PDA

View Full Version : Solo Campaign (Dada) - Greenleaf

Pages : [1] 2

Lin Bayaseda
2010-04-30, 06:48 PM
This is a thread for my solo game with Dada.

Charsheet:
http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=201763

1. If you're not Dada or me, you definitely should not post in this thread.
2. Also, I may want to run this campaign for different players. If you read along, it may impair your ability to play it later. If this prospect doesn't bother you, by all means, read along, even feel free to give me feedback (by PM of course; rule 1 still applies)

There, procedurals done. And now, without further ado, let's start:

*** Prologue ***

It wasn't shaping up to be a good week for Wilton Mudshoe. In fact, it was shaping up like a rather bad beginning for the rest of his life. First, there was the failed burglary attempt to the backroom of a tavern (where the good ale was kept), which ended up with his friends scattering for their lives, and Wilton alone being grabbed by the burly bartender and thrown into the hands of the city guards, continued with spending the night in a flea-ridden jail cell, then a huge fight with his father who wasn't happy about the size of the bail, among other things.

After his father forcefully threw him out of the house, Wilton wandered the dark streets aimlessly for a while, wondering what schenanigan he should apply himself to next. A light hand was placed on his shoulder. He rapidly turned around, and saw a single robed man, standing beside him, looking to the side. How did he get there? Wilton could swear the street was empty.

"Hello," said the robed man.
"I... uhm, I was just passing through, and ..." Wilton stuttered.
"I figured as much." the man still hasn't faced him, and kept gazing sideways at something.
"I guess an introduction would be in order," said the young halfling, "I am ..."
"I know who you are. I've been expecting you."

At that moment, the stranger turned to him for the first time, and of all his features, the only thing Wilton saw were the eyes - black, and deep. The more he looked into those eyes, the bigger they became, until the darkness surrounded him completely and not a shred remained of the world as he knew it. This was not shaping up as a good week at all.

Surrounded by darkness, Wilton wanted to scream, but couldn't. Darkness was all around. As for himself, he was ... where? Was he even at all? And then, the darkness exploded with light. No more dark forest, before his eyes was water, waves as far as the eye can see. And a long thin bridge across the waves, trailing into the distance. He tried to turn his head to look, but couldn't move it, or any part of his body, as if encased in stone. Or ember. Transparent ember. With his peripheral vision, Wilton noticed a grassy meadow under him, and a narrow strip of beach on which the waves were breaking ... or were they? On second thought, they weren't. Nothing was moving at all. Not him, not the rest of the world. He tried to draw a breath, but couldn't. How can you breathe ember?

Then, reality left its standstill and started to move. First, it was the air in his lungs, then gravity took its toll. And Wilton started to fall, right on the grass, from a height of about twenty feet. A dreadful week indeed.

Down on the grass, you have some time to get your bearings. Behind you, you see as you turn around, is a forest, somewhere in the forest, maybe a few hundred yards away, a hill, and on top of the hill, a huge three-storey log house. How could you miss it before? Oh yes, you were unable to move your head. Bird calls are heard throughout the forest.

*** Game on ***

Lin Bayaseda
2010-04-30, 06:49 PM
[roll0] non-lethal falling damage.

Dada
2010-05-01, 07:32 AM
Where am I? What is this? Supernatural events had always seemed to haunt Wilton wherever he went, but never anything of this scale. This seemed more like.. a dream.. But on the other hand, dreams didn't usually hurt this much. Wilton winced from pain as he stood up. Not recognizing anything around him, he felt a burning anger towards his father rise inside of him. If he hadn't thrown me out, this would never had happened. And that robed figure.. How dared he do.. whatever it was he did.

Feeling the warmth of the sun on his skin, and grass tickling underneath, Wilton realized that this was definately not a dream, and his eyes became moist. What was he supposed to do now? He had been in trouble before, but this was.. different. He was really far out of his depth, and he still didn't know what was going on.

Wilton sobbed as he stood up and started walking towards the forest, with an exaggerated limbing left leg. After a couple of steps, he realized the that no one was around to take pity on him. "Well, I'd better pull up myself together, if I am going to get out of this mess" he said, a bit more loudly than necessary. The world around him didn't seem to care the slightest. He started walking towards the forest, and the house.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-01, 02:34 PM
Wilton slowly walks through the overgrowth, between the thick-leafed oaks and maples. Birds still squaking overhead and all around him, like a strange code. For a while, he loses track of the log house among the trees, but keeps going in the approximate direction.

Spot check DC 15 please

SuccessWilton notices a spider web strung between two trees 10' apart. Whew, good thing that was spotten in time. He could've been stuck there!
FailureBusy trying not to stray from the right direction, Wilton doesn't notice a spider web strung between two trees and walks right into it, and now he's Entangled (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/conditionSummary.htm#entangled). Uh oh!

Dada
2010-05-01, 02:41 PM
Wilton makes his way through the forest, still wondering exactly where he had ended up. Well, at least a forest still looks like a forest

[roll0]

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-01, 02:44 PM
Wilton feels the web trembling. Little feet scurry somewhere. He has [roll0] rounds to do something before company arrives.

Dada
2010-05-01, 02:49 PM
He is forcefully brought back to reality, as he stumbles directly into the web. Frightened, he tries to jump backwards, but the web sticks to him! Starting to panic, he starts to pull and wriggle to get free, while looking out for whatever made this disgusting trap.

A bad week indeed..

[roll0]

[roll1]

OOC:

Use the whichever of the checks seems most relevant.

Also, how do you want to deal with OOC-stuff. Is this format fine?

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-01, 02:53 PM
You just manage to wiggle free from the web, making good use of your small size and natural agility. In the corner of your eye, you note a large form, almost as big as you, scurrying through the branches of one of the trees the net was anchored to.

OOCSure, OOC stuff in spoilers is fine

Dada
2010-05-01, 03:03 PM
Telim almost trips and falls as he suddenly regains his freedom. Spotting what he can only assume is the owner of the net, he starts to run. He tries to keep his direction towards the house, he tries to avoid any other nets or roots or holes, but most of all, he just tries to get away from whatever it was that intended to have him for lunch.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-01, 03:11 PM
OOCwho's Telim?
As you run, low-hanging branches whip your face, and every root seems intent on tripping you. A couple minutes later, almost out of breath, you reach a clearing and can see the log house right in front of you. It has a slanted thatched roof, shuttered windows all over the three floors, and a large oak door facing you.

Dada
2010-05-01, 03:17 PM
OOC:

Wow, that was early for a char mixup. Oops.

As Wilton reached the house, it dawned on him that he didn't really know what he wanted to do here. It just seemed like the most logical place to go. He spends a few minutes walking around the house and catching his breath, before he finally gets his act together. "Here goes nothing, I guess." He walks up and knocks on the door, then shouts "Helloo? Anybody home?"

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-02, 09:02 AM
There's no sound at first, then you hear quick footfalls through the door. Bars are being moved on the other side, and the door opens to a crack. A young gnome, looking a bit dazed, is facing you.

Uhm, hello. Are you a new arrival?

Dada
2010-05-02, 09:18 AM
New arrival? I wonder what this place is.. Wilton blinked once, then, without thinking, fell back to his familiar skills, which had often gotten him into places he weren't supposed to be.

"Yes, I am the new arrival" he said confidently.

So they were expecting someone? Or did he say a? Well, I have to get in, better not worry about it.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-02, 02:33 PM
Good. Come in, come in. Made it through the forest alright? I'm Tarbeen, welcome to Greenleaf.

The gnome kid lets you into a large hall, where all sorts of decorative weaponry hangs on the walls, and above the fireplace, a huge black shield with an insignia of a green leaf dominates the scene. A few bearskin rugs, tables and chairs complete the scenery. A grand staircase is leading to the second floor, and some simple interior doors probably open to other rooms.

Are you ok? Not hurt? Need a rest, or want a tour of your new home first?

Dada
2010-05-02, 02:54 PM
Wilton was just about to introduce himself, when he remembered that the gnome might now the name of the real new arrival. Unless... they had expected him. No, that couldn't be.

"Pleased to meet you Tarbeen. I'm not hurt, no, but you do seem to have a spider problem in your forest." Now was not the time for weakness or pity, even though Wiltons shoulder still hurt. "A tour would be very nice, thank you." Maybe that will I help me find out more about this place, he thought to himself.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-02, 04:49 PM
Good, good. I mean, not good. Spider, eh? Well, you got here safely, and that's what matters, right?He chatters as he leads you about. This is our main meeting hall, dinners and all, kitchen over there, storage, that's the basement stairs, but you don't want to go there right now, second floor is mostly the bedrooms, third is the aviary and the observation deck. Wanna go upstairs see the view from up top? And what did you say you name was?

Dada
2010-05-02, 05:21 PM
While touring the building, Wilton keeps his eyes peeled for places to hide and escape routes. He has had to make getaways from situations like this before. "The view sounds like fun, I would like that" he responds perhaps a bit too cheery.

My name.. well, here goes nothing"I'm Wilton. Whats wrong with the basement?" he ask curiosly, hoping to change the subject. "Oh, and why is there no road up here? Seems like that would make coming and going easier."

OOC:

I assume that Wilton has never heard of Greenleaf before?

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-02, 07:58 PM
OOCWilton never heard of Greenleaf
As you say your name, you fully expect him to go "whoa, that's not the name I was given!" ... but nothing like that happens. He grows a bit embarrased at your mention of a road.

Uhm, see ... it's like this, there's actually a safe passage through the woods. But it's hard to spot. I'm supposed to monitor the island from the roof, and when there's a new arrival, come out and show them the way, but I kinda ... uhm, well, fell asleep. Please don't tell anyone. I'm in enough trouble as it is.

(he seems to shrug off the topic of the basement)

Soon, you reach the third floor. The aviary is a huge semi-open area, with birds of feather of all kinds flying about. The gnome tells you it's actually half-empty now, as most of the birds are out on patrol. [[to be continued. If you have nothing to do or say, he'll open a trapdoor to show you the view from the roof]]

Dada
2010-05-03, 03:17 AM
"Sleeping on the post, eh? Don't worry, I got here, no harm, no foul, right? But perhaps you could do me another favor?" Please don't grow suspicious now.. "See, I was thrown into this quite.. suddenly, so maybe you could tell me what this place is?"

Wilton will follow the gnome to the roof, if they continue the tour.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-03, 09:17 AM
Oh, yes, yes, of course. This is Greenleaf Island. He leads you through a trapdoor onto a small platform on the roof. You can now see you really are on a forest-covered island, about a mile in size, maybe half mile, surrounded by sea. The gnome keeps talking, pointing out features of the terrain. There are bridges, you see. Three bridges, here, here and here. They connect us to other islands. See, that's the islands there, about a mile away from shore. Yeah, pretty long bridges, I bet you've never seen anything like this before. These islands have bridges to other islands as well. There are a lot of islands, some say more than a dozen. So, there are kids on all the islands, and it's like a game, yes? Whichever team conquers all the islands, wins.

Dada
2010-05-03, 09:50 AM
"A... game?" Wilton could not help but let his jaw drop. Nothing of what the gnome said made any sense at all. This all sounded like some wierd fantasy. The kids in town had some semi-imagined turf wars, but nothing like this conquering game. "So, who runs this game? What are the rules? And how did I get into this?" Wilton immidiately regretted having blurted out these questions, wishing he had been more careful. Fool! You lost it.. He mentally cursed himself as he prepared to jump down the trapdoor once the gnome figured out that he actually didn't belong here.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-03, 10:00 AM
It's run by ... well, nobody knows, actually. A year ago, I, like, met this weird guy, and he had those magic eyes, and I was out cold for a while, and when I woke up, I was in midair, and SPLAT, fell on the ground. Grass. Whatever. Almost killed myself. So the other kids picked me up, brought me here, and told me about the Game. It's been going on for a while, and they all apparently got here the same way. And the rules, it's simple, there are just three rules, one, you can't lose on purpose, second, each day game ends at sundown, third, never look directly into the sun.

Dada
2010-05-03, 10:28 AM
"I.. so.. That is exactly what happened to me!" Wilton is taken completely off guard by the description from the gnome. He can't hold back all of his questions any longer. "How do we get home from here? And what happens if you break the rules?"

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-03, 12:44 PM
Home? Well, you have to win the game for that. The winning team gets to go home. Once they conquered all the islands. That's what the Game is about. If we win, we get to go home. And ... he sighs, You don't want to break the rules. There was this boy, he threw a spear at night, through the gap, when the bridge was open. Just threw a spear into the darkness, didn't even attempt to hit anyone in particular. And the next day he went for a swim, got a cramp and drowned, just fifty yards off shore. It was before my time, but some of the older kids may remember him.
After a brief pause, he smacks his forehead. Silly me, the sun is almost down. The others will be back soon. I need to have the table set for dinner. They say I'm not fit for guard duty, you see, so I might as well make myself useful otherwise. Wanna help?

Dada
2010-05-03, 06:05 PM
"Sure, I'll help. That boy who broke the rules.. seems more like coincidence than anything else. "Did any of you ever try to look at the sun?

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-03, 10:37 PM
Thanks! He starts, with your help, setting the dishes, then gets all sorts of foodstuffs from the kitchen cabinets. Here, grab this. The two of you get a rather heavy pot from the kitchen, where it was simmering on a small flame, and place it at the center of the table. What did you say? Sun? Hell no, after what happened to that boy... And why would I want to look at the sun anyway? I can see it with my peripheral vision just fine.

Dada
2010-05-04, 06:13 AM
"I don't know.. don't you ever feel like breaking the rules, just because?" He decides to drop the subject. "How many are we setting table for? And did you make the dinner?"

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-04, 09:40 AM
Uhm, not when it can get me killed. Setting the table ... let's see, there are eight of us, plus me and you, that's ten, Minerva usually eats in her room, still, might as well set up for her. How many did I say? Yes, ten. Did I make it? Well, I'm more into reheating than cooking, if you know what I mean. We get most of the stuff from them. The ones who run this. Anyway, sun's down, everyone will be here soon. Oh, here they are!

The main door opens and several people enter. Well, only a handful of them are people. The rest are elves, male and female. Very young, not sure how old they are in elf years, but seem to be kids like you. They're all wearing light armor and carrying spears, swords, and other weapons. Just as the weaponry hanging on the wall, it seems decorative rather than functional.

Their faces are serious and tense, but as soon as they see the dinner table, they seem to be ready to unwind. And they they notice you. "Hey, a new arrival!". They circle you and mob you with questions about yourself, where are you from, were you hurt in the fall, did you get to the house alright, etc.

Dada
2010-05-04, 10:04 AM
"I'm Wilton", "Naw, the fall wasn't that bad", "I lived with my father in Redhill", "Yeah, I got here just fine, and Tarbeen already gave me the tour."
Wilton had always liked being the center of attention and happily answered the questions.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-04, 10:15 AM
Good, good. Glad to see you're alright. Usually it takes a while to recover from the fall, says one elf.
Took me three days. Near broke my damn neck, one human reinforces his words.
One of the girls looks more tired than most and doesn't participate in the conversation. She shakes her head. I'll be in my room. And, welcome to Greenleaf, Wilton.
Everyone else nod with understanding as she leaves. Apparently, that would be Minerva. After they finish questioning you, the elves (and humans, and gnome) happily dig into their food and invite you to do the same.

Dada
2010-05-04, 11:00 AM
Wilton gives Minerva a curious glance, but does not press the subject. "Thank you."

He then sits down and eats, while trying to learn more about.. well, everything. "So, why don't you guys introduce yourselves?" he asks, eager to get to know his "teammates" better. "And where have you been?".

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-04, 11:34 AM
The elf who seems to be in charge introduces himself as Telor.
We were guarding the bridges, Wilton. The bridges that connect us to our warlike neighbours, you've seen them, right? We have to guard them lest we be overrun and lose. Yes, at this stage of the game, we're not even thinking about expanding, just holding our own. As you can see, there are very few of us, and any help will be welcome.

He pauses to get a drink of mead from a jug, then continues.

Our neighbours to the south are doing much better than us. They have control over several islands, I'm not sure how many, and are always ready to bite some more. Two bridges, to the south-east and south-west, connect to islands controlled by this, I don't even know how to call them, force? Group?
Empire? Another kid helps out.
Whatever. Anyway, they control two of our neighbouring islands, and the third one, to the west, well, luckily we negotiated a non-attack treaty with them, so we don't guard that bridge. Splitting our forces into two is taxing enough. So... are you up to participating in the guard roster, or shall we leave you here with Tarbeen on latrine duty?
Everyone laugh. Except for Tarbeen, of course.

Dada
2010-05-04, 12:01 PM
"Sure, I'll guard too. But why don't you let Tarbeen come? It sounds like we need all the help we can get."

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-04, 12:10 PM
Well, we need our food ready in time, we need someone to watch for new arrivals, and for possible attack on the unguarded bridge. The birds patrol the forest during the day, but they can't do it all on their own. It's a tough job, but someone has to do it.
Again, hearty laughter all around. The gnome manages a subdued smile.
So, equip yourself with a weapon from the wall. Tarbeen will hook you up with a spare set of armor.
You may equip yourself with any of the following:Shortspear
Quarterstaff
Shortsword
Rapier
Longsword
Scimitar
Falchion
Light Wooden Shield
All weapons are decorative, made of light wood (deal non-lethal damage, and -1 to each damage die); the shield is normal.
Tarbeen gives you a thick multilayered vest (counts as padded armor)

After that, Telor indicates it's time to sleep. Up at dawn tomorrow.

Unless there's something else you'd like to say or do, you're shown to an empty bedroom on the second floor. That's your room now. Sleep well.

Dada
2010-05-04, 12:54 PM
Wilton equips himself with a rapier and three shortspears (if available).

Wilton suddenly realizes that he has no idea how much time has passed, or when he last slept. He's suddenly very tired, and wishes the other children a pleasant night, before falling asleep.

OOC:

Eep, no ranged weapons. I feel squishy. I assume the weapons are small-sized.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-04, 01:13 PM
OOCthere are weapons for all sizes
You drop on your bed, and immediately fall asleep. At dawn, you are awoken by a large black raven sitting on your pillow and plucking at your shoulder gently. Sounds of footsteps and short conversations are heard all over the building.
OOCYou may recover hit points for the night rest.

Dada
2010-05-04, 01:29 PM
Wilton slowly opens his eyes, then jolts awake as he becomes aware of the bird. He quickly calms down, however. This isn't nearly the wierdest thing that has happened. He gets dressed, packs his equipment, and walks down the stairs to the hall.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-04, 01:37 PM
The raven, its job done, wiggles itself out through a crack in the shutter and is out of sight.

Downstairs, Tarbeen is serving breakfast for everyone. After a quick meal, the guards fall out into groups. You are assigned into a group of five, led by Minerva (who seems well-rested and much fresher now), to guard the southwest bridge. The other four, led by Telor, go southeast.

Is there anything Wilton would like to do before they march out?

Dada
2010-05-04, 01:44 PM
No, he's good to go.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-04, 02:10 PM
The bridge defies description as well as imagination. It's like nothing Wilton has ever seen. Like the back of a serpent, it slowly arches up from the edge of your island, far into the distance, anchoring itself to the other island, lost in the morning haze about a mile away. There are no visibly pylons or other supports to the bridge. It's very narrow, no more than 7' wide, barely enough for two people in a row, if they squeeze together. After only a minute walk, you find yourself over hundred feet above the waves, with a flimsy metallic railing your only protection. To top it off, it's a rather windy day.

Eventhough you're walking up only a mild slope, Minerva seems to be taking the journey with great effort. Her breath grows heavy, and her face stiffens. The rest look at her, then at each other, and say nothing.

After another minute, you realize the five of your are not the only ones moving here. So is the bridge. It seems to very slowly snake forward as you walk. As you approach the middle point, you see several humanoid figures approach same midpoint from the other side.

Dada
2010-05-04, 02:17 PM
Wilton moves cautiosly on the bridge, painfully aware of its lack of support, dizzying height, and, most of all, movement. He brings neither this, nor Minervas condtion, up, since the others seem to be ignoring it. "So.. what happens if we lose?" he asks, attempting not to sound worried. He draws a spear, as he becomes aware of the approaching figures. "Those are our enemies, right? Are they normally out here?"

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-04, 02:27 PM
If we lose, we're overrun. With luck, we become their slaves. If that's your idea of luck, anyway. One kid replies. I hope you're good with that spear, Halfling. Yes, they're usually out there. It's a sort of balance of power. They don't feel confident to attack, yet, and of course neither do we. I guess they're biding their time. But be careful, they're wily bastards and may be up to something at any moment.

As you approach the middle, you see a gap in the bridge, several feet wide, which is rapidly closing down as you walk. When you get close, the two ends meat, leaving between them nothing but a barely visible seam.

The two groups stop about ten yards from each other, the seam right in the middle. Balance of power. Five of you, five of them. Human kids, short-haired, big for their age, all wearing the same design of a black leather armor, wielding the same longswords. A long moment of silence follows as the groups stare each other down. Finally, the largest of the enemy kids breaks the silence.

Hello, tree huggers. Any new splinters up your arse overnight? And who's the new runt?

Dada
2010-05-04, 02:40 PM
"It's Wilton, not halfling. And hopefully we won't find out whether I'm good or not."

As the group stops near the middle of the bridge, Wilton makes sure not to be the one in front. He shifts his weight uneasily from one foot to the other, and is relieved when the silence is finally broken.

"Oi, couldn't you have made those insults just a bit more creative? And seriously, black armor? Are you guys walking clichés or what? The name's Wilton by the way. Who are you?"

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-04, 03:39 PM
OOCYour retort about the black armor almost makes one of the enemy kids to turn to his leader and ask, "Hans, are we the baddies?" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEle_DLDg9Y&feature=related). Almost.

We? We are ... uhm, we are the ones who will beat you up. Yeah. The big kid responds, but without much confidence. Your allies glance at you appreciatively and chuckle, even Minerva seems to look encouraged by this.

Dada
2010-05-04, 03:58 PM
OOC:

Good one, hadn't seen that clip before.

Wilton smirks, satisfied that his response hit the target. "Aww, did you come all the way out here, just to beat little me? Well, we'll see how that works out for you, I guess."

He almost slings another insult at the leader, but ends up just shrugging instead. Wilton had learned that those brute-types often ended up attacking instead of retorting, and starting a fight might not make him popular with his new friends.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-04, 11:32 PM
After some grumbling, the five enemies settle down, still eyeing Wilton and the gang angrily. Minerva takes you to the side and asks you to keep an eye on the western bridge (which is barely visible from where you are). She reminds you that although a non-attack agreement exists with the western island, it's always good to keep an eye for surprises.

The watch seems to have settled into a routine. Both sides seem to have done this before, and after the initial excitement subsided, boredom ensues. Does Wilton wish to initiate anything, or is he content letting the time pass?

Dada
2010-05-05, 01:08 AM
No, I'll just wait around and follow the routine. I also keep an eye on the other bridge, squinting and trying to make out anything over there.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-05, 12:39 PM
Let's see if anything remarkable happens. [roll0]

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-05, 12:45 PM
You keep your attention focused on the West bridge, but see nothing of interest. From time to time, a raven or a sparrow appears and squawks something in the ears of one of the elves. The elves listen to the bird, then let it go. It's almost lunchtime. The sun is high in the sky. Miranda nudges you and tells you to look sharp - you have company.

Another kid approaches your little gathering, from the enemy side. He waves his hands and seems to be calling out to his allies. Two of them turn around to face him. He approaches the group. Any action from Wilton?

Dada
2010-05-05, 01:04 PM
Wilton readies a spear in each hand, and does his best to look sharp and prepared.

"Thats one more than I hoped to see." he says silently. "Any plans, Minerva?"

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-05, 01:13 PM
She shrugs off your question, but you can see she grabs the staff so tightly her knuckles become bloodless and white.

The new kid exchanges greetings with the two who stepped forward to meet him.

Marcus and Johen, you've been recalled. I have to take you back.
Ok, whatever you say. You're the boss.

The three of them take a few steps back, hands in pockets, then
twist around and launch throwing daggers at three of your comrades
Attack [roll0], damage [roll1]
Attack [roll2], damage [roll3]
Attack [roll4], damage [roll5]
Tricky bastards. Luckily, two miss badly, and one merely manages to graze the elf's armor. Initiative please.

Dada
2010-05-05, 01:47 PM
[roll0]

Orcspawns!

OOC:

I love fantasy-curses!

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-05, 01:49 PM
Your allies use your roll, with their own modifiers. For the enemies: [roll0]

EDIT: Ok, here's the situation: You and Minerva are at the back, three elves 10' in front of you, further 20' in front, three enemies, further 10' three more enemies. The bridge is about 7-8' feet wide, barely enough for two to fight side by side.

You go first.

Dada
2010-05-05, 01:59 PM
Assuming the big guy is one of the front three, Wilton instinctively throws a spear at him.

[roll0] (-2 range, +1 point blank shot)
[roll1] (-2 str, -1 weapon + 1 point blank shot)

Subtract one from each roll if Point blank shot does not apply with thrown weapons.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-05, 02:08 PM
As you throw the spear, you feel a change happening in it. It becomes infused with your anger, your deside to hurt your enemy, to inflict pain. It becomes ... heavier - yet remains just as easy to wield. ((ooc: deals normal damage))

The spear hits the kid square in the stomach, but the throw lacks power behind it. It barely manages to penetrate the armor and leaves the enemy with only a light wound.

Next, Minerva; panting heavily, she tries to invoke some kind of power from inside her. It's not easy for her. Beads of sweat roll down her forehead, and the veins in her neck treaten to pop.

Concentration check [roll0] vs. DC 16

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-05, 02:10 PM
Woohooo.... your lovely female friend wins the bout with her own willpower, and manages to complete her incantation.

The three enemies in front seem overcome with some sort of ... well, let's see what are they overcome with, shall we?

Will saves vs. DC 13
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

Well, one of them can't fight the magical influence and drops down in a limp heap. The other two shrug it off.

To be continued ...

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-05, 02:17 PM
Two of the elves advance to meet the two front-line invaders who are still on their feet.

Attack [roll0], damage [roll1]
Attack [roll2], damage [roll3]

The third elf can't do anything at this time, as he lacks a ranged weapon and lacks space to get into melee. He waits for an oppotunity to strike ((ooc: delays))

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-05, 02:20 PM
Well, the big kid, whom you've injured before, is now injured twice, albeit both injuries are no more than light scratches. He and his pal strike back at the elves.

[roll0], [roll1]
[roll2], [roll3]

The three at the back delay their action, to see how the first wave of attack fares.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-05, 02:23 PM
Seeing one elf badly injured, the three dagger-throwers concentrate all efforts on him; they want to take at least one enemy out of the fight at once. The fact they have to be careful not to hit one of their own gives the elf a fighting chance to survive this.

[roll0], [roll1]
[roll2], [roll3]
[roll4], [roll5]

(their previous damage rolls also should've had -1 applied)

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-05, 02:26 PM
Alas, one dagger hits, sending the elf to a rendezvous with the warm stone floor.

The last elf, seeing his friend fall, is frenzied. He raises his sword high, screams a battle cry, and charges at the big kid, with no regard for his own safety. [roll0], [roll1] ... but his lunge is easily parried.

Wilton's turn.

Status: two elves in melee with two humans near the seam. One human injured. In the same general area, a wounded and unconscious elf and an unconscious human lie. 10' back from the melee, three humans with seemingly endless supply of throwing daggers. 20' back from the melee, on the other side, you and Minerva.

Dada
2010-05-05, 02:39 PM
As Minerva draws upon her power, Wilton feels something stir inside himself too. His skin tingles wierdly, and for some reason, he can't help but imagine the enemies sliding, falling and tripping on the bridge. When he snaps out of it, everything seems like a deja vu, as the enemy boys start to lose their footing.

Cast grease, a 10ft square is covered. The front enemy line is effected, and possibly the three with the throwing daggers too.

Reflex save DC 14 or fall prone.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-05, 02:42 PM
The dagger throwers are too far, but the two frontliners definitely feel something amiss. To avoid losing their footing, they desperately try to grab the railing, to stay on their feet somehow. [roll0], [roll1]

Dada
2010-05-05, 02:43 PM
I draw another spear, wielding my last two, then I'm done.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-05, 02:44 PM
On of them falls prone, the other somehow stays on his feet. Minerva's turn; her features tense up again, her breath quickens... Concentration [roll0] vs. DC 18

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-05, 02:48 PM
Alas, this time her mental strength is not up to the task. She draws a sword and shifts her weight uncomfortably from one foot to another, not knowing whether to run or charge.

The two elves attack their enemies.

vs. the one who's prone: [roll0], [roll1]
vs. not prone [roll2], [roll3]

Aaaand the big kid, the one who tried to threaten you ... he's done in.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-05, 02:50 PM
Seeing his leader down, the other kid tries to escape the front lines, careful not to fall flat on the patch of grease. (([roll0] DC 10 balance check, +4 due to holding the railing))

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-05, 02:53 PM
And slips spectacularly and falls prone. Darn. Anyway, he provokes AoO from both elves due to attempting to retreat...
[roll0], [roll1]
[roll2], [roll3]

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-05, 02:57 PM
Seeing their attempt at surprise attack failed, the three dagger throwers turn around and run.

Wilton's turn again.

Status: Three enemies running, about 60' away. In the greased area, one enemy prone and wounded, one enemy prone and dying, possibly dead, and one enemy unconscious. Near the grease patch, one elf knocked out cold, two elves holding the line. Minerva still next to you.

Dada
2010-05-05, 03:01 PM
The grease patch disappears.

Wilton stands still for a moment, trying to understand what just happened.

Delay 'till Minerva has had a chance to act or give a command.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-05, 03:09 PM
Minerva angrily advances with her sword toward the only conscious enemy.

Run now, and don't come back. And tell your masters we will defeat you each time. Tell them none of you will cross this bridge alive.

Not surprisingly, he complies. The two elves check on their comrade. He's been hit on the head and lost consciousness, but the wound seems to be survivable.

Dada
2010-05-05, 03:14 PM
Wilton gives the fallen elf a worried look. "We should probably get him back to the house, as soon as possible. Those Oozeheads! We really ought to chase each of them down." He sighs.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-05, 03:21 PM
Yes, let's get him back. The Ooozeheads ... I'm afraid I'm not familiar with the term, but it does capture their essence quite nicely ... are unlikely to return today. As for chasing them down, I'm afraid I'm not up to the task.
She pants again.
And someone, please check up on our prisoners.

A quick examination of the badly-wounded human leads you to the conclusion that he has expired from a penetrating wound to the stomach ((If Wilton doesn't wish to examine him, an elf does so, and conveys this information))

The other human still lies unconscious, as if in deep slumber.

Dada
2010-05-05, 03:31 PM
Wilton tries to avoid thinking about the.. expired.. enemy. This somehow all feels very unreal. "So, what do we do about this unconcious one?" He sighs again. "Anyway, you guys get our friend back to safety. You are probably stronger than me, and know him better. I'll stay here and keep watch until you get back."

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-05, 03:37 PM
The elves and Minerva scratch their heads. They take the sleeper's sword away, and rapidly relieve him of his armor.

He'll be awake soon enough, and we have no rope or other restraints. Minerva says.
Could just finish him off now, you know. An elf suggests.
And if we do ... then what does that make us?
One step closer to winning, I presume. Or at least to not losing.

((Does Wilton have anything to say?))

Dada
2010-05-05, 03:45 PM
"We can't just beat him while he's sleeping! I mean, he's not an orc or something. But yeah, we can't hold him captive, can we? And if we let him go, he'll try to beat us another time. Man, this is hard." He frowns. "I still don't like killing him while he's defenseless, though. It seems wrong."

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-05, 03:47 PM
If you don't like killing him when he's defenseless, you can go with Minerva and get Malar to the lodge. (apparently Malar is the wounded elf). The two of us will stay here.

Dada
2010-05-05, 03:57 PM
"Wow, this is really war.. isn't it?" Wilton looks worried as the realities of this.. game.. dawn on him. "You're probably right, but ugh.. it makes me sick to think about. I'll just help Minerva get Malar back then." He collects the thrown spear, then looks at Minerva. "Are you okay with this? It is unclear whether he refers to killing the sleeping enemy, or the two "weaklings" having to carry Malar home.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-05, 04:23 PM
Minerva seems too tired and apathetic to argue or voice any kind of opinion. The two of you grab the wounded elf by the armpits and with much effort, start carrying him back to the island.

Closer to the island, Minerva perks up and even feels up to some kind of conversation.

So, nice trick back there, knocking them off their feet. Where'd you learn to do that?

A bit later, three quarters of the way, you're met by Tarbeen, running toward you in full battle gear, flailing his arms excitedly.

I got the signal from the watchbirds that you're under attack. Do you need reinforcements? Oooh... is he hurt badly? What happened to the others?
I think you're a bit late for the war. But you can go on and join the other two guards. They're fine, if a bit outnumbered. Wilton and I will take care of this one.

Dada
2010-05-05, 04:32 PM
"Actually.. I don't really know. These kind of thins just seem to happen around me. I just felt really.. I don't know.. inspired, seeing your spell. It was more effective than mine too." Normally, Wilton would have been scared and shocked by the magical events, but it didn't really seem to bother him today. Probably because of all those other wierd events lately.

Wilton smiles as he sees Tarbeens excitement. "Yeah, they attacked, but we beat them. You should probably reinforce the bridge as Minerva said. And take care out there.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-05, 04:44 PM
You keep walking toward the island, leaving the gnome behind.

Inspired, eh? Well, glad to be of service. Ah, here we are, back on the ground. I never ever want to leave. She stands next to a tree, and lays her hand on it, seemingly regaining energy as a thirsty man would from a glass of water.

You follow a safe passage from the shore to the log house, a small tunnel-like path between trees and bushes.

OOCYou had a chance to see the safe passage in the morning, when going on your guard duty, the DM forgot to mention this :smallwink:

You lay the elf on a bed. His wounds aren't too bad, and he's already begun to come to his senses. Minerva washes his face with wet cloth, then turns to you.

So, just discovered you had those abilities now, did you? How did it make you feel?

And before I forget, 100 XP to Wilton for his contibution in the fight.

Dada
2010-05-05, 04:56 PM
Relieved to be back, and that Malar seems to be recovering, Wilton finally relaxes.

"Well, actually.. I don't really know what abilities I have. I just do.. stuff.. sometimes. Normally its kinda scary, but this time it was just really exciting." He talks eagerly, sensing that Minerva might understand some of these things. "You have abilities too, right? What can you do?"

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-05, 05:03 PM
Minerva sighs.
My heritage is the source of my power, and also my curse. I'm a half-dryad. My father was an elf, and my mother a spirit of the forest. Why am I saying "was"? ... They're still alive ... but feel so far away ... I can no longer feel the connection to them.
She continues:
With my mother's milk, I inherited some of her magic. Like her, I can affect people's minds. But, like her, I can't be far from trees. Even going on the bridge for a few hours makes me sick. And my powers almost leaves me when I'm sick.

Dada
2010-05-05, 05:15 PM
Wilton nods. "I understand. So, its like, torture, having to go and stand watch every day? That must be really hard. Have you been here for a long time?" he asks, curiosly.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-05, 05:24 PM
Well into my second year.

She bites her lips, shakes her head, then decides to confide in you, lowering her voice to a whisper, so the slowly recovering elf can't hear.

Wilton, I'll tell you something I haven't told anyone before. This isn't working. We haven't made any progress since I'm here, except some minor back-and-forth skirmishes. People come and go. And since the southern islands fell under the heel of this ... empire, it's become much worse. Telor tells everyone we can weather the storm, that we can overcome. I don't believe him, but I play along. I'm not sure he believes himself even.

They sent six today, but could send double that number next time. And what are we to do against a coordinated attack from two sides? We're weak, Wilton. We can't resist for long. The empire will eat us up in a few more attempts. I wish I knew what to do. My mother would have known.

Dada
2010-05-05, 05:41 PM
Wilton responds with a frown and a lowered voice. "It doesn't look good, thats for sure. But there's gotta be something we can do. I'm not satisfied with arriving just in time for the big defeat. We have to be able to do something apart from guarding bridges.. That won't get us anywhere. How did the empire get so big anyway?"

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-05, 09:34 PM
How did they get so big? Well, from the stories I heard, there were a lot of strong kids on their original island. So they took initiative and started attacking. With each island they took, they had more slaves, and when they gained control of an island, they gained control of that island's stream of new arrivals. They have, I don't know, half-dozen islands by now, maybe more.

She pauses to let you digest the information.

We could try to create an alliance with Windy Island, that's our neighbour to the west - but gods know we tried, they don't want an alliance, say it's against the rules of the game, and are content with a non-attack treaty.
We could, I guess, throw the treaty away and attack them anyway. We might win, they aren't very powerful from what I saw, but what good will it do? They also have at least one bridge connecting to the empire. So we'll have to defend three fronts.
We could try a counterattack against the Empire - go out in a blaze of glory, if you will, instead of waiting for a painful death.
We could, as our leader wants us to, try weather the storm and hope the rate of new arrivals outweighs the rate of fatalities.
And what do you think?

Dada
2010-05-06, 01:20 AM
"Hmm, I guess that makes sense. The last thing we need now is more enemies and more bridges to defend, so attacking Windy Island is out. And thats even without taking the treaty into consideration. And while taking the fight to the Empire would be nice, I, for one, do not intend to go out, blaze or glory or no blaze of glory. That leaves Telors plan. As much as I would like to say thats the one to use, I'm not sure. We can't hope to keep them forever, so we are basically reduced to waiting for someone else do deal with them, or at least distract them." Wilton sits with a thoughtful expression.
"And even if someone else did deal with the Empire, that would just leave us an even more dangerous enemy. We have to come up with something else.."
He pauses briefly.
"Well, one thing I've learned from me and my friends getting chased, before I came here, is that you never want to fight the enemy on his terms. And thats what we're doing right now. We could make an ambush.. stop guarding one of the bridges, and as soon as they send a group over, we hit them hard, and take them out. Your magic should be more powerful back on land right? But that'll probably just lead to them sending even bigger groups.. Unless we manage to scare them."
He pauses again.
"We could also try to coordinate things with their other enemies. Windy Island is just one, but they must fight other islands too. If we could contact them, we might have a fighting chance. But the bridges are guarded all day, right? So we would have to either move through Windy Island, or hit our way through. If we actually got to one of their islands, we might be able to free the slaves and arm them?"
A flash of inspiration strikes Wilton.
"We could send our birds!"

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-06, 01:45 PM
An ambush is an interesting idea. We may have to resort to that; my magic is indeed stronger within the forest. Only thing I'm scared of, what if their first order of business, upon setting foot on shore, will be to burn the forest down? What if we can't stop them in time?

The birds ... they're just plain birds, trained for reconnaisance. Some can perform other simple tasks, like the one who woke you up this morning. Send them, you suggest ... where?

Dada
2010-05-06, 01:54 PM
"I don't think they would be able to start a fire without us noticing. But you are right, we shouldn't underestimate them. We would probably need some bait. And they would be suspicious if we just left the bridge wide and ungarded. Hmm.." He trails a bit off in thought.

"Oh, and the birds. Well, they seemed smart, and I figured we could use them to deliver letters to other islands. But its probably a stupid idea." He smiles sheepishly.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-06, 02:00 PM
Not stupid at all. Problem is, without guidance, the letters are just as likely to fall into the wrong hands. They'll also have to stop at each island to rest ... not strong enough to hop several islands at once ... but maybe, if they can get west far enough, we can make contact with ...

It doesn't exist.

The two of your turn your heads, to see the wounded elf, barely standing, clutching a chair to prevent himself from falling. How did he manage to walk the ten steps from his bed, you have no idea. Must have cost him some effort. He repeats,

It doesn't exist, Minerva. It's a myth. And it's against the rules anyway.

He turns around, and panting heavily, hobbles back to bed.

Dada
2010-05-06, 02:09 PM
Wilton looks surprised at the elf, wondering for how long he had been listening to the conversation. "What? What is against the rules?" he asks, a bit more excited than he should be about a myth.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-06, 02:20 PM
It's called The Confederacy. Or the Alliance. Hard to say, when all you get is rumors from birds who strayed away too far. And the birds got it as rumors from other birds. Who got it from gods know where. Their vocabulary is quite limited, you see, and so are the concepts they can convey.

Some birds, who went too far west for their own good, and managed to return, told me a story of a group of islands, united in alliance. It lies to the west, they say. Far beyond Windy Island; several bridges beyond. Unlike the empire, they grew by ways of peace and diplomacy. Or guile. Depends whom you ask. When I told Telor about this, he was angry. Said it's against the rules of the game. Can't lose on purpose, you see. It's a rule. He says that even if this confederacy exists, anyone who joined it has been duped. He says they are all "losing on purpose", and only the kids from the original, first island that started the confederacy, can win. Says everyone else is just willing slaves for them, and no one else is going home but the original island. And since it's against the rules, Telor continued with impeccable logic, it cannot exist.

Dada
2010-05-06, 02:36 PM
"Well, just because the entire confederacy can't win together, it doesn't mean that it can't exist. It could be more of a.. temporary.. thing. At least, I would suspect some islands would try to use it that way. It seems like its that kind of power we need to beat the empire though - but even if they did exist, they probably wouldn't help us, unless we joined their little alliance. And that might not be a good idea - it doesn't really matter which massive empire takes away our freedom to me.". He frowns.
"It doesn't sound like Telor would like that plan anyway."

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-06, 03:23 PM
No, he wouldn't. Well, our friend is not in danger, so I'll retire for some rest now. I really exerted myself back there. You can return to the bridge and send Tarbeen back, or stay here, your choice. But, don't forget, either way, someone has to make dinner.

Dada
2010-05-06, 03:31 PM
"Sure thing." He nods understandingly, then leaves the room and heads up on the roof.

What time is it?

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-06, 03:34 PM
It's about lunchtime. Your little group brought a bag of sandwiches on the bridge with you, but you somehow forgot to eat in all the commotion.

Dada
2010-05-06, 03:38 PM
How well can I survey the island and bridges from the roof? Do I see anything interesting?

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-06, 03:53 PM
((OOC: Some Spot checks may have been involved in writing the below description))

You see bridges to the south-east, south-west, and west.

On the SW bridge, you see your three friends keeping watch. No one from the empire side has approached them since. They seem safe.
To the SE, another empirial bridge, two groups of people, enemies and allies, are standing near the middle. They're almost a mile away, but you can feel the tension between them.
The western bridge is empty.

Beyond the bridges, the two empirial islands are hilly, covered with several structures, and a small number of trees. One has a sandy beach, the other rocky bluffs. To the west, Misty Island is true to its name - beyond the general outline, it's difficult to discern any details through the murky veil.

You also see a land mass on the horizon, far to the west-south-west - possibly another island, with which you have no direct connection.

In other directions - north, north-east, and east - you discern nothing but endless sea, criss-crossed by waves.

As for your own island, the lodge is at the top of the highest (in fact, only) hill. A ring of grass runs around the island, between water and forest. The rest of the island is covered in deep forest, with the exception of some clearings to the north and to the west.

Dada
2010-05-06, 03:57 PM
Wilton stands in deep thought for a couple of minutes, trying to make sense of the events of the day, the conversation with Minerva, and this wierd.. game. He shakes his head, then climbs the stairs and heads towards the SE-bridge.

That would be the one where Telor is, right?

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-06, 04:02 PM
Yes. Does Wilton go all the way to the middle to meet Telor?

Dada
2010-05-06, 04:06 PM
Yes, that was the plan. Asssuming my presence doesn't trigger a reaction from the Empire, I'll give Telor a short briefing, describing the attack and the combat briefly, then explaining that Malar is hurt and Minerva resting at the lodge.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-07, 09:53 AM
Telor is surprised to see you. He takes you to the side as you brief him, wary of the enemies overhearing. He smiles at your report of victory.

So that explains why our 'mirrors' were so antsy today. Probably waiting for their allies to give them a signal.

He frowns at the news of injuries.

That's not good... I hope they aren't out of comission for long. Well, thanks for telling me, you can return now, we can hold the line here.

If you have nothing further to say to him and return to the lodge
Minerva is waiting for you with ink and some sheets of something that looks like paper, but is made of pressed dry leaves.

Figured if you want to use the birds and send the other islands a message, you'll know what to write in it.

((OOC: I have been mistakenly referring to the island in the west as both Misty and Windy Island. Misty is correct. Also, I'll be unable to post most of the weekend))

Dada
2010-05-07, 10:30 AM
"I'll go check up on the other bridge, but I figured you'd like to know what was going on first. I'll see you back at the lodge tonight, if all goes well." Content that things seem to be working out here, Wilton heads over to the SW bridge.

OOC:

You might want to edit in important spoilers in your messages, since my email notification despoilers them. I usually don't read the notifications, and I'll definately try to avoid doing it, now that I am aware of the problem. Still, better safe than sorry.

Also, no worries on nothing being available in the weekend - I'll head out in ten minutes, and not be able to (reliably) post again until sunday.

Oh and my compliments on a very cool game here. You should really consider running it for other players in the future, as I'm pressing F5 far to often for my own good.. Thumbs up from here.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-07, 10:39 AM
Tarbeen and the two elves greet you at the SW bridge. They are alone, no enemies face them.

The corpse of the boy who died is nowhere to be seen - and neither is the boy who went unconscious. Their swords and armor are piled in a neat stack nearby - this, and the few dried bloodstains on the stones are the only reminder of the recent battle.

OOC: Glad you like the game. I'll definitely run it for more players when I get the time.

Dada
2010-05-08, 05:59 AM
Wilton greets them. "I'm glad you guys are holding out. Did I miss anything?" He decides not to inquire about the enemies.

Can I see a building from which the Empire could survey the bridge easily?

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-10, 09:51 AM
Not much. Except the guy who woke up, decided to escape by jumping over the railing. It didn't work well for him, so we tossed the other dead guy over to keep him company.

On the other side, you see several buildings of wood and stone, some 2-3 stories high. Smoke is rising from the chimney of one of them. Also some plumes of smoke rise from sources you can't see on the other island.

Dada
2010-05-10, 10:04 AM
Wilton nods, and tries to push the thought of dead enemies away. "You guys mind if I go and take a peak at their side of the bridge?"

Is the railing "massive" enough that I would be able to hide behind it?

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-10, 10:14 AM
What?! Why would you want to that? They'll kill you if they catch you, you know.
Or put you to work in their factories
I'd rather they killed me.
While the elves argue about the respective merits of death vs. slavery, Tarbeen only says, Take care. I hope you know what you're doing.

((the railing looks more or less like this (http://www.hoylakejunction.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/railing-flowers.jpg), minus the flower pot))

Dada
2010-05-10, 10:24 AM
"Don't worry, they won't catch me." he replies, confident of his abilities to get out of tight spots. With that, he moves towards the other end of the bridge, hoping the railing will cover him enough, that he isn't spotted from the buildings. He is very alert to the presence of threats.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

Feel free to reroll if you prefer me not knowing the rolls.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-10, 10:55 AM
The empire is apparently getting sloppy. Nobody expects anyone to cross the bridge in the wrong direction. You make it almost all the way across unchallenged. You are now no more than 100' from the southern end of the bridge.

Here's the area you can see: {table]|A_|B_|C_|D_|E_|F_|G_|H_|I_|J_|K_|L_|M_|N_|O_|P_|Q _|R_|S_|T_
1|w|w|w|w|w|w|w|w|w|b|w|w|w|w|w|w|w|w|w|w
2|w|w|w|w|||||||||||||w|w|w|w
3||||||||||||||||||||
4||||||||||||||||||||
5|||||||||||||||ov|ov||||
6|||B1|B1|||||||ov|ov||||||||
7|||B1|B1||||||||BC|BC|||||||
8||||||||ov||||||||||||
9|||||||ov|ov|ov|||||||||||
10||||||ov|ov|||||B2|B2|B2||||||
11||||||||||||B2|B2|B2||||||
12||||||||||||||||||||
13||||||||||||||||||||
14||||||p|p|p||||||||||||
15||||||p|p|p||||||||||||
16||||||p|p|p||||||||||||
17||||||||||||||||||||
18||||B3|B3|B3|B3|B3||||||||||||
19||||B3|B3|B3|B3|B3||||||||||c|c|c
20||||B3|B3|B3|B3|B3|||||||c|c|c|c|c|c
[/table]

1 square = 20 feet.

w = water
b = bridge
ov = overgrown area (tall bushes)
c = cliffs
p = pond
B1, B2, B3 = buildings. B3 is a larger stone building, others are smaller one-torey wooden buildings.
BC = building under construction. There are several workers sawing and hammering wood planks, and a foreman who seems to be in charge.

Dada
2010-05-10, 11:03 AM
Eek, that island is smaller than I expected. Do I see any windows in B1, and if so, in what direction?

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-10, 11:15 AM
Sorry if that wasn't clear, the map doesn't nearly cover the whole island, just the part you can see clearly. The whole island is about 2,000-3,000 feet (maybe 100x100 squares)

B1, as you can see, has a window to the north and a door to the east.

Dada
2010-05-10, 11:27 AM
Okay. I guess I'll run to J3, to get out of view of the window facing north. Assuming that goes well, I'll sneak to K5 and try to listen to whats going on. I'll be sure to monitor the in B1.

[roll0]

Just tell me if you want new rolls for the other skills too.. or roll them for me.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-10, 12:20 PM
((Lucky for you, a 1 on a skill check doesn't autofail))

Nobody pays attention to the little halfling scampering around the rocky beach. You find cover behind the bushes. Not far from you, on the other side of the overgrowth, five tired-looking skinny kids are doing construction work, while a sixth, much better dressed and fed, supervises them, periodically yelling at them to work harder.

Dada
2010-05-10, 12:28 PM
((With the way I've been rolling today, I really should just get away.. but..))

How well equipped for a fight is the boss, and do I see any guards nearby? I'll hide for a minute or so, trying to figure out whether the skinny kids are slaves or just lowest in the picking order, as well as what they are building.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-10, 12:37 PM
The boss has a sword at his hip and a whip in his crossed arms; he's wearing the standard-issue black leather armor. There are also a variety of construction tools around that can be used as improvised weapons.

They seem to be building some kind of barracks or storage, and the skinny kids, at least based on the presense of the whip, don't seem to be doing it voluntarily.

Dada
2010-05-10, 12:53 PM
((That was what I feared you would say..))

As he is observing the situation, Wilton slowly feels nausea building inside of him. How dare they take the freedom of others, to use them as their tools. The nausea is soon supplemented with a searing hatred of the empire, and the "boss" in particular. He feels his skin tingle, and the palm of his hand burn with pain, as he leaps forth from the bushes, almost as if in a dream. An orb of pure searing and corroding hatred flies towards the unsuspecting slavedriver.

Move action: Jump out from the cover to gain a clear Line of Effect to the slavedriver
Standard action: Sneak attack with Lesser orb of acid.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

"No man has the right to take away the freedom of another! You still have a chance to win this game if you flee with me now!"

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-10, 01:00 PM
You get him right in the face! The slavedriver staggers back as the acid burns his features. He falls on his knees into the bush, and rolls between the leaves, trying to remove the burning material from his skin. ((ooc: he's at 0 hp, disabled))

The five kids stand before you, as confused as they are shirtless. WIL save DC 12 to join you. If the at least two make the save, the others get another save.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]

Secondary saves, if needed
[roll5]
[roll6]
[roll7]

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-10, 01:02 PM
So, the end result - two kids run away, preferring the safely of slavery to the speculative achievement of teaming up with the strange halfling who jumped out of nowhere and fried their boss with a ball of acid.

Two others step toward you. A fifth one hesitates a lot, but his two comrades call to him and he joins you as well.

Who are you? Where did you come from?

Dada
2010-05-10, 01:15 PM
"I'm Wilton, a new arrival from Greenleaf. Now lets go, while we can!"

With that, he turns and runs back towards the bridge, fearing pursuers or guards arriving at any moment.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-10, 01:28 PM
They have a lot more questions to ask of you, for example, where is Greenleaf, but for now just follow you hesitantly onto the bridge.

When the two elves and the gnome see you arrive with three followers in tow, their jaws drop so hard they're in danger of hitting their chin on the rocks...

Dada
2010-05-10, 01:40 PM
Wilton can't help but beam with pride, as he sees the reactions of his friends. "I hope we can spare a couple of rooms."

He then turns to the slaves: "This bridge leads to Greenleaf, and these brave warriors" he makes an dramatic gesture towards the elves "have kept those black-clad tyrants at bay for quite some time. As I said, I am new here, so if you have further questions, I think they might be better suited to answer them."

Wilton then sits down, exhausted from the escape. "Do we have any sandwiches left?" He smiles sheepishly.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-10, 01:45 PM
Yes, we do have some sandwiches. Also, please have those 200 XP. As you eat, the gnome entertains the new arrivals with explanations about the island. They're nervous about staying on the bridge, in view of their captors, and ask him or you to take them all the way over to Greenleaf.

Dada
2010-05-10, 01:53 PM
"Well, one of us better get back and start preparing dinner anyway. Do any of you want to go home? If not, I'll just lead the way."

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-10, 01:54 PM
You go. I've just started getting the hang of this guarding thing.

Dada
2010-05-10, 02:06 PM
"Sure thing, just don't get killed while I'm gone." he says teasingly. He then leads the freed slaves back to the lodge.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-10, 03:32 PM
Haven't been killed before, not planning on starting now.

You lead your new friends to the island, and through the narrow safe tunnel to the lodge. At the lodge, you're met by Minerva, who has made some preparations for you (see spoiler tag in post 102)

However, seeing your new escort, she completely forgets what she was planning, and mobs your with questions instead.

What? How? Where? Really? Incredible! No, I mean, you really went and ... Really?

Your new friends walk around as if dazed by all this turn of events. Everything about your island and lodge fascinates them. Even the threat of being eaten alive by a spider.

Dada
2010-05-10, 04:02 PM
Wilton is beaming, as Minerva greets them by the lodge. "Yeah, we'll I couldn't really just leave them, could I? But we can talk later, Min." He smiles at her, then addresses the group. "I think we should go the roof, and keep an eye out for your "friends" - maybe you three could tell us a bit about yourselves?"

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-11, 04:11 PM
The kids are all about 12, and their stories are all different, but ultimately unremarkable. One is a farmboy, other the son of a petty nobleman, the third a carpenter's apprentice. All three were going about their business, when, about a year ago, give or take, they met the black-eyed man, and from there, well, you know. Their names are Dirk, Toran, and Melkor.

The three landed on the islands to the southeast and southwest of you. Shortly thereafter, these islands were overrun by the Empire's forces, and most of the defenders killed. Only survivors were these boys, and a few girls; the girls were taken deep into empire territory and the boys never heard from them again. Since then, the boys were employed at all sorts of forced jobs around the islands, and beaten up from time to time.

One of them says, We thank you for releasing us, of course, but it doesn't matter. We lost the game anyway.... we're never going home.

If you go up on the roof to take a look at the southern islands, you see some people running around chaotically, but no obviously hostile activities.

Dada
2010-05-11, 04:23 PM
"Well, I don't know who makes the rules of this "game", and I don't know how they decide when someboyd have lost, but even if you have lost, you can at least help us make sure that the Empire will lose too! I am not going to let them get away with this." It is clear that Wilton is enraged by their tales, but he does not want to dwell on what happened to the other children, and the girls.
"Do any of you know what you were building? Or maybe you've heard or seen something we can use against the Empire?"

After some further talk, Wilton will excuse himself, and go prepare the dinner, while suggesting that Dirk, Toran and Melkor continue to keep watch from the roof.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-11, 11:50 PM
The kids constantly interrupt each other as they do their best to be helpful.
Well, we know some things about the empire... like who runs it and stuff.
And which islands.
And how they call those islands.
They have stupid names.
Yeah, really stupid. Like Defiant and ... Inec... what's that word ...
Inexorable.
Yeah. That's a dumb name if I every saw one. I liked our old name better.
And they're building, like, workshops for weapons and barracks to keep people in. All the time.

To make a long story short, you get some details about the layout and organization of the empire:
- It consists of 9 islands, arranged in, more or less, a 3-by-3 grid. Most of them underwent a forced name change after being taken.
- To the southeast, is Rivalry Island, and the one on the southwest is Ruthless.
- Further west of Ruthless is Defiant Island. That's the 3 islands in the northernmost row.
- The middle row, from west to east, is Fierce, Victorious and Captivity islands.
- The southern row, from west to east, is Intrepid, Restless, and Inexorable.
- The original island, from which the empire started, the kids aren't sure of.
- The empire is run by the Unknown Fathers. There are five of them, although nobody really knows how many, "because, see, they're unknown".
- The Unknown Fathers are the only original population of the original island. They were the strongest and most powerful kids ever to be dropped there.
- They grew up, and are in fact the only adults on all the islands. Although this may just be a legend, because, well, they're unknown.
- Anyway, everyone is afraid of the Unknown Fathers. They're like gods to everyone in the empire. And they can kill you just by looking at you.

Dada
2010-05-12, 08:45 AM
"Weapon Workshops and barracks, eh? Do they get that many new arrivals.. And I wonder what kind of weapons they make.. Anyway, thank you a lot, thats very helpful."

Wilton will talk and then go prepare dinner, while waiting for nightfall. That is assuming nothing noteworthy happens.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-12, 09:12 AM
No further exciting events happen during daytime. The three kids alternate between keeping watch and helping you with dinner. Dusk falls, and the bridge patrols return. Those who haven't seen the new kids are of course jaw-dropped as well, and require the entire story to be retold.

The elves make sure anything unprotected is brought inside, and all windows are properly closed; they say it's about to rain tonight. You find their certainty strange, as the skies are completely clear.

During dinner, discussion turns to the question of how to best use the new arrivals. They're afraid of standing guard at the empirial bridges, and Minerva thinks it's a bad idea anyway, as their presence will merely anger the enemy. And the third bridge is unguarded anyway...

Dada
2010-05-12, 09:25 AM
"Well, guarding the third bridge, while reasonable, might be seen as a declaration that we don't trust Misty Island. Worst case, they might even see it as a hostile action. We really don't need that relationship going south."

"I say we let them keep watch from the roof. They should be able to see if anyone advances on any of the bridges, and either notify our guards, or join the fight and support the bridge that is being attacked."

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-12, 09:27 AM
Nothing beyond various idle conversations happens during and after dinner. Is Wilton content with going to sleep?

Dada
2010-05-12, 09:57 AM
Yes, Wilton has no further actions tonight, except for chatting and retelling the story when anyone asks.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-12, 10:03 AM
You fall asleep to the gentle tapping sounds of rain on the roof. The elves were right about the weather. Morning comes, crisp and clean, and you all gather in the hall to be assigned to your guard duties.

Dada
2010-05-12, 10:16 AM
Wilton eats up his breakfast eagerly, excited and nervous for what today might bring.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-12, 10:37 PM
Puddle of water are slowly drying up under the lukewarm sun. Birds are chirping, the new kids - and in fact, the old kids too - eat breakfast with great appetite. Then, you are assigned to bridges.

Minerva asks if you want to take a day off from guarding and stay in reserve; the empirials might be a tad mad to see you there. If you choose to go, you are assigned to Telor's unit this time, to a different bridge. It's Minerva's idea, to split the two spellcasters for better coverage. If you choose to stay, Tarbeen will don his battle gear with great pleasure and pride.

Dada
2010-05-13, 04:47 AM
"Well, I'm not sure whether anyone saw me, but I guess I'd better stay back, just in case."

How long does it take to reach either bridge from the lodge?

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-13, 10:41 AM
About 1/4 mile from the lodge to the bridgehead, and another 1/2 mile to the middle of the bridge. About 4 minute dash for a human, maybe 6 minutes for a halfling.

If you choose to stay, you get to command the three new kids for the whole day!

Also, let's see if anything happens [roll0]
Do you choose to do anything other than mundane tasks during the day? If not, nothing out of the ordinary happens. You and the kids prepare food, gather berries and fruit in the forest (safe lanes only!), keep watch from time to time, and tend to the birds.

Dada
2010-05-13, 12:11 PM
No I'll stay low and just do those mundane tasks.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-13, 12:49 PM
The troops come back at dusk. The empirial forces were quiet today, they say. Even avoided making eye contact. Either they feel they were dealt a crushing blow, or are scheming something. Possibly both, Minerva adds.

Dada
2010-05-14, 09:54 AM
"Yeah, they're most likely plotting revenge. We'd better be careful and try stay one step ahead." He ponders the situation. "Since they're probably eager to get back at us, they might get careless. An ambush might prove very effective."

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-14, 10:21 AM
Interesting. I'm still reluctant to let them get a foothold on the island - but if you have any great ideas, I'm willing to listen.

Dada
2010-05-14, 12:01 PM
"I don't know if I have any "great" ideas. My plan is prette simple. We have 2 or 3 three guards at the bridge, which probably will make the Empire attack. Instead of fighting, the guards run away, into the trees where we wait. We swoop in behind them and cut off the escape, and with surprise and your magic being stronger in the forest, we should be able to take them down easily and quickly."

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-14, 12:42 PM
Minerva gathers everyone at the dinner table to hear your plan. Telor objects. It's too dangerous, they'll just burn the whole place down. Don't you care about the forest, Minerva?
Much to his surprise, Minerva is actually neutral about this, letting the debate play itself out.
Some kids support you, some their leader. ((Is there anything else you'd like to say before I start making Diplomacy rolls? :smallbiggrin:))

Dada
2010-05-14, 01:20 PM
"Well, obviously we'll have to stop them, if they try to start a fire or something. But I think its a pretty good bet that they'll just try to catch up. In any case, we won't win if we let them fight us on their terms. We have to be the ones who decides when and where to fight, otherwise they're gonna beat us."

That's all I have to add, roll away..

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-15, 11:25 PM
Much to Telor's chargrin, he's outvoted, helped by the three votes of the new kids, who are, surprisingly (or maybe not), staunchly on your side. A separate argument ensues whether the new kids are valid voters, but he loses this point as well.

He grudgingly gives you the permission to start preparing for the ambush. Although, he adds, if those three are valid voters, we might as well turn them into valid warriors. Training commenses tomorrow at dawn.

Dada
2010-05-16, 07:32 AM
Well, I didn't expect to win this.. Now it'd better work..

"Well, we're gonna need two or three fast people to be the "guards". And someone to hold the other bridge too."

I think we are 12 kids, right? That would leave 5 to guard the other bridge, and 5 for the ambush.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-16, 12:15 PM
[[there are 13. 7 elven boys, Minerva, Tarbeen, you, and the three new arrivals]]

So, the guards are basically supposed to bait the enemy into an attack and lose? And then run away as fast as possible? I'll do it! the gnome proudly announces.

Dada
2010-05-16, 01:37 PM
"Actually, you're supposed to run away before you lose." He smiles at Tarbeen. "But I'm glad you want to do it. Anyone else?".

He turns to Telor:"How many guards do you want on the other bridge?" I guess I'd better let him decide something..

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-16, 09:04 PM
Usual five, I guess. Strong-looking. And three weaker-looking at the one they're supposed to attack.

Dada
2010-05-17, 05:56 AM
"Well, its probably more important that they're fast. We don't want them getting caught. Do you think you're fast enough Tarbeen? I know my short legs can't keep up with humans and elves.."

Edit: Tags

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-17, 11:11 AM
Good point, Wilton. You should stay with the ambush group, Tarbeen. I'll go.
Telor, another elf and one of the new kids volunteer to be the 'fall guys'. He then suggests to send three other elves, and two new kids to guard the other bridge. Which leaves you, Minerva, the gnome and two remaining elves in ambush.

Dada
2010-05-17, 11:35 AM
"That sounds good. We might want to think about where to place the ambush, though."

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-17, 11:46 PM
Minerva says, I don't want to let them spend too much time on the island. The very thought of them walking around scares me. I say hit them as soon as they step from the bridge onto the grass.

Dada
2010-05-18, 05:05 AM
"I would tend to agree, only problem is that we don't want to be seen before we strike, and we don't want them to just turn around and run back."

Does the trees and bushes go all the way up to the bridge?

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-18, 10:50 AM
[[the tree cover is about 40-50' from the bridgehead.]]

Dada
2010-05-18, 03:23 PM
"Well, I guess that's it then?"

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-18, 03:25 PM
Sorry, I don't follow. What's it?

Dada
2010-05-18, 03:27 PM
"We hide as close to the bridge as possible, and strikes as soon as we can cut off their retreat, or they start hurting the forest."

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-18, 03:30 PM
Good. Maybe you can work some of that slippery magic to cut off their retreat again, Minerva smiles.

Dada
2010-05-18, 03:40 PM
"I'll see what I can do." I sure hope I can do it again.. "Maybe I should pratice a bit?"

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-19, 10:07 PM
Oooh, oooh, try it on me! Try that slippery thing on me! Tarbeen, you can clearly see, is far too eager for his own good. Well, at least he's not asking to be Acid Orbed.

Meanwhile, without waiting for the morning, the three new kids take wooden swords and start sparring among themselves.

Dada
2010-05-20, 07:48 AM
Wilton heads outside with Tarbeen and uses the rest of his 1st-level spell slots to pratice Grease. He has some problems triggering the spell in a timely manner, but eventually gets the hang of it.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-21, 10:54 AM
The training session goes well into the evening; at night, you go to bed with anticipation. Unless you have something else to do that night, next morning preparations begin for an ambush:

Map: {table]|A_|B_|C_|D_|E_|F_|G_|H_|I_|J_|K_|L_|M_|N_

1|t|t|t|t|t|t|t|t|S|t|t|t|t|t|t|t|t|t|t|t
2|t|t|t|t|t|t|t|t|S|t|t|t|t|t|t|t|t|t|t|t
3|o|o|o|o|o|o|o|o||||o||o|||o|o||
4|o|o|||||o|o|o|o|o|||o|o|o||||
5||||||||||||||||||||
6||||||||||||||||||||
7||||||||||||||||||||
8||||||||||||||||||||
9||||||||||||||||||||
10||||||||||||||||||||
11||||||||||||||||||||
12||||||||b|b|||||||||||
13||||||||b|b|||||||||||
14|w|w|w|w|w|w|w|b|b|w|w|w|w|w|w|w|w|w|w|w
[/table]
w = water
b = bridgehead
o = overgrown area (provides concealment)
t = treed area (provides cover)
S = safe passage to loghouse (well-hidden)
Any square not marked is plain grass.
1 square = 5'

The ambush group consists of you, Minerva, the gnome and two elves.

Feel free to make whatever tactical preparations.

Dada
2010-05-23, 07:13 AM
OOC:

Busy weekend, sorry.

The plan:
The three guards at the bridge will show up in the morning as usual. They'll probably look nervous, which is fine. As soon as the Empire takes hostile action, they will flee as fast as possible, and continue towards A1 as they leave the bridge. Once the pursuers reach the area around D5, I'll try to hit them with Grease and Min will use Sleep. I'll try to catch those furthest to the back, while Min will go for the ones in the lead.

Tarbeen and I will be hiding G/H 3/4, and Min and the two elves will be hiding in the trees in the C/D columns. If they catch our guards or start hurting the forest, we'll attack, otherwise my Grease spell will be the signal.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-23, 11:44 PM
The first few hours of the day pass in tense silence. A bird arrives with a note in her beak. One of the elves reads it, and reports, "no offensive action from the empire; in fact, one of their guards just left"

Maybe he went to report back that we only have a small force of guards.

Another hour passes, and another bird arrives. But before anyone can read the note, you spot your three guards running back like crazy, chased by a superior black-armor-clad force. The empirials are pelting them with daggers and rocks as they run, and just before reaching the island, one of the elves is hit and collapses. The others run forward as planned, with the empirials on their tails.

1|t|t|t|tM|t|t|t|t|S|t|t|t|t|t|t|t|t|t|t|t
2|t|t|tE|tE|t|t|t|t|S|t|t|t|t|t|t|t|t|t|t|t
3|o|o|o|o|o|oT|oW|o||||o||o|||o|o||
4|oE|oE|||||o|o|o|o|o|||o|o|o||||
5||||B||||||||||||||||
6|||B|||||||||||||||||
7|||||B|||||||||||||||
8||||B||||||||||||||||
9||||||B||||||||||||||
10|||||B|||||||||||||||
11|||||||B|||||||||||||
12||||||||bB|b|||||||||||
13||||||||b|b|||||||||||
14|w|w|w|w|w|w|w|bE|b|w|w|w|w|w|w|w|w|w|w|w
[/table]
w = water
b = bridgehead
1 square = 5'
T = Tarbeen
W = Wilton
E = Elves (total of 5 - 2 in ambush, 2 running, 1 wounded on the bridge)
B = black-armored empirials (total of 8)

OOC Grease has a range of 25'+5'/2 levels, so only the leading 4 are right now in range. Where do you aim the spell, or do you wait more?

Dada
2010-05-24, 07:12 AM
Hmm, rules.. Wish I was better at them.

Under the assumption that I get a surprise round, I should be able to five-foot step to F4, then cast Grease, correct?

If yes, then how is the range calculated? If the whole spell needs to be inside the range, then I'll need to think a bit more. If the spell just needs to centered on an intersection within range, then I should be able to center it on E/F 9/10 after taking the aforementioned five-foot step.

Can you tell I'm nervous? :smalltongue:

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-24, 09:36 AM
Yes, you can do that. You step forward out of the bushes, and cast your spell. Grease affects E10 (reflex save [roll0] and F9 (reflex save [roll1]).

At the same time, Minerva casts her own spell, affecting C6 (Will save [roll2]), D5 (Will save [roll3]), D8 (Will save [roll4]), E7 (Will save [roll5]).

Let's see what happens.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-24, 09:40 AM
F9 drops on the ground, yelping meekly, while his friend just manages to keep his footing. Three others (C6, D8 and E7) are overcome with fatigue and decide to take a rest, while D5 shrugs it off.

Bad guys initiative [roll0]. Roll for the good guys, with each character using their individual modifier.

Dada
2010-05-24, 09:47 AM
[roll0]

Wiltons modifier: +4

Edit: Wow, we're fast. Go us!

Dada
2010-05-24, 10:13 AM
I assume I go first for the "good guys".

Wilton moves to G8 with a shortspear in hand. This is it. He casts another Grease spell, this time on G/H 11/12.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-24, 10:22 AM
Boldly, you step forward right next to the prone Empirial. As you cast your spell, he could have swiped at you with his sword, but is too surprised to do so [[flat footed, can't make attacks of opportunity]]

Two more black-armored guys struggle to keep their footing [roll0] <-- and both fail.

[[very busy right now, will finish rest of the turn later today]]

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-24, 09:20 PM
Minerva shouts a brief incantation at one of the still-standing foes. Eventhough her magic flows effortlessly here among the trees, his will is strong, and he manages to shrug off her enchantments.
The two elves who were just now running for their lives, turn back and attack the Empirial warrior at D5 with their swords; he's caught by surprise, but quickly regains his bearings and parries both blows.
Of the two elves that were hiding in the trees, one throws a spear at the same warrior and misses, while the other steps forward and also swipes with his sword; the blade pierces the cured leather armor, but lacks the power to deal significant damage (2 damage).

Now the empirials' turn.
D5 shakes the sleeper next to him (C6) and wakes him up. C6 jumps on his feet, ready to fight, but when doing so, leaves himself momentarily open, and is taken down by a strike from an adjacent elf (Attack of opportunity upon standing up deals 5 damage and downs him for good)
E10 takes a step to D9 and wakes up another sleeper, who's jumps on his feet and throws a dagger at Wilton, piercing the armor and drawing blood (2 damage).
All three prone Empirials attempt to get up, but slip and fall down face down is magical grease again.

Wilton's turn again.

The first grease spell you cast expires at the start of your next turn.

2|t|t|tE|tE|t|t|t|t|S|t|t|t|t|t|t|t|t|t|t|t
3|o|o|o|o|o|oT|o|o||||o||o|||o|o||
4|o|o|E||||o|o|o|o|o|||o|o|o||||
5|||E|B||||||||||||||||
6||||||||||||||||||||
7|||||BZ|||||||||||||||
8|||B||||W|||||||||||||
9|||||B|BP||||||||||||||
10||||||||||||||||||||
11|||||||BP|||||||||||||
12||||||||BP|b|||||||||||
13||||||||b|b|||||||||||
[/table]
w = water
b = bridgehead
1 square = 5'
T = Tarbeen
W = Wilton
E = Elves (total of 5 - 4 fighting, 1 wounded on the bridge)
B = black-armored empirials (7 left)
BP = empirial, prone
BZ = empirial, asleep

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-24, 09:23 PM
Guess whom I completely forgot. Tarbeen. The gnome runs forward to the sleeping empirial, and with a fire you never guessed you will see in his eyes, runs him through with a spear. SPLAT doesn't even begin to describe it. There, now turn is done.

2|t|t|t|tE|t|t|t|t|S|t|t|t|t|t|t|t|t|t|t|t
3|o|o|o|o|o|o|o|o||||o||o|||o|o||
4|o|o|E|E|||o|o|o|o|o|||o|o|o||||
5|||E|B||||||||||||||||
6||||||T||||||||||||||
7||||||||||||||||||||
8|||B||||W|||||||||||||
9||||B||BP||||||||||||||
10||||||||||||||||||||
11|||||||BP|||||||||||||
12||||||||BP|b|||||||||||
13||||||||b|b|||||||||||
[/table]
w = water
b = bridgehead
1 square = 5'
T = Tarbeen
W = Wilton
E = Elves (total of 5 - 4 fighting, 1 wounded on the bridge)
B = black-armored empirials (6 left)
BP = empirial, prone

Dada
2010-05-25, 03:17 AM
Wilton yelps as he is struck by the dagger. He curses under his breath as he stabs at his prone opponent, trying to exploit his attempt to get up.

AoO against F9 as he tries to stand up (and fails):
[roll0] (-1 modifier, +4 prone opponent)
[roll1]

Own turn coming later.

Edit: Was Telor one of the fleeing elves, or is he lying on the bridge?

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-25, 08:51 AM
You scratch him and draw blood, but he seems more angry than hurt.

Edit: Was Telor one of the fleeing elves, or is he lying on the bridge? [roll0] (1-2 = fleeing, 3=lying)

Dada
2010-05-25, 11:08 AM
Crud.

Wilton takes a five-foot step back to G7 then casts Grease at C/D 8/9.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-25, 11:13 AM
Reflex save [roll0] <--- He plops on his butt. First grease spell expires. To be continued.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-25, 11:27 AM
Oh, sorry, there were two in the area of effect. 2nd save [roll0]

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-25, 11:44 AM
Three elves beat down on the D5 empirial, running him through with their swords. It's not a pretty sight, and Wilton may want to avert his eyes.
All three take a few steps forward toward the other enemies.
Another elf advances to D7 and stabs at the prone enemy, piercing his throat and sending him to gurgle on his own blood (6 damage, negative hit points)
Tarbeen charges at F9, stabbing with his shortspear again, with no success this time - eventhough the guy is prone, he still has his armor to stop the blow.
Minerva chooses not to enter melee combat - she throws a dagger from a safe spot in the bush, but misses.

Bad guys now.
The two imperial soldiers closer to the bridge manage to get up, and run back toward the bridge. The other two aren't so lucky, as they slip and fall again.
Still, from prone position one of them gets a lucky shot and cuts Tarbeen's stomach badly. Tarbeen goes down.
Four elves, you, Minerva, vs. two prone Empirials (grease spell expires on your turn).
Telor, Tarbeen, and several empirials lie around dead or dying. Two empirials running away.
(Those at negative HP do not appear on the map; those running away are beyond the south edge of the map.)

Map: {table]|A_|B_|C_|D_|E_|F_|G_|H_|I_|J_|K_|L_|M_|N_|
1 |t |t |t |t |t |t |t |t |S |t |t |t |t |t |
2 |t |t |t |t |t |t |t |t |S |t |t |t |t |t |
3 |o |o |o |o |o |oM|o |o | | | |o | |o |
4 |o |o | | | | |o |o |o |o |o | | |o |
5 | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |
6 | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |
7 | | | |E |E | |W | | | | | | | |
8 | |E |E | | | | | | | | | | | |
9 | | | |BP| |BP| | | | | | | | |
10| | | | | | | | | | | | | | |
11| | | | | | | | | | | | | | |
12| | | | | | | |b |b | | | | | |
13| | | | | | | |b |b | | | | | |
14|w |w |w |w |w |w |w |b |b |w |w |w |w |w |
[/table]
w = water
b = bridgehead
1 square = 5'
W = Wilton
E = Elf
BP = black-armored empirial, prone

Dada
2010-05-25, 02:29 PM
"Tarbeen! Somebody, help him and Telor!" Not knowing anything about healing or treating wounds, Wilton stands paralyzed, as he feels hatred flowing through his hands.

Ready an action to cast Lesser Orb of Acid on the empirial who cut Tarbeen, as soon as he stands up.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-25, 02:36 PM
Two elves do as you say. One approaches Tarbeen and stems the blood flow by applying pressure to his stomach. The other flanks the battle in a half-circle to reach Telor ... too late ... the elven leader, with three daggers in his back, expired from his wounds.

Two other elves, hatred burning in their eyes, approach one of the prone empirials ...
[roll0], [roll1]
[roll2], [roll3]

... to be continued.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-25, 02:39 PM
... and he's down (it's the one you grazed before). Well, he was down before, as in prone, but now he's really down... you know what I mean.

Minerva also approaches Tarbeen and assists in treating his wounds. The last remaining Empirial soldier tries to get up. You feel the drops of acid running between your fingers, as they coalesce into a sphere. You hurl it at your opponent and ... [[roll plz]]

Dada
2010-05-25, 03:05 PM
[roll0] (touch)

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-25, 03:06 PM
Hit. Damage?

Dada
2010-05-25, 03:19 PM
Oh, right. I'm a bit distracted, sorry.

[roll0]

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-25, 03:23 PM
The blob of acid hits him on the side of the neck, melting skin and tissue all the way to the spine. Once the fog of war clears and you have time to assess the situation, we have six Empirial goons either dead or in various stages of dying, two goon running away, Telor dead and the gnome is badly injured, but has been treated and seems like he will make it.

200 XP

Minerva approaches Telor's body and shakes her head sadly, barely stifling tears. He volunteered to go....

Dada
2010-05-25, 04:13 PM
Wilton gently places a hand on her shoulder. "Min.. I'm sorry." He sighs, blinks his own tears away, then turns around.

"Okay, we need to get Tarbeen back now. And Telor. We can't just leave him here. I need four of you to do that, with three of you returning here as soon as possible. I need one of you stay here with me and guard the bridge until then. Okay?

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-26, 07:19 PM
Minerva wipes her tears, as she and the others obey your command, as in stupor. You can see they're looking up to you now. One remains on guard, while the others carry the bodies back to the lodge.

[[what, if anything, are you doing with the fallen enemies?]]

Dada
2010-05-27, 05:30 AM
"So, what do we do with these empirites? Make sure they are dead and dump them in the sea? Seems pretty grim, but we can't just leave them here either. Maybe dump them in the forest and let some of the spiders.. dispose.. of the bodies."

Unless his companion has another idea, Wilton will make sure that all hostiles are dead, then dispose of the bodies. He wipes the cold sweat from his face, meagerly manages an "..excuse me..", then pukes his guts out, partly from the exhaustion of spending so much arcane power, partly from murdering dying people and moving dead bodies.

Once he regains his bearings, the two will head off to monitor the bridge.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-27, 11:27 AM
Your elven companion seems to appreciate your newfound appetite for killing. He helps you as much as possible. You toss the bodies into the trees, where they will participate in the cycle of life, then head off to the bridge. In the distance, you can see the two fleeing empirials reach the far shore.

The three elves come back and tell you Minerva is treating Tarbeen and he's going to be fine. Then, nothing happens for a while. Does Wilton do anything proactive except keeping watch?

Dada
2010-05-27, 11:37 AM
I hope we made sure to loot any useful equipment before disposing of the bodies - you never know when it might come in handy, or if they might have anything more useful than my shortspears.

Anyway, when the other elves come back, I'm heading off on a short scout run to the empirial side.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-27, 11:45 AM
You looted some longswords, throwing daggers and studded leather armours.

As you head to the empirial side, about 300' away you take an arrow to the face. Or maybe not. Hurray for range penalties.

[roll0], damage [roll1]

Edit: it clatters harmlessly against the stones. Make a Spot check please.

Dada
2010-05-27, 11:51 AM
First thought: "Ooh, maybe I can get a decent ranged weapon"
Second thought: "That would have dropped me, and I'm out of spells...¤%#!"

[roll0]

If I don't see anything, I'm gonna turn my tail and run. From the arrows path, does it seem like it was fired from the shore or the bridge?

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-27, 11:56 AM
Seems it was fired from somewhere on shore, you don't see exactly where. There are several buildings and overgrown areas where the archer could have been hiding. You turn and run, reaching your side with no further incident.

Dada
2010-05-27, 12:01 PM
Wilton arrives at the other guards, gasping for air. "..Crud..They have real ranged weapons. And are apparently keeping watch. I didn't see anything except from the arrow."

I'll just stay and keep watch for the rest of the day, if nothing else happens.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-27, 11:50 PM
Nothing of interest happens for the rest of the day. As you return to the island, the elves join hands in a ritual prayer over Telor's grave. They sing, in low and sad voices, words you can't quite understand. After this is done and the grave, as customary, is covered in leaves and branches, they turn to a pressing logistic question: what about the basement?

Apparently, Telor was the only one who ever went to the basement, not letting anyone else go there because it's dangerous, although he never specified why. And he kept some kind of storage there. Although no one is sure exactly what.

Dada
2010-05-28, 06:58 AM
Well, if nobody knows whats in the basement, we'd better find out. After all, Telor wouldn't have been bothering going down there for no reason. I say some of us go take a look tomorrow.

Was Telor ever hurt when returning from the basement?

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-28, 11:12 AM
One of the elves says, Now that you mention it, no. Which is strange, given how he always warned us of how dangerous it is.
[[Telor is dead, but the red color lives on!]]

Dada
2010-05-28, 11:22 AM
"Well, I think we'd better send a small group down there tomorrow to check on things. Maybe I'll go with one or two others."

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-28, 02:35 PM
The elves nod. Dinner is more silent and subdued that usual that night. Hardly anyone says anything. The loss of Telor seems to have affected your companions a lot more than the victory over the Empire forces. Those on kitchen duty clear the plates, and soon the main hall empties, with everyone going to their rooms.

[[anything else you'd like to do today before bedtime?]]

Dada
2010-05-28, 04:28 PM
No, I'm good.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-29, 11:33 AM
Night goes by uneventfully. Tarbeen has recovered enough to join you for breakfast, and even makes and attempt to serve it, but the others ask him to sit down. You could use the rest. At breakfast, the elves look up to you.
Should we go to the basement now?

Dada
2010-05-30, 12:38 PM
Wilton is relieved to see Tarbeen is up.

"Yes, lets do that. Who wants to come? Remember we still need to guard the bridges too."

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-30, 11:42 PM
[[ooc: it's still early in the morning, so if you make sure to wrap up the basement exploration quickly, you can do that and get to your guard spot on time]]

Two of the new kids and one elf volunteer to go, rest get geared up for guard duty. In other news, it rained like crazy overnight again. And, although the DM forgot to mention it, the elves correctly predicted it again and took all the laundry indoors last evening.

Dada
2010-05-31, 08:26 AM
Well, having elves on your team certainly is handy!

We'll go down into the cellar, with Wilton leading the way, eyes peeled for anything out of the ordinary. Hopefully this expedition won't take long. What kind of lightsources do we have available?

Rolls (if nescessary):

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-31, 10:20 AM
[[There are a few lanterns and torches lying around the lodge. I assume you have enough mundane light to see clearly]]

The basement is a glum 20'x30' room, serving as a warehouse for assorted rarely-used stuff. Lined against the walls, you find wooden planks, carpentry and gardening instruments, unmarked nailed-down barrels, one of which has been pried open and contains a spicy-smelling powder, coils of rope, canvas, a chest of kitchen utensils, some more weapons (all similar to the ones you have), and a few jugs of paints. The stone floor before some of the barrels is scratched, like they were moved back and forth a lot.

There don't seem to be any creatures, other than tiny harmless vermin, nor anything threatening.

Dada
2010-05-31, 04:37 PM
Do I recognize the powder as a spice, or is it just spicy-smelling?

I'll try to move the barrels near the marks on the floor, to see if they hide anything.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-31, 08:53 PM
It's not something you recognize. It has the texture of ground black pepper, but has a greenish hue. One of the other kids pokes it with his finger and tries some on his tongue.

If you don't stop him:
"Tastes sour"

If you stop him:
"Ok, ok, Mr. Bossypants, I won't touch the green powder of doom."

As for checking behind the barrels, your efforts, combined with the elven senses, reveal a small slit in the brick wall - two columns of bricks have a gap between them. Who discovered the gap exactly? Doesn't matter, it's a team effort.

Dada
2010-06-01, 05:06 AM
Wilton was considering trying a taste of the powder himself, and doesn't stop the other kid from tasting it.

The results are not nearly exicting as the gap, however. "I wonder whats in there.."

Can I see anything through the gap? And is it possible to use the gap to slide a part of the wall away or something?

Lin Bayaseda
2010-06-01, 08:31 AM
Oh, definitely. After fiddling around for a while, you discover that a 5'x5' section of the wall can swing open like a door.

If you open it
You see a narrow stone staircase going down. Dim, murky light is barely visible in the distance

Dada
2010-06-01, 08:42 AM
We'll head down the staircase, after lighting a lantern. Wilton will watch his step very carefully, as this seems.. out of the ordinary.

OOC:

I've been in doubt every time. How do you prefer to do search, spot, hide and similiar rolls? Do you want to roll them for me secretly whenever they are relevant, or should I just roll them when I think they are needed?

Lin Bayaseda
2010-06-01, 01:19 PM
OOC
You can make rolls for yourself for any skill which you believe is relevant.

You descend down the staircase, and the other kids follow closely, taking cover behind your mighty halfling back :smallsmile:

After going down about thirty stairs, the staircase opens into a room. The room is 10'x10', and is completely barren, except for a chair. The floor is pressed earth, and the walls are brick, except for one 5' section. That one section is definitely not brick. It's made of some smooth, maybe even polished, material, and produces dim illumination.

Other kids, in chorus: Whoa.

Dada
2010-06-01, 03:10 PM
"Well, something interesting was going on down here allright.."

Wilton carefully walks into the room and examines it, after having picked up his jaw from the floor.

[roll0]

[roll1]

Lin Bayaseda
2010-06-01, 03:22 PM
[[I am going to assume you cast Detect Magic, because otherwise Spellcraft does very little on its own]]

There are hints of Evocation magic about the panel. More specifically, you recognize one active spell is Sending. There are also traces of abjuration magic, but you don't recognize any specifics. The rest of the room isn't magical.

A search provides the following: The panel, connected seamlessly to the rest of the wall, and the chair are the two only features. The ground is plain and more or less even, the chair is of the same kind as in your main hall, and there are a few depressions in the ground where the chair was standing. The walls are standard brick.

Dada
2010-06-01, 05:33 PM
Good point about Detect Magic.

"It seems like this was used for some kind of communication.. hmm.."

I'll try to touch the wall gently, then sit down in the chair if that had no effect.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-06-01, 07:18 PM
As you put your hand on the wall, you feel it smooth and metallic, and at the same time warm (but not hot) to the touch, like sunbaked rock.

A few seconds later, the wall starts to vibrate slightly. Do you keep your hand on?

Dada
2010-06-02, 06:20 AM
Wilton instantly lets go and jumps back with a small squeak as soon as the wall starts vibrating.

"..that was odd."

Collecting his senses, he adds: "Hopefully curiosity won't kill this cat." Assuming nothing else happens, he puts his hand back on the wall, intending to keep it there if the vibrations start again.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-06-02, 12:18 PM
The vibrations restart, and very soon, coalesce into something tangible. They move up your arm, and into your body ... your head ... until suddenly, inside you, there's a voice talking in impeccable Common.

Hello, who do I have the pleasure or speaking to?

Judging from the expressions of those around you, they hear nothing.

Dada
2010-06-02, 02:25 PM
Wilton feels his heart beating faster, and his palms getting sweaty as the vibrations increase. He looks suspiciously around before answering the strange voice. "I am Wilton.. who are you, and what is this?"

Lin Bayaseda
2010-06-02, 02:31 PM
The others are somewhat weirded out when they hear you talking to no one in particular.

"Uhm, I'm James." One of the denser human kids replies, thinking you're addressing him. The wall begins to vibrate again.

Are you alone in the room, Wilton? If not, please make sure you are before continuing this conversation, and do close the door behind you. We have a lot to talk about.

Dada
2010-06-02, 03:02 PM
"Yeah, of course, just a minute.." he replies, then turns around and adresse the kids:
"Wow, this is wierd, I am somehow.. talking.. to someone. But whoever he is, he says that I need to be alone in here. Would you mind waiting outside?"
Not sure what the voice is able to hear, he puts his finger to his lip, signaling to the kids, that if they must stay, they have to be silent.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-06-02, 03:32 PM
None of them seems willing to stay. Should we go to our posts? It's almost time.

Dada
2010-06-02, 04:17 PM
"Yes, that seems like a good idea. I'll join you as soon as possible."

As soon as they have left, Wilton tries to respond to the voice:
"I am alone now."

Lin Bayaseda
2010-06-03, 09:05 AM
The panel vibrates again, and you can make out the words, Good, good. Pleasure to meet you, Wilton. We are the ones who control the Game. Our previous contact died. We've seen you dig a hole in the ground and place his body there, which is your common death ritual. Would you like to be our new contact, Wilton?

Dada
2010-06-03, 09:25 AM
"Ehm, yeah, well, sure, I guess.." Wilton stutters. "What do I have to do?

Lin Bayaseda
2010-06-03, 09:31 AM
You have to supply us with information. We ask questions about what's going on with your group, and you answer. If you cooperate nicely, we can help you get home. And it goes without saying that you will keep everyone else away from this room, keep it secret.

DM only Listen [roll0]

As you contemplate your reply, you suddenly hear loud shouting from upstairs, somewhat muffled by the doors, but still, there can be no doubt someone is screaming up there.

Dada
2010-06-03, 09:49 AM
"What kind of information do you need? You seemed to know about Telors death already." As soon as he hears the scream, he hastily adds: "I have to go now, but I will come back."

Do I recognize the voice?

Edit: Wilton will hurry up the stairs, spear in hand, even if he does not recognize the voice.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-06-03, 09:52 AM
Yes, yes, do hurry back when you can.

The voice is utterly unfamiliar. It speak perfect Common, flawlessly and meticulously pronouncing every word and syllable.

[[going up, I presume?]]

Dada
2010-06-03, 09:56 AM
Yes, I hurry up the stairs. Actually, I meant if I recognized the screaming voice, but it doesn't effect my actions if I do.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-06-03, 10:02 AM
Ah, sorry, the screaming voice. It's ... well, everyone.

As you rush upstairs, you see everyone who didn't go on guard duty out of the lodge, waving their hands and screaming in panic. About half dozen large birds, eagle-sized maybe, are coming from the south, holding burning oil lanterns in their talons. Just as you emerge from the lodge, you see the lead bird release its flaming cargo right over the forest.

Looks like you pissed someone off. Big time.

Dada
2010-06-03, 10:43 AM
"Oh crud."

Wilton looks around. How many of us are left at home?

"Okay, I need as many of you as possible to start getting water, and maybe some shovels for putting out the oil with dirt. Ignore the birds, the oil will end up in the forest, no matterif we kill them or not."

Lin Bayaseda
2010-06-03, 07:35 PM
You, and the three that accompanied you to the basement. Everyone else is on guard. Following your cue, the kids run back to the garden for some shovels. There are a few buckets of water in the kitchen. More water in the sea, of course, but the shore is about 1/2 mile away.

Right now you notice four possible sources of conflagration:

#1: Range [roll0] x 100 yards, directon [roll1] (1=N, 2=NE, 3=E, etc)
#2: Range [roll2] x 100 yards, directon [roll3]
#3: Range [roll4] x 100 yards, directon [roll5]
#4: Range [roll6] x 100 yards, directon [roll7]

One particularly dumb bird dropped its load in the sea, and one is still circling around.

Edit: So, small fires started
500 yards east,
300 yards north,
800 yards north-west, (right by the shore)
500 yards south

Dada
2010-06-04, 05:29 AM
"Okay, lets split up. You two.." He points to two of the elves. "Grab two shovels and some buckets and handle the fire down by the shore. Use dirt to put out the flames on the ground, and above all, make sure it doesn't spread."

He turns to the last elf, as he turns and runs back to the kitchen for water.
"You, help me handle the closest fires."

Lin Bayaseda
2010-06-04, 11:06 AM
[[I assume you start with 300 yards north]]

DM
[roll0]

You reach the conflagration area. A large bush is on fire, and a tree next to is in danger of catching fire any time soon. You wonder whether you should get closer and risk getting burned, or try to deal with the fire at a distance.

If you want to throw water or dirt on the fire, you need to make a touch attack roll. You can do so from a distance of 5' to 20'. The closer you are, the more you risk getting burned (no risk at 20'), and the further you are, the more likely you are to miss with your load (ie. range penalty).

Dada
2010-06-05, 09:07 AM
"Come on, we've got no time to waste!" Ignoring the massive heat, Wilton advances to put out the flames.

I'll throw the water from 10 feet, at the side of the bush closest to the tree.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-06-05, 09:31 AM
Ok, fire rules:
I treat the fire as a living creature with a certain amount of hit points. Each pail of dirt or water deals 1d6 damage to the fire. A fire that's left undamaged for a while will grow in size (ie. gain more hit points and cover more area). This particular fire covers a 5'x5' area, thus has AC 5.

[[I assume each of you is carrying 2 buckets... ranged touch attack against AC 5, with -2 range penalty, I'll roll for you to save time.]]

[roll0], damage if hits [roll1]

Also, charisma check DC10 to convince the other kid to do the same, otherwise he'll chicken out and stay at maximal range. [roll2]

Lin Bayaseda
2010-06-05, 09:32 AM
Encouraged by your words, the skinny human kid advances toward the flames, and throws his load of water as well [roll0], damage [roll1]

Lin Bayaseda
2010-06-05, 09:35 AM
With your combined efforts, you have almost managed to put out the fire. Almost. Still a small branch smolders. Now let's see if the fire grows larger in size.

Each round, a fire has a chance equal to 1% per hit point to grow larger. This particular fire has 1 hp left, so only 1%.[roll0]

Round summary: Wilton and his friend advanced almost as far as possible into the heart of the flames, and did a good job putting out the fire. Still, one branch burns yet, as they begin to feel the heat.

Make a For save DC 10, same for the human kid 1d20-1, whoever fails takes 1 damage. And your turn again.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-06-05, 09:37 AM
[roll0] for the human kid again

Dada
2010-06-05, 09:58 AM
[roll0]

Encouraged by their succes, Wilton advances to only five feet away, as he tries to put out the last bit of fire.

[roll1]
[roll2] (but probably doesn't matter)

Lin Bayaseda
2010-06-05, 08:32 PM
You have successfully doused the bush, and there's no more danger of fire spreading from this point.... but you only have one pail left. Your eyebrows are slightly burned, but other than that, you're fine. In the sky, you see some of your own birds fighting off the last fire-carrying bird, trying to drive it off the island. Now what do you do?

Dada
2010-06-06, 03:50 AM
"No time to celebrate. I'll take the two full buckets and head to the fire to the east of the lodge. You can fill up the remaining buckets and meet up with me there, okay?"

Lin Bayaseda
2010-06-06, 09:50 PM
He nods and runs off to the lodge. You trudge through the forest, following the smell of smoke and the sound of cracking branches. A couple of minutes later, you're at the next fire, ...

[roll0]

Which is somewhat larger than the first one; well, no wonder, it had more time.

Dada
2010-06-07, 04:06 AM
I'll follow the same procedure as last time, advance til I'm ten feet away, then throw a bucket a water.

[roll0] (assuming same modifiers as last time)
[roll1]

Lin Bayaseda
2010-06-07, 08:28 AM
[roll0]

You douse the fire almost entirely, except for some smoldering embers. Still, being so close to a larger fire takes its toll - make a FOR save DC 12, if you fail take 2 damage. Regardless of the save, you are able to destroy whatever little remains of this fire easily.

Up in the sky, the last fire-carrying bird was driven away - hurray to your own birds!

Dada
2010-06-07, 09:33 AM
[roll0]

Regardless of the outcome, its on to the next fire. I'll continue to the closest point from where I see smoke.

Edit: Ow. 2 damage to me.