PDA

View Full Version : [nWoD] Fictional Army Invading Reality: "Disbelief? Paradox? What Are Those?"

Leliel
2010-05-02, 06:42 PM
Well, I was watching a Let's Play of Persona 2: Innocent Sin-very nWoD game, by the way-and I just came across the scene where the baseless conspiracy theory of the Nazi leadership escaping Germany and forming the vicious magitech war machine of the Last Battalion is made real, causing the formerly-nonexistent legion to be given life as an army of tulpas (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tulpa) and invade Japan. In full view of the public, I might add.

This, besides making me somewhat nostalgic for the series before 3 and 4 (which are both good, just focusing on different plots) also struck me with a question: What would happen if the Last Battalion (or it's sister in Eternal Punishment, the New World Order-which is actually composed of real people, who just happen to be organized around a tulpa doctrine and artifact) came into existence in the nWoD and did that?

Obviously, a fully-complete Masquerade can be waved goodbye (after all, the general public, even if they don't know the truly supernatural nature of the tulpas, are at a loss at the ability to somehow explain the fact that a secret organization with supernatural powers really just did invade), and there's going to be more than a little panic amongst the semi-human community (who are going to figure out what the tulpas are, and let's be frank: a literal legion of beings who aren't supposed to exist suddenly gaining enough power to invade at least one city, Disbelief be dammed, looks an awful lot like a herald of the apocalypse).

But other than that, what effect do you see an event like this on the day-to-day life of the WoD, and how do you see the supernatural factions reacting (beyond the basic "oh crap")?

Yuki Akuma
2010-05-02, 07:20 PM
Unless they're the product of Awakened magic, Disbelief wouldn't do squat anyway...

The Glyphstone
2010-05-02, 07:34 PM
Sounds a lot like the Manes from Genius: Transgression. You might want to go take a look at it for ideas.

In-universe, though, I see the factions caring in the following order:
-Mages (serious bad problems, even if it's not an outright Abyssal invasion)
-Werewolves (they're not spirits, but probably still bad news for the world)
-Changelings (anything that disrupts a changeling's day-to-day life can strip Clarity)
-Vampires/Hunters/Mortals/Sin-Eaters (All roughly in the same boat here)
-Prometheans (can their lives suck any worse than they already do?)

Leliel
2010-05-02, 09:13 PM
Unless they're the product of Awakened magic, Disbelief wouldn't do squat anyway...

Yeah, I just wrote that to point out the likely response to the likely mage-asked question.

And let's face it-creating tulpas is usually the province of powerful Mind magic.