PDA

View Full Version : Disco Elemental [3.5e Monster]

UncleWolf
2010-05-02, 02:26 PM
Disco Elemental

Huge Elemental (Extraplanar, Sonic/Light)
Hit Dice: 16d8+20 (88 hp)
Initiative: +8
Speed: 30ft (6 squares); Moonwalk* 20feet.
Armor Class: 21 (-2 size, +4 Dex, +9 natural), touch 12, flat-footed 17
Base Attack/Grapple: +12/+24
Attack: Slam +17 melee (2d8+6 plus 2d8 Sonic)
Full Attack: 2 Slams +17 melee (2d8+6 plus 2d8 Sonic)
Space/Reach: 15ft/15ft
Special Attacks:(See Below)
Special Qualities: Damage Reduction 5/-, Stayin' Alive, Darkvision 60ft, Elemental Traits, Immune to Sonic Damage, Vulnerable to Rap
Saves: Fort +15, Ref +15, Will +15
Abilities: Str 18, Dex 18, Con 18, Int 12, Wis 9, Cha 25
Skills: Listen +12, Spot +12, Perform(Dance) +20, Perform(Sing) +20
Feats:Combat Expertise, Combat Reflexes, Deflect Arrows, Improved Initiative, Lightning Reflexes, Mobility, Whirlwind Attack
Environment: Boogie Wonderland, City Streets, Dance Floors, and Parties
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: 8
Treasure: None.
Alignment: Neutral Funky or Damned Good. They can switch.
Advancement: 17-20 HD (Huge)

Description/background/characteristics:

The Disco Elemental is almost as much a construct as it is an elemental. It's born from the fusion of a Large Elemental of each type: Earth, Wind, and Fire. When the smoke clears, The Disco Elemental stands in their place, glowing in it's glory.

The Disco Elemental takes the appearance of a large humanoid, covered in pieces of mirrors and a disco ball enveloping the top part of it's head in a look similar to an Afro's. The bellbottoms are flared and covered in sequin, and it's chest is covered in a vest that shows more than it hides.

Combat:

In combat, the Disco Elemental is mostly a support unit, using it's abilities to distract, stun, and potentially damage opponents from afar. If given no other choice, it will close, using it's Groovy Moves to avoid blows and dance it's way through the melee.

Those fighting one will find themselves being constantly bombarded with songs and will need strong minds to resist joining in.

Ability descriptions:

Stayin' Alive [Ex]: As long as disco music is playing, the Disco Elemental can not be killed or dispelled, merely knocked unconscious

Disco Inferno [Su.]: The powers of Funk are called down on a chosen target, dealing 4d8 Fire damage, 2d8 of which is also Holy. Reflex save [DC 25]to negate. This has a range of 25 feet, and a diameter of 5ft.

Can't Get Enough of Your Love, Baby [Sp.]: Target is forced to make a Will Save [DC 27] or be enthralled by it's powers over love. This is the equivalent of a Wizard using a 10th level Charm Person Spell. May only effect one target at a time.

Sing A Song [Sp]: All opponents within 20foot radius must pass a will save [DC 20] or are forced to sing until they do(Effectively stunning them), or until they are attacked.

Mighty Mighty [Ex]: The Elemental is infused with the strength of The Boogie. Critical is now 16-20 and lasts 1d6 rounds, but only on Saturday Nites.

Turn on (The Beat Box)[Su]: The Elemental may turn on or off at will any piece of equipment or spell that produces sound that doesn't need an actual player. (i.e. every car radio within 100 yards suddenly switches to a funk station)

Celebration [Ex.]: Striking a pose in tune with the Disco swirling around it, the mirrors on it's surface glow, reflecting any light based attacks for 1d6 rounds. Confetti also fills the air, causing a -4 to all ranged attacks against the Disco Elemental. This action does not need to be sustained.

*Moonwalk: As a Move Action, the Disco Elemental can Move backwards 20ft, still facing the same direction, without invoking an attack of opportunity.

Notes: This idea spawned from silly conversations among friends and I. It's not completely serious(obviously), but I planned on it being usable if necessary.

Thieves
2010-05-02, 04:08 PM
Love it. Deeply. :smallbiggrin:

However!

Sing-a-song!? It oughtta be Everybody Now!!

Celebration should perhaps also have a daze effect!

If I may:

Baby Do The Conga [Sp]: The Disco Elemental calls upon the powers of the Party Spirit to create powerful winds. If not resisted (DC 25 Balance check), these winds move all creatures in a 100-foot radius, up to a 50-foot distance, so that they all end up positioned in a straight line. No party receives attacks of opportunity after having been moved this way.

Orzel
2010-05-02, 04:34 PM
I like it.
Shouldn't one of it's environments be Boogie Wonderland.

Lord Loss
2010-05-02, 04:42 PM
It may be a Disco elemental, but it is in fact composed of pure WIN!

Awesome monster.

UncleWolf
2010-05-02, 05:33 PM
Thanks. :smallbiggrin:

I thought about a Daze effect, but decided it already had a set of pretty powerful stun/charm abilities. Though, the Confetti could obscure enough to provide a penalty to ranged attacks made against it. How does -4 sound?

And the Conga ability would actually fit pretty well with it being a mostly support creature. Thanks. :smallsmile:

Also, Boogie Wonderland will be added to the enviorment.

DracoDei
2010-05-02, 11:12 PM
Were you aware that there is a thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/printthread.php?t=55828) that lays out Square/Neutral/Funky as a third axis to the alignment system for light-hearted games? Bhu and I are the only people I know of who seem to use it, but it is there and it might be worth refining the alignment line and MAYBE a few of the abilities(haven't looked at what you have in detail yet) to match up with that thread better.

Disco Inferno probably needs a range...

Can't Get Enough of Your Love, Baby [Sp.]:
Your non-standard phrasing may slow comprehension, and you need to specify which stat the save is based on.

Sing A Song [Sp]:
Very much needs a range. See also above.

Mighty Mighty [Ex]: The Elemental is infused with the strength of The Boogie. Critical is now 16-20 and lasts 1d6 rounds, but only on Saturday Nites.

Turn on (The Beat Box)[Su]:
So they can activate scrolls of Shout that a PC is carrying without any roll to prevent it, and, given the circumstances, perhaps no saving throw to reduce the damage for the person carrying it?

Celebration [Ex.]: Might be good to specify they don't have to maintain this for the 1d6 rounds to continue to get the benefits.

*Moonwalk: Should be "move action" and you technically need to specify how far it can move like this.

Baby Do The Conga [Sp]: I am not sure if Balance checks are the right ones... I mean it makes SENSE, but it also ISN'T what strong winds usually require (I can't remember if it is Fort or Reflex).

Debihuman
2010-05-03, 02:27 AM
The DC for spell-like abilities is: "10 + the level of the spell the ability resembles or duplicates + the creature’s Cha modifier." Can't Get Enough of Your Love should be DC 18 not DC 27.

Other saves are generally 10 + 1/2 the creature's HD + the creature's ability modifier.

At 16 HD, it should have 6 feats and any additional feats should be noted as bonus feats. Since you didn't give the creature any of the skills from Agile and Acrobatic in its skill section, I'd recommend you lose those feats. Monsters still have to qualify for normal feats. It doesn't qualify for Combat Expertise.

Here is my recommendation for Feats:

Feats: Combat Reflexes, Deflect Arrows, Dodge, Improved Initiative, Improved Unarmed Strike, Lightning Reflexes, Mobility(B), Whirlwind Attack (B)

Debby

Sereg
2010-05-03, 09:15 AM
Were you aware that there is a thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/printthread.php?t=55828) that lays out Square/Neutral/Funky as a third axis to the alignment system for light-hearted games? Bhu and I are the only people I know of who seem to use it, but it is there and it might be worth refining the alignment line and MAYBE a few of the abilities(haven't looked at what you have in detail yet) to match up with that thread better.

I also use it. I've actually been thinking that we need some outsiders with the [Funky] and [Square] subtypes. Anyway, this would certainly fit in in Gnarlopolopolis.

UncleWolf
2010-05-03, 11:17 AM

Disco Inferno probably needs a range...

Can't Get Enough of Your Love, Baby [Sp.]:
Your non-standard phrasing may slow comprehension, and you need to specify which stat the save is based on.

Sing A Song [Sp]:
Very much needs a range. See also above.

Turn on (The Beat Box)[Su]:
So they can activate scrolls of Shout that a PC is carrying without any roll to prevent it, and, given the circumstances, perhaps no saving throw to reduce the damage for the person carrying it?

Celebration [Ex.]: Might be good to specify they don't have to maintain this for the 1d6 rounds to continue to get the benefits.

*Moonwalk: Should be "move action" and you technically need to specify how far it can move like this.

Baby Do The Conga [Sp]: I am not sure if Balance checks are the right ones... I mean it makes SENSE, but it also ISN'T what strong winds usually require (I can't remember if it is Fort or Reflex).

How does a range of 25ft with a 5 foot diameter sound for Disco Inferno?

I'll rewrite Can't Get Enough of Your Love, Baby, and for Sing A Song, I'll give it a radius of 20 feet plus the person has to have the ability to hear.

As for Turn On (The Beat Box), I had thought of it as not really using the scrolls like that, but using them as a conduit for it's music. No real effect other than enforcing Stayin' Alive.

I'll specify Celebration and Moonwalk already has a listed movement of 20ft, but I'll make sure it's at the ability description as well.

Also, I'm removing Conga for now, until a few things are checked out.

The DC for spell-like abilities is: "10 + the level of the spell the ability resembles or duplicates + the creature’s Cha modifier." Can't Get Enough of Your Love should be DC 18 not DC 27.

Other saves are generally 10 + 1/2 the creature's HD + the creature's ability modifier.

At 16 HD, it should have 6 feats and any additional feats should be noted as bonus feats. Since you didn't give the creature any of the skills from Agile and Acrobatic in its skill section, I'd recommend you lose those feats. Monsters still have to qualify for normal feats. It doesn't qualify for Combat Expertise.

Here is my recommendation for Feats:

Feats: Combat Reflexes, Deflect Arrows, Dodge, Improved Initiative, Improved Unarmed Strike, Lightning Reflexes, Mobility(B), Whirlwind Attack (B)

Debby

Ah, thanks for the tips about the feats. But as the DC goes, isn't it the spell's casting level? If that was the case, it should be 27. 10+10(spell level)+ CHA Mod (+7).

Debihuman
2010-05-03, 05:51 PM
Ah, thanks for the tips about the feats. But as the DC goes, isn't it the spell's casting level? If that was the case, it should be 27. 10+10(spell level)+ CHA Mod (+7).

Except Charm person is a first level spell not a 10th level spell. There are no 10th level spells (other than Epic spells and homebrewed stuff). Spell level is the level of the spell not the level of the caster.

For example see the Dryad: she casts spells at 6th level and she uses her Wisdom 15 (+2 modifier). Currently she cast entangle [a 1st level spell] with a DC 13 (10 + 1 + 2), but your way would have her cast entangle with a DC 18 (10 +6 +2). This is a spell-like ability for the dryad.

Debby