PDA

View Full Version : Sublime Chord + Suel Arcanamach: Can it be done (well)?

Mongoose87
2010-05-02, 09:50 AM
I like the Suel Arcanamach. It's a nice little pre-packaged gish that's pretty easy to qualify for. I think every bard user likes the Sublime Chord. However, could they be used together, with Abjurant Champion, to make a shiny high-level Gish?

Prestige Bard seems to be an intuitive approach, getting skill points, class skills and advancing spells, but SAs don't have Enchantment spells.

Can anyone help me in this endeavor?

Flickerdart
2010-05-02, 09:57 AM
You can use a Paladin base with Initiate of Milil and Harmonious Knight to, arguably, meet the prerequisites for the Bardic Music part of Sublime Chord. This will cost you a pile of feats and skill points (you pretty much need Human and a high INT) but it works out. I've drafted up (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=187753) such a character before. You lose out in some awkward places (such as having only one 3rd level spell known for all time) but get some extra BAB for your trouble and the Paladin's sexy saves.

Mongoose87
2010-05-02, 10:00 AM
And... bookmarked, thanks, very shiny.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2010-05-02, 10:45 AM
You could use Nymph's Kiss and drop your Int score. Use the Otyugh Hole to get Iron Will without wasting a feat.

Mongoose87
2010-05-02, 11:07 AM
Doesn't the Otyugh Hole wear off after a year?

Keld Denar
2010-05-02, 12:53 PM
Not if you pay the 3000g.

Harmoneous Knight Pally (if you can con your DM into thinking that it works...it kinda does) is really your best option.

Man, if you can get the 5 levels of AbjChamp into that build with Practiced Spellcaster to make up for the couple lost BAB you'll have, combined with Suel Arcanamach's CL boost combined with Sublime Chord's CL boost, you'll have like, a CL of 30+ vs dispels by level 20. Thats just plain old sexy. Too bad Mordy's is automatic...

His build is decent, but I'd change Pal6 to Pal4/Duskblade2 instead. That gets you free Combat Casting for AbjChamp, a couple extra 1st level spells to burn with Versatile Spellcaster, and all knowledges as class skills (which stay as class skills with Able Learner). Plus 2 good saves. Pal5 and Pal6 just don't have that much to offer unless you want to be a dedicated mounted warrior.

Eldariel
2010-05-02, 12:57 PM

Otyugh Hole is permanent. It varies from Magical Location to Magical Location. Metamagic Storm is 1 year, on the other hand; for example.

tyckspoon
2010-05-02, 01:08 PM

As mentioned the Hole is a permanent effect, but even if it weren't it wouldn't matter overly much; 1 year is roughly the same thing as permanent for the durations of most campaigns, and if you're in a campaign where there is a meaningful chance of that duration expiring you probably have enough down-time periods to revisit the Hole and refresh the feat.

Flickerdart
2010-05-02, 01:18 PM
The extra Paladin levels are mostly there to squeeze extra juice from Lay on Hands. I'd forgotten about the hole and Nymph's Kiss though.