a judge.

Thufir
2010-05-07, 06:59 PM
...Whenever people start talking about their family histories, I always feel so boring because all I know is that one of my ancestors joined the revolutionary war as soon as he got off of the boat to immigrate here and that inbetween that and me there were plantation-owners and a judge.

If you go back far enough, my family is decended from some Scottish clan or other. That's all I know.

absolmorph
2010-05-07, 07:43 PM
Woah, thanks, KuReshtin.
I'll definitely use a lot of that.

Coidzor
2010-05-07, 11:08 PM
So I had a toddler jump out of a second story window to get away from my cooking today.

About... 3 hours ago now while I was cooking the birthday dinner for my girlfriend.

Just got back and he's apparently fine, though he still wasn't too enthusiastic about eating what I'd made.

The zucchini parmesan that I made based off of this recipe here turned out phenomenally well though. (http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Eggplant-Parmigiana-Caponata/Detail.aspx) :smallbiggrin:

I am drained as all get out though. I think I ended up spending 3-4 hours in the kitchen.

absolmorph
2010-05-07, 11:09 PM
I'm no fan of zucchini, but jumping out of a window seems extreme.

Amiel
2010-05-08, 12:09 AM
Are you sure he isn't half Kangaroo? or the offspring of Spiderman or the Incredible Hulk?

Was he alright?
You must be commended, Coid, for spending so much time in the kitchen and for cooking for your girlfriend; obviously kids do not appreciate good food or nice things.

I saw a car with the words "Does not stop for zombies" written across its passenger doors on my way to work yesterday; I lol'ed, heartily.

arguskos
2010-05-08, 12:18 AM
I just found out that my girlfriend got some really good grades this semester, despite a series of tough trials with being sick early in the semester. I'm so proud of her and just really wanted to share that with everyone. :D
Where the hell did you wander off to, anyways?! I've been all :smallfrown: cause I've not seen you anywhere in the last few months. Good to know you're not dead or something. :smallbiggrin:

Coidzor
2010-05-08, 01:12 AM
Are you sure he isn't half Kangaroo? or the offspring of Spiderman or the Incredible Hulk?

Was he alright?
You must be commended, Coid, for spending so much time in the kitchen and for cooking for your girlfriend; obviously kids do not appreciate good food or nice things.

I saw a car with the words "Does not stop for zombies" written across its passenger doors on my way to work yesterday; I lol'ed, heartily.

Thankfully he returned to us able to eat though I think he only ate half of his food due to all of the excitement.

He also tried to eat the doctor's stethoscope, but the CAT scan didn't turn up anything, so other than some scraping he seems to have come out none the worse for the wear. Hitting the yearling/two-year old tree on the way down is probably what broke his fall enough so that he wasn't badly injured.

THe zucchini parmesan actually ended up tasting better than the chicken-italian stew I made.

Krade
2010-05-08, 01:19 AM
So, my largely neglected Facebook profile (visited maybe twice in the past 6 months, has, quite suddenly, recieved 25 friend requests in the past few days.:smalleek: All from people I went to high school with (and 2 or 3 I had crushes on at one point:smallwink:). However, slightly less than half of them I would actually consider my friends in high school, and one of them I had actual (slight) problems with. But, it has also been five years since high school, so who knows...

All that aside, I suppose I probably ought to finally get around to messing with Facebook. *sigh* Just one more thing for me to check up on every few days.

Anyways, just thought I'd mention this, dunno why I felt it was necesary now, but whatever. Thoughts?

Thajocoth
2010-05-08, 01:27 AM
I'm no fan of zucchini, but jumping out of a window seems extreme.

I can easily imagine scenarios where I'd jump out a window in reaction to a food's smell. I don't know about what Coidzor was cooking specifically, but a lot of foods will choke me on smell alone. It's mostly based on the strength of the smell rather than it's contents, so food that most people find more enjoyable wind up being the ones more likely to choke me. (Stronger flavor => Stronger smell) I'd rather be able to breathe and get hurt than choke. And later I'd explain to the chef why it's more of a compliment than an insult that I was so eager to escape...

Since the toddler was apparently capable of eating some of it without choking, this was not likely the same situation.

Coidzor
2010-05-08, 02:23 AM
I can easily imagine scenarios where I'd jump out a window in reaction to a food's smell. I don't know about what Coidzor was cooking specifically, but a lot of foods will choke me on smell alone. It's mostly based on the strength of the smell rather than it's contents, so food that most people find more enjoyable wind up being the ones more likely to choke me. (Stronger flavor => Stronger smell) I'd rather be able to breathe and get hurt than choke. And later I'd explain to the chef why it's more of a compliment than an insult that I was so eager to escape...

Since the toddler was apparently capable of eating some of it without choking, this was not likely the same situation.

The couch was up against the window and he managed to climb over it and onto the window sill and lean against the screen.

Naturally this knocked the screen out.

I was in the kitchen with my girlfriend, I believe I was stirring the sauteing the diced red bell peppers while my girlfriend was working on making the cream cheese frosting for the birthday cake.

The toddler's dad, my girlfriend's older bro, was in there, dividing his attention between watching the kids and helping his wife tidy up the living room, and the window was open due to the heat from the kitchen. The kid was actually sitting on the floor when I had last turned around to use the sink about a minute before, while his older sister was playing with a toy that occupied his attention.

Sometime in that timeframe something apparently attracted the sister's attention outside so she went to sit on the couch and look out the window, which lead to him going over there, about the time during which the dad's back was turned due to being asked a question by the mom, next thing we know, there's a horrified scream from the girl.

I look over, see she's over by the window crying, thought she just wanted attention due to being one of those kids that'll kick up a fuss sometimes when people are working around her and need her out of the way, then I notice her brother isn't in the room anymore, then I realize that there is no screen in the window.

So I immediately run to grab my cellphone to dial 911. As this was happening, the mom had already gotten downstairs and was checking on him as he bawled, the mom's friend that was bringing her kids over pulls up and sees all of this and flips out and yells to my girlfriend to take her kids inside and then they take the kid off to the hospital. This was around 6ish.

They got back around... 8:30ish, maybe just before 9.

I was... expecting a lot more blood due to the fact that the window is half over concrete and half over saplings/dirt/rocks.

They CAT scanned him and checked his internals and whatnot. He's sleeping now. Only mark on him is that he has a scrape over his... left eye that's sort of like one of those stereotypical black eyes, only red because it's a scrape.

So we think he bounced off of a sapling on the way down.

I believe I had yet to start sauteing the onions and garlic and it was after we had finished baking the cake itself, so the zucchini had been sauted and the red pepper was in the process of being sauted.

Kobold-Bard
2010-05-08, 04:41 AM
So, my largely neglected Facebook profile (visited maybe twice in the past 6 months, has, quite suddenly, recieved 25 friend requests in the past few days.:smalleek: All from people I went to high school with (and 2 or 3 I had crushes on at one point:smallwink:). However, slightly less than half of them I would actually consider my friends in high school, and one of them I had actual (slight) problems with. But, it has also been five years since high school, so who knows...

All that aside, I suppose I probably ought to finally get around to messing with Facebook. *sigh* Just one more thing for me to check up on every few days.

Anyways, just thought I'd mention this, dunno why I felt it was necesary now, but whatever. Thoughts?

Welcome to the wonder of Facebook. Many people's sole purpose in life is to have as many friends as possible so they send requests to everyon they've ever known. I had a guy who literally kicked the crap out of me several times in school add me etc. I did for a while, but seeing their updates that I just didn't care about annoyed me so I just deleted them all.[/innanerambling]

I should probably buy some food that's more nourishing than Pringles and bacon.

randman22222
2010-05-08, 02:35 PM
:smalleek:

Just started reading Uzumaki (http://www.onemanga.com/Uzumaki/1/02/).

*Hides under the covers of his bed with a flashlight.*

...OH NO.

I need an LED flashlight. The coil... in the bulb...

Deth Muncher
2010-05-08, 02:54 PM
I fail at paper writing and research. This does not bode well for someone with an English major and a Political Science minor.

Thajocoth
2010-05-08, 03:18 PM
The couch was up against the window and he managed to climb over it and onto the window sill and lean against the screen.

Naturally this knocked the screen out.

I was in the kitchen with my girlfriend, I believe I was stirring the sauteing the diced red bell peppers while my girlfriend was working on making the cream cheese frosting for the birthday cake.

The toddler's dad, my girlfriend's older bro, was in there, dividing his attention between watching the kids and helping his wife tidy up the living room, and the window was open due to the heat from the kitchen. The kid was actually sitting on the floor when I had last turned around to use the sink about a minute before, while his older sister was playing with a toy that occupied his attention.

Sometime in that timeframe something apparently attracted the sister's attention outside so she went to sit on the couch and look out the window, which lead to him going over there, about the time during which the dad's back was turned due to being asked a question by the mom, next thing we know, there's a horrified scream from the girl.

I look over, see she's over by the window crying, thought she just wanted attention due to being one of those kids that'll kick up a fuss sometimes when people are working around her and need her out of the way, then I notice her brother isn't in the room anymore, then I realize that there is no screen in the window.

So I immediately run to grab my cellphone to dial 911. As this was happening, the mom had already gotten downstairs and was checking on him as he bawled, the mom's friend that was bringing her kids over pulls up and sees all of this and flips out and yells to my girlfriend to take her kids inside and then they take the kid off to the hospital. This was around 6ish.

They got back around... 8:30ish, maybe just before 9.

I was... expecting a lot more blood due to the fact that the window is half over concrete and half over saplings/dirt/rocks.

They CAT scanned him and checked his internals and whatnot. He's sleeping now. Only mark on him is that he has a scrape over his... left eye that's sort of like one of those stereotypical black eyes, only red because it's a scrape.

So we think he bounced off of a sapling on the way down.

I believe I had yet to start sauteing the onions and garlic and it was after we had finished baking the cake itself, so the zucchini had been sauted and the red pepper was in the process of being sauted.

It's good that he's alright. Is there any way to reinforce the screen in the future?

I've written a better explanation of my smell situation here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8454158&postcount=23) in the fears thread, if anyone's curious.

Back when Zicam was found to be destroying people's sense of smell, I thought of using it to try to reduce my problem, but I sat on the fence about it for too long, and it's most certainly off the shelves by now. I should've bought some while it was still in stores.

Deth Muncher
2010-05-08, 05:03 PM
Watch this. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9qvCTdBLDs)

That is all.

Kobold-Bard
2010-05-08, 05:15 PM

That is all.

I can't tell. Is this a serious musical effort or is this guy the Indian crazy frog?

Deth Muncher
2010-05-08, 05:17 PM
I can't tell. Is this a serious musical effort or is this guy the Indian crazy frog?

Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tunak_Tunak_Tun) sayeth it be legit.

Kobold-Bard
2010-05-08, 05:21 PM
Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tunak_Tunak_Tun) sayeth it be legit.

That was a love song? :smallconfused:

If you say so :smalltongue:

arguskos
2010-05-08, 05:23 PM
At the risk of sounding like a bastard (likely), it's India. There's a staggering amount of stuff from that area of the world that is just confusing if you're not from the area. :smalleek:

I've even BEEN and still don't understand 98% of everything from there.

Deth Muncher
2010-05-08, 05:58 PM
I've been doing the dance moves from that video for days.

Teddy
2010-05-08, 06:10 PM

That is all.

That's probably one of the more crazy music videos I've ever seen... And the red part of himself can cause earthquakes by slamming the ground. Is HE the MitD? :smallconfused::smalleek:

arguskos
2010-05-08, 06:18 PM
That's probably one of the more crazy music videos I've ever seen... And the red part of himself can cause earthquakes by slamming the ground. Is HE the MitD? :smallconfused::smalleek:
Dude, have you never seen Fatboy Slim's videos? For (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IK7dr2nk5o) shame (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7Ky5R-vxns), sir (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmsTwQb1csc&feature=related)!

Deth Muncher
2010-05-08, 07:09 PM

HEY. Take that over to the MitD thread. Sounds plausible.

Andraste
2010-05-08, 07:41 PM
:smalleek:

Just started reading Uzumaki (http://www.onemanga.com/Uzumaki/1/02/).

*Hides under the covers of his bed with a flashlight.*

...OH NO.

I need an LED flashlight. The coil... in the bulb...

Thank you for that. It's not like I ever need to sleep again or anything.:smallwink:

randman22222
2010-05-08, 08:20 PM
Thank you for that. It's not like I ever need to sleep again or anything.:smallwink:

I went out and got curly fries immediately after I finished reading it. Then realised what I was eating. :smalleek:

Coidzor
2010-05-08, 08:34 PM
It's good that he's alright. Is there any way to reinforce the screen in the future?

Not sure, they've basically moved the living room so that they can't climb up anywhere near the window right now, and managed to pop the screen back in.

