PDA

View Full Version : First Eberron campaign

Kyos
2010-05-01, 08:20 PM
I'm a long time player, first time DM (first time poster, too, but that's another story), and I'm starting up a new campaign using the 4e rules and Eberron setting. Any tips to help me in my first campaign? Keeping it short and sweet, I suppose, I'll be off.

FoE
2010-05-01, 09:29 PM
Are you looking for tips on running 4E? Or Eberron?

realbombchu
2010-05-02, 08:56 AM
Read the adventure, read the adventure, and then read it again. You're going to make mistakes, but being familiar with what happens next will help prevent some of that from happening. Choose your treasure parcels ahead of time, be familiar with your player's characters, and if you really want to be awesome, have a few side treks ready for when they go off the beaten path. Are you using printed adventures? If you are, then read those, too, so you don't prevent a plot twist without knowing it. Break a leg (good luck, I mean).

Amphetryon
2010-05-02, 09:08 AM
Be prepared for the party to go off-course. No storyline survives contact with actual players. The 'best' way to contain this is to have at least a few notes on possible side quests jotted down for any NPC you introduce. In my campaigns, I have a 'generic NPC name' that I use to indicate to the players that an NPC they are dealing with is just a prop rather than an adventure hook. This minimizes the time the PCs spend trying to find out the secrets of the shopkeep that were honestly only inserted so the PCs could trade their phat lewt for some Gee Pee's.

Hopeless
2010-05-02, 02:54 PM
Take a note if any of your players provide a background, then add something to interest them during the adventure say for example they're members of a dragonmarked house but not got a mark and simply note that they notice markings that resemble a dragonmark and when they return to check reveal it has changed.
Give them a taste of the dragon prophecy so that later on they discover how remarkable that first find was.

Of course that depends on them actually thinking up a background, my experience tends towards me being the only one to do that, the dm however never ever bothered to even read, even when he aged the character 60 years which was why a year and a half later he declared the character didn't have his mental ability scores increase according to the reduction to his physical scores due to that aging after I asked if I gained a bonus language choice because of it...

So just in case then.