PDA

View Full Version : OotS the band

Orzel
2010-05-02, 05:02 PM
My friend and I had a little disagreement.
If somehow the OotS had to form a band and were competent musicians:

Who would be lead guitar?
and
What would Belkar play?

I say Belkar raps. That way half of OotS fans hate him but his personal fans love him so much that dropping him would be stupid

Gandariel
2010-05-02, 05:41 PM
{Scrubbed}

waterpenguin43
2010-05-02, 05:44 PM
My friend and I had a little disagreement.
If somehow the OotS had to form a band and were competent musicians:

Who would be lead guitar?
and
What would Belkar play?

I say Belkar raps. That way half of OotS fans hate him but his personal fans love him so much that dropping him would be stupid

Lead Guitar? Elan.
Haley? Singer.
Roy? Piano.
V? Special effects management.
Durkon? Bass
Belkar? Drums..... Made from Kobold skulls.

Nimrod's Son
2010-05-02, 08:07 PM
Durkon? Bass
Totally. :smallamused:

Draconi Redfir
2010-05-02, 08:27 PM
Haley: keyboard
Roy: big arse electric guitar
Durkon: drums
Belkar: guitar
V: Bass
Elan: Vocals / fiddle / flute / trumpeteer.

shadowkiller
2010-05-02, 09:05 PM
Elan: singer who due to his being a dashing swordsman would swing onto stage
Haley: Guitarist, the guitar was looted from a god or dragon
Roy: Bass or as he calls it the Greatguitar
Durkon: Drums, but instead of using an instrument he calls Thor's lightning such that the thunder gives the beat
V: Manager, casts Vaarsuvius's Greater Stage to create a concert hall for each performance
Belkar: 2 guitars

Zelthax
2010-05-03, 01:02 AM
Elan: Vocals
Durkon: Bass
V: Synth
Belkar: Drums

Both Haley and Roy would play guitar, alternating between rhythm and lead, and combining for some kick-a** dueling guitar solos.

SadisticFishing
2010-05-03, 05:46 AM

Both Haley and Roy would play guitar, alternating between rhythm and lead, and combining for some kick-a** dueling guitar solos.

This one seems perfect.

The Pilgrim
2010-05-03, 06:43 AM
Elan: Singer, often introducing unusual instruments like the Banjo or the Kazoo - often unexpectedly and to the grief of the rest of the band. Prone to going nude on-stage. Roy almost threw him out, but all the other members vouched Elan, since without his eccentricities the Band would go stale. His twin brother is the leader of a rival Band. Romantically involved with the lead guitar, much to the dissapointment of his female fans.

Haley: Lead Guitar, Chorus. Pub managers pay millions to have her socializing at their locals, as anywhere she steps in becomes fashionable on the spot. There are rumors about a past in the Mafia and being still chased by her former Don. Rumors also that she is being blackmailed large sums of money by the ruler of a banana republic. Rumors also on her latent bisexuality. Romantically involved with the Singer, much to the dissapointment of her male fans.

Roy: Drums (strongest and heaviest-built member of the Party). Manager and leader of the band, he formed and promoted it thanks to the contacts and money provided by his father, an once-famous Jazz saxophonist. When things screw up on-stage he saves the day with a big drum display solo. He almost died once, choked on his own vomits during an ethilic comma, while separated from the band. But the other guys found him in time to bring him to the Hospital - through the GPS of their van screwed and they took a long detour.

Durkon: Bass (we all know why. Sorry, lad). The level-headed member, Roy knows he can rely on him to help getting the Band back to it's senses when everyone else is drunk, drugged or fooling around (usually on-stage). Roy picked him up from another band that ditched him. Now he is famous and his former garage-band dissolved. So bad call, idiots.

Vaarsuvius: Keyboard, Visual Effects. Has an unconfessable, embrassing secret: Does music for video-games under a pseudonym, needs the money to pay a credit it took from a loan-shark to cure it's artificial-inseminataned children from cancer, inducted because V got a mother-for-hire who smoke during pregnancy. Sure, V wouldn't be in economic problems if it had took a regular credit, but it could not stand the shame to ask someone to be it's loan guarantee.

Belkar: Second Guitar, prone to start improvising on his own ignoring the rest of the band, and/or stealing the lead. The guy who usually breaks the Guitar at the climax, jumps over the public, and stuff. Dies early due to drug overdose. Through the Band still goes on for several years after his demise, hardcore fans will remember "the Belkar times" as the Golden Era of the Band.

Celia: Yoko Ono.

HandofShadows
2010-05-03, 09:38 AM

I like this one best.

DBear
2010-05-03, 10:40 AM
Roy--leader--lead guitar
Haley--lancer--bass, backing vocals
Vaarsuvius--smart guy--a wall of keyboards that would put Rick Wakeman to shame.
Durkon--dwarf--drums/percussion
Elan--bard--lead vocals, naturally
Belkar--sixth man--sax, horns, various additional instruments

dps
2010-05-03, 10:45 AM
Roy: lead guitar
Elan: lead vocals
Haley: sax
Durkon: bass guitar
Belkar: drums
V: keyboards

the humanity
2010-05-03, 11:00 AM
Belkar: singer (he acts like it)
Elan: lead guitar, backing vocals
Roy: band leader, bass
Vaarsuvius: drummer. but one of the guys with a tom tuned to every note 3 bass drums and more cymbals than toes.
Durkon: rhythm guitar
Haley: the other singer. you know, kinda like 311.

Jagos
2010-05-03, 11:08 AM
Celia: Yoko Ono.

Wow... That's wrong. Funny but wrong. The rest was pretty cool.

Scarlet Knight
2010-05-03, 03:48 PM
Roy: I see him as a Keith Emerson type of keyboardist. Unhappy because people do not appreciate the intellect he puts in his music, sampling classical pieces in rock and roll form. Heard to mutter: “My Dad? Harpies have better musical appreciation…”

Elan: Davy Jones –like heartthrob crooner. Adds lute & kazoo as back up. Opened a second hand shop with the bodices thrown on stage…

Haley: Joan Jett-ish lead guitar, Bit of an exhibitionist, this only adds to her popularity.

Belkar : Keith Moon like drummer. “It’s all about maidens, mead, & madrigals, right?” Constantly needs to be bailed out of jail, the latest for riding a chariot through the lobby of a hotel.

Durkon: John Entwistle like bassist. Quiet, steady heart beat of the band.

Vaarsuvius: David Bowie-like back up singer. Incredably range, from baritone to falsetto; has the fans guessing. Plays the sitar but his solo’s tend to last forever…

Celia: I like the Yoko analogy. Manager who has the band always in the red between her booking of so many charity events, Belkar’s bail, & the time Haley’s top fell off during a solo, causing Elan to go invisible…

Yendor
2010-05-03, 04:37 PM
Lead Guitar? Elan.
Haley? Singer.
Roy? Piano.
V? Special effects management.
Durkon? Bass
Belkar? Drums..... Made from Kobold skulls.

That's pretty much what I'd have (minus the skulls, maybe), but I'd put V on keyboards and give Roy a saxophone.

licoot
2010-05-03, 04:42 PM
i don't believe that belkar would play anything but drums

JonestheSpy
2010-05-04, 01:13 AM
I like some of the lineups here, but can't resist being a bit more avant-garde.

Elan: mandolin, lead vocals, and musical saw, just because musical saw is a really impractical idea.

Haley: musical spoons. Silver spoons of course, that she just happened to find lying around somewhere.

Durkon: bagpipes. Just that whole "dwarves are Scottish" thing.

Belkar: bagpipes, just to annoy people.

Varsuvius: flute, also maybe Irish fiddle, for that whole "Oh yeah, I can play that ceilidh faster than that" mindset.

Roy: Drums. Always trying to keep everyone else on the beat and in sync, and usually failing.

Kurald Galain
2010-05-04, 09:26 AM
:roy: Lead guitar.
:durkon: Bass guitar.
:belkar: Drums and cymbals.
:haley: Keyboard.
:elan: Drumbone, angel airpole, washboard, car horn, and giant wooden alpaca.
:vaarsuvius: Acoustic violin, then casts a silence spell on the rest of the band because they just don't understand the subtle elvish tones.

Kurald Galain
2010-05-04, 09:33 AM
The Linear Band:
:nale: Lengthy raps that don't rhyme nearly as well as he thinks they do.
:sabine: Guitar, vocals, and general eye candy.
:thog: thog hit things with club then jump off stage
:yikyik: / :yokyok: Second guitar.
:hilgya: Keyboard.
:zzdtri: Stands in a corner of the stage holding a guitar and doesn't seem to do anything with it.
:pompey: Harp. Yeah, he was never that cool.
:leeky: Several flutes.