I believe they're putting in a request to move to a ground-level apartment. Not sure what they're doing to communicate their displeasure that a 1 year old can exert enough force on it to pop it out. Was... flimsier than I'd be expecting for apartments that are explicitly for students with families.

Back when Zicam was found to be destroying people's sense of smell, I thought of using it to try to reduce my problem, but I sat on the fence about it for too long, and it's most certainly off the shelves by now. I should've bought some while it was still in stores.

Weird thing is. I still see Zicam at places like Costco around here... :smallconfused: So either they managed to change the recipe or they just didn't care.

SweetLikeLemons
2010-05-08, 08:40 PM
I think some building codes actually require that screens break away from windows easily, in case of fire. Windows are often considered fire exits, especially in apartment buildings.

When my parents bought new windows for their house, there were large stickers on them warning people to keep children away from wide-open windows, since the screens were made so they would pop out if even a small child pushed on them.

Dogmantra
2010-05-08, 08:42 PM
Mouth. SO DRY.

WHY IS MY MOUTH SO DRY.

Thajocoth
2010-05-08, 08:53 PM
Weird thing is. I still see Zicam at places like Costco around here... :smallconfused: So either they managed to change the recipe or they just didn't care.

It was recalled, so it's most likely that they changed it. Some people were getting their sense of smell damaged (but not completely gone) from using it. I was on the fence about it because A - Not everyone receives the side effect, and B - I don't know by what mechanism the smell was decreased, so I had no idea if it would even help decrease my issue or not.

Mouth. SO DRY.

WHY IS MY MOUTH SO DRY.

Might I recommend applying dihydrogen monoxide to it?

Deth Muncher
2010-05-08, 09:04 PM
Might I recommend applying dihydrogen monoxide to it?

HEY! Don't try poisoning him like that. You should drink water instead. :smallbiggrin::smallcool:

Partof1
2010-05-08, 09:55 PM
I swear I just read the strangest thing while playing my pokemon. An enemy Grimer tried to use minimize, and it didn't work, and instead of it reading "But the move failed", but I'm sure it said "But the fail ended". I just caught a glance at it, and I'm prolly wrong, but I have to wonder what in me interpreted it to be "But the fail ended"

Dr. Bath
2010-05-08, 10:47 PM
"But the fail ended..." Thus glory begun! I hope this grimer went on to defeat your whole team in a display of magnificent battling.

That is what I hope.

Partof1
2010-05-08, 11:01 PM
"But the fail ended..." Thus glory begun! I hope this grimer went on to defeat your whole team in a display of magnificent battling.

That is what I hope.

No, he proceeded to run away.

arguskos
2010-05-08, 11:25 PM
No, he proceeded to run away.
Haha, you failed to catch a Grimer... wait. That's probably for the best, it being GRIMER and everything. :smalltongue:

Rutskarn
2010-05-08, 11:55 PM
I just wrote a book that's 135 pages long.

Frassa-sassin' son of a bitch. It's almost like if you stick with a project for 15 months, you get a reasonable return off of it.

EDIT: Hell, that's with 12-point font. This is the equivalent of a 171-page paperback.

Partof1
2010-05-08, 11:55 PM
I wanted the experience, though.

Cleverdan22
2010-05-09, 12:11 AM
Huh. I think I just watched a season of How I Met Your Mother in one sitting.

absolmorph
2010-05-09, 01:37 AM
Huh. I think I just watched a season of How I Met Your Mother in one sitting.
I've done that a few times.
It's quite amusing.

Teddy
2010-05-09, 04:22 AM
Dude, have you never seen Fatboy Slim's videos? For (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IK7dr2nk5o) shame (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7Ky5R-vxns), sir (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmsTwQb1csc&feature=related)!

I've seen the music video to "Weapon of Choice", before, and, well, I think I'll clasify it as "you believe it makes sense, but then things goes nuts and you don't any longer", right together with the "Wonderful Night" music video. The "The Rockafeller Skank" music video, doesn't make sense at all, so I think I'll put it right below the "Tunak Tunak Tun" in level of weirdness. The latter one doesn't make sense in any way, not even the musical one.

Deth Muncher
2010-05-09, 05:32 AM
I've seen the music video to "Weapon of Choice", before, and, well, I think I'll clasify it as "you believe it makes sense, but then things goes nuts and you don't any longer", right together with the "Wonderful Night" music video. The "The Rockafeller Skank" music video, doesn't make sense at all, so I think I'll put it right below the "Tunak Tunak Tun" in level of weirdness. The latter one doesn't make sense in any way, not even the musical one.

Speaking of weird (and also kinda having Intronats meme-y-ness), I direct you HEAR (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MaCZN2N6Q_I).

Coidzor
2010-05-09, 05:40 AM
While Tunak Tunak Tun is even vaguely topical..... (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=066_q4DIeqk)

Teddy
2010-05-09, 05:42 AM
Speaking of weird (and also kinda having Intronats meme-y-ness), I direct you HEAR (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MaCZN2N6Q_I).

It contains EMI (what that now means), so I can't watch it. :smallfrown:

While Tunak Tunak Tun is even vaguely topical..... (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=066_q4DIeqk)

Hehehehe...

Deth Muncher
2010-05-09, 05:46 AM
Coid, I thought you were going to post this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMs6oWDoQrY).

And Teds, what's this EMI nonsense?

Coidzor
2010-05-09, 06:02 AM
EMI? Now that's an STD I've never heard of before.

Deth: Hadn't even encountered that particular video. Surprised they weren't able to find appropriately colored turbans for 'em all. a bit disappointed too.

Teddy
2010-05-09, 07:11 AM
Coid, I thought you were going to post this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMs6oWDoQrY).

And Teds, what's this EMI nonsense?

Translated from the page that Youtube shows me:

"This video shows EMI. This video can no longer be shown in your country."

I tried Wikipedia to find out what EMI stands for, and the closest I got was a British music company named "Electric & Musical Industries Ltd.", but I have no idea of how that is supposed to make sense.

Deth Muncher
2010-05-09, 07:15 AM

I tried Wikipedia to find out what EMI stands for, and the closest I got was a British music company named "Electric & Musical Industries Ltd.", but I have no idea of how that is supposed to make sense.

