PDA

View Full Version : Break it please

the geekish one
2010-05-02, 01:05 PM
I'm a 3rd level necromancer/ 3rd level cleric, and I want to take the true necromancer prestige class. My DM keeps dropping hints about how I could virtually break his campaign if I do the right thing next level. 3.5 edition. I have spell focus necromancy, corpsecrafter,and undead leadership. 18 CHA, INT, and WIS. Any ideas? I'm allowed to use any book. Also looking for a feat that allows someone to make a trip as an AoO.

Prodan
2010-05-02, 01:08 PM
I'm a 3rd level necromancer/ 3rd level cleric, and I want to take the true necromancer prestige class. My DM keeps dropping hints about how I could virtually break his campaign if I do the right thing next level. 3.5 edition. I have spell focus necromancy, corpsecrafter,and undead leadership.
Overall, the build is not very powerful, though any form of leadership is a fairly powerful feat.

Also looking for a feat that allows someone to make a trip as an AoO.
I think you can do that by default.

Keld Denar
2010-05-02, 01:10 PM
A) You will be 2 whole spell levels behind where you should be next level, so you won't be "breaking" anything. You'll have 2nd level spells when a straight cleric or wizard would have 4th level spells, and there are some REALLY good 4th level spells (Black Tenticles, Polymorph, Solid Fog, etc)

B) You don't need a feat to trip during an AoO. Read the combat section of the PHB. You can do most of the special combat actions (trip, disarm, grapple, sunder) in place of a normal melee attack. Since an AoO triggers a normal melee attack, you can do this.

What exactly are you looking for?

Pluto
2010-05-02, 01:24 PM
My DM keeps dropping hints about how I could virtually break his campaign if I do the right thing next level.
Any ideas?
pazuzu pazuzu pazuzu
or did you mean something based on your build? Because unless your DM just didn't anticipate anybody playing a spellcaster, I'm kind of drawing a blank. TN is a sad sad class.

Flickerdart
2010-05-02, 01:30 PM
The right thing next level is not to take True Necromancer. Progress your Wizard casting and you'll get 9th level spells by 20.

PhoenixRivers
2010-05-02, 01:41 PM
I believe your DM is referring to a campaign specific ability.

You're probably going to want to look for abilities that alter how things perceive you, or alter your detection abilities.

In some campaigns, for example, Being undead + Lifesight causes a lot of problems.

In others, having nonintelligent undead regard you as an undead could.

It's all about campaign interaction.

erikun
2010-05-02, 02:01 PM
Necropolitan template? Tomb-Tainted Soul feat? I think those work with the abilities of a Dread Necromancer base class, not the True Necromancer prestige class.

Heck, I don't even think the True Necromancer offers dual progression, does it?

Other than that, the most obvious thing I can think of is taking a level of Tainted Sorcerer and using an absurd Taint score to power your spells on both sides. Hardly optimal, and probably not what your DM is thinking, but you could potentially have a very large Taint score for lots of spells and high DCs. I think the Tainted Sorcerer base class holds Taint better than the prestige class of the same name.

Honestly, I'm not 100% sure what your DM is referring to.

Shiva asori
2010-05-02, 02:51 PM
True necromancer is dual progression but it has a few gaps where a class doesn't get a caster level.

erikun
2010-05-02, 04:39 PM
Well, I think the DM might have been thinking becoming an undead/ deathless/ Necropolitan/ Tomb-Tainted so that your negative energy spells will heal you. If the True Necromancer has a way to deliver an at-will attack which heals undead, you have an infinite source of healing for yourself.

The DM might have been thinking of the Dread Necro or Pale Master though. I believe both of them have a free heal-undead attack.

AslanCross
2010-05-02, 04:49 PM
You can trip or grapple as an AOO, as those explicitly replace attack actions.
You can't bull rush, however, as that's either a standard action or a full-round action.
Also, you can't trip someone who's already prone: AOOs happen before the action happens (such as getting up from a prone position), so you can't trip someone who's already prone.

Myou
2010-05-02, 04:50 PM
He's obviously thinking of Mystic Theurge. He just doen't know that while for your build it'd the best you can do, that overall it's not broken at all.

Divide by Zero
2010-05-02, 05:25 PM
Heck, I don't even think the True Necromancer offers dual progression, does it?

Technically it does, but it's only partial so you end up being like six levels behind on both sides without serious early-entry shenanigans (and you're still way behind the power curve even then).

SaintRidley
2010-05-02, 06:13 PM
You can break this by not going into True Necromancer.

Your character will be more powerful for it in the end.

Divide by Zero
2010-05-02, 07:08 PM
You can break this by not going into True Necromancer.

Your character will be more powerful for it in the end.

+1 this. Mystic Theurge will make you a better necromancer, and straight DN or straight cleric will both be better than that. Hell, with True Necromancer, if you took Leadership, and your cohort took Leadership, and your cohort's cohort was a straight cleric, that cohort would still be a better necromancer than you. I think we all know what Admiral Ackbar would have to say about TN.