PDA

View Full Version : Psionics rules- please help!

Lateral
2010-05-02, 08:01 AM
I'm trying to build a gestalt shaper/druid (with 2 levels in fighter for bonus feats and weapon prof), but I can't figure out if psionics (or divine spells, actually) have spell(/power) chance failure. Please help!

jindra34
2010-05-02, 08:03 AM
Its Arcane Spell Failure chance from armor. If its an arcane spell yes otherwise no. And powers have neither verbal nor somatic components so thus they ignore most of the rest of the failure chances.

Lateral
2010-05-02, 08:07 AM
Ah, thanks. Psionics have "displays" that sort of act like somatic/vocal components, so I wasn't sure. Ok.

jindra34
2010-05-02, 08:11 AM
Ah, thanks. Psionics have "displays" that sort of act like somatic/vocal components, so I wasn't sure. Ok.
Thus why I phrased the first part as such.

Lycanthromancer
2010-05-02, 08:39 AM
Do note that even if psionic powers aren't directly affected by armor, they can be disrupted in other ways (see the Concentrate skill in the XPH, as well as various powers such as quintessence and ectoplasmic shambler).

In addition, wearing armor you're not proficient in applies other penalties, which you're still affected by.

You may actually want to see about taking a level or two in monk and the Talashtora feat, from Secrets of Sarlona, or psychic warrior, instead of fighter. You can take various alternative monk class features to get the feats you want, and Talashtora allows your manifester levels in one class to count as monk for the purposes of various monk abilities. Psychic warriors get fighter bonus feats and psionic feats and extra power points (based on Wis!) as well.

Oh, and ardent (from C.Psionic) is Wis-based, meaning it gestalts better with druid (though it doesn't get bonus feats like a psion does). Psychic warrior gets the bonus feats and is Wisdom-based, but it doesn't get nearly as many power points and has a different power list.

Yuki Akuma
2010-05-02, 09:25 AM
Consider: the one arcane spellcaster class in core with armour proficiency has a specific class ability to let him cast in it.

Most divine spellcasters and half psionic manifesters have armour proficiency. None of them have class abilities that negate spell failure.

Therefore, either none of them can wear armour effectively, or their abilities don't suffer from Arcane Spell Failure.

You decide!

Kylarra
2010-05-02, 09:56 AM
Consider: the one arcane spellcaster class in core with armour proficiency has a specific class ability to let him cast in it.

Most divine spellcasters and half psionic manifesters have armour proficiency. None of them have class abilities that negate spell failure.

Therefore, either none of them can wear armour effectively, or their abilities don't suffer from Arcane Spell Failure.

You decide!I vote the first one! :smallwink: