PDA

View Full Version : Factotum for Pathfinder?

hotel_papa
2010-05-01, 08:36 AM
When converting a class into Pathfinder, the conversion booklet says to get rid of the dead levels. What would you add to a Factotum for it's two dead levels, namely 6 and, if I remember correctly, 17 or 18?

I was considering a changeable bonus feat, a la the Chameleon prestige class, but something powered by inspiration points.

Any suggestions, playground?

HP

Greenish
2010-05-01, 09:07 AM
How about skill mastery:
Skill Mastery
The rogue becomes so certain in the use of certain skills that she can use them reliably even under adverse conditions.

Upon gaining this ability, she selects a number of skills equal to 3 + her Intelligence modifier. When making a skill check with one of these skills, she may take 10 even if stress and distractions would normally prevent her from doing so. A rogue may gain this special ability multiple times, selecting additional skills for it to apply to each time.Yeah, it's a rogue special thingy, but it fits factotums like vodka fits orange juice.

[Edit]: Somewhere or other (I think d20 Modern) there was an ability/feat/skill/something called Deep Pockets, that allowed you to just pull out any mundane item (with size and cost limitations) from your pockets. Sure, you could just stuff all the mundane items into a bag of holding, but that's neither here nor there.

BobVosh
2010-05-01, 10:12 AM
The PF PrC Pathfinder has something like. Basically you put in gold at some point, and anything comes out. Including low level magic like level 1 potions.
Skill mastery fits. I'm actually pretty sure those would be best.

Deep pockets:
Deep Pockets (Ex): A Pathfinder chronicler collects items as well as lore, picking up small amounts of this or that throughout her travels. As a result, she may carry unspecified equipment worth up to 100 gp per class level. This can be any kind of gear that can reasonably fit into a backpack, including potions and scrolls (but not any other sort of magic item). As a full-round action, the chronicler may dig through her pockets to retrieve an item she specifies at that time, deducting its value from the allocated amount of cost. This item cannot weigh more than 10 pounds. When the total remaining cost reaches 0, the chronicler can retrieve no more items until she refills her deep pockets by spending a few hours and an amount of gold to bring her total up to 100 gp per class level.

In addition, if she takes 1 hour to pack her gear each day, she gains a +4 bonus to Strength to determine her light encumbrance. This does not affect her maximum carrying capacity. The efficient distribution of weight simply encumbers her less than the same amount of weight normally should. Finally, the Pathfinder chronicler gains a +4 bonus on Sleight of Hand checks made to conceal small objects on her person.

hotel_papa
2010-05-02, 04:01 PM
At first, I was going to whine because I only got two responses. But these are pure gold. Thanks a lot!

HP

Mongoose87
2010-05-02, 04:09 PM
The Factotum is so bloody awesome as it is, its dead levels hardly matter.

Escheton
2010-05-02, 04:12 PM
arent the dead lvls there to prevent it from getting too powerfull?

Kaiyanwang
2010-05-02, 04:14 PM
arent the dead lvls there to prevent it from getting too powerfull?

You mean, like odd levels were for fighter?

Mongoose87
2010-05-02, 04:17 PM
You mean, like odd levels were for fighter?

STFU Fightars are totally OP.

Kaiyanwang
2010-05-02, 04:23 PM
STFU Fightars are totally OP.

You know, I'm not even so bad with Fighters in my game: but just to say that a dead level is not necessarily there for balance reasons IMHO.