Band Evil:
:xykon: Lead guitar, overly dramatic lyrics, and unnecessary pyrotechnics.
:redcloak: Keyboard.
:tsukiko: Second guitar and singer.
:mitd: Drums.

Azure Band
:hinjo: Cello.
:lien: Clarinet.
:ochul: Bass.
:shojo: Manager that gets all the royalties.

Lecan
2010-05-05, 01:58 PM
Wow... That's wrong. Funny but wrong. The rest was pretty cool.

It's pretty appropriate, actually. The whole post was nice work.

CletusMusashi
2010-05-05, 04:23 PM
Roy: Vocals, lyrics, rythm guitar.
Elan: Lead guitar, backing vocals, which have a tendency to overwhelm Roy's.
Haley: Flute, because it's easy to travel and sneak with; she IS still a thief. By the way, do NOT ask about rogue camp.
Vaarasuvius: Organ.
Durkon: Bagpipes.
Belkar: Drums, although he also owns a trumpet that he brings to parties just to be loud and annoying.
Celia: Keyboards. What, nobody else has a source of electricity?

Nale: Writer, manager, conductor. Also, is currently building huge Rube Goldberg device in order to play one short tune on xylophone.
Sabine: Vocals, tambourines.
Thog: Triangle.

MitD: Tambourine
Tsukiko: Cello
Redcloak: Oboe
Xykon: Lightshows and heckling.

Darcy
2010-05-06, 10:20 AM
Elan - Lead vocals
A bard's first instrument is his voice. Elan might play guitar or compose in the studio, but live he just sings so he can run around on stage and be dramatic. I'm sure those Dashing Swordsman skills will come in handy in this case.

Roy - Lead guitar, backup vocals
A lead guitarist ought to be tall. Plus I'm sure he's got some sweet stage moves from all that fancy sword-swinging he does. It's always important that the lead guitarist and lead vocalist balance each other out, and I think Roy is a good foil for Elan.

Durkon - Rhythm guitar
I was originally going to put him on drums, because he hits things, but I think Durkon would make a fine rhythm guitarist. Durkon is a humble guy, but he's too talented to be stuck too far in the background.

Belkar - Bass
It'll teach him some humility and teamwork. I also considered him for drums, because he's already got dual-wielding going on, but maybe chilling out on bass would be good for him.

Haley - drums
Quick and agile Haley would be a monster behind the kit. As a highly acrobatic thief, limb independence comes naturally to her. Also she kind of looks like a drummer I know ("Juice" from the Montreal band Blackguard).

V - Keyboards
Keyboardists tend to be the reclusive, studious types. Plus, they can sound "magical" and add spooky atmosphere.

MonkeyBusiness
2010-05-07, 12:59 AM
I imagine OOTs as a Glenn Miller style swing band. Big band, with brass, strings, and woodwinds.

:belkar: "Cool! What do I play?"

You play clarinet.

:belkar: "Sweet! Eat you heart out, Peanuts Hucko!" <plays a "Rhapsody in Blue"-style riff> "Yes! I am a sexy, shoeless god of swing!"

Yeah ... right. Well, we don't have a need for lute, but Elan is totally the crooner type, so he gets Srgt Johnny Desmond's voice.

:elan: "I'm participating!"

Of course you are. Now just step up to the big, clonky RCA microphone there, and sing "My Heart Tells Me." And sing it in German: Mein Herz Sagt Mir.

:haley: <swoons> clonk

Up off the floor there, girl, because we need your organizational skills and financial savvy to keep this swing boat afloat. Also, since you did such a great job organizing the underground resistance in Azure City, you are in charge of propaganda. You'll be just like Ilse Weinberger.

:elan: "Yes Ma'am! Mein Herz meldet sich zur Stelle!"

:haley: clonk!

Oh well. Now, Durkon ...

:durkon: "Ach, Lass, ah cannae play nae instruments! Me studies as cleric ta Thor took up alla me time and ah never learned nae cross-class skills nor nae -"

Don't worry, Durkon. You can do this. <reaches into a bag of holding, pulls out a grand piano and a stool ... then after a moment twirls the stool way, way up so Durkon can reach the keyboard > Use what you know. What would Thor Play?

