PDA

View Full Version : Assassins

DraPrime
2010-05-01, 04:03 PM
So, since my school has just started a game of this, and I know that it is a relatively well-known thing, I thought that I would start a thread about this wondrous game. So, is anyone else playing this right now? And are there any tips to be had for a first-timer like me?

Rutskarn
2010-05-01, 04:09 PM
Perhaps you have friends--people you associate with, dine with, people who entice you to leave your room and amuse yourself with sport or entertainment.

Shun them.

Never tell anyone where you're going. Travel via disused roads and pathways. Dine alone at strange hours. If possible, legally change your name.

This is the only way to win.

Kobold-Bard
2010-05-01, 04:15 PM
So, since my school has just started a game of this, and I know that it is a relatively well-known thing, I thought that I would start a thread about this wondrous game. So, is anyone else playing this right now? And are there any tips to be had for a first-timer like me?

Hahaha fool. I'm on to you. I'm coming for you Dragonprime!
(I'm not really. I have no idea who you are and had to Wikipedia the game).
MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAA!!!

Froogleyboy
2010-05-01, 04:17 PM
What is assassin?

DraPrime
2010-05-01, 04:17 PM
Perhaps you have friends--people you associate with, dine with, people who entice you to leave your room and amuse yourself with sport or entertainment.

Shun them.

Never tell anyone where you're going. Travel via disused roads and pathways. Dine alone at strange hours. If possible, legally change your name.

Hmmm...I seem to have most of this down, besides legally changing my name and dining at strange hours. The second one is not necessary, as homes have been declared to be safe zones. I just dine at home at regular hours.

Hahaha fool. I'm on to you. I'm coming for you Dragonprime!
(I'm not really. I have no idea who you are and had to Wikipedia the game).
MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAA!!!

>_>
<_<

*hides*

BRC
2010-05-01, 04:23 PM

Shun them.

Never get into the first cab. Never take the most direct route. Decide where to go and what to eat randomly.

Kobold-Bard
2010-05-01, 04:28 PM
Hmmm...I seem to have most of this down, besides legally changing my name and dining at strange hours. The second one is not necessary, as homes have been declared to be safe zones. I just dine at home at regular hours.

Then make sure you always have at least one decoy when leaving the house or you will be sniped the second you leave safe space.

Dienekes
2010-05-01, 04:50 PM
Make sure your weapon is always on you. This is useful if your assassin gets sloppy and you notice him, or if your target gets sloppy and you see 'em out of the blue.

Stockpile all food. If you possibly can, buy months worth of food to store at your room so you don't have to go out to eat. Since homes are safe zones this means they wont be able to get to your food.

Keep your back to the wall, never sit with your back to the door.

Scout out your target, binoculars are a must. Also a journal of activities so you can recognize patterns. If at all possible, let your target do the work of planning their target's elimination before you get them. Makes life easier for you.

When scouting always make sure, if at all possible, that you cannot be the target of an assassination attempt. How to do this depends on a lot of variables, like positioning, how open you are at any one time and so on. Be careful. Remember, hunting down your target is fun and all, but you only win if you're still alive.

Taking alternate pathways to classes and other locations is good, but remember you always start and end in the same locations. Be extra careful when leaving your home or getting closer to your location.

Avoid movie theaters or other places that are poorly lit and focus your attention away from your surroundings.

Player_Zero
2010-05-01, 04:52 PM

Shun them.

Wow I'm winning and I didn't even know I was playing!

DraPrime
2010-05-01, 05:10 PM
Then make sure you always have at least one decoy when leaving the house or you will be sniped the second you leave safe space.

Oh trust me, I am utterly paranoid about leaving the house, and have taken every precaution. The front door has 9 ambush points around it that I have counted, and another 4 are along the way to my car. I now use a periscope to look out the window to inspect my backyard. When the coast is clear, I sneak out and walk through the woods to my car, which has been parked in another location. It is tedious, but worthwhile.

Kobold-Bard
2010-05-01, 05:12 PM
Oh trust me, I am utterly paranoid about leaving the house, and have taken every precaution. The front door has 9 ambush points around it that I have counted, and another 4 are along the way to my car. I now use a periscope to look out the window to inspect my backyard. When the coast is clear, I sneak out and walk through the woods to my car, which has been parked in another location. It is tedious, but worthwhile.

Glad to hear it. What's your attack plan?

Though if people know you use the site they may be watching you right now. I couldn't do this, the paranoia would drive me crazy.

PersonMan
2010-05-01, 05:21 PM
What is assassin?

Yes. I want to know.

So far it seems to be a long-lasting game where people watch targets and, well, assassinate them. But what are the rules, terms, etc.?

Kobold-Bard
2010-05-01, 05:24 PM
Yes. I want to know.

So far it seems to be a long-lasting game where people watch targets and, well, assassinate them. But what are the rules, terms, etc.?

Wikipedia to the rescue! (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assassin_(game))

waterpenguin43
2010-05-01, 05:25 PM

But if you follow the crowd, you end up.......
http://www.metapedia.com/wiki/images/Chinpokomon.jpg
....Like that. :smalltongue:

Moff Chumley
2010-05-01, 06:15 PM
Huh... that sounds really fun.

druid91
2010-05-01, 06:25 PM
Hmm.. seems like that talent I developed in highschool for deflecting thrown objects with three ring binders could come in handy in a game like this.

Mathis
2010-05-01, 06:56 PM
This sounds like so much fun! Me and my friends have been playing a very toned down version of this for ages without ever hearing about this large scale game. Too bad my college isn't running anything like this, not even the local LARP guys...

Mando Knight
2010-05-01, 06:59 PM
Learn to disguise your appearance, and if you have Facebook or MySpace, alter your display name and change your picture to something completely different. Like a cat or Charizard or something.

Rutskarn
2010-05-01, 06:59 PM
Wow I'm winning and I didn't even know I was playing!

I was this close to including a note in the OP saying, "Zero's been playing for the past twenty years or so, as far as I can tell." This close.

Lioness
2010-05-01, 07:35 PM
This sounds rather fun. I think I should get my school year 12s to play it in muck up week (usually muckup day, but I figure assassins needs a whole week)

Moff Chumley
2010-05-01, 09:56 PM
I was this close to including a note in the OP saying, "Zero's been playing for the past twenty years or so, as far as I can tell." This close.

...at which point he would've denounced that statement, this game, and you, as preposterous. :smalltongue:

Zocelot
2010-05-01, 10:21 PM
I've played in 4 games myself, usually about 20 people big, and I won two of them. I also co-ran a game that used a team system.

In terms of advice, the general rule is to not trust anyone, including people not playing the game, since they can help those who are.

Do not tell anyone the path you take from from school/work, and change it up regularly.

Look behind yourself often, but also look ahead for ambushes.

Do not tell anyone your target, even in return for them telling you yours.

It is more important to survive than to get a kill, so do not take any risks when trying to get one. You can kill your target another time, but you can not unkill yourself.

If you are playing with rules for poison, do not leave any food you eat unnattended or eat any food given to you by somebody else.

Finally, the game rewards dedication. It is nearly impossible to be killed if you are vigilant enough, and it is nearly impossible to escape if your assassin more dedicated than you. That said, if the game becomes too engrossing, it's a good idea to take a break. In my case, the game became very serious for a few of the players, which became less fun for them and also drove off the casual players who felt they didn't have a chance. In the end, do whatever you want to do, if you'll have the most fun that way. Yes, I realize I'm basically saying "The most important rule is to have fun", but despite it's cheesiness it's completely true.

Mando Knight
2010-05-01, 10:26 PM
Yes, I realize I'm basically saying "The most important rule is to have fun", but despite it's cheesiness it's completely true.

The next most important rule is don't play the game if there's a kid who's good at puzzles and whose grandfather owns a game shop in your group.

skywalker
2010-05-01, 10:32 PM
Huh... that sounds really fun.

It is... But also a good way to get arrested/suspended/expelled/actually killed IRL if not careful.

PersonMan
2010-05-01, 10:35 PM
It is... But also a good way to get arrested/suspended/expelled/actually killed IRL if not careful.

I understand the others, but this seems...well, how would/could it happen? I just can't picture it...

Lycan 01
2010-05-01, 11:29 PM
There was a CSI: New York episode where a game of Assassins got a guy killed... :smalltongue:

I'm fairly certain my college has banned Assassins. And if they haven't, I'd rather not risk it, since the security guards can and will bust your for anything. :smalleek:

Kobold-Bard
2010-05-02, 02:34 AM
There was a CSI: New York episode where a game of Assassins got a guy killed... :smalltongue:

I'm fairly certain my college has banned Assassins. And if they haven't, I'd rather not risk it, since the security guards can and will bust your for anything. :smalleek:

Same with NCIS. Shockingy enough people died in that one too :smalltongue:

I might try to get one of these set up. Our security are great if needed, but otherwise they'll let people run past their office fighting with shovels because they have the common sense to know it's a game.

Eldan
2010-05-02, 04:52 AM
Well, obviously, you cut your hair, die it blond and grow a beard! It's a basic security measure.
Oh, and change your address. Go camping for a few weeks, maybe.

druid91
2010-05-02, 07:35 AM
So... does the assassination count if its blocked with a binder?

drakir_nosslin
2010-05-02, 09:11 AM
Wow, I'm so starting one of these at my university! Thanks for the tip :smallsmile:

tcrudisi
2010-05-02, 10:53 AM
I'd give you some tips, but everyone has already said what I would have suggested. I've only played once, and while I didn't die, I didn't win either. I was one of the few players still alive and I had to leave to go back home (I was doing a semester overseas). Darn it.

My home university plays Humans vs. Zombies. I've not had a chance to join in on that one, but it looks to be fun. My friends that have done it all enjoyed it.

Good luck, OP.

BRC
2010-05-02, 10:58 AM
Hide in plain sight, do not reveal yourself.
Do not harm an innocent.
Do not harm the brotherhood, and remember
Nothing is Real.
All is Permitted.

DraPrime
2010-05-02, 10:59 AM
Good advice

Very interesting, and very useful. I do have time limits on when I need to get certain kills, so I think I might have to take some risks to get someone, otherwise I get disqualified. Fortunately, I have a plan for my next target.

I staked out his house yesterday, and identified which car is his. There about 20 feet between his front door, and his car. Some thick bushes are along the way, and near the door to his car. I will hide in these early in the morning (5:00 AM) and wait for him. My other idea is to hide underneath the car. That is not a place that is likely to be suspected.

The Glyphstone
2010-05-02, 11:02 AM
My other idea is to hide underneath the car. That is not a place that is likely to be suspected.

This could go horribly, horribly wrong...

DraPrime
2010-05-02, 11:03 AM
This could go horribly, horribly wrong...

I know, but I have done a similar thing in the past, and I know how to avoid being crushed. :smalltongue:

Rutskarn
2010-05-02, 01:10 PM
Ours was actually won by a confederation of assassins. They communicated with one another, drew each others targets out, and, in the end, shared victory.

skywalker
2010-05-02, 04:57 PM
I understand the others, but this seems...well, how would/could it happen? I just can't picture it...

There's this, for instance:

I staked out his house yesterday, and identified which car is his. There about 20 feet between his front door, and his car. Some thick bushes are along the way, and near the door to his car. I will hide in these early in the morning (5:00 AM) and wait for him. My other idea is to hide underneath the car. That is not a place that is likely to be suspected.

Besides the obvious "getting run over by a car" danger, there's this: If you were to lay in my bushes as tho about to kill someone, and my father were to see you, you would rapidly find yourself at the wrong end of a gun being asked to explain what the hell you're doing on his private property. I know people who will shoot without asking that question. Staying off of private property seems so, so incredibly smart.

I might try to get one of these set up. Our security are great if needed, but otherwise they'll let people run past their office fighting with shovels because they have the common sense to know it's a game.

I'm sorry, but how is it common sense to see two people fighting with shovels and immediately think "it's a game?" I mean, sure, with rubber chickens, but shovels? Those things can kill...

Lioness
2010-05-03, 07:58 AM
A question from the innocent...what happens when you do it around schools/universities? Are classes disrupted as kids turn up late saying "I'm sorry, I was hiding from an assassin."? Can people leave school at the end of the day without fear of being "shot"?

Because I'd love to organise a game, but I don't know how well it will work.

tcrudisi
2010-05-03, 03:48 PM
A question from the innocent...what happens when you do it around schools/universities? Are classes disrupted as kids turn up late saying "I'm sorry, I was hiding from an assassin."? Can people leave school at the end of the day without fear of being "shot"?

Because I'd love to organise a game, but I don't know how well it will work.

You are (typically) safe inside a classroom. As such, it encourages people to arrive early to class. Can they leave school at the end of the day without fear? No. But that's sort of the point of the game. School > game and that's hard-wired into the rules. Skipping classes to protect yourself is a good way to get yourself disqualified. Once the class is over, well, that's when the fun begins. Try to stay alive! Oh, and go find your target, too.

Kobold-Bard
2010-05-03, 03:54 PM
I'm thinking of trying to get one of these set up for freshers week next year (to dodge the urge to skip lectures) using brightly painted wooden spoons as the weapons (to avoid the risk that anyone thinks these are real attacks)/because people hunting on another with neon weapons amuses me.

Aedilred
2010-05-03, 04:28 PM
I can't comment in too much detail without knowing the exact ruleset, but can offer some basic advice. Unfortunately my forte was always in the killing, rather than the staying alive...

If it's your first game you have a huge advantage in that none of the established players know who you are. Ensure that they can't find out. Remove all pictures of yourself from facebook, myspace, whatever, or if you can't bear that, whack up maximum privacy restrictions so that only your friends can see it. Google yourself so that you know what you're dealing with from the wider internet. If you have a distinctive feature, do your best to disguise it. Long hair- tie it up, or wear a hat. Glasses- try wearing contacts.

Go armed everywhere. By the end of my career I was carrying, as standard, two rubber-band guns, a medium-calibre waterpistol and somewhere in the region of thirty throwing knives everywhere I went. There's an obvious, and massive, advantage to being the best-armed player in a random firefight. Make sure you have rapid access to your weapons, too- firefights are often won and lost in a matter of seconds. A gun in a rucksack is probably useless.

Some guilds/societies have rules about exploiting non-players. If you're allowed to do so, make maximum advantage of your non-playing friends. Get them to keep an eye out for shady characters for you, tell you if anyone tries to get access to the house, and (if permitted) send them out of rooms/houses/parties first so that they get shot and not you. If you're a member of any societies, beware of anyone who shows up for the first time looking a bit shady. Beware of existing members. Work out who the non-players are and cleave to them; anyone attacking is less likely to do so if you're accompanied by innocents.

In your first game, forming alliances isn't really feasible (unless you and a group of friends signed up together) but good, trustworthy allies are invaluable. In particular, try to get them to share targetting information, as it may help you work out who's targetting you, or you might be able to make joint attempts on other players. Always remember, though, it isn't a team game (in most variants, at least). Particularly towards the end of a game, keep a close eye on your allies...

There's another reason to go accompanied everywhere, and that's that it helps to prevent dishonesty. It's very easy for people to deny they've been hit, sometimes without even really meaning to. This is a disaster, as you end up being robbed of a kill, and they also get a good look at their assassin. If there's a third party present who can back up your side of the story, you're likely to die a lot less, and confirm a lot more kills.

The offensive side of things is something which I think is part talent and part experience. It's difficult to explain. If you can latch onto a more experienced assassin (a godfather/godmother) and go on hunts with them you might pick up some of what it takes. In general, the trick is to ensure that any fight you get into is as unbalanced as possible. If you're in a fair fight, you're doing it wrong.

The easiest way to kill people is simply to walk up to their door and try the handle. If they're a new player, it might well not even be locked. Even if it is, they might come out looking for a fight, at which point you ambush them. Knocking and waiting is generally not worth it; you'll get a few, but more often than not you'll find yourself the victim of a messy counterattack. By far the best way to kill people is simply to work out where they're likely to be and wait for them somewhere you're unlikely to be observed. This is easier than it sounds, if, say, most people at a hall/college have breakfast or dinner at certain times, or you can find out their subject (some universities will have this information publicly available) and so can get access to their lecture timetable. If you can get a photo, so much the better.

The converse of this is the basis of your defence strategy. Work out how you would go about attacking yourself, and do your best to nullify those tactics. Vary your route to and from your regular appointments, and try to mix up the timings if at all possible, so that no-one can pin down your schedule. Lock your door. Always, always, always.

In general, if you're looking to stay alive, make as few attempts as you can get away with, as it's while you're hunting that you're most vulnerable- you're in an unfamiliar environment, probably acting suspiciously, a long way from security, and you likely don't have your full arsenal with you. If you can kill your targets without ever coming into contact with them (bombs, poison letters), so much the better, although many societies disallow this completely.*

Try to stay within the rules. Many societies have a sort of "two-tier" rule system; the less important rule-breaches which result in a different gameplay experience (typically having open season declared on you) and the major rule-breaches which will result in explusion and possible blacklisting. Learn the difference. In particular, do your utmost to avoid getting entangled with the authorities, be it those of the university or the police. If either of those get involved, it will likely have consequences for the whole society, not just for you.

Finally, try not to get *too* paranoid, and do your best never to take it too seriously. It's just a game, after all.

*I should probably note that, as a player, I followed precisely none of the advice in this paragraph, which is one of the reasons I died so many times.

rayne_dragon
2010-05-03, 10:10 PM
I want to play this now too! Especially since some of my regular activities would make excellent traps for anyone trying to assassinate me.