PDA

View Full Version : A Dark and Stormy Knight-Revised

theos911
2010-05-02, 07:42 AM
Very Early on I ran my party through a dark and stormy knight. Several adventures later the palidan wanted to return and insure no evil had again taken refuge in the tower. here is my revised version of the dark and stormy knight designed for 5-6th. pcs.

These are the changes I made. Mainly only change is the monster strength and a few other things.

2-As normal, but left and right doors are only closed not locked. No rat race.
4-undead bugbear is chained to table, chain dc 30. Cleric releases chains when door is opened to hallway
5-same, but see mod'd spidey
6- Chest is closed contains nothing, on open or attack closes and locks door. If not already discovered, ghouls attack. 3 ghouls
7- 4 Goblin undead see goblin undeads- In small pouch on wall Socks of strength +1 no dc to find
8-bugbear cleric resides here

ok first of all outside are 2 of the standard bugbears presented in the mm, feel free to alter these, basically they are a warmup.

Now for my advanced up beasties

First of is beastified ghouls

Ghoul CR 2.5?
Always Chaotic Evil Medium Undead
Init +2
AC 16 FF 13 Touch 13
(+3 Dex, +3 natural)
HD: 6
HP: 42 (6d12+0+2)
Fort +2 Ref +7 Will +7
Speed 30ft
Base Atk +4 Grp +4
Attack: Bite +5 1d6+1
Full Attack: Bite +5 1d6+1, 2 Claws 0 1d3+1
Space 5 ft. (1 squares) Reach 5 ft. (1 squares)
Abilities Str 13(+1) Dex 16(+3) Con -- Int 13(+1) Wis 14(+2) Cha 12(+1)

Feats-Toughness, Lightning Reflexes

Skills-Balance-7, Bluff-5, Listen-6.5, Spot-13

Turning resistance +2
Plus all of the normal ghoul special abilities, note I didnt put much effort into their skills and they probably aren't going to use them. Yes they are entitled to 3 feats and only have 2 i gave them turning resistance in place of a feat.

Now for my undead goblins

Goblin CR 2?
Usually Neutral Evil Small Humanoid Ref (Goblinoid)
Init +1
AC 14 FF 12 Touch 13
(+1 size, +2 Dex, Nat +1)
HD: 4
HP: 31 (4d12+4+3)
Fort +2 Ref +5 Will +0
Speed 30ft
Base Atk +3 Grp -1
Attack: Morningstar +4 1d6+2
Full Attack: Morningstar +4 1d6+0
Str 15(+2) Dex 14(+2) Con 0 Int 10(+0) Wis 9(-1) Cha 7(-2)

Feats- Toughness, Alertness

Skills- Listen-9 Spot-9
Plus all undead immunities and such, again not much effort into skills

Ok spidey time

Monstrous Spider, Medium CR 2?
Always Neutral Medium Vermin
Init +3
AC 15 FF 11 Touch 14
(+4 Dex, +1 natural)
HP: 33 (6d8+6)
Fort +6 Ref +8 Will +2
Speed 30 ft. (6 squares), climb 20 ft.
Base Atk +4 Grp +4
Attack: Bite +7 1d6+4
Full Attack: Bite +7 1d6+0
Abilities Str 11(+0) Dex 18(+4) Con 12(+1) Int -- Wis 10(+0) Cha 2(-4)
Feats: Weapon Finesse, Alertness, Athletic, Lightning Reflex
Skills-Climb +14, Hide + 16, Spot +9, Listen +2 , Swim +2

Actually did give it relevant skills

Now for the undead bugbear that is chained to the table, he has 7hd and one lvl of warrior.

Undead Bugbear CR 7
Usually Chaotic Evil Medium Humanoid Ref (Goblinoid)
Init +2
AC 17 FF 15 Touch 12
(+2 Dex, +5 natural)
HD: 8
HP: 59 (8d12+21, +3)
Fort +6 Ref +6 Will +0
Speed 30ft
Base Atk +5 Grp +9
Attack: Morningstar +9 1d8+5
Full Attack: Morningstar +9 1d8+5 19-20 crit

Abilities Str 21(+5) Dex 15(+2) Con - Int 12(+1) Wis 8(-1) Cha 8(-1)

Feats-Toughness, Improved Critical, Quick Draw

Skills- Climb +9, handle Animal +4, Intimidate +4, Jump +9, Swim +9
Plus undead immunites and such as well as bugbear darkvision and scent. He is a beast IMO.

Lastly, the cleric who resides in the back room, and unchains the bugbear as she passes.