:smallconfused: Huh. Well, in any case, it's the video to Hot Chip's "I Feel Better." It's basically hilarious because there's this guy whom my friends have referred to as "Gandhi Jesus" - basically, this bald guy dressed in all white who floats into this concert where the stereotypical eurodance/boyband group is up on stage dancing. Confused by his presence, the band one by one challenges him to a dance off, and each time, Gandhi Jesus responds by FIRIN' HIS LAZOR. Hilarity is to be had.

Quincunx
2010-05-09, 07:21 AM
I'd like to do something to celebrate the fifty-year anniversary of hormonal (invisible) (unobtrusive) (persistent) birth control, but somehow wine'n'whooping it up just doesn't seem to fit. I'll pop out for a walk without consulting anyone or making any allowance for anyone else. What an act of war.

Teddy
2010-05-09, 07:28 AM
:smallconfused: Huh. Well, in any case, it's the video to Hot Chip's "I Feel Better." It's basically hilarious because there's this guy whom my friends have referred to as "Gandhi Jesus" - basically, this bald guy dressed in all white who floats into this concert where the stereotypical eurodance/boyband group is up on stage dancing. Confused by his presence, the band one by one challenges him to a dance off, and each time, Gandhi Jesus responds by FIRIN' HIS LAZOR. Hilarity is to be had.

I found a version of the video that I could see, and yes, it was hillarious. :smallbiggrin:

Coidzor
2010-05-09, 07:35 AM
I'd like to do something to celebrate the fifty-year anniversary of hormonal (invisible) (unobtrusive) (persistent) birth control, but somehow wine'n'whooping it up just doesn't seem to fit. I'll pop out for a walk without consulting anyone or making any allowance for anyone else. What an act of war.

Considering the only target for such a war would be your husband, I'd suggest against anything violent as a matter of course unless you desired to be a widow...

Player_Zero
2010-05-09, 10:05 AM
Wish I was a dullahan. I'd run around scaring people and then telling bad jokes using my head as a ventriloquist's dummy.

Recaiden
2010-05-09, 11:11 AM
You don't really. It'd be fun at first, but having a body is really nice.

Player_Zero
2010-05-09, 12:31 PM
Dullahans have no head. Or rather, it is not on their shoulders. They have a body.

Terry576
2010-05-09, 01:39 PM
This Dullahan Pissed Me Off. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kb15XFl--JY)

Player_Zero
2010-05-09, 02:31 PM
This Dullahan Pissed Me Off. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kb15XFl--JY)

I was so amazingly overleveled because I couldn't figure out where I was supposed to be going that it didn't faze me.

Anyway, dullahans came up on account of Durarara. Class act. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QO4b9vNMWY)

Classy indeed. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0y6nMDt347w)

tyckspoon
2010-05-09, 02:33 PM

..thank you, Deth Muncher. My life is richer for being aware of this. And weirder. ("You destroyed my friends! I will have my vengeance! Face the fury of my pelvic thrusts!" "Oh yeah? LAZOR!")

Deth Muncher
2010-05-09, 03:20 PM
..thank you, Deth Muncher. My life is richer for being aware of this. And weirder. ("You destroyed my friends! I will have my vengeance! Face the fury of my pelvic thrusts!" "Oh yeah? LAZOR!")

I'm reformatting that, but it's going in my quotebox. ^_^

EDIT: Y'know what? Nope. Going in as is.

MEGAEDIT: I had to clean up my signature to get it to fit, but yeah.

KuReshtin
2010-05-09, 04:01 PM

The message you're getting from Youtube is a message telling you that the content has been blocked from being shown in Sweden by EMI, the record company the artist is signed with. It's to do with copyright stuff or something.

Terry576
2010-05-09, 09:17 PM
The message you're getting from Youtube is a message telling you that the content has been blocked from being shown in Sweden by EMI, the record company the artist is signed with. It's to do with copyright stuff or something.

I call it the "Youtube Hates Foreigners" Syndrome.

Phase
2010-05-09, 10:59 PM
Dear lord I hate papers and essays.

But school is nearly finished. Hurrah for that blissful undertone.

Deth Muncher
2010-05-09, 11:25 PM
Dear lord I hate papers and essays.

But school is nearly finished. Hurrah for that blissful undertone.

Truthfactverdadpravda.

Kobold-Bard
2010-05-10, 02:25 AM
I have come to the conclusion that Napoleon was at least 1/2 Kobold. Maybe a bit more than 1/2, further research must be undertaken.

Dallas-Dakota
2010-05-10, 02:45 AM
Yes, yes. A kobold.
Yes, it was a kobold, musta been.

He totally wasn't a hobbit, determined to qonqour the world.

Now let us not speak of this again. >.>

Kobold-Bard
2010-05-10, 02:58 AM
Yes, yes. A kobold.
Yes, it was a kobold, musta been.

He totally wasn't a hobbit, determined to qonqour the world.

Now let us not speak of this again. >.>

A Halfling you say? Hmm...this theory intrigues me.

Anyone know where he's buried?

Coidzor
2010-05-10, 03:35 AM
A Halfling you say? Hmm...this theory intrigues me.

Anyone know where he's buried?

A minute on the wiki points the finger here. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Les_Invalides)

So, why kobold?

KuReshtin
2010-05-10, 04:16 AM
I call it the "Youtube Hates Foreigners" Syndrome.

not really YouTube's fault as much as it is the record comapnies being d***s and not letting YouTube show their official videos in certain countries.
It's called capitalism.

Justyn
2010-05-10, 06:46 AM
It's called capitalism.

Capitalism has nothing to do with this: the issue here is copyright law and the record companies' abuse of it.

Trobby
2010-05-10, 10:16 AM
^I'll have to echo that sentiment, though there is also some truth that the fact that these products are worth something creates a desire to bend said laws, abolishing the economic principle as a whole would only lead to a different situation; arguably a better one, but in this case the issue is specifically of law abuse, not the abuse of a capitalist drive.

However, I seem to recall something about political debates on the playground, and how we're not supposed to encourage them. So instead...

Hey, it's been like, weeks since I've posted here, hasn't it? ^^; Well, I haven't had much to talk about, other than the big school crunch that keeps me from posting about anything. <.<; Oh,and I'm a bit sick too. Though I'm not sure how sick, there's a chance I have a stomach virus. >.<;

Amiel
2010-05-10, 10:30 AM
This (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPyo_MxRfeo&feature=player_embedded) is what we should do about it; the seagull representing the general public, the figurative door/bowl representing the site in question, the cat representing itself.

Also, I found something absolutely amazing; Unbelievable Hamster runs Dog Agility! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DVwrA5QRyg&feature=player_embedded)
Go little hamster!

Teddy
2010-05-10, 10:37 AM
This (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPyo_MxRfeo&feature=player_embedded) is what we should do about it; the seagull representing the general public, the figurative door/bowl representing the site in question, the cat representing itself.

So, we should eat the cat's Youtube? :smallconfused: I didn't know that a cat was the owner of that site...

Also, I found something absolutely amazing; Unbelievable Hamster runs Dog Agility! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DVwrA5QRyg&feature=player_embedded)
Go little hamster!

Gogogo! :smallbiggrin:

Jokasti
2010-05-10, 01:07 PM
Heh.
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/member.php?u=51597

Kobold-Bard
2010-05-10, 01:13 PM
Heh.
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/member.php?u=51597

Is it a Roland fanboy/girl or Roland's alter ego he plans to use to avoid detection (hiding in plain sight if you like)?

Edge
2010-05-10, 01:16 PM
Is it a Roland fanboy/girl or Roland's alter ego he plans to use to avoid detection (hiding in plain sight if you like)?

If it's the latter, then it's not a very good disguise. :smalltongue:

In other news: the first of my two exams for my second term of uni is down and out of the way. Just one more on the 20th, then freedom for the summer!

Trobby
2010-05-10, 01:30 PM
Say, just a quick question here to all those with any headset experience.

$15 for a brand new headset, includes shipping and handling. Good deal? Bad deal?

And if you just happen to be a headset expert, it is a "Cyber AcousticsStereo Headset/Microphone, Ambidextrous design AC-201", according to its Amazon page, at least.

Thajocoth
2010-05-10, 02:11 PM

There's a rule against multiple accounts. I'm quite certain Roland would not break the board's rules.

Dragonrider
2010-05-10, 03:59 PM
There's a rule against multiple accounts. I'm quite certain Roland would not break the board's rules.

Unless he got special special special permission . . . .

ION: THREE MORE CLASSES left (tomorrow), then reading day, then five days of finals. Then I GO HOME. I AM SO EXCITED.

Phase
2010-05-10, 06:24 PM
Lunatone used Psychic.

It's super effective!

Terry576
2010-05-10, 06:36 PM
LUNATONE's PSYCHIC is overridden by LOLHAX's NOOBHAX special ability!

LUNATONE fainted!

Trobby
2010-05-10, 07:02 PM
LOLHAX? Those are tournament banned. :smallannoyed: Also, not a Pokemon.

Terry576
2010-05-10, 07:04 PM
you sure? (http://i.ytimg.com/vi/v4meGri0UlM/0.jpg)

Deth Muncher
2010-05-10, 09:12 PM
I totally just pranked my friends with this (http://www.amazon.com/Cardinal-Industries-7817-LOST-Game/dp/B000EULZDC/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=toys-and-games&qid=1273543273&sr=8-4). Which is interesting, as I generally try to find ways to prank them with this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ). I swear I don't go to 4chan.

Jokasti
2010-05-10, 09:41 PM
:smallfurious:

Trobby
2010-05-10, 09:45 PM
...Ow. Just..ow.

Also, this is how true heroes win. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ye7b3bOQ6lY)

Rutskarn
2010-05-10, 09:51 PM
I haven't the faintest idea what's going on in any of the half-dozen conversations this thread is currently host to, so I'm just going to chip in with the usual inane FaceBook-style fire-and-forget comment.

The fries at the local dining hall started out quite good. They still are, I suppose. When I've actually got a plate of them in front of me, I never actually have any problems finishing them off, and will often steal a few from my more gullible friends. And yet, when I'm contemplating their fries in the abstract--when I'm envisioning their fries--a slight nausea overtakes me. I'm thinking it has to do with whatever embalming fluid they use to keep the sliced potatoes in a vaguely food-like form while they ship them in from the sweatshop potato mines in the earth's core.

Thajocoth
2010-05-10, 09:57 PM
Well, the fries are actually one of those shoulder-devil, shoulder-angel, shoulder-slaad, shoulder-modron situations. When they're present, they can tempt you, but when not present, your shoulder-fries are missing, so to speak and so their counter shoulder-thingy is more successful at convincing you.

If I'm not mistaken, they communicate by smell.

Rutskarn
2010-05-10, 10:13 PM
Also, is it just me, or have the forums made slightly less sense today? Seriously, guys, somebody's brain has been turned to a viscous chowder by procrastination, self-imposed workloads, awkwardly phrased assignments, too much video games, not enough fresh air, bad dorm food, and a roommate that may or may not be scaling the dorm walls like a spider, grabbing pigeon in midflight, and consuming them voraciously, blood dribbling hot and vibrant over a beard months overgrown.

And I don't think it's mine.

absolmorph
2010-05-10, 10:22 PM
...Ow. Just..ow.

Also, this is how true heroes win. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ye7b3bOQ6lY)
It's really fun ^.^

Thajocoth
2010-05-10, 10:32 PM
Also, is it just me, or have the forums made slightly less sense today? Seriously, guys, somebody's brain has been turned to a viscous chowder by procrastination, self-imposed workloads, awkwardly phrased assignments, too much video games, not enough fresh air, bad dorm food, and a roommate that may or may not be scaling the dorm walls like a spider, grabbing pigeon in midflight, and consuming them voraciously, blood dribbling hot and vibrant over a beard months overgrown.

Seriously? Didn't you know that cheese scalpels ship the red fans spatially? This is why the plastic solidifies the frozen accountants in the timestream, wrapping the entire process in bacon. Really, it's a win-win for everyone.

Player_Zero
2010-05-10, 10:40 PM

http://www.japanator.com/elephant/ul/4675-550x-1215165298799.jpg

Phase
2010-05-10, 10:49 PM
Player Zero that image is very routine, the sort of image I would expect myself to produce.

Rutskarn painted a veritable work of rather grungy art with his words, break out the obscure stuff.

Player_Zero
2010-05-10, 10:50 PM
Player Zero that image is very routine, the sort of image I would expect myself to produce.

Rutskarn painted a veritable work of rather grungy art with his words, break out the obscure stuff.

To be fair, I didn't bother reading past the first sentence of his post.

Also, wasn't I spamming you with Hunchback of Notre Dame earlier?

Deth Muncher
2010-05-10, 10:51 PM

:D <3 whitetext

Thajocoth
2010-05-10, 10:57 PM
How would this be?

http://cheezpictureisunrelated.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/129132470501181925.jpg

It's difficult finding SFW images that are decently strange...

