PDA

View Full Version : Game suggestions - let's get that inner Paladin on!

Freylorn
2010-05-01, 07:54 PM
Lately I've been having a craving to play a paladin. Not sure why, always liked the knight templar archetype, and I'd like a game that'll cater to it. Previously played dives into this include Oblivion and Dragon Age.

But I've played out Oblivion, beaten Dragon Age and all of the stand-alone Other Campaigns on the Nexus that come with it, and am now drawing a bit of a blank.

So I turn to you guys! What games have you got in mind for me? Diablo II was one of my favorite games for a long time, and NWN was one of the ones I stuck with for years. The ability to actually roleplay is a definite bonus (NWN, Dragon Age) but not a complete necessity. Paladin-esque skills and the ability to run around fantasy-land, sword-and-boarding evil into it's place, on the other hand, most definitely IS a necessity.

It is worth noting that I'm more than willing to try out just about any MMOs you're willing to toss my way in these suggestions. However, at least a free demo is required, and the less head-banging grind involved, the better. I don't mind taking awhile to level up, but I do mind doing the same one or two areas countless mind-numbing times in order to do so.

So let's hear your ideas, guys! I'm sure you've got some obscure titles up your sleeves!

Mando Knight
2010-05-01, 07:57 PM
How about NWN 2? Played that yet? The OC comes with its own romanceable Paladin NPC buddy...

Domochevsky
2010-05-01, 08:07 PM
Hm, maybe try older games? Like...

Knights Of the Temple 2 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knights_of_the_Temple_2) (PC)? (DRM sucks horribly, but it could be your cup of crusading tea.)

Die By The Sword (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Die_by_the_sword) (PC)? Even older but very good combat system. (Also pretty damn brutal.)

Freylorn
2010-05-01, 08:17 PM
Actually, Mando, I never tried NWN2. Maybe I should try to find a copy!

As for your suggestions, Domochevsky, both of those look VERY interesting (Die By The Sword especially) but the main issue I'd run into is actually finding a copy. Anything available on Steam/Playstation Store/Etc. is fine, or something that could be found in-stock at most shops, but those look like they'd be tough to find. Know of any digital distributors that would have them available?

Mando Knight
2010-05-01, 08:26 PM
Actually, Mando, I never tried NWN2. Maybe I should try to find a copy!

Remember, if you play as a girl, you can romance the Paladin they give you. He's nothing special, due to 3.5 hating single-class Paladins, but has decent point buy and makes a useful pack mule if you skimp on Strength yourself.

Domochevsky
2010-05-01, 08:29 PM
Hm, a quick search says that GoG (http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/die_by_the_sword_expansion) seems to sell DbtS, plus the (mediocre) expansion for some spare change. :smallsmile:

Not so sure about KotT2. Maybe Amazon? (I got my copy a while back from the Leftovers Pyramid of the local game store.)

Freylorn
2010-05-01, 08:30 PM
Mando - Don't let the "Pixie in the Playground" title fool you - I'm a straight male. That was just what my title defaulted to, and I'm not sure how to change it.

That being said, playing a female character and romancing the male paladin is all well and fine... but it's not ME making/playing a paladin, and for the smitey goodness I'm craving right now, it just won't suffice. Nothing stopping me from making a paladin myself, of course... but like you said, 3.5 DID hate paladins something fierce.

Could always roll a melee-ing cleric and call it a paladin though. With spells like that, who's gonna ask questions? Nobody, that's who. :smallbiggrin:

Domochevsky - Thanks for the link. Never bought anything off GoG before, but I may have to give this one a try! Not this evening, but it's one to keep in mind, definitely.

chiasaur11
2010-05-01, 08:38 PM
Mando - Don't let the "Pixie in the Playground" title fool you - I'm a straight male. That was just what my title defaulted to, and I'm not sure how to change it.

Changes with time. Just ignore it.

Fri
2010-05-01, 08:42 PM
I'm currently replaying temple of elemental evil with SCYTHE WIELDING PALADIN.

god, he's awesome.

Triaxx
2010-05-02, 06:11 AM
No love for the classic stick paladins of Baldur's Gate, and Icewind Dale?

Temple of Elemental Evil, with a full team of Halfling Paladins. Not as easy as Druids, but fun none the less.

Ogremindes
2010-05-02, 06:17 AM
You could play any of the Avernum games as a solo warrior-priest hybrid with the Divinely Touched trait. Not the easiest way to play, and the lack of unlocking could be a pain (I don't believe it will stop you winning, though), but you'll out-level everything you encounter before too long.

Driderman
2010-05-02, 07:46 AM
Dungeons & Dragons online is free and lets you play a Paladin.
Alternately, NWN1 or 2 are good games. You can also play them online if thats your thing, where you can REALLY roleplay with other real people

Iruka
2010-05-03, 06:47 AM
No love for the classic stick paladins of Baldur's Gate, and Icewind Dale?

I was going to recommend those, too. I had a Paladin in most of my parties when playing those and it was always fun.

Cespenar
2010-05-03, 09:57 AM
Especially in BG2 the Paladins have a tendency to rock out pretty loud. Doubly true with the Inquisitor kit. Game is a tad old, but it's arguably one of the best CRPGs in gaming history, so it's definitely worth a try if you already haven't.

Triaxx
2010-05-03, 07:57 PM
Especially once they were wielding the Holy Avenger. :smallbiggrin:

Shas aia Toriia
2010-05-03, 08:50 PM
If you like Oblvion, try going through Morrowind. Unless you already have, but I didn't see that anywhere.

Airk
2010-05-04, 09:36 AM
If you have the original Dungeon Siege (yeah yeah, old) you can play Ultima V: Lazarus (http://www.u5lazarus.com/) which is a remake of the generally splendid Ultima 5. Paladinness is definitely possible here. ;)