PDA

View Full Version : The modified hexblade (D&D v.3.5, Complete Warrior mostly) PEACH

realbombchu
2010-05-01, 09:01 PM
There's more to come, but I wanted to post the table first, to make sure it worked. I'll also be posting the relevant text for the class where I made changes, including at least two new hexblade spells (not new spells, just two I added to the hexblade's list.).

Most of the changes I'm going to make to the hexblade are not my own. They were suggestions made by Mike Mearls. There are two big changes of my own that I want to add. I want to change the caster level so it equals the hexblade's class level minus three, and I want more of the familiar spells to appear on the hexblade's spell list.

Anyway, I'll write more later, but you're welcome to leave comments in the meantime. Thanks!

The Hexblade
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+1|
+2|
+0|
+2|Hexblade's curse 1 + Cha modifier/day

2nd|
+2|
+3|
+0|
+3|Arcane resistance

3rd|
+3|
+3|
+1|
+3|Mettle

4th|
+4|
+4|
+1|
+4|Summon familiar

5th|
+5|
+4|
+1|
+4|Bonus feat, hexblade's curse 2 + Cha modifier/day

6th|
+6/+1|
+5|
+2|
+5|Quick cast 1/day

7th|
+7/+2|
+5|
+2|
+5|Greater hexblade's curse

8th|
+8/+3|
+6|
+2|
+6|Quick cast 2/day

9th|
+9/+4|
+6|
+3|
+6|Hexblade's curse 3 + Cha modifier/day

10th|
+10/+5|
+7|
+3|
+7|Bonus feat

11th|
+11/+6/+1|
+7|
+3|
+7|Quick cast 3/day

12th|
+12/+7/+2|
+8|
+4|
+8|Aura of unluck 1/day

13th|
+13/+8/+3|
+8|
+4|
+8|Hexblade's curse 4 + Cha modifier/day

14th|
+14/+9/+4|
+9|
+4|
+9|Quick cast 4/day

15th|
+15/+10/+5|
+9|
+5|
+9|Bonus feat

16th|
+16/+11/+6/+1|
+10|
+5|
+10|Aura of unluck 2/day

17th|
+17/+12/+7/+2|
+10|
+5|
+10|Hexblade's curse 5 + Cha modifier/day

18th|
+18/+13/+8/+3|
+11|
+6|
+11|Quick cast 5/day

19th|
+19/+14/+9/+4|
+11|
+6|
+11|Dire hexblade's curse

20th|
+20/+15/+10/+5|
+12|
+6|
+12|Aura of unluck 3/day, bonus feat[/table]

realbombchu
2010-05-02, 08:43 AM
This should be the rest of it. If any of you have any questions, don't be afraid to ask. I would like your feedback, but please be kind. I only made two of the changes, like I said before, but I think they are good changes. Thanks for taking the time to read. If I didn't write about something, it is exactly as printed in the relevant source, usually Complete Warrior.

Alignment: Any nongood.
Hit Die: d10.

Weapon and Armor Proficiencies: A hexblade is proficient with all simple and martial weapons, light armor, medium armor, and shields (except tower shields). Because the somatic components required for hexblade spells are simple, a hexblade can cast hexblade spells while wearing light or medium armor and while carrying a buckler or light shield without incurring the normal arcane spell failure chance. However, like any arcane spellcaster, a hexblade wearing heavy armor or carrying a heavy shield incurs a chance of arcane spell failure if the spell in question has a somatic component (and most do). A multiclass hexblade still incurs the normal arcane spell failure chance for arcane spells derived from other classes.

Hexblade's Curse (Su): Once per day plus one additional time for each point of Charisma bonus, as a swift action, a hexblade can unleash a curse upon a foe. The target must be visible to the hexblade and within 60 feet. The target of a hexblade's curse takes a –2 penalty on attacks, saves, ability checks, skill checks, and weapon damage rolls for 1 hour thereafter. A successful Will save (DC 10 + 1/2 hexblade's class level + hexblade's Cha modifier) negates the effect. The use of the hexblade's curse is not wasted if the target makes its saving throw.
At every four levels beyond 1st (5th, 9th, 13th, and 17th) a hexblade gains the ability to use his curse one additional time per day, as indicated on the table. Multiple hexblade's curses don't stack, and any foe that successfully resists the effect cannot be affected again by the same hexblade's curse for 24 hours.
Any effect that removes or dispels curses eliminates the effect of a hexblade's curse.

Spells: Through 3rd level, a hexblade has no caster level. At 4th level and higher, his caster level is equal to his class level minus three.

Quick Cast: At 6th level, the hexblade can cast one hexblade spell per day as a swift action, as long as its original casting time is a standard action or faster. He gains an additional use of this power at 8th level, 11th level, 14th level, and 18th level.

Enhance Familiar
Universal
Level: Hexblade 2, sorcerer/wizard 3
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Touch
Target: Familiar touched
Duration: 1 hour/level
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: Yes (harmless)

You infuse your familiar with vigor, granting it a +2 competence bonus on saves, attack rolls, and melee damage rolls, as well as a +2 dodge bonus to Armor Class.

Fortify Familiar
Universal
Level: Hexblade 2, sorcerer/wizard 4
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Touch
Target: Familiar touched
Duration: 1 hour/level
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: Yes (harmless)

This spell makes your familiar tougher, granting it 2d8 temporary hit points and a +2 enhancement bonus to its natural armor. It also has a 25% chance to avoid extra damage from sneak attacks or critical hits (though such attacks still deal normal damage if successful). Temporary hit points gained in this fashion last for up to 1 hour.

Saveducks
2010-05-02, 03:17 PM
I'll wait to make final judgement until it is complete but the curse should still be expended if they resist it.

Pechvarry
2010-05-02, 11:04 PM
Actually, I believe the "don't expend on failure" was a suggestion by the original author. I don't have the original source, just this 3rd-hand cut/paste:

The hexblade suffers a little because he came on the scene relatively early in 3.5's life.
As R&D pushes the boundaries of the game, we learn that some things we thought were risky
or potentially broken aren't. Other times, we learn things that look fine don't actually
work in play.

Armored mages fall into the first category. Them seem really powerful, but in the long run they aren't. Spells and magic items allow an unarmored mage to build great defenses. The spell mage armor is as good as medium armor, and its duration allows most mages to keep it active at all times. If you compare the hexblade to the duskblade from PH 2, you can see how the thinking has changed.

If you want to boost the hexblade, I'd try the following changes:

Good Fortitude save
Curse ability usable 1 + the hexblade's Cha modifier per day
Curse ability usable as a swift action
Curse ability does not count as used if the target makes his saving throw
Ability to cast in light or medium armor and while carrying a light shield or buckler
At 6th level, the hexblade can cast one hexblade spell per day as a swift action, as long as its original casting time is a standard action or faster. He gains an additional use of this power at levels 8, 11, 14, and 18.
The key to the hexblade is his curse ability, but it's a little un-fun to have it so limited in use. The hexblade also has trouble casting spells and using his melee attacks, so shifting spells to swift actions fits in with the idea of an armored mage.

--

I'd suggest normalizing the rate of auto-quickens. I don't think every even level is overpowered (6th, 8th, 10th, etc). It's just Hexblade casting, afterall... Would end up at 8/day by 20th level instead of 5/day. I'd also like to see aura of unluck come into play earlier (and likely end up with 1-2 more uses).

But none of that has to do with increased CL and familiar-use! I think the level-3 CL is actually more needed for hexblades than paladins/rangers as their spells seem more likely to run into SR than those Divine boys'. As for spells added: you could probably add any sor/wiz 1-4 spell to hexblade list and never get an eyebrow raised.

Glimbur
2010-05-03, 10:25 AM
As for spells added: you could probably add any sor/wiz 1-4 spell to hexblade list and never get an eyebrow raised.

Some of the spells from spell compendium are really good. Wraithstrike and/or Find the Gap would make melee much nicer for relatively short amounts of time. Since hexblade is supposed to be a gish in a box, that's not necessarily bad, but it would be significant.

realbombchu
2010-05-05, 07:46 PM
Sorry, I got distracted by another project there. Yes, most of the changes were written by the original author. The only changes I made were the increased CL and the added familiar spells.

Still, I think it needs work. I'll consider more Quick Casts. Thanks for the input!

Pechvarry
2010-05-05, 10:44 PM
Could just allow Hexblade players to take Battle Blessing (CC - cast paladin spells as swift action).

Temotei
2010-05-05, 10:46 PM
Here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=146389&highlight=Hexblade+Handbook). This could help. :smallsmile:

Jarrick
2010-05-05, 11:36 PM
This fix is really going to help one of my current party members, and makes the hexblade attractive in my own eyes as well. Thanks for posting this! :smallbiggrin:

realbombchu
2010-05-06, 12:58 PM
You're welcome. I'm really glad you like it. :)