PDA

View Full Version : E6 What do you think?

rusty5833
2010-04-30, 03:27 PM
I'm returning to 3.5 after a small break. During my hiatus, I stumbled upon the E6 rules located here:

http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?t=352719

If you've played E6 before, what are your general thought? Was it enjoyable? Was there still problems with class balance?

FishAreWet
2010-04-30, 03:43 PM
E6 fixes quite a bit of issues. But there are still plenty of holes. The real draw of E6 is how it changes the setting.

EvilJoe15
2010-04-30, 04:26 PM
This is the wrong forum, this should be in Roleplaying Games.

On E6, I feel that E6 is a very good way of making D&D more realistic(As real as it can be anyway), and that it narrows the power gap. If you combine it with ToB, for example, you make wizards, and melee-types almost equal, almost.

molten_dragon
2010-04-30, 10:16 PM
I'm personally not a big fan of it. Level 6 is where the game is just starting to finally get good for me. Heck, I prefer to start at level 5 most of the time.

Yora
2010-05-01, 02:23 AM
I think this is why 6th level was picked as the maximum level. 1st to 6th level is exactly the same as in standard D&D. But instead of going through ECL 7th to 10th in 4 levels (53,33 encounters) you do so in 20 feats (266,66 encounters). So you can keep playing in the very enjoyable 6th to 10th range for 5 times as long.

The beauty of E6 is its simplicity. If you know the PHB, you also know the entire rules of E6. All the new things can be explained in less than 3 minutes. And you can keep your entire D&D material for 1st to 10th level without having to rewrite any stats.
E6 is probably not the perfect way to do what it attempts to do, but the reason to pick it (instead for a completely different system) is that you can keep all your D&D stuff without having to learn anything new.

And I agree, that a really big selling point for E6 is its implication for campaigns and settings. It makes PCs more humble, as they can not just hit everything they meet until it dies. High level threats require thinking and making plans instead of using force. Also, even the most powerful hero can be overcome by huge hordes of simple warriors or small critters. As I see it, characters always stay human, and don't ascend to a higher state in which their power makes them more like demigods. But still, you can keep getting XP and expand your characters abilities. And I like that very much.