Bugbear, Cleric 3 of Hruggek CR 5 Common, Goblin, Abyssal
Init +0
AC 13 FF 13 Touch 10
(+3 natural)
HP: 41 (3d8+6, 3d8+6)
Fort +6 Ref +4 Will +6
Speed 30ft
Base Atk +4 Grp +7
Attack: Morningstar +8 1d8+3
Attack: Short bow +4 1d6+0
Full Attack: Morningstar +8 1d8+3
Full Attack: Short bow +4 1d6+0
Abilities Str 16(+3) Dex 10(+0) Con 15(+2) Int 10(+0) Wis 15(+2) Cha 12(+1)
Total Feats: 3 Weapon Focus(Morningstar) as War Domain,Improved Turning +1 Turner Lvl, Power Attack, Alertness +2 Listen, Spot

Skill Points: 18
Skills: Climb +2. Hide +4, Listen +3(+5), Move Silently +6, Spot +3(+5)

Spells per day: 4 (lvl0), 3 (lvl1)Bonus1, 2(lvl2)Bonus1

Prepared Spells:(0)-Guidance(2), Light(1), Mending(1)
(1)-Summon Monster I(1), Obscuring Mist(1), Protection from good(1)
(2)-Desecrate(1), Sound Burst(1)

Evil Domain- +1 on Evil spells and Protection from good
War Domain- Proficent with Morningstar and Weapon Focus(Morningstar),Spiritual Weapon.

Domains- Evil, War

plus bugbeary stuff

I haven't yet really made treasure for the campaign nor have I given the monsters equipment aside from weapons. I kinda need some help with assigning Challenge ratings if anyone could be of assistance. Thank you much.

EDIT-Fixed Cleric byby specialization Hello Power Attack

EDIT 2-Removed undead bugbear warrior level

herrhauptmann
2010-05-02, 10:09 AM
Not so sure you can give class levels (even NPC ones) to mindless undead. Since the party has already been through there once, they know what to expect, especially if it becomes obvious that you're copying the setup for the previous fights, just making them tougher.

My suggestion is make it something entirely different in terms of fight set up.
Evil cult trying to raise demons, or a bandit group led by a charismatic leader.

Ossian
2010-05-02, 10:27 AM
Now for the undead bugbear that is chained to the table, he has 7hd and one lvl of warrior.

Bugbear CR 7
Init +2
AC 17 FF 15 Touch 12
(+2 Dex, +5 natural)
HD: 8
HP: 67 (7d12+21, 1d8+3, +3)
Fort +7 Ref +7 Will +1
Speed 30ft
Base Atk +6 Grp +10
Attack: Morningstar +10 1d8+5
Full Attack: Morningstar +10/+5 1d8+5 19-20 crit

Abilities Str 21(+5) Dex 15(+2) Con - Int 12(+1) Wis 8(-1) Cha 8(-1)

Feats-Toughness, Improved Critical, Quick Draw

Skills- Climb +9, handle Animal +4, Intimidate +4, Jump +9, Swim +9
Plus undead immunites and such as well as bugbear darkvision and scent. He is a beast IMO.

Lastly, the cleric who resides in the back room, and unchains the bugbear as she passes.

Bugbear, Cleric 3 of Hruggek CR 5 Common, Goblin, Abyssal
Init +0
AC 13 FF 13 Touch 10
(+3 natural)
HP: 41 (3d8+6, 3d8+6)
Fort +6 Ref +4 Will +6
Speed 30ft
Base Atk +4 Grp +7
Attack: Morningstar +8 1d8+5
Attack: Short bow +4 1d6+0
Full Attack: Morningstar +8 1d8+5
Full Attack: Short bow +4 1d6+0
Abilities Str 16(+3) Dex 10(+0) Con 15(+2) Int 10(+0) Wis 15(+2) Cha 12(+1)
Total Feats: 3 Weapon Focus(Morningstar) as War Domain,Improved Turning +1 Turner Lvl,Weapon Specialization (Morningstar) +2 Damage. Alertness +2 Listen, Spot

Skill Points: 18
Skills: Climb +2. Hide +4, Listen +3(+5), Move Silently +6, Spot +3(+5)

Spells per day: 4 (lvl0), 3 (lvl1)Bonus1, 2(lvl2)Bonus1

Prepared Spells:(0)-Guidance(2), Light(1), Mending(1)
(1)-Summon Monster I(1), Obscuring Mist(1), Protection from good(1)
(2)-Desecrate(1), Sound Burst(1)

Evil Domain- +1 on Evil spells and Protection from good
War Domain- Proficent with Morningstar and Weapon Focus(Morningstar),Spiritual Weapon.

Domains- Evil, War

plus bugbeary stuff

I haven't yet really made treasure for the campaign nor have I given the monsters equipment aside from weapons. I kinda need some help with assigning Challenge ratings if anyone could be of assistance. Thank you much.

The cleirc can't qualify for weapon specilization (and the +2 to damage with the morningstar) as it requires Fighter level 4. Weapon focus and Weapon Spc. imply some serious "Bruce Lee" going on there, like a dedicated martial artists. If you wish to increase the damage to compensate, just raise the STR
score to 18 (an exceptionally strong specimen, and there you are. Alternatively, add one level of Warrior to get the extra HD and the stat raise you attain at level 4, and give it to STR to make things more plausible).

I concur on the undead as well. Can't have class levels, but you can just give it proficiency with the selected weapon and throw in an extra HD for good measure, no need to be a warrior.

theos911
2010-05-02, 11:24 AM
Thank you for your input, i'll fix the cleric in a minute. The idea was the bugbear had a lvl of warrior before being made undead. I personally dont see a problem with using the same lineup, because of the past plot used in the original adventure. Original adventure- The pcs arrive during storm, there are some nasties inside, and some hobgoblins scouting to make a base for their bugbear allies. In the deepest layer there is a bugbear zombie "The Dark Knight"(requiring ooos and ahhhhs and frightened mothers)Anyway this zombie is "sacred" to the bugbears. The pcs destroy the dark knight loot and leave. Though the bugbears are still interested in using the area as a base. Now beginning MY part of the story. NEW-The Bugbear Cleric with the help of some higher lvl clerics from her tribe created the undead found in the tor. She leaves them in the rooms of which they cannot get out of. The big bugbear undead is designed to replace the original Dark Knight, the cleric(s) can't(couldn't) control him so they chained him to a table. The cleric that now resides there with her two outdoor guardsmen live in the back room(8). When the pcs open the door from room 2 into the hall towards area 4, it dings a belll in area 8. The cleric then unchains the bugbear and runs for her life and barrs the door to room 8. If the pcs enter the room she uses her obscuring mist and ranged attacks until they find her or the mist goes away. If the pcs kill the new dark knight but leave the cleric alive, she will call for more outside guards and attempt to get more minions.

So when applying the undead template does the base retain it's classes or do they just poof into more undead(d12) HD? Also any ideas on assigning crs to the ghouls or goblins or bugbear. I got the cleric for sure, but the others I'm a bit lost on. Thanks in advance. Theos

btw @herrhauptmann Yes, they've been through here before, but I recommend you read the original adventure before you say they'll know what to expect. Example- in room 6 there was a chest with a dart trap and nothing else. The chest is still there, but there are ghouls waiting to pounce. Opening the chest closes the door instead. Room 7 used to have a lesser vargoule(or whatever it is) now there are undead goblins and magical socks. Basically all thats the same is the dark knight storyline and the floor plan.

herrhauptmann
2010-05-02, 05:09 PM
Theos, I've played it, I've run it. First time I played it, it was unchanged from the module, and boring. The second time, different character and DM, it was changed so drastically that I could barely recognize it. I suggest you look at the similarities between the original and what you're suggesting. It seems to be a direct continuation.
Good job for changing some traps. And I don't think I saw the vargouille in your list. *claps* But you've still got a spider, and a zombie in the basement. Most of your differences seem to be that you've removed monsters and added new loot. Only big change looks like the cleric.
When creatures die and come back as mindless undead, they lose all abilities they retained in life. 30th level fighter killed, and turned into a zombie is just as powerful as a commoner killed and turned into a zombie. The only difference is if the fighter is still wearing his his magic items or not.

To pick apart your plans. If the hobgoblin cleric can't control the zombie, why didn't he/she just destroy it? Would be a lot easier than trying to chain him down. "He's sacred" is a pisspoor excuse, but quality wise fits just perfectly with a good number of WotC modules (burning plague springs to mind).
Given that this is a former keep, a defensible location, I would expect the militaristic hobgoblins to place it under control of a war leader. Of course, if a warband is too difficult for your party to fight, it would make sense.

edit: Same floorplan, good, I wouldn't expect them to renovate. Storyline? Why keep the same storyline. Why play an adventure when you already know what's going to happen? Why do so many people refuse to reread books?

theos911
2010-05-02, 06:48 PM
Without overcomplicating it... it is supposed to be a direct continuation... thats the point. Sorry for assuming you didn't read it.(I've also dm'd the burning plague) I basically continued the storyline as was recommended. It said within 2 weeks bugbears set up base and raid. The undead bugbear is supposed to be uncontrollable, it is comparable to a pack of wardogs chained to a wall. The guy can't control them but BOY can they destroy what ever is after him.

I left the spider for logic's sake. There is a giant web, why not have another spider take residence there?

It is now under control of bugbears-not hobgoblins. The original scouts were merely hobgoblins sent by the bugbears, but the pcs killed them anyway.

The undead bugbear is still in the basement merely because I couldn't put him on the roof.(or anywhere else)