EDIT: Or this:

http://cheezpictureisunrelated.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/129131544992660743.jpg

Phase
2010-05-10, 10:59 PM
To be fair, I didn't bother reading past the first sentence of his post.

Also, wasn't I spamming you with Hunchback of Notre Dame earlier?

Yes you were. Again, go for the obscure stuff I won't know. I'll be forced to ask and then my horizons will be broadened, lickity split.

Player_Zero
2010-05-10, 10:59 PM
How's this for making no sense to you common layabouts, then?

http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/3900/1242672099674.png

http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/9941/1242672132033.png

http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/8361/1242672178531.png

http://img504.imageshack.us/img504/6702/1242672225502.png

http://img547.imageshack.us/img547/1714/1242672285079.png

http://img175.imageshack.us/img175/9281/1242672335810.png

http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/8370/1242672379159.png

http://img169.imageshack.us/img169/6447/1242672433410.png

Actually, that makes quite a lot of sense. It's just quite cool.

Anyway, you knew that was from Code Geass did you? Hmm. I suppose I could go to tier two obscurity. But you're barely worth the effort.

http://img705.imageshack.us/img705/715/1273057774283.jpg

And if you didn't like that one you'd better pack up your bag of tricks and be gone.

http://img189.imageshack.us/img189/1841/educatedowl.jpg

So, are you a bad enough dude to handle tier two? If you didn't understand all three then I'm afraid you've got a lot to learn before you beat me. Try again kiddo.

In fact, j'ai une idée horrible. Beignets mortels... Non. Clafoutis au curare... Non. Macaron foudroyant... Non. Tarte au venin de vipère... Non.

Le Pudding à l'Arsenic!

Phase
2010-05-10, 11:15 PM
Oh god, tier two. It burns us.

Well done, P_Z. Back to your regular form.

Player_Zero
2010-05-10, 11:20 PM
What can I say? Quand l'appétit va, tout va.

Phase
2010-05-10, 11:22 PM
No. You can't say that. I hope you don't say what you type.

Player_Zero
2010-05-10, 11:23 PM
I said it just now in order to spite you.

Also, in order that was SSBB/Hellsing, Akagi, The Sword in the Stone, DragonNinja, Street Fighter and Asterix and Cleopatra.

And now you've started, you're going to have to tell me the problem with Fei Long.

Deth Muncher
2010-05-10, 11:24 PM
Phase, I was actually hoping you'd go with Solrock for PKMN Week, not Lunatone. :P For the lulz.

Phase
2010-05-10, 11:31 PM
And now you've started, you're going to have to tell me the problem with Fei Long.

I can tell you the problem with Long Feng.

He has a very distinctive birthmark.

Player_Zero
2010-05-10, 11:36 PM
Close.

The problem with Fei Long is that he's an ***hole. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTeFELGlbdA)

Deth Muncher
2010-05-11, 12:23 AM
Close.

The problem with Fei Long is that he's an ***hole. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTeFELGlbdA)

I CANNOT HAS. DAMN YOU YU ESS AND AY.

absolmorph
2010-05-11, 01:50 AM
Today, I got tips about certain acts that may be against the rules to talk about (I don't recall off the top of my head and feel to lazy to check) from a girl that I had no idea was so... experienced... in such matters.
It's hilarious and somewhat awkward, since when I met her (and the short-ish time after that I kept in contact with her) she seemed rather... innocent. But, hey, at least she doesn't get squeamish when it comes up in conversation.

Coidzor
2010-05-11, 02:37 AM
The ones that seem innocent but never truly confirm that they're self-righteous are always the dirtiest ones.

Deth Muncher
2010-05-11, 03:25 AM
The ones that seem innocent but never truly confirm that they're self-righteous are always the dirtiest ones.

PRAVDA. I find that out quite often.

Lioness
2010-05-11, 07:46 AM

*cough*

You called?
Sorry, I surprise my friends with it all the time.

At any rate, today I was reminded why I love my boyfriend so much.
He had a dream about Cthulhu. In a tuxedo.
Tentacles slicked back and everything

Oh, what things a sleepy mind produces.

Anuan
2010-05-11, 07:53 AM
I somehow fail to be surprised at this.

Your boyfriend is awesome. Now I want a picture of that. D:

Lioness
2010-05-11, 08:13 AM
I somehow fail to be surprised at this.

The first bit or the second bit :smallwink::smalltongue:

Trobby
2010-05-11, 08:16 AM
...=o Suddenly, the Playground is Australian!

...*Interloping from New York*

Eheh..^^; C-carry on...

Lioness
2010-05-11, 08:21 AM
...=o Suddenly, the Playground is Australian!

...*Interloping from New York*

Eheh..^^; C-carry on...

Prime time in Australia...anywhere between about 10pm and 11.30pm

That's if I've got my time zones right

Trobby
2010-05-11, 08:24 AM
I am aware of that...<w<; SOMEone was staying up late because of it. *Glances towards Anuan* It's actually almost 9:30 AM here on the US East Coast. I'm passing time until my half-day of sub work starts.

Lioness
2010-05-11, 08:34 AM
Unfortunately, I have to get up early for school tomorrow, my fingers are freezing, and it's bedtime.

So I'm gonna go watch Dr Who in the warm.

Goodnight ^^

Amiel
2010-05-11, 08:41 AM
Unfortunately[...]my fingers are freezing[...]

I know what you mean, Melbourne has also been remarkably chilly of late; it was apparently 7 degrees celsius this morning; 4 degrees in the Dandenongs.

I walked home after catching public transport from a party, my fingers were as ice; poor circulation in my extremities not helping one bit.

Teddy
2010-05-11, 08:44 AM
It's 15:40 over here, the sun is shining from a clear blue sky and the temperature in the shadows is almost comfortable. School's over for the day and I wonder why I'm even sitting here inside my house? :smallwink:

KuReshtin
2010-05-11, 08:46 AM
It's 15:40 over here, the sun is shining from a clear blue sky and the temperature in the shadows is almost comfortable. School's over for the day and I wonder why I'm even sitting here inside my house? :smallwink:

Because you don't get the glare off the computer screen when you're indoors? :smallbiggrin:

Trobby
2010-05-11, 08:52 AM
Temperature problems? Yeah, we're getting that here in NY too. Mostly just the wild fluctuation of temperatures, actually. Seriously, three days ago it was up to over 70 degrees outside, but for the past three days we've been lucky to see it go up to 50. @_@; We're not sure if it's Summer or Spring here yet.

Anuan
2010-05-11, 08:53 AM
The first bit or the second bit :smallwink::smalltongue:

The first, hence the seperate comment about your boyfriend being awesome :smalltongue:

Deth Muncher
2010-05-11, 08:55 AM
Temperature problems? Yeah, we're getting that here in NY too. Mostly just the wild fluctuation of temperatures, actually. Seriously, three days ago it was up to over 70 degrees outside, but for the past three days we've been lucky to see it go up to 50. @_@; We're not sure if it's Summer or Spring here yet.

I have a friend who lives in Buffalo, who just got out of school here in VA (mind you, it's been roughly 70 degrees here), gets home and OMG SNOW WTF?

Amiel
2010-05-11, 09:03 AM
[...]We're not sure if it's Summer or Spring here yet.

Yeah, we're getting a lot of that as well; only ours can't decide whether it's going to be summer, autumn or winter.

Yesterday was really warm; to the extent of most people walking around in shorts and a t-shirt, and equivalent.

Today? Rug up or don't go outside at all.

What? :smallconfused:

Coplantor
2010-05-11, 09:05 AM
We are having a very winterous summerly autumn here

Trobby
2010-05-11, 09:10 AM
...D= Guys...Global Climate Change.

...Or possibly just some strange weather patterns. <.<;

@Anuan: Incidentally, I called you "Anon" today. <w<; At least the pronunciation was right.

Amiel
2010-05-11, 09:14 AM
Man, the weather's gone crazy; regionally and globally. At least we are experiencing some interesting (probably not the best word choice) phenomenon.
You could say to your grandkids, "in my day, the weather was wack, and we still lived through it; what did we do? we soldiered on and persevered. You kids shouldn't complain you have it so easy" :smallbiggrin:

Coplantor
2010-05-11, 09:19 AM
"When I was your age, we had to live in a planet called Earth!"

Amiel
2010-05-11, 09:22 AM
"When I was your age, we still had a planet Earth"
:smallbiggrin:

Also, I am attempting to combat the cold by tucking into a nice home-cooked chicken parmegiana.

Deth Muncher
2010-05-11, 09:25 AM
"When I was your age, we still had a planet Earth"
:smallbiggrin:

Also, I am attempting to combat the cold by tucking into a nice home-cooked chicken parmegiana.

You sends to America. Yis? Yis.

Coplantor
2010-05-11, 09:26 AM
Excuse me, but a parme what?

KuReshtin
2010-05-11, 09:33 AM

Work must have fried my brain today, becasue as I read that I got a mental picture of someone tucking himself into a chicken parmegiana and wondering how big that chicken parmegiana must be to accomodate a human being...

I need to get out of here.. Only an hour and a half left.

Amiel
2010-05-11, 09:33 AM
You sends to America. Yis? Yis.

Can't talk (type); eating :smallbiggrin:
Amazon should seriously stock up on food and food-related items; they'll fly off the shelves like hot cakes (or related food metaphor/simile).
Sends to you; dunno if it'd hit a bird across the way though, this may delay arrival somewhat.

Excuse me, but a parme what?

It's spelt parmegiana in Australia, but parmigiana elsewhere in the world
Here (http://www.google.com.au/images?client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&hl=en&source=imghp&q=chicken+parmigiana&gbv=2&aq=1&aqi=g10&aql=&oq=chicken+par&gs_rfai=) are some mouth-watering pictures

Work must have fried my brain today, becasue as I read that I got a mental picture of someone tucking himself into a chicken parmegiana and wondering how big that chicken parmegiana must be to accomodate a human being...

I need to get out of here.. Only an hour and a half left.

It's Parmegiana Man! Here to save the day by taking down criminals in a parmegiana costume; it's apparently all the rage.

Would it have been clearer if I used the word 'devouring'? :smallsmile:

Enjoy your day at work, KuReshtin, or however you are able to. Hopefully you can relax in the comfort of your own home very soon.

KuReshtin
2010-05-11, 10:06 AM
It's Parmegiana Man! Here to save the day by taking down criminals in a parmegiana costume; it's apparently all the rage.

Would it have been clearer if I used the word 'devouring'? :smallsmile:

Enjoy your day at work, KuReshtin, or however you are able to. Hopefully you can relax in the comfort of your own home very soon.

It probably only took me an extra read of the sentence to get the point you were making, so it wasn't as it was difficult to understand.
It just caused me to get that image of Parmegiana-Man in my head. Or rather, it was more an image of someone tucking himself in using the chicken parmegiana as a sort of sleeping bag, and it being warm and cozy since it was just freshly made and then......

Actually, I probably should stop thinking about it, because it just gets weirder and weirder the more I think about it.

Time for home in less than an hour now. I think that there's a very high risk that I'll be stuck playing MW2 for the rest of the evening. :smallcool:

Deth Muncher
2010-05-11, 10:11 AM
Can't talk (type); eating :smallbiggrin:

Death will come swiftly to you. OH WAIT, you're in Australia, I can't be any more deadly than something you could see outside your window anyway, ell-oh-ell. /overusedtropethatmakesSerpburnwithrage

Coplantor
2010-05-11, 10:14 AM
If what he is eating was an australian chicken then he is eating something that once was much more dangerous than any of us with a rocket launcher.
(and probably more dangerous than all of us with a rocket launcher)

Rawhide
2010-05-11, 10:54 AM
*cough* It's known as parmigiana in Australia too. Parmegiana is just a misspelling, and not one I've seen in any published works.

CurlyKitGirl
2010-05-11, 12:07 PM
Arghlebleearghtiyu.
I am my own worst enemy.
Despite having an essay due at half three, I hadn't even begun it by two o'clock. Luckily, as this week was my 'switch-from-Thursday-to-Wednesday-class' week I was able to email it in at five apologising for lateness.
Also, the essay was tricky to start, but fun once I got going; doubt I did very well at all though.
Even so, 'twas fun listening to the various English dialects (http://web.ku.edu/~idea/dialectmap.htm) from over the world, and specifically England (http://web.ku.edu/~idea/europe/england/england.htm). For anyone who's interested England Thirty-one and all the North Devonshire speakers (listed under South-West) have a very close approximation to how I often speak at home. Just not as thick an accent as that.
Lor' I miss that accent up here; I feel all nostalgic now I've listened to it for most of a day. Oh, I do miss 'drekly'.
Complete misnomer of course; it doesn't mean 'directly' at all. Extremely loosely drekly means 'soon', but more accurately 'when I've finished what I'm doing what I do now'.
See why I love that word? It's so very vague, and yet so specific at the same time. :smallsmile:
:smallnostalgicsmile:

Thufir
2010-05-11, 12:41 PM
Even so, 'twas fun listening to the various English dialects (http://web.ku.edu/~idea/dialectmap.htm) from over the world, and specifically England (http://web.ku.edu/~idea/europe/england/england.htm).

Hmm. Interesting. I'm probably closest to one of the London ones - not cockney though. Surprisingly difficult to judge my own accent. The northeast ones are all more geordie than most people I know.

KuReshtin
2010-05-11, 01:16 PM
Holy crap! I hope I don't have an accent like the subjects in the Swedish examples.

Fifty-Eyed Fred
2010-05-11, 01:17 PM
I haven't found one quite like mine yet. I'm an RP speaker, by the way.

CurlyKitGirl
2010-05-11, 01:29 PM
Hmm. Interesting. I'm probably closest to one of the London ones - not cockney though. Surprisingly difficult to judge my own accent. The northeast ones are all more geordie than most people I know.

You mean a kind of 'non-accent'? I think it's mostly because of TV and radio. That or maybe the north-eastern smaples aren't as extensive as they could be.

Also, I know your avvie is one of those letter-type Psychic Pokemon from the thir movie, but I can't remember their name. This niggles away at me something awful.

Holy crap! I hope I don't have an accent like the subjects in the Swedish examples.

Sincerely doubt it. You've been living in Scotland for X years, so your Swedish accent should be lesser now, and maybe you'll have acquired a Scottish lilt.

I haven't found one quite like mine yet. I'm an RP speaker, by the way.

England Thirty-Nine; born and raised in the Home COunties, spent a wee time abroad in AMericaland, did some touring in Scotland and now lives in Bristol. Despite all this is extremely RP.

Fifty-Eyed Fred
2010-05-11, 01:39 PM
England Thirty-Nine; born and raised in the Home COunties, spent a wee time abroad in AMericaland, did some touring in Scotland and now lives in Bristol. Despite all this is extremely RP.

It's close, but I'm a little bit posher than that. I pronounce my ts clearly, for example. It's probably the closest I'll get, though; England One was too upper-crust, and England Two was on a slightly different path. That is, if accents even have paths. :smalltongue:

Hmm... in other news, it seems our Prime Minister is resigning over at Buckingham Palace at the moment. About time; the election result was 4 days ago. :smallamused:

CurlyKitGirl
2010-05-11, 02:24 PM
So, Friday I did something uber-Oxford.
Went punting on the Cherwell with me mates for three hours. Complete with a picnic basket (read: plastic bag) containing Schloer (faux-wine), cookies and chocolate crispies.
Natch, this was everyone's first time punting, and seeing all but one of us are girls, Physics Friend was nominated to punt. It . . . did not go well. Aside from his joshing he tried to row. With the giant punting stick thing. I was very wet quite quickly.
Then Math Friend had a go. And all was well. Until she got the pole stuck in the mud and the punt sailed on a good six or ten yards before we managed to row backwards and get it.
Oh, and shortly after that we kind of punted into a really low hanging tree. And one of it's branches got caught up behind the backboard for the first set of seats.
Being whipped by an angry and resilient tree branch is very painful. :smalleek: Right across the wrist and hand. The cut on the wrist actually bled some for a good hour on and off. Still hasn't properly healed and is only very mildly infected. It's actually impressively gross looking. It's not all that thick, about 3mm or so and maybe an inch long, but it also:
1) looks like a mouth of bared fangs and
2) looks like it's got 'stitches' sealing the mouth partially shut.
Plus it's all red and angry looking. Only downside is that now it's starting to itch proper fierce and I'm resisting as well as I can, but well, she cannae take much moar captain.

Aside from being strangely proud of my injury I also learnt how to row in less than two hours; I am very pleased with that as I'd never even comtemplated any such thing beforehand. Y'know, what with me being irrationally scared of any water vehicle that moves at less than eight miles an hour. And actually terrified of kyaking and canoeing in general.
It were 'mazing fun, especially when we got out the plastic wine goblets, poured our 'wine' and just floated breezily down the river toasting walkers and such. So. Oxford.
It were full o' mishaps and whatnot, but great fun. I was second wettest after Math Friend (punting is a surprisingly wet activity for newbies) and most injured. :smallamused: Typical really. And I'm (hopefully) going out again on Friday with Biology Friend's parents. That's if they can make it over from Europe.
Apparently there's another 'ash cloud' gumming up the works again.

EDIT:
I also note the recap of interesting things-that-happened-when-I-wasn't-here post comes after the 'this is really interesting (at least for me) post', but hey.

KuReshtin
2010-05-11, 03:09 PM
I sure hope that the new ash cloud doesn't muck things up for me as I'm heading down to Cornwall this weekend.
I don't know if AirSouthwest uses turboprop planes or jet planes, but hopefully it won't be a problem to get down there.

And also, I'm absolutely CERTAIN that I don't sound like the Swedes in those sound clips, it's just that I think that a lot of Swedish people's English accents are truly horrible. And I don't want to sound like that.

Teddy
2010-05-11, 03:32 PM
My Gymnasium class is specialized on just learning good and pretty advanced English, and I'm glad that none of us talk like those Swedish examples. But then we've got the best English teacher in town, so that might not be that strange, after all...

Kobold-Bard
2010-05-11, 04:50 PM
Extended purdah make K-B angry and poor. Stupid <banned topic>ians with their stupid <banned topic> :smallannoyed:

------------
Dave is amazing. It's just back to back awesome punctuated by Bottom.

Thufir
2010-05-11, 06:05 PM
Also, I know your avvie is one of those letter-type Psychic Pokemon from the third movie, but I can't remember their name. This niggles away at me something awful.

Unown. Well, to be precise, my sigatar is 6 unowns spelling out 'Thufir'. My avatar is a cross between an unown and the Summoning Dark.

Malfunctioned
2010-05-11, 07:21 PM
Gar, Malfunctioned is annoyed. I've left my Zombie Survival Guide in college and now I have nothing to read at home. :smallfrown:

Trobby
2010-05-11, 08:32 PM
Nothing to read? Boy, the internet is right in front of you! You could probably find an entire book out there if you really feel like it.

Also, I seem to have suffered a 24 hour gross disease. I'm...getting better, but stilll feeling cruddy.:smallfrown: