PDA

View Full Version : Celestial Armor Trouble

crillitor
2010-04-30, 08:08 PM
I was just wondering if because mithral celestial armor is light and thin enough to wear under normal clothes that I could wear a robe of the archmage over top of it. Now I'm aware that the armor rating would not stack so I would take the AC of the celestial armor. I just want the resistance bonuses and the spell resistance of the robe with the awesome AC from the celestial armor.

Please post with you would think is the answer.
Thanks in advance.

AslanCross
2010-04-30, 08:20 PM
Robes and Armor occupy the same body slot.

Claudius Maximus
2010-04-30, 08:20 PM
You can not do this, because Celestial Armor and Robe of the Archmage both occupy your body slot for magic items.

A humanoid-shaped body can be decked out in magic gear consisting of one item from each of the following groups, keyed to which place on the body the item is worn.

* One headband, hat, helmet, or phylactery on the head
* One pair of eye lenses or goggles on or over the eyes
* One amulet, brooch, medallion, necklace, periapt, or scarab around the neck
* One vest, vestment, or shirt on the torso
* One robe or suit of armor on the body (over a vest, vestment, or shirt)
* One belt around the waist (over a robe or suit of armor)
* One cloak, cape, or mantle around the shoulders (over a robe or suit of armor)
* One pair of bracers or bracelets on the arms or wrists
* One glove, pair of gloves, or pair of gauntlets on the hands
* One ring on each hand (or two rings on one hand)
* One pair of boots or shoes on the feet

Now, you can in fact wear both, since it is physically possible, but only one will have its magic active.

Rad
2010-05-01, 05:24 AM
The fact that you can actually wear those items is irrelevant. Compare it with, say, magic rings. Why can't you wear 10? And IRL many people can wear more rings on the same finger too... Amulets have a similar situation and it can easily be argued that one has no difficulty to wear an helmet over a headband either.
The way to rationalize these limits is that there is a limited number of slots to the human body (chakras?). Only one item can be attuned to your body at the same time through each of them.

BobVosh
2010-05-01, 05:51 AM
Just make it a vest of the archmage. It is the same cost, I believe.

Alternatively: Buy a vest of resistance. The SR is just worthless on that item. 23? Bah.

Yuki Akuma
2010-05-01, 05:56 AM
Going by the 'chakras' route is probably the easiest. Only one magic item per chakra, even if you can wear more than one.

One assumes the 'finger' chakras are too small to worry about for Incarnum users...

2xMachina
2010-05-01, 06:01 AM
Pay 50% more on the cheaper item, and get both benefits. (MiC stacking rules)

KillianHawkeye
2010-05-01, 07:35 AM
Pay 50% more on the cheaper item, and get both benefits. (MiC stacking rules)

Yes. Celestial Armor of the Archmage FTW! :smallwink:

Cieyrin
2010-05-01, 03:09 PM
Just make it a vest of the archmage. It is the same cost, I believe.

Alternatively: Buy a vest of resistance. The SR is just worthless on that item. 23? Bah.

The Vest of the Archmage is a different beast entirely and also that much more awesome. Yay for Vest slot! =D

The Cat Goddess
2010-05-01, 03:23 PM
We've house-ruled that a person can wear more than one magic ring at a time on the same hand... but it takes a move action to un-attune one ring and attune another. The same could be done with headbands, amulets, etc.