:durkon: <without stopping to think reaches out and "Stormy Weather" rolls lazily forth.>

Good man. All right, Vaarsuvius, you'll be -

:vaarsuvius: "My apologies. I do not see the relevance of this to our quest. Hence, I do not see the need to waste my time with ..."

:haley: "Do you see the relevance of wooing back Inkyrius?"

:vaarsuvius: "What?"

:elan: "Come on, V ... you've just messed things up so badly with your mate, the only chance you have of getting any sort of forgiveness, ever, is by singing the blues."

:vaarsuvius: "... You do make that point." <steps up to the piano, closes eyes, and in the voice of Lady Day begins to sing "In My Solitude">

:roy: "Wow, I never thought of V as an alto ..."

:elan: "Hey, V! That's great, but Billy Holiday wasn't part of the Glenn Miller Band. Can you imitate Irene Manning?"

:vaarsuvius: "I shall endeavor to do so ..." <waves hand, creates an illusion of a string orchestra, and warbles out "Long Ago and Far Away">

:roy: "... or a soprano. Well. I suppose I'm next, aren't I?"

:belkar: "Make him play trombone!"

:roy: "No. I will not play trombone."

:belkar: "What's the matter Roy? Celia's not around to help oil your slide?"

Belkar, if you don't shut up I'm taking your clarinet away and assigning you Judy Garland's voice.

:belkar: "Shutting up now." <plays the "cat" theme from Peter and the Wolf very quietly.>

Roy, why don't you give Ray McKinley's voice a try?

:roy: <sings> "I got a gal that's always late ... everytime we ever have a date ... Hey, that's not bad. His voice is ... strong!"

:durkon: "Know this one, Lad?" <plays ...>

:roy: "Hell, yeah! 'Eight to the Bar!' Ka-Plink! Ka-Plank! Ka-Plink-a-plank-a-plink-a-plank-a plonkin' on the keys! Rrrrriff! A-rrrraff! A-riff-a-raff-a-riff-a-raff a riffin' off with ease! And when he jams with the bass guitar they holler:"

:haley::vaarsuvius::belkar::durkon::elan: "Beat me daddy! Eight to the bar!"

:roy: "Hahaha! This is fun ... hey ... why do I only have one expression?

Scarlet Knight
2010-05-07, 07:52 AM
Oh, my...that was ....brilliant!

Orzel
2010-05-07, 06:59 PM
That was awes, MonkeyBusiness.

As for the TC (I can't believe I forgot to write mine)

:elan:
Lead vocal and non-guitar strings. His skill comes for his voice. Anything done by his hand (like is magic and swordplay) serves as dressing that is not really needed but good to have access to.

:roy:
Lead Guitar and main songwriter. Brains for the songwriting since no one else will. Also has to play lead because no one can be trusted to not go crazy and do a 5 minute solo.

:haley:
Bass and Female vocals. Unappreciated. Ignored. Then she struts her stuff on the bass and earns the money. Rhythm is roguish.

:durkon:
Drums. As the straight man, who nothing interesting 95% of the time and is amazing 5% of the time. Drums is perfect.

:belkar:
Non-singing vocals and rhythm guitar. He is good at what he does and bad at everything else. 1/2 the fans hate him but his personal fans and antics bring so much good publicity, he has to stay. Plus when he dies, the rest of the band will make a killing from the tribute album.

:vaarsuvius:
Keyboards and other vocals. Because Durkon plays "boring drums" most of the time, Belkar doesn't play attention, and Haley who play silently on purpose; V has the use the versatility of the piano is fix everything. Or at least that's what V thinks.

TreesOfDeath
2010-05-08, 06:39 AM
*Warning Long Post. The gears in my head turned. SKip if you don't like*

I can't decide wether Roy or Elan would be lead singer. I mean Roy's the head honcho, but Elan has the most musical skill. Roy would probably start as lead guitarst but get shifted as the band gets popularity and all the fangirls would drool/scream over Elan (a real life ELan would almost definately look like one of those pretty boy muscians teenage girls are so found of).

Even with Elan as the Band's face, Roy would do the manager stuff, be the "power behind the throne" and stop the band falling apart due to stupidity, drama, people not showing up/doing what there supposed to or the many tabloid drawing things Belkar would do. Elan would probably write the songs because Roy doesn't seem espeically talented music wise, but Roy would help make them less stupid and inane.

Belkar would be on the drums and be rather like Wolf from Gladitors, the etertaining ******* who regularly abuses and threatens fans, and ends up unfavourbly in the papers, but manages to stay on because of people who enjoy these antics. May possibly threaten to bite people's heads off.

Im not a musical guy so i don't know what instaments the others would play but i can guess at their roles in the band:

Haley would be the obligatory fanservicery feamale dancer in ludrioucsly skimpy clothes to draw the teenage boys to the yard.

V would most fill the soulful intelcutal one, until his temper causes him to blow and cause some more tabloid drama.

Durkon would be the quiet emo one, writing dodgy poetry and all.

Celia would offically be the manager, though Roy would probably be doing most of the managerial duties. She would at least keep Belkar out of jail, at first, I guess.

The band would probably apart due to massive persoanlity differences and because a lot of the comedy of this comic came from how unsutiable an adventuring band the OTTS is. Its easier to keep a party together when you have a world saving common goal, where as band's often fall apart even if they were good friends. V would blow up at the wrong people, Belkar would piss everyone off and give the band so, so much unwatned publicty, Elan would piss off Roy through imense stupidity and unprofessinalism, Haley would realise she could probably make more money on her own(unless she stayed for ELan), and embezzle from the group when its coming apart, and Durokon would go and sulk somewhere.

Hurrash

NotAEvilToaster
2010-05-08, 09:22 AM
:elan: Your are all WRONG. Elan will play the one, the only...
ELECTRIC LLUUUTTTEE!

banthesun
2010-05-08, 10:36 AM
:roy: "Hahaha! This is fun ... hey ... why do I only have one expression?

Your internet is in the mail.

OT: I like the idea of Durkon on bass, but I believe they should add some class by using a double bass.

V on keyboard/synth sounds good too.

Yiuel
2010-05-08, 06:15 PM
Well, I just had to do it. It was a bait.

So here you go, how I think it should be :

http://img684.imageshack.us/img684/7562/ootsband.png

MonkeyBusiness
2010-05-08, 07:56 PM
clonk Excuse me, please while I pick my jaw up ... it seems to have dropped.

Yiuel, that is ... amazing ...

Well, I just had to do it. It was a bait.

So here you go, how I think it should be :

http://img684.imageshack.us/img684/7562/ootsband.png

Wow. Just ... wow.

(Way out in the lawn seats Monkey Business grabs a :roach: and gives it a good squeeze, cigarette-lighter style.)

MBiz

Scarlet Knight
2010-05-08, 08:55 PM
... :roach:....

Yiuel
2010-05-08, 09:37 PM
clonk Excuse me, please while I pick my jaw up ... it seems to have dropped.

Yiuel, that is ... amazing ...

Wow. Just ... wow.

(Way out in the lawn seats Monkey Business grabs a :roach: and gives it a good squeeze, cigarette-lighter style.)

MBiz

I still felt there was something missing when I did it at first.

No, it isn't Celia Ono.

And now that I added what I thought was missing, well...

Enjoy.

http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/4588/ootsbandspotsfinal.png

Oh, and it was missing some... light :smallbiggrin:

For reference,

Elan is lead singer, and no lute for him sorry. Roy is lead guitarist (with the double thing), with Haley doing a second guitar, good Lancer as she is storywise. Belkar's our bass, and he's going over the top with it. Having him sit on the drum (as the big guy should be) didn't feel right for a dude that runs and jumps all the time. Durkon is our drummer, calm and relax, maintaining the group's beat (healer pun intended as well). And V with the keyboard is, I think, natural enough.

And I don't want to see Celia anywhere, except, maybe, as the group's lawyer when they need one. Management will be done by Haley while representation (and management verification) will be done by Roy.

MonkeyBusiness
2010-05-09, 12:58 AM
Wow. I didn't think it could get better, but it did.

Now can you do them in sepia tones as the Glenn Miller band?

MBiz

Yiuel
2010-05-09, 10:38 AM
Wow. I didn't think it could get better, but it did.

Now can you do them in sepia tones as the Glenn Miller band?

MBiz

Sent it to you via PM. You can show it to everyone if you want though :smallsmile: