PDA

View Full Version : Ways to Cool Down

Cobalt
2010-05-01, 09:46 PM
Cuz Spring is hot. And I don't like it.

Post ways you keep cool in the heat here, be it something weird, normal, or something in between that can only be classified as "other."

Me? Head in the fridge.

The Dark Fiddler
2010-05-01, 10:02 PM
Take ice. Put it in your mouth.

And it also cures thirst!

Mystic Muse
2010-05-01, 10:05 PM
open the window.
a fan

whoa, where'd my Avatar go?:smallconfused:

EDIT: never mind I guess.

_Zoot_
2010-05-01, 10:11 PM
Go swimming. Otherwise, water, lots of it.

Mauve Shirt
2010-05-01, 10:14 PM
Frozen fruit is the best snack ever.

PersonMan
2010-05-01, 10:18 PM
I put a glass of water in the freezer for an hour or so, and then eat the ice/drink the wonderful refreshing cold water.

It takes awhile to set up, though. I do it when I don't have access to icecubes.

Erloas
2010-05-01, 10:23 PM
For me, cooling down is easy, just go outside. We had a bit of blowing snow this afternoon. The last two weeks have been fairly cold after having been in the high 60s before that. We'll have a few more nights below freezing before the end of May.

However when I lived in Phoenix one thing I found that worked well is to take a towel, get it damp and stick it in the freezer. It doesn't take too long to cool down and as long as its just damp it won't freeze hard, then you just take it out and wrap it around your shoulders. Cools you down fairly well and it doesn't take a lot of time or effort.

Frojoe21
2010-05-01, 10:30 PM
I prefer the "Sam Raimi" myself. (http://loadingreadyrun.com/videos/view/215/Ways-to-Keep-Cool) :smallbiggrin:

Icewalker
2010-05-01, 10:31 PM
Loading Ready Run's sketch, Ways to Keep Cool (http://loadingreadyrun.com/videos/view/215/Ways-to-Keep-Cool)

Frojoe21
2010-05-01, 10:35 PM
Loading Ready Run's sketch, Ways to Keep Cool (http://loadingreadyrun.com/videos/view/215/Ways-to-Keep-Cool)

HA! Beat you by a minute!

Still, good to see that I'm not the only one who's mind immediately went there.

golentan
2010-05-01, 10:52 PM
If you live in a high water area: Shuck naked and stand under a waterfall/sprinkler.

If not in a high water area, shuck naked and get yourself some shade/cool bath (leave it sitting, and you can reuse it for cooling for a long time so long as you're not filling it with soap).

In general, trees and their immediate environments are cooler than other shade. If shading, use a tree, or large bush.

If you live near a beach or sandy desert, the sand below the surface is significantly cooler than the top layers. Dig yourself a small pit, keeping your head above ground but covered by a cloth, and lie down in it. (On a related note: THIS IS HOW YOU TRAVEL IN DESERTS!!! If you ever find yourself stranded in hot, dry environments, do not go on that iconic movie trek under the blazing sun: YOU WILL DEHYDRATE AND DIE IN HOURS. Rather, immediately dig yourself a pit to shelter the day, sleep through the afternoon, and trek at night, stopping in the morning to collect any available dew and ready yourself a new pit. Your water supplies (both internal and external) will last you far longer).

The employment of mint actually has the same effect on nerves as cold (hence "Icy fresh breath"). A little mint oil, while not actually cooling you, will sooth the feelings of heat when rubbed into the skin.

druid91
2010-05-02, 12:23 AM
Set someone else on fire? It won't really cool you down but you will (probably) appreciate the fact that you aren't on fire so much that being a little warm won't bother you.I am not responsible for any deaths if you take this seriously, also if you take this seriously you forfeit your soul to me.

Thajocoth
2010-05-02, 12:40 AM
Air conditioning. It's really the only reasonable thing that ever works for me.

Central air conditioning = Even better.

Hanging out in an industrial freezer (for meat or ice cream or something...) -> I'm really not sure how you hook up a computer without compromising the freezer, but if you can figure it out, you certainly won't be too hot.

Climb Mt Everest. I've heard it's pretty cold up there.

Streaking through the Arctic or Antarctic, depending on which is closer.

Plane Shift to the plane of elemental ice. No one in this realm has figured out Plane Shift (or any other magic) yet, and likely never will, but if you succeed, it'll give you a nice vacation spot to cool off.

Fly into space -> The lack of an atmosphere keeps heat from building up around you. You should practice holding your breath for a very long period of time and not dying from having all your heat sucked out before even attempting this. If you can make your stop in space brief enough, it can be used as a quick-chill pick-me-up.

-----

The entire reason I'm awake right now is that the temperature exceeded 75 degrees while I was asleep, less than 2 hours into my sleep. I can't sleep again until I'm sufficiently cooled off. We've finally turned on the central air, just now, so I don't need to leave my window open while blasting a fan in front of the window at my bed, hoping the wind won't keep me awake like last night... (The wind did keep me awake. I got less than 2 hours sleep last night broken up into chunks less than 45 min each.) So tired... Too hot to do anything about it.

thubby
2010-05-02, 12:46 AM
move your operation to the basement.

depending on the state of your basement this could be a whole project unto itself, but the difference is enormous.

Fly into space -> The lack of an atmosphere keeps heat from building up around you. You should practice holding your breath for a very long period of time and not dying from having all your heat sucked out before even attempting this. If you can make your stop in space brief enough, it can be used as a quick-chill pick-me-up.

you don't actually get very cold in space. there's nowhere for the heat you've built up to go thanks to a distinct lack of matter.

Dallas-Dakota
2010-05-02, 04:03 AM
Got milk?:smallamused:

Archonic Energy
2010-05-02, 04:42 AM
you'll need 10 CO2 extinguishers.
3 Litres of liquid Nydrogen
5 Kg of "Dry Ice"
6 high power Data Centre cooling RACUs
and a small windowless room...

kpenguin
2010-05-02, 04:45 AM
you don't actually get very cold in space. there's nowhere for the heat you've built up to go thanks to a distinct lack of matter.

You still radiate heat, however.

Kobold-Bard
2010-05-02, 04:50 AM
Drink very hot tea/coffee. Heats you up so it forces your body to cool itself down.

Though it was my mother who told me this so i is about 73% likely to be untrue. But she said it with such conviction that I've believed it ever since.

Graymayre
2010-05-02, 06:07 AM
I have a fan

he's always waving something at me to keep me cool

Bonecrusher Doc
2010-05-02, 06:43 AM
Frozen strawberries
Bananas
Orange Juice
Ice

Blend and enjoy as much of it as you can without getting an "ice cream headache." This worked for me when I was in San Antonio during the summer trying to save money on air conditioning. Made up about 1/3 of my diet for a few days of a heat wave there. Delicious and nutritious too!

Castaras
2010-05-02, 06:45 AM

That is awesome.

2010-05-02, 07:24 AM
cold showers always work
anything involving a freshly-melted-snow river
frozen green tea
avoiding the light

Amiel
2010-05-02, 09:23 AM
Camp in a 7-Eleven, buy as many slurpees as you are able; begin the process of brain freezes. Sigh in contentment and/or pain.

Refrigerate a lot of water. Drink lots of ice water; this is most important, it'd keep you hydrated, refreshed and cool.
Go to the beach. Though remember to slip, slop, slap; slip on a shirt, slop on sunscreen, slap on a hat.
Go to a water park and/or the local swimming pool; thankfully and also unfortunately, I have an inground swimming pool at the back of the house.
Engage in a water and/or water balloon fight with friends; if your area does have water restrictions in place, I wouldn't do that, otherwise go nuts.

Helanna
2010-05-02, 03:43 PM
I'm still too excited that it's actually hot up here to try hiding from the heat so far. I hate heat, but I'm still surprised that it's spring - I'm suspicious that the weather is planning on suddenly slipping back into snowstorms and ice. It wouldn't be the first time . . .

I live in the basement for most of the summer, myself. Heat slows me down too much to actually function, so it's one of the only ways I can stay awake during the day. It helps that my bedroom is down there, of course, but the difference is amazing - it's so very cool and dry down there.

I also like to freeze glasses of lemonade. Delicious, cold, and sweet, but not as bad for you as ice cream!

And if you just need a really quick cool-down, taking icepacks (or ice cubes, or bags of frozen vegetables, or whatever) and laying them in the crook of your arm generally helps to cool you down pretty quickly.

Player_Zero
2010-05-02, 03:58 PM
Cuz Spring is hot. And I don't like it.

Me? Head in the fridge.

...What do you do during Summer exactly?

Deth Muncher
2010-05-02, 04:00 PM

Full body fridging, obviously.

Player_Zero
2010-05-02, 04:02 PM
Full body fridging, obviously.

You mean air conditioning?

The Dark Fiddler
2010-05-02, 04:06 PM
Frozen fruit is the best snack ever.

This person is very much correct.

I especially like raspberries. :smallsmile:

Mauve Shirt
2010-05-02, 04:32 PM
This person is very much correct.

I especially like raspberries. :smallsmile:

Raspberries, blueberries or mango. Strawberries tend to be a little too sour for me.

Dragon queen
2010-05-02, 04:48 PM
Dive headfirst into the first pool you see. If its yours all well and good if its not...you better get out right away or lets say the owner will want to have a word with you.:smalleek:

Cobalt
2010-05-02, 06:43 PM

Cryogenic freezing. I then wake up during Fall/Winter and proceed to complain about the cold.

thubby
2010-05-02, 09:43 PM
You still radiate heat, however.

trivial amounts compared to normal.

Amiel
2010-05-02, 11:48 PM
Melbourne is weird, it's meant to be the middle of autumn (another month to winter) and it starts to warm up again; it really needs to make up its mind.

I would actually advise against taking a cold shower, especially if the day is really hot; while the water itself might indeed be lovely and cool, once you step out, the temperature differential will begin its magic. You'll find that you tend to immediately start to feel the heat again.
I would actually suggest that you shower with warm or even hot water, that way, as you sweat and the water evaporates, you cool down.

Project_Mayhem
2010-05-03, 12:16 AM
Move to England. We get a consistent mild all year

Amiel
2010-05-03, 12:38 AM
But you also have a lot of rain...

Project_Mayhem
2010-05-03, 12:39 AM
Not really - we just happen to complain about it a lot, because it's the closest to bad weather we get.:smallbiggrin:

Cleverdan22
2010-05-03, 01:10 AM
Hide in my room, away from the sun, and blast the AC. With the lights off.

No, really though, the way I usually beat the heat is swimming. I'm down at my pool for most of every week during the summer.

BizzaroStormy
2010-05-03, 01:47 AM
Due to my lack of AC, i use a combination of a wet shirt and a desk fan.

1. Soak shirt, wring.
2. Wear shirt.
3. Sit in path of desk fan.

Lioness
2010-05-03, 08:07 AM
As an Australian:

Run around naked
In an air-conditioned room
With a helpful friend spraying water at you from a spray bottle.

...ok, so maybe not running. But the cold water + moving air thing works so well. Also, cold drinks, cold showers, and wet towels work

Cobalt
2010-05-03, 04:16 PM
Run around naked...

...ok, so maybe not running.

But naked is totally fine here.

Also, love the spacing.

Thajocoth
2010-05-03, 04:25 PM
Run around naked

That can be a bit dangerous. If you're running and invisible, then how are people going to avoid accidents with you?

Cealocanth
2010-05-04, 10:44 PM
Where I live, spring is not hot at all. We either have blistering winds, nasty thunderstorms, and sunshine, or a combonation of one or two of them.
Colorado's a cool (er "cruel") mistress.
As for keeping cool, invite some friends over, fill up a whole bunch of water baloons, squirt guns, and buckets. Have an all out water war including dumping tar, grenades, machine guns, and cannons (hose.)

Rowsen
2010-05-05, 05:30 AM
Frozen grapes are awesome and delicious.

If you don't mind getting water everywhere you could soak some clothes and put them in the fridge/freezer for a bit then wear them. Or the same thing but with towels instead of clothes. Got me through last summer. Cursed Australian weather...

Kobold-Bard
2010-05-05, 05:33 AM
Frozen grapes are awesome and delicious.

If you don't mind getting water everywhere you could soak some clothes and put them in the fridge/freezer for a bit then wear them. Or the same thing but with towels instead of clothes. Got me through last summer. Cursed Australian weather...

I have been told that the clothes thing destroys your immune system. That was in a thing about Swine Flu though, so it may have been a myth.

Duniagdra
2010-05-05, 07:18 AM
I freeze fruit, grapes preferred.

Regarding cold and the immune system, that's partly true. It's why people say, "you'll catch a cold" if you go out wet or otherwise exposed to the cold. The lower your body temp, the less your body's immune system functions.

Dr.Epic
2010-05-05, 09:42 AM
Make yourself invisible. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0025.html)

Amiel
2010-05-05, 10:00 AM
If you are so inclined, bungie-jumping is another "method"; I imagine the nice, cool breeze should help, well, cool you down. Also, you're probably make new friends, so that's always a plus.

If your fridge is up to it, camp in the fridge; and obviously by that I mean, tape tarp or like material or like object to the open door of your refrigerator. You'll thank me later; the environment won't.