PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Dragonmech Campaign Help

Callos_DeTerran
2010-05-01, 10:48 AM
So this thread comes about from a very specific source. Dragonmech, most people have heard about it, some have even played it. The general idea is pretty easy to fathom. Moon bad. Mechs good. Most players will probably go the route of piloting the machines and whatnot. More power to them...my PCs didn't. I have to say, this is my second Dragonmech campaign and the first had been very focused on mech combat and boarding. This time I started to take a step back from that and decided I'd start them off on foot and change the campaign based on what they want to do. Started them off with something simple to get a feel for their character's goals. They were indebted to a thief guild leader aboard Nedderpik and to pay it off (or else) they were instructed to go and see what had happened to a shipment of said guildmaster's goods that had been close to the boarder of the wet desert.

Both of the PCs are skillmonkeys. One is a Elf Stalker/Fighter while the other is just pure Halfling Rogue (I think). Nevertheless I expected them to take a more stealth-based approach to adventures (because to them, a rogue is only a rogue if they fit the archtype of trap-disarming, opening locks, hiding, and moving silently.). I was somewhat surprised then when they decided to explore around the mech they were on in search of coglayer plans, schematics, and mech designs to steal (the elf character can perfectly memorize knowledge with a feat from Second Age of Walkers, but only up to 20 pages a day) and then sell them for money. Instead of dungeon-delving thieves, the two have decided to go Ocean's Eleven on me. I have no idea what to do. :smalltongue:

I mean...I've literally never seen, played, or been in a heist-type adventure or campaign, but that's what the two of them seem to be gunning towards since the Elf player has mentioned making a career out of stealing information. I've already had them sneaking about the coglayer ducts on the mech they are on, fight a duo of grease lizards and the cogling who'd raised them...but I'm not sure how to handle heist type adventures. So I turn to the playground for help!

As a related note, I'm also making this thread for any sort of Dragonmech talk period from coglayer steam power combinations to how much PCs hate the moon. :smallwink:

Cieyrin
2010-05-01, 02:36 PM
Ah, I love to see more DragonMech love, as so few seem to bring it up these days.

As for making it more Heist-based, I'd start by doing some research into things like Oceans 11, Leverage, Prisonbreak and such things. Not just movies but looking up classic conmen as well and coming up with inspiration from there. What you need to make this work is to flesh out the movers and shakers of the Citymechs, see who is control of what and who would gladly spring at the chance to slight their rivals or crush them under their heel. Enter the PCs, who can be pawns or free agents for such entities and roll with it.

Alternatively, look into Shadowrun, as the setting is ripe with Heists of all kinds to be picked up and altered to fit your rules system and setting.

Hmm, Dragonrun would actually be a fairly awesome game, actually...

Them's my 2 coppers. Take as you will and happy gaming! :smallbiggrin: