PDA

View Full Version : Rebirth Of The Gods

ArlEammon
2010-05-02, 07:21 PM
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=151063

Long ago, there were many places on Earth that were actually worlds of their own, and yet somewhere the same world all at once. This is the account of the New Beginning, the Return of Olympus, the Flowering, The Rebirth.

Channel 5 News Broadcast:
"All over the world there have been many religious occurences of countless kinds. Too numerous to count, we have a psychologist and theologian here with us to discuss what this all could possibly mean."

Meanwhile, none of you have much reason to care other than being interested passingly. Afterall, it isn't effecting you now. For all you know, this is just another passing spiritualist fad, much like the Seances of the 1800's. However, one day, something changed. . .

Hawker
2010-05-02, 08:51 PM
Adena

Stepping off the curb, Adena walked across the street into the square a block from her shabby apartment. Her black and scarlet (dyed) hair was in her eyes, but she liked it that way. As she passed a curbside preacher, prattling on about the "rebirth" and the "coming of the gods," she muttered under her breath, "Funny, those guys are usually Christian."
She bought a breakfast sandwich and descended into the subway. There was another one of those polytheist evangelists down there, too. She put on some headphones to drown him out, but watched him until her train came. He certainly had some zeal, with the way he was gesticulating wildly. When the train arrived, Adena rose from her bench to board, but was stopped by the street-preacher. He said something, and then when she took off her headphones, he repeated it: "You! You're her! I've seen you--"
"That's great and all, but I've got a train to catch," Adena said. She shook his hand from her arm and got on board, leaving him standing alone in the station.
When she arrived at her destination, Adena took off her headphones and walked up the stairs to the park district. Her friends were there, waiting. She approached unnoticed, took out her lighter and offered a light to one of them who was struggling for a smoke. "Oh, you're here," he said, puffing on the newly-lit cig.
Adena snapped the lid of her lighter closed. "What are we burning this month?" she asked.
"We're going big, for this one," her friend responded.
"Oh? Where?" Adena asked.
The other arsonist replied, "Well, we found a mob safehouse. We're going to make it a lot less safe, so to speak."
"No," Adena said. "It's too dangerous. We decided before that we're only going to get small-time criminal targets. Once we get in with the mob, we're never coming out."
"Act small, stay small. Take grand steps, get grand results," the first one said, a hint of sarcasm on his tone.
"Grand doesn't have to be so risky. I'm starting to think you two are just in this for the pyromania," Adena muttered.
"Oh come on, Adena. You get more joy out of watching things burn than either of us, and you know that." Adena started to respond, but was cut off. "Now stop being such a damn chicken and come on. We've got a lot of kero to buy, and even more plans to go over. This place is pretty big."

industrious
2010-05-02, 09:14 PM
Crescat looked irritably at the TV in his dorm room. Long black hair, tangled and uncombed ran down the man's back; he hadn't gone to the barbers in months. Not out of any sense of fashion, but simply because he had been too busy. He also smelled.

"Would you shut that off? I'm trying to study for the midterms."

"...It's the third week of classes."

"And your point?"

Ixahinon
2010-05-02, 11:37 PM
The people that came to pay tribute to his father's life was astounding. Someone passing by had mentioned that, by her count, the guest book had over two hundred signatures. Two hundred, that number was staggering to Shaddon. If he thought real hard, the college student - a junior - could barely count a dozen people he knew close. This included his family.

Of course, his father was a prominent police officer in life. Dad was the type of officer that had the power of life and death in his hands. Well, maybe that was stretching a bit, but it wasn't too much of one. Dad was a negotiator. Many times did he enter the scene, talking someone away from the idea of jumping off a cliff, or putting a bullet in the head of their hostage. Dad was the voice of reason for a man that had little reason to live, to continue on living. Shaddon often disagreed with his Dad's line of work, after listening to their cases, some people just didn't deserve to live. Take the bastard that gunned down his father, for example.

The lunatic was on the edge. His wife in one hand, a shotgun in the other, and the negotiator, not 15 feet away, trying to give him a reason to put down that weapon when - let's face it - there was no real reason at all. The lunatic had already taken four lives in one bank robbery, and now he was about to take his wife's. Why should someone plead for him to remain alive? Then, Dad said something wrong. A comment that would otherwise be innocent and harmless to the sane man, drew the lunatic into a rage. The result of that rage ended with buckshot driven into the chest of Dad....

"Your father was a great man, Shaddon. The lives he saved puts even the greatest people to shame. You should be proud of him." Shaddon didn't know who rested their hand upon his left shoulder, he didn't care. Shaddon had always been a quiet man, only speaking when he had to, and always speaking in a precise manner if he had to. However, now it was amplified, Shaddon had no wish to talk to anyone, he only wished to sit. "If you need someone to talk to, son...do not..

I'm not your son. Was all that Shaddon said, his pale blue eyes fixed upon his father's open casket. The man pulled his hand away from the shoulder, and silently walked off. Leaving Shaddon to his thoughts again.

Death should be just, Father. Why should someone who saved lives, die trying to save one that has no right to be saved? Why can't you be here...?

The reception hall was beginning to die out. Hundreds of people had come to talk to Dad's loved ones. His wife, his daughter, Shaddon. All of them offered their condolences, and many shared a good natured laugh, as Father would want it, and eventually, all of them had left...

...but Shaddon remained. Third Row from the casket, third seat from the aisle. His pale blues eyes unnervingly fixed upon the open casket.

russdm
2010-05-03, 01:07 PM
A man in a nice business suit walked along the streets in a bad alley. He stopped and paused at a door. Glancing around, he knocked in a certain pattern. The door opened and he went inside.

He found a man sitting at a table inside waiting for him.

"You're late, Dark." The man commented. Dark shrugged. "I was held up, took longer to get that item you wanted." He said in reply.

Dark reached into his pocket and pulled something out.

Frozen Messiah
2010-05-03, 04:36 PM
Across the sea a lightning strike hits a statue and a machine's eyes open...

The machine opens his eyes and becomes functional after 6 months of hibernation and he takes sometime to allow for all of his processes to begin functioning as they had before. He had suffered a massive amount of damage during the bombing that he used all of his reserve energy burying his ally. He stood there for three years after that day. His actions became folklore among the townsfolk and he had been christened the saint of the town by the townsfolk. He went through as much of his memory bank as possible but there were large pieces that were either corrupted or destroyed due to the lightning.

While he sat there people began to gather to see what was going on with their savior. One man stepped up towards the machine and began to preach the tale of Legion, protector of the weak. "Who do you speak of?" said the machine causing some of the people jump with surprise. "I speak of you and what you have done for our town, you helped us once and you must have come back to help us again." The man said to Legion as he pointed to Legions hand which held upon it the name "Legion".

"Very well than this is my duty and I shall do it." Legion said in response to the man,"Where is my weapon?". "It is held within our church, you may take it now if you wish." the man said and pointed to the church that was behind Legion. Legion moved slowly at first, much of the dirt that had accumulated on him fell of in his first few steps, but soon he was moving at a regular pace up the steps of the church. Inside on the altar his mace lay and he moved and grabbed it, instinctively understanding how to hold it and use it as if it were an extension of his arm.

"Wise man, you said I must be coming back to aid your community. If that is so what is it that plagues you?" Legion asks him as he walks back out to the crowd. "The land we farm has become barren after the bombing and we can no longer live here, this would be the issue that affects all of us and have prayed for someone to come and aid us." The man says to Legion before the get to the group of people that had gathered. "I know understand what i must do, I am here to find you new land to live upon. We shall travel no matter the distance to find new land for you and when it is found you may begin again and create a glorious future"

Hawker
2010-05-03, 10:36 PM
"How did you get the key to this place?" Adena asked Marc, one of her arsonist friends. They had loaded up on all the kerosene containers they needed, and were finally ready to do some burning.
"I told you," he replied, "I've got a friend with connections." He fumbled to find the keyhole in the dark, and Adena supplied illumination from the flickering flame of her lighter.
"Yeah, and how do you know you can trust your friend? How do you know you can trust his connections?" she asked. "This really is dangerous, what we're doing." She looked over her shoulder cautiously--no, nervously. Her right hand was shaking, and her left was twirling a red streak of hair anxiously.
"Look, Adena, do you want out?" Marc asked, with a tone of accusation. "Because I can dish out a little vigilante justice by myself, if you're afraid to." The deadbolt opened with a loud clunk.
Frowning, Adena pushed past him and opened the door into the dark safehouse. Stupid, she thought at herself. He knows just the right buttons to push. You always have to prove you're not a coward. "Let's get to it," she said aloud, and started spreading kero across the floor and onto the walls. In a place like this, you could figure the fire department could get here before any real damage was done to the surrounding area, but with just enough time--given proper placement of the fuel--to burn a building of this size to the ground.
When the kerosene containers were empty, Adena stepped back and struck a match. "Ready?" she asked Marc, who nodded in response. She took a deep breath. "One... Two... Three--" Just as she was about to let the match fall from her fingers, she heard the sound of a shotgun cocking behind her.

Ixahinon
2010-05-04, 08:05 PM
The reception area was empty for a half an hour, save for Shaddon, who didn't move from his spot even as the workers began to close the casket, and prepare it for burial. ....We have to go, Shad... The sound of Synthia's voice came before the sound of her high heels tapping against the wood floor. His sister's voice was always enough to break him out of even his deepest thoughts.

...I know. But he didn't move from his spot, as he started to sink back into the memories of his father. No one could know how close Shaddon was to his father but two people, his sister and his mother. Just as quick as he fell into his memories, he was pulled out once again by the gentle tug of his sister. I know it is hard, Shaddon. Probably harder for you than for even me...but..you have to believe...he is with God, now.

I do not believe that he is with God, Sister; for I do not believe there is a God. You shall believe what you will, but I can not believe in such a simple pathogen. Shaddon was often accused by everyone, even his family, of being nearly emotionless. It is quite often that students that spoke to him, and even professors would equate him to a mere robot with advanced AI: Vastly intelligent, but seemingly uncaring...about everything.

For ****'s sake, Shaddon, don't pull that emotionless bull**** with me. Not now, not when our father is dead! Even you can't be this cold...you simply can't. Synthia didn't simply place a hand on his shoulder now, she grabbed his arm and forced him out of his hardened shell of memories. The force startled the lithe male, his eyes wide and alert, just as if a child was just pulled from his secret spot just moments after robbers invaded his home. My name is Synthia, not Sister. I hope I'm not some...damn label to you, Shaddon. a soft sigh, as a single tear would fall from the porcelain face. I...I'm so...

Do not say it, Synthia, for there is no need. This loss has struck hard for both of us, not just myself. I apologize for the attack on your belief's, but you must accept that I do not follow the same ideals. I simply can not adopt a pathogen that says either you are good, and go here...or you are bad, and go there. Where is the fairness? What if a man of saintly proportions tripped up on a trivial 'sin?' Does that damn him? Is there not a Judge kind enough to examine the case that is his life more thoroughly? Rather than just notice the microscopic fleck of dirt on the perfection that is his soul, and immediately damn him to a 'hell.'

My Fathers soul is somewhere, dear Synthia, for that I am sure; but that is where our beliefs take a separate path. The tears merely proceeded to rush out of Synthia's face at an excelled rate. She knew that no comfort, or kind words would come from his brother, no matter how hard he tried. Though she knew his attempts were pure of heart, and she was grateful for them always, those attempts always came out as cold, and harsh.

Shaddon cared deeply for his father, she knew that; but it was so hard for her to fathom him even speaking such words on the state of his own father's afterlife. Then again, maybe he was right. Was she so willing to believe that their father was with God, simply because it instilled with her a 'happy ending?'

Religion was never a fun conversation with you, Shaddy. A soft giggle though the tears, as she leaned into her brother's arm, Let's agree to disagree on this, ok? Now, C'mon. The Funeral is tomorrow, and I need a friend to have a few drinks with. You know, to provide the nutrients needed to fill up the tear ducts again for tomorrow.

A nod, and a smile was seen upon Shaddon's face, as he walked with Synthia out to her car, resisting every urge to look back again upon the casket as they left. He knew it was best not to endulge that urge, for doing so would only make it harder to leave.

russdm
2010-05-04, 10:52 PM
Dark walked out of the building, flipping his fingers through the cash he know had. He smiled, happy that he had been paid. Another job done.

nysisobli
2010-05-06, 07:08 PM
Artul stepped out of the pool, it had been a rather cold swim today.

Looking around he thought to himself, this has been a long day, as he walked himself to the nearest starbucks, after drying off and getting dresses in his jogging suit.

He decided he wanted to have a coffee straight black like he used to drink.

Its been 5 long years he said to the man sitting at the table behind him.
So you recognized me huh? Its been a long time since we struck it rich selling arms illegally across the seas to the Mortani' organization

So why did you call me here if but for a drink?
I have a job for you he sits a briefcase on the table. this is the new state of the art altos missle, i want you to deliver it to my friend downtown, at 2612 s main. If you do this, he will see to it that your private water park stays open.

Without saying a word he reached across the table grabbed the briefcase and walked out.Easiest 100 thousand ive ever madeHe thought to himself.

Hawker
2010-05-06, 07:58 PM
"Son of a bitch," Marc said, raising his hands to his head. Without moving her match arm, Adena slowly turned her head to look behind her. She was sure not to make any sudden moves.

"Put it out," the man with the gun said. Not in any position to argue, Adena blew out the match. The man approached, grabbed her hand, and twisted her over onto her knees. She winced, it felt like her elbow was about to snap. The smell of kerosene invaded her nostrils as he brought her face to the fuel-soaked floor.
The man suddenly let go, and Adena pulled herself away and rolled around to face him. Marc was struggling to get a grip on the shotgun. "Marc!" she cried, and took out her lighter. After a split second of consideration, she desperately opened her bag and removed an aerosol hairspray can. She flicked the lighter open, producing a flame in one motion, and regarded the attacker. He had Marc knocked onto the ground, and was preparing to shoot. Adena gritted her teeth and took aim...

FWOOSH

The fumes in the room around them almost immediately ignited as she sprayed the aerosol can, creating a massive fireball that engulfed the mobster. As the flame hit him, he squeezed the trigger of the shotgun, reducing Marc's head to a bloody pulp.

For a moment, Adena could only look at Marc's body. For a moment, she didn't notice the burning man's screams. For a moment, she didn't notice that the flames had traveled from his body to the floor. The first thing she did notice was a flame creeping up Marc's leg. Her brain registered the fire, the screams, and the smell of burning flesh and kerosene, and it told her to run. Her feet remained planted for about a minute, and then she bolted, dropping everything except her lighter, and ran out the door. She kept running down the street, sprinting until her legs gave out under her.

Ixahinon
2010-05-06, 09:24 PM
He headed down the street, his hands stuffed in his funeral attire as he walked. Synthia had long since fallen into a deep slumber. He was unsure of whether it was the intoxication that put her into that blissful sleep, or the exhaustion spent from a few more hours of crying at the loss of their father. It didn't matter, the fact remained that Synthia was blessed with the company of sleep, while he stuggled in vain to obtain it. So, after tucking his beloved sister in to her bed, he gave her a kiss upon the forehead, and headed outside for a walk...to reflect.

It wasn't long before Shaddon was lost in his thoughts once again, and it was only sudden appearance of a figure sprawled out upon the sidewalk that managed to pull him out of them. Shaddon casually walked forward, curiosity driving his movements for the moment, until he got closer and began to smell the faint aroma of kerosene. Moving closer to the figure revealed the female form, panting for air, and with what seemed to be a look of shock upon her face.

Immediately, Shaddon knelt down, and put a hand upon her right arm gently, slowly nudging her backward, as if suggesting to her to roll over on her side. Without even noticing it, Shaddon began to take on at least a partial roll of his father's profession. Are you hurt, Ma'am? It smells as though you are soaked in a highly volatile fluid. Perhaps we should seek a way to cleanse you from the substance.

Hawker
2010-05-06, 09:38 PM
I killed him... That man, I killed him. I burned him to death. I stood by as he burned. I stood by as he killed Marc. I let him kill Marc. I killed Marc. I killed both of them. Marc is dead because I didn't stand my ground, I let him bully me into going in and burning that place. I told him it was dangerous. God, this is all my fault. I never wanted to kill anyone... I just wanted to--

As soon as Shaddon's hand touched her arm, Adena opened her eyes, slipping from her own thoughts back into the dark night. She rolled over onto her back and slowly sat up. She blinked several times to try and get the image of Marc's body surrounded by flames out of her mind. After a moment, she seemed to notice the man kneeling over her. "What... Who are you?" she asked Shaddon, pulling away slightly.

russdm
2010-05-06, 09:46 PM
The building that Dark had left several minutes ago exploded. He turned to regard it cheerfully. Dark smiled, "Should have sent someone more skilled to kill me shouldn't you?" He quipped amusedly.

Ixahinon
2010-05-06, 10:06 PM
A man that has come across your delimma, it seems. I am called Shaddon. Are you able to stand? We should probably move to a more comfortable location. If you don't mind, I would rather that I went with you, until I know that you are capable of continuing on your own.

As the woman sat up, Shaddon was quick to let go, to give the girl her space, and adapt to her predicament accordingly. He did not, however, move any further back than he was beforehand.

Shaddon was about to ask another question, but that was before he looked up a bit, and notice an orange lighting in the not to distant horizon. The orange light would fluctuate from bright to dim until finally the glimpse of flames licking the night sky could have been seen. The sound of sirens in the distance, as well as a firetruck speeding past them only confirmed that there was a fire in the distance.

It was then that Shaddon put two and two together. The building that burns now, I can only assume you emerged from it? I trust you are not burned in any way? Once again starting to look her over for signs of burned clothing.

Hawker
2010-05-06, 10:25 PM
Adena's stomach sank. If he found out that she was the person who burned it, who knew what he would do? I need to get rid of this kero smell, the girl thought, trying to avoid imagining Marc's corpse. She obviously couldn't trust this man, not without knowing him. She swallowed and put her hand over her pocket where her lighter rested, not answering his second question. "I'm Adena," she said, gazing out at the flaming building. She tried to stand, but her feet gave out again. She caught herself on his arm and apologized with a grimace. "What district of the city is this? I have no idea where I am... I live downtown."

Ixahinon
2010-05-06, 10:55 PM
Shaddon was quick to catch her, his other hand coming over to embrace her in a 'hug' of sorts, so that she did not roll out of his grasp and back to the ground. The man then proceeded to lift her up, allowing her to support her weight on him, until she was able to support her body once again. You are within a residential district a few miles from downtown, Adena. There is a subway station not too far from here, if you wish.

There was something not being told here, and Shaddon was aware of it, but his father always told him that sometimes you have to wait for answers on their terms, not yours. Shock, Distrust, Temporary Amnesia...they all play a part in the grand scheme of things. For now, Shaddon worked with the first major step: Establishing the grounds for trust. Perhaps you can remove some of the kerosene from your skin within one of the subways facilities.

Hawker
2010-05-06, 11:12 PM
"Yeah... Yeah, that's a good idea..." The man seemed nice enough, if his manner of speaking was a little odd. She slowly let go of his arm and managed to weakly stand on her own. "I think I can walk," she said, "but I'll probably need help getting down the stairs to the station. Would you mind? I mean, I'm not expecting you to... You probably think I'm some kind of a freak, huh?" She started stumbling along the sidewalk toward the subway, turning her eyes from the burning building in the distance toward Shaddon.

What's going to happen when they find the bodies? What if it gets traced to me? No, they're mobsters, they'll pin it on that. Won't they?

Ixahinon
2010-05-06, 11:47 PM
I do not think that is the term I would use. Shaddon remained slightly behind the girl, but still close enough to appear as though they were walking together. This was merely to be in a position to catch her, should she get a sudden lose of strength within a leg. I would be happy to assist.

There was a few minutes of silence between the two as they walked. Shaddon inquisitive mind trying so hard not to pry into the oddity of the situation, to follow his father's rules as a police negotiator and give them their space to speak on their terms...but it eventually broke down into failure. I am sorry to pry, Adena, but I wish to inquire as to what brought you to the sidewalk of this district, sprawled out upon the ground?

russdm
2010-05-06, 11:55 PM
After turning a street corner, Dark encountered two people, a woman and man. Dark stopped as they approached him. "Well now, what do we have here?" He commented. He regarded the woman, sure he recognized her. The mob boss's client? If so, he was probably dead; the man lacked patience and was too stupid.

Hawker
2010-05-07, 04:34 PM
Adena shook her head. She couldn't tell him about what happened, and obviously he wasn't going to stop asking. People are naturally curious, and naturally suspicious, as well. She looked at him, making eye contact. Maybe she could trust him? "I was..."

Adena broke eye contact, and lied. "I was going to commit suicide. I was going to burn myself." She really wanted to tell Shaddon the truth, to trust him, but she just met the man. He would probably just report her to the police. "I was about to do it, and I just.... couldn't. I collapsed."

Frozen Messiah
2010-05-07, 07:39 PM
Legion walks in front of all of the townsfolk who follow him. They have been walking for days with little rest. "Legion you must let us rest, we are tired and hungry, please stop for a moment. It is nearly night fall and travelling then is dangerous." A woman holding a baby pleaded him. Legion looked at her for a moment and than nodded and stopped dead in his tracks. "Spread the word." Legion said to her and she nodded frantically at him an than ran off shouting along the line "STOP, STOP, WE MAY REST NOW, LEGION HAS SAID IT, SIT AND REST..." and legion watched her on her way until he lost sight of her. At that point Legion looked over to his right and saw the sun was setting he remembered that this meant that they should stop for the day.

Legion sat on a hill so that he was able to look at all of the townsfolk and watch them. To pass the time he began to count, 4235 people in the line, 175 are the young ones, 205 are children, and 145 are the elderly. Suddenly a small child come up to him and disrupts his counting she looks at him with curious eyes. She is holding a stuffed bear from her right hand; she is wearing a simple blue dress and some strong shoes. She says nothing to Legion but takes three steps up towards him and holds out her bear to him. Legion slowly raises his hands and lightly grabs it, the stuffed bear looks small in his hands. The little girl then grabs his hand before he can say anything grabs his hand and pulls at him, Legion does not move trying to figure out what she is trying to do. He then stands up and let's her lead him down the hill to the community.

He walks into the makeshift town the people have made and the first thing that he sees is a women, not the one from sundown but a new one, who is asking around frantically about her child and where she has gone to. The woman looks over at Legion and the girl who is holding one of his fingers in her tiny hand. She then comes over and grabs the girl in her arms as relief flows over her. "Thank you for finding her, I hope she didn't trouble you in any way." The woman says. "No, she didn't." Legion responds and then tries to give back her bear to her but she doesn't want to take it. "I think it's a gift to you. She wants you to have it." the women says with a small smile on her face, "Come to the main fire, we would love to have you there." Legion looks at the bear and than nods at the woman.

They both walk to the center of the gathering where a large fire pit has been made and the folk of the town are taking turns telling stories or singing songs or playing an instrument. When legion walks into the circle there is a silence for a moment as they all watch what he does next. Legion sits down as all the rest and a cheer among all of them erupts. They than continue on with their story. At one point in the night he is called Legion is called to the stage where he is asked to tell them his story. He knew no story other than the story that he experienced. So he told them the entire story that they all knew but had never heard from him. They all sat in rapt attention as he spoke and the fire pit went quiet, and then more and more of the community became quiet as they all started to gather to hear the story.

russdm
2010-05-09, 06:41 PM
Dark walks up to Adena and Shaddon. He says nothing though.

Ixahinon
2010-05-09, 08:04 PM
Unlikely. was all that he said, as he managed to embrace her on his shoulder, and was proceeding to walk forward. Shaddon was not in the law department, and only had to go off what is Father told him, but even his common sense told him that did not add up.

She was on a random sidewalk, soaked in kerosene, and weak in the legs. On top of that, Adena said she had lived downtown, and had no idea where she was. It did not make sense to commit suicide in a place you have no affiliation with, in the middle of night, and do it with kerosene and a match.Statistically, the female sex commits suicide in more subtler ways. Slow acting methods such as poison, or pill...this is believed to be because the female sex wishes to 'cry out' before their death. In short, they want to be saved.

You do not have to tell me the reasons you here, Adena, but know that your excuse does not have me swayed. What a delight this man was, no? His intention was to tell her that she didn't have to tell him anything she didn't want to, and that Shaddon would still assist her. It came out as 'Don't lie to me, woman. Now let's go.'

Before Shaddon and Adena made it too far, they ran into the man before them. Shaddon would make a few attempts to get around the man, but (Presumably) the man would prevent any form of advancement. Finally, Shaddon stood up, adjusting Adena so that she was not leaning too much, but also allowing her to pull away should he get her strength back.

Excuse me, sir. Would you kindly move out of our path. We must get his woman to her desired destination.

InyutheBeatIs
2010-05-09, 10:30 PM
Noctis D'ahlver, he wasn't always called by that name. Sometimes he was called by such names as "Shade" or "Raven" or even, on one particularly memorable occasion, "C-92". But in the end, he was always Noctis D'ahlver, the pride of the upper echelons of his nation. He was a spy, had been for some time. Often considered to be the best in the business, and anyone who somehow aqcuired his dossier would have to agree. He handled some of the most sensitive information in the world, infiltrated some of the most air-tight governments known to history, and affected the very roots of the political world, roots some have never even concieved could exist. It was said amongst the highest of the upper echelons that a single stray word from Noctis would change the political landscape forever.

That almost happened, and it wouldn't have just been a stray word.

He was sent to "take care of" a foreign Prime Minister who knew too much about a deal Noctis's country was involved in. He got to his target after mearly a week, this particular case seeming like it would be forgetful compared to the other tasks he had been given. But then, just before Noctis was going to kill him, the Prime Minister started to talk. What he talked about shocked Noctis. The Prime Minister seemed to know more about Noctis's nation than he did, and that was saying a lot. What the Prime minister talked about sunk deep into Noctis. He talked about things that were eerily similar to the circumstances surrounding the other loose ends Noctis was sent to tie up. For the first time in years, no, decades, Noctis was scared.

After the World War III scare passed, Noctis met with an independent reporter. The reporter was interested in what Noctis had to say about the activities the government had been involved in, hoping to get an inside scoop that would make him famous. Noctis was just interested in revealing what he knew to the public, in hopes of uniting the world somehow.

Of course, he never got to tell anything to anyone. The government knew what he knew, and what he was capable of. So, they tried to take him out, make it look like an accident. Noctis was hit by what appeared to be a tour bus with bad brakes. It was intended to kill him, only it didn't.

It would be six months next Wednesday since that happened. The whole time he had been in a coma, the only thing indicating that he was alive was the constant beeping of machinery, ever analysing his vital statistics. The only reason the government hadn't finished the job was because they were devoting their resources to maintaining the feeling that they wanted peace. They also didn't want some of the members of the upper echelon that were close to Noctis to suspect foul play and do anything... rash. To everyone on the outside, he might as well have been dead. But from his perspective, to say things were different would be an understatement...

(OOC: More is coming up. Just wanna get the basic background down for now. I hope I am not intruding on anything you were thinking for the setting Armin. If I am, I will gladly change it.)

Edit: Realized a century was 100 years, changed it to decades. :smallsigh:

russdm
2010-05-10, 12:59 PM
Dark shrugged. "Then by all means. I hope you don't mind if I tag along." Dark said.

Hawker
2010-05-10, 07:07 PM
Great, who's this guy? Adena sighed. She regarded Dark and shook her head. Some creep appearing out of nowhere in a city street, and then making the decision to follow you around? Sounded like a mugger to her. She weakly fumbled into her pocket and held onto her phone, ready to call 911 if the need arose. Then again... She *did* just commit a pretty major felony. Well, this is wonderful, she thought, best friend is dead, too weak to stand, too guilty to call the cops, and now I'm about to get mugged. And on top of that, I'm a murderer. She grabbed Shaddon's arm and shook her head, almost imperceptibly. She wasn't exactly in a position to tell this guy off, but perhaps he could.

On the other hand... How could she be sure Shaddon wasn't a mugger, or some sort of sociopathic killer? She had just blindly gone with him... Granted, until now there were no witnesses on the street, he could have just robbed her right there when he found her... That was reassuring to think, but the idea itself certainly didn't help her to trust him.

InyutheBeatIs
2010-05-10, 08:22 PM
A fairly well dressed man with hardened features and graying hair sits at a table just outside of a café. His brown eyes are lost in thought, thinking about what happened yesterday, or at least what seemed like yesterday. In this odd place, it was hard to tell day from night, let alone how much time has passed. Intuition seemed to become a sixth sense in this place, one more reliable than even sight at times.

Almost on queue, a prime example of just how weird “normal” is in this place shows up. A figure as black as night flies down next to the table Noctis was sitting in. After the figure plants itself on the ground, it can be seen that it was a humanoid figure made of crows, although not in a haphazard “stitched together” sense, and much more in an organic sense. Noctis knew why this particular being, a “yatagarasu” named C-92, came, as he had come many times during Noctis’s involuntary stay, teaching him about this world and how to manipulate and survive in it. This particular case was probably about what happened the day before…

Ixahinon
2010-05-10, 10:21 PM
He wasted no time moving forward towards the nearby subway station, despite hearing such an odd request from the stranger. Of course, Shaddon was not about to ignore the question. He was not blind to the severity of the issue, for he wasn't so sure this was a man that was merely looking to mug two people for the price of one. As a matter of fact, I do mind. This young lady simply needs to get home, and get some rest, nothing more. As the subway is my destination, and it is rather occupied even at this time of night, she is in safe hands.

As it stands now, I suspect the lady is uncomfortable with even my presence, let alone yours. It would be best if you simply remove yourself from the situation.

The subway was within sight, no more than a minute's walk away at their current speed.

russdm
2010-05-11, 11:25 AM
Dark shrugged. "Suit yourself. That blown up building did so nicely. And the guy who owned it, dangerous once upon a time. Poor Mobby. So long then." Dark said. He walked off, heading down a side street from Adena and Shaddon. After getting far enough away, he smiled to himself.

ArlEammon
2010-05-11, 09:51 PM
((Now everyone has a new turn except for the newest player. If you aren't done, then just act as if you are currently posting in the past))

Hawker
2010-05-11, 10:40 PM
"Thanks," Adena said to Shaddon when Dark had left. He was talking about mobsters? He couldn't know, could he? It only just happened. She looked around nervously, making sure he was gone.

Adena continued walking with Shaddon in silence, occasionally grabbing his arm for support. She could see the subway station, just a block away. After regarding him for a moment, Adena took a deep breath. She stopped walking and looked the other man in the eyes. Despite her current state of weakness, her gaze was fierce and fiery.

"I've been thinking, ever since you found me, whether or not I can trust you. I decided I couldn't, and I lied about what I was doing out here. You saw through it, though. I still don't trust you, but... I guess I feel like I owe it to you to tell you how I got here. You've helped me selflessly this far, and I don't care how you react to what I am about to tell you, even if your reaction is to call the cops." Adena took another deep breath and paused. "I... I'm an arsonist. I have a small group, and we burn things. Not randomly, we select a target every month and burn it to the ground. Usually we pick a criminal target. 'Vigilante justice,' Marc calls it." She cast her eyes to the ground. "Used to call it." It hurt to think about him, especially in the past tense. She looked back up, matching Shaddon's gaze more intensely than before. "The worst we ever got was burning down a minor drug runner's front, but--" It was hard to avoid Marc's name. "-- This time, one of us suggested a mob hideout, a so-called safehouse. He got a hold of a key, and I brought the kero. While we were doing the job, a man came in, and..." She paused, fighting back a tear. Once she was sure her eyes would stay dry, she continued. "Long story short, he's... He's... He's dead, and I burned the man who killed him to death." Adena took a step back from Shaddon, struggling to balance, and wary of how he might react. "I'm a murderer."

InyutheBeatIs
2010-05-12, 01:03 AM
(The following events happened the day before the present day.)

“Mr. D’ahlver,” C-92 said, “there is a woman outside who wanted to talk to you.” Noctis got up out of his chair and went to grab a jacket, feeling that he might need it later. “Really?” Noctis replied, “Did she say why she wanted me?” C-92 shook his head after sipping a cup of coffee. In reality, you would have to wonder how he could do so, considering he has a beak instead of a mouth. But after seemingly an eternity in a place where details like these are apparently ignored, you get used to it. “She only said it was regarding your ‘ascension’ and your role in this world. She wouldn’t elaborate on that statement however. My advice would be to exercise caution; this situation reminds me too much of the time that four-headed ogre almost ate us.” Noctis couldn’t help but chuckle at the statement, “You always say that,” he said while putting on a sophisticated looking jacket, “but don’t worry, I will be careful.” Even if he were attacked, he thought, he could simply will a weapon into existence. That at least was one good thing about being in this place.

Noctis walked outside of a fairly quaint and old looking house into a rolling plain of grass as far as the eye can see. The only thing disturbing the endlessness is a lone gothic-looking clock tower standing against an overcast sky. Noctis walked over to that clock tower. After some time, he saw a woman standing by the tower. She was a brown eyed, fair-featured woman with long, brown hair seemingly in her 20’s. She was dressed in dull, fairly form-fitting, wizardly attire, and carried a silver staff with an emerald being clasped by a wild cat and a bird of prey. She had a serious look on her face, as if she were given the responsibility of what the future will bring.

Ixahinon
2010-05-12, 06:34 PM
Pale blue eyes watched Adena with a seeming uncaring look upon them. There was perhaps ten seconds of silence after the girl was done speaking. A lesser man might think that he was speechless for those few seconds, trying to compensate for the bombshell that was dropped upon him.

Yet, after those ten seconds were up, Shaddon simply politely gestured for Adena to continue her journey with him to the subway station. There was even a gentle hint of a smile upon his face, the first sign of emotion Adena had seen on this man since the moment they met. Shaddon forced this smile simply because he knew that it would instill a bit more assurance within the lady, thus allowing her to walk with him again.

Come, You are in need of rest. Inside, Shaddon was conflicted with a wide varieties of answers to this situation. Shaddon did not condone murder, he was not some vigilante that sought justice through his own ways, and for this is, would to judge Adena guilty for the murder. However, she did murder a murderer, and to quote from a book he so despised 'An eye for an eye.' This, coupled with the relative closeness in story with Shaddon's own father, the man was also very forgiving. Adena, just like he, just lost a loved one to the face of crime...it did not matter how that act came about: Through negotiating for one's life, or through arson...the end result was the same.

Vigilante Justice has it's own high price to pay, Adena. I believe both you, and your friend has paid it in full. It is unfortunate that your friend's debt was so much higher than your own.

russdm
2010-05-12, 07:04 PM
Dark Fire walked down the street. He pulled out a cigarette and lit it. He smiled as he thought about the expression the mob boss had when he died thanks to Dark's bomb. "Old fool should have hired someone to kill me that could have gotten the job done." He muttered.

Hawker
2010-05-12, 07:39 PM
[Adena and Shaddon--Like Fire and Ice]

Adena stared in Shaddon's cold eyes for a few more seconds before continuing toward the subway station. For some reason, his piercing gaze did not discomfort her. She was startled that he reacted so coolly, but from what she had seen of this man, he probably wouldn't even be phased by his own death. Unsure what to say from here, she managed a "Thanks for understanding, I guess." Any minute now he'd whip out a cell phone and call the cops. Hell, he probably was a cop, with that emotionless stare. Maybe he was a robot; Adena had heard about androids, and if she had one guess as to what they would be like, Shaddon would be a perfect fit. No, that couldn't be, his arm was warm like a flesh-and-blood human's.

When she looked up from her own train of irrational speculation, Adena realized that they had reached the station. She allowed Shaddon to help her down the stairs, and then turned to him. "Will you wait?" she asked. "I'm gonna go see if I can't get cleaned up."

InyutheBeatIs
2010-05-12, 08:21 PM
(This is continued from my last post, so all of this is still happening the day before the present day)

She noticed Noctis as he walked up to her. “I suppose you are Noctis D’ahlver.” she said more as a statement of fact than a question. “I am,” he replied, “and who do I have the pleasure of meeting?” “I am often called Shara, if I am to be called anything, so you may call me by that name.” Noctis readjusts himself into a subtle fighting stance, preparing for the worst-case scenario. “Alright Shara,” he said, “what is it exactly that you wanted to talk to me about?” “It isn’t so much what I wanted to talk to you about,” Shara said, keeping the same serious look on her face, “so much as what I wanted to make sure of.” “Well,” Noctis said with a small grin and a hand motioning in a sort of “here I am” gesture, “I hope that you have found me to your satisfaction. However, I don’t understand what exactly you wanted to make sure of, and what it has to do with me.” Shara paused. “I want to be sure of what role you will play in this world, and the world parallel to it.” “What do you mean by ‘role’?” Noctis said, a confused look aimed at Shara, “and what do you mean, ‘the world parallel’ to this one?” Shara’s face became one of slight surprise and criticism. “I take it you do not understand where you are then? I am surprised, considering how long you have been here” Without waiting for a reply, she said, “You are asleep, Noctis. You have been in the world of dreams for almost six months now.” Noctis, shocked, replied, “Asleep? But I thought I was…” “Dead? No. You are not dead, merely in a coma. Of course, that doesn’t mean the incident didn’t do great damage to your body, but that is beside the point.”

Shara then turns to her right, and motions with her hand towards the endless plains, now shifting from grass to desert, tundra, and even volcanic rock. Strange creatures and manifestations of ideas populate the sky. “Do you see all of this Noctis?”, Shara said, “This is the manifestation of the unconscious psyche. Countless sentient beings live in this realm while they sleep, living a second life according to the will of the hidden conscious. Some, like you, have learned to control this realm. However, most don’t learn to control it to quite the extent you have. The collective knows this. It also knows that something is coming that humanity has not expected, something grand, something epic… something godlike. But it is not sure what exactly. It feels that your presence here and this oncoming event is not a coincidence. That is why it has shown such an interest in you, and your capabilities, and that is why I am here.”

“That is a splendid story, if a little hard to swallow all at once,” Noctis said, the confusion on his face turning into a mix of disbelief and wonderment, “but you still have yet to answer my question regarding my ‘role’.” Raising an eyebrow in mock annoyance, Shara replied, “That is because it will be revealed to you at a later time. Know for now only that you will be tested to determine it.” “When?” Noctis asked. “…Soon, very soon… Noctis D’ahlver.” Shara turned suddenly to give Noctis a swift (and blunt) farewell, but just as she faced him, a sawed-off shotgun was shoved into her face, with Noctis at the other end, holding it with his left hand. He was all too familiar with creatures trying to lure hapless fools into their bellies with lies of fortune and fame, and he was not going to meet such a ridiculous end. “If you want to try and kill me, my lady,” Noctis said tersely, “I would suggest you get on with it already instead of wasting my time with nonsense about gods!” “Put that crude device away, NOW!!” commanded Shara, “I have no intention of killing you. I am a guide formed from your desire to understand this place, not a rogue thought of killing made manifest! If I were to harm you I would be harmed at the same time!” Noctis approached her, shotgun pressed up against her chin, “Give me one, just ONE reason why I should believe you! ANY reason at all!!” Shara then pulled a knife from her belt and sliced Noctis’s left wrist, causing him to step back from the shock. Just before squeezing off a shot aimed at her head however, Noctis noticed her holding up her left wrist. It was bleeding at the same rate as his cut was, and it was the same stroke as his was. You lucky little girl, Noctis thought. “Alright, you convinced me, for now.” Shara then recomposed herself in her normal, cold, almost robotic way. “Very well Noctis, if you are satisfied, then I shall leave. Always be aware of what may lie ahead, at your sides, and at your back. Your test may come at any time the collective wishes, and it would be best if you were prepared when the time comes.” Shara then turned to the clock tower, and walked into it. Not through a door or an archway or any other passage, just right through the wall. Just like that, both her and the clock tower were gone, Noctis suddenly at the doorstep of his home. His home however had changed a little, the décor being more gothic than quaint now. At least the changes made sense now… sort of. Noctis went inside, preparing himself for what may lie ahead…

russdm
2010-05-12, 08:27 PM
Dark walked up to the subway station. It was time to head home. He saw Shaddon and walked past him, smirking. He continued on and bought a ticket. He then went onto the platform to wait for the subway to take him where he needed to go.

Ixahinon
2010-05-12, 09:34 PM
Shaddon remained outside the door to the subway's female bathroom facilities, looking around the area as Adena moved to clean off the smell of kerosene from her body. I shall await your return.

The absence of Adena started to give Shaddon time to reflect on what is happening, the conflict of emotions that coursed through his body. Disgust in that someone was able to kill another person, along with a small bit of shock. Sympathy in the form of the loss of a friend.

Still, the emotion that hung Shaddon up the most was, of all things, envy. A part of him wondered what it would have felt like to watch the person that killed the one you loved die in front of your eyes. The sense of closure had to be satisfying, wouldn't it?

Shaddon was about to explore that feeling a bit more, before he caught the form of the man he met previously outside the subway station. The man spoke about the very type of people Adena burned, did he not? He couldn't quite place why this man had an interest in expressing this stuff at that point in time. Did he know something? Was it a subtle threat?

Hawker
2010-05-13, 07:24 PM
Adena washed most of the kerosene off her skin at a sink, and found a black sweatshirt with a ribcage pattern on the front that someone had left behind, hanging on a stall door. It smelled fine, freshly washed, even, and it fit well, so she put it on and dropped her fuel-soaked shirt in the garbage. She moved her lighter from her jeans pocket to the front pocket of the sweatshirt, and looked at herself in the mirror. Her hair and pants still carried the fumes, but now that her shirt was clean, it wasn't too bad. Plus, she was pretty much strong enough to stand now.

She walked out of the restroom and met Shaddon. "Hey. I think I'm all set to go home on my own, but... Is there any way I can get in touch with you again? Cell or something? You're the only person who knows about what happened tonight, and, unless the cops already know, I'd like to keep it that way. So, just in case..." She trailed off, waiting for a response.

InyutheBeatIs
2010-05-14, 04:40 PM
(OOC: Here is the rest of the prologue. I broke it up into several spoilers to avoid the wall of text effect. Enjoy!)

Meanwhile, back in the present time, C-92 is standing next to a café table that Noctis is sitting at. “Mr. D’ahlver,” C-92 says, looking at Noctis with his crimson eyes, “there appears to be a matter that could use your attention.” Noctis looked up from his tea and said, “Why do you think it could use my attention, 9?” “I am not sure, I just had a feeling that whatever it is, it might have something to do with what Shara was talking to you about yesterday.” Noctis sighed, “Well, I guess we can toss the theory that she was pulling some kind of prank out the window.” Noctis got up from his chair and said, “Let’s hope that this doesn’t kill me, whatever it is.” “I will fly you over to the where the situation is.” said C-92. C-92 grasped Noctis around his waist, then flew off in the northwesterly direction. He flew so fast that the ground was nothing but a blur, and in a few short moments, he landed. The area looked like a once-bustling city that had been bombed into obliteration, leaving crumbling buildings and hopelessly damaged pavement in its wake.

“That is the matter that requires your attention.” said C-92, nodding towards an object in the distance. Noctis took out a telescope to see the object. Standing a few blocks away, looking around searching for something, is a smug looking, pale young man with silver hair, dressed in Napoleonic attire, complete with flowing red cape. “Certainly looks like he could use being taught some manners, doesn’t he?” quipped Noctis. “Well, I suppose this is my fight and my fight alone, 9. Stay here until I get back.” Noctis looked to C-92 thoughtfully, ”I just want to say thank you for everything you have done. You have been a good friend to me.” C-92’s face seemed to reflect this feeling, “May your wings not lose a single feather on your flight back to your nest.” It was a Yatagarasu expression, it basically meant, “come back in one piece”. “I will make sure of that, I promise.”
Noctis walked towards the smug young emperor, cautious of what sort of tricks he might pull. When Noctis got within a few yards of him, the emperor wheeled around to face him. “Well, well, well, if it isn’t Noctis D’ahlver, the chosen one.” he said, every word dripping with sarcasm. “I’ve been waiting for you all DAY!!! Don’t you know it’s rude to keep people waiting?” It hadn’t been 10 seconds, and this brat was already grating on Noctis’s nerves. “How do you know my name? Are you with…” Noctis began, but was cut short abruptly by a scream of shock and rage. “SILENCE PEASANT!!!! Don’t EVER interrupt me again, DO YOU UNDERSTAND?!?!” Noctis winced and took a step back at the sudden outburst. Every inch of the emperor’s body seemed to seethe with the kind of rage only a spoiled king could muster. After regaining his composure, he said, “Well, now that you seem to know your place, you should know who you are talking to.” He then struck a noble, self-gratifying pose. “I am the manifestation of the leader, the man who is willing to put down those too pathetic to rule! I am nobility incarnate! Every word that comes out of my mouth is law. The stupid people adore me even as I take from them their precious freedoms. How truly pathetic they are!” He laughs to himself, and then begins to walk towards Noctis, embellishing his words with hand movements. “I am the one thing you sought to expose, the same thing that tried to kill you in the end. Every time that you swept dirt under the rug of politics, you swept it under my will. All of the cover-ups, the assassinations, the backstabbing deals, the destruction of experimental technology, EVERYTHING you have ever done for your country, I told you to do, one way or the other.” He circled around Noctis, whispering into his ears, every word dripping with the acid of cruelty. “I am the one that used you to accomplish my goals, chosen one. You exist because of me, and you exist to serve me as my tool. You always have been, and you always will be. And do you know what happens to tools that become defective, or worse, hurt the hand that wields them? They get destroyed, tossed aside as trash, just as you will, you pathetic, little, magg…”

He didn’t get to finish that sentence before Noctis turned around and punched him square in the nose, knocking him to the cracked cement. “Let me make one thing clear, brat,” Noctis said with righteous rage, “I am not a tool to be used by spoiled little pieces of **** like you who want to play the all-knowing all-seeing tyrant!” The brat lies there, whimpering on the ground like a kicked puppy, feeling his now broken nose and staring at the blood caused from the punch. After he manages to come back to the situation at hand, and just as Noctis was walking away, thinking he had passed his test, the tyrant stands up, an insane look on his face. “Play tyrant? Play tyrant?! PLAY TYRANT?!?!” His eyes grew wider with insanity every time he repeated that phrase. “I AM NOT PLAYING TYRANT!!! I!! AM!! THE TYRANT!!!!”
The tyrant turns around with a flourish and starts running into the wreckage of the city, screaming “COME TO ME, YOU PATHETIC WORMS!!! COME TO ME!!!” In the distance, a bell inside of a clock tower chimes once, and the clock hands start to make their way around the face, starting with all hands on 12:00. Noctis runs after him, but barely a yard into it, he runs into a block in the road as high as a five-story building, with no usable side streets in sight. Noctis wills himself to jump over the blockade and does so, going at a dead run the instant he hit the pavement. The scenery changes into that of some kind of large palace, with enough room to drive a car in. He sees the tyrant running towards a hearse, chains coming out of it with skulls of all kinds at the ends and spikes along the chain. The tyrant manages to get in the hearse, peeling away to the sound of unholy screaming. In the corner of the room is an old clock, the hands showing 2:15. Noctis sees a brown horse, fully tacked up with riding gear, and hops on it, kicks it in the sides and heads on after the hearse. However, the horse isn’t going fast enough.

As Noctis wills for the horse to go faster, the horse changes considerably. He starts to turn black, then his mane and tail spontaneously combust, then the hair around his hooves and eventually the hooves themselves become engulfed in flames. On his head is donned a chrome helmet in the shape of a horse’s skull, with two small horns coming out near the ears, the eye sockets showing two flaming red eyes filled with rage. The most significant change was coming out of the horse’s flanks, namely, a set of chrome tailpipes belching out smoke, same as the horse’s nostrils were. He is running so fast that sparks fly around its hooves, catching up to the hearse in a matter of moments.

Noctis pulls out a revolver and aims for the driver’s side window, shooting once when he gets an aim on where the head would be. The hearse spins out of control and crashes, but when Noctis pulled the nightmare horse around to head towards the wreckage, it was gone. Moments later, a locomotive rushes past Noctis with the tyrant in it, revealing a clock with the hands showing 4:25. He turns the horse around and kicks him in the sides, attempting to chase after the locomotive. However, their way had apparently been blocked by what appeared to be some kind of red string woven across two pillars, the string reaching up to about 15 feet. The horse simply charged at it, seeking to leap over it. He almost made it completely over the top, but just as it was coming down to the ground, his back hoof clipped the string, instantly setting it and the palace on fire. This agitated what appeared to be the cause of the string, a spider made almost completely out of barbed wire and red tape. The horse made a beeline for an open doorway, and when it reached it, he threw Noctis off of his back. When Noctis got up and went to get back on the horse he flicked his head at the doorway and started shoving Noctis towards it, telling him to go through there and chase the tyrant. “Alright, alright, I get the message.” Noctis went through the doorway and closed the door. Just before he did though, he saw the horse pin his ears back and attack the spider with an uncanny rage. Above the horse seemed to be a clock, its hands showing 6:30.

Noctis found himself in a courtyard of some sort, with a fountain made of marble right in the middle, depicting the very tyrant he was chasing, he thought. The whole courtyard seemed to be centered on this fountain, fitting considering his personality. He saw the tyrant running along the left side of the fountain, running towards an archway flanked by two gold-accented statues depicting ancient warriors wielding some kind of club. “DON’T JUST STAND THERE YOU WORTHLESS MAGGOTS!!! STOP HIM!!!” he shrieked just as he was running through the archway, the statues coming to life for no apparent reason, and walked towards Noctis. Thinking quickly, Noctis formed a rocket launcher out of the fountain, as well as a rocket, and took aim and fired at the one on his right, destroying it in one shot. However, before he could form a second rocket, the other statue was nearly on top of him, so he changed the rocket launcher into a two-handed sword, and thrust it into the statue’s chest. The statue then faded into ash and was blown away, reuniting with the ectoplasm that it was made from. Noctis looked at the sword and said, “Well, it’s a good thing I don’t usually use one of these. People might think I am overcompensating for something.” He tossed it aside and formed a small pistol in his hand before moving through the archway after the tyrant. Above the archway was a large clock made of ivory, the hands showing 8:45. When he could see the other side, what he saw was a grassy plain broken by a bottomless pit, with another grassy plain on the other side. A stone bridge connected both sides. One door unattached to any sort of building stood in line with the bridge. Noctis walked across the bridge and to the door. The door was completely white, with twisted indigo letters across it saying, “THE TIME OF THE CORNERSTONE IS NIGH”. He grabbed the doorknob and twisted it and, with gun at the fore, walked through the door...
Noctis walked into a fairly large, off-white room. It gave the feeling of sanctity, what with the vaulted ceilings covered with art depicting the acts of various world-changing events, and stained-glass windows depicting aspects of humanity, both good and bad. On the marble floor was a dark gold line that came out of the doorway, split in the middle of the room into three lines, two of which went into the corners on the opposite side of the room, while the third went directly across, going into another door. Above the door was a large black clock with several gears exposed, implying that this place was the inside of a clock tower. The clock itself showed 10:50. Noctis noticed almost the instant he walked in that the gun in his hand dissipated. He cursed when he found that he could not manipulate the dream world in this place, leaving him at the mercy of whatever was coming next. However he noticed three objects of interest on the other side of the clock tower.

First, he walked over to an object in the right corner. He found that it looked like some kind of altar, skulls, axes, and various other symbols of brutality and war carved into volcanic rock. On the altar was a black box, on the front was a stylized image of a sword, just above it an LED screen with green numbers that read, “0:10”. A bomb, Noctis thought. A sort of vision came to him as he was examining it. It started with a roar of the crowd, praising a hero’s name, followed by the clashing of swords, the rattle of guns, booming explosions, the cracking of whips, and the overall feeling of glorious and bloody conquest.

After the vision was over, Noctis cleared his head of the brutal imagery and walked over to the door. It was a plain door as white as snow, giving a feeling of serenity. Like with the altar, Noctis received a vision while examining the door. It was the singing of the choir, a holy sound, praising peace and love, and providing a feeling of perfection. As the song continued however, a battle cry could be heard in the background, becoming louder and louder as the song dragged on, until suddenly, all sound comes abruptly to an end with a sharp bang, leaving a feeling of lonely silence and death where happiness used to be. After shaking the chilling feeling left behind by the vision, Noctis noticed an object in the left corner of the room, pointed out by the left-going line.

It was different from the other two. It was a gray pistol with a silencer screwed in at the front, lying unceremoniously on the floor. The lines and edges of the gun were licked by shadows of unknown source constantly. In the handle was carved dark blue runes, the runes meaning “stealth”. Just like with the other two objects, upon examining the gun, Noctis received a vision. A crowd of people, going about their everyday lives, walking around in a bustling metropolis. Then, from amongst the crowd, people who seek to build walls between the people, people who seek to harm needlessly, people who would bring more harm and division than good to humanity as a whole, are pointed out. All of these people are then dragged into the shadows, never to be heard from again. However, there is no panic amongst the crowd, not even something that could be taken for panic. There is peace, the people are happy, going about their daily lives without a single mishap.

Noctis was holding the gun. He didn’t shake the vision out of his mind like he did the other two. Somehow, he felt that this vision was… right somehow. He could agree with the idea at least; take out the sources of aggravation without sending the public into a mass panic. But somehow, he couldn’t help but hesitate, feeling that the choice he would make here would determine something that could change the course of history. The choices seemed to be walk through the door without picking an object first, meeting face to face with the tyrant completely unarmed, pick the pistol and take him out quietly, or take the bomb and just blow everything to whatever Hell-like realm that brat believed in. “I hate multiple choice endings,” quipped Noctis, “because whatever you do, there is always the possibility of getting the ‘bad’ ending.” After intense contemplation, he walked towards the door, having chosen the gun as his weapon. The door was now a dull, gray, beaten-up old door, giving no feelings whatsoever. Noctis turned the knob and opened the door, bracing himself for what may be waiting for him on the other side…
Noctis finds himself on a balcony on the outside of a shorter version of the clock tower Shara was by when he met her. Across the way was a baroque-styled tower, with a balcony overlooking a white floor. In the middle of the balcony is a gaudy-looking throne, molded with images of lions and hawks and other proud animals. The tyrant ran to the edge of the balcony a second after Noctis walked through the door, dirt and blood all over his face and clothes. However, at the time, Noctis was noticing other things, other people, on the floor. A tank that could launch a nuclear missile completely undetected from anywhere in the world. Several slave drivers jerking on a row of chains binding innocent people. A young man with an assault rifle in his hand, preaching the “need” for a war that would harm more than it would save. The walking corpses of the men Noctis had killed. All of these and more seemed to be looking up towards the tyrant in awe and respect, looking up to him as if asking, “what do you want us to do, lord?” Noctis instinctually aimed the gun not at the tyrant, but at the people on the floor. He first took aim at the slave drivers and shot them. The slave drivers shattered like glass, and the innocents ran for their lives. Noctis then aimed at the tank and fired. The tank also shattered like glass when it was shot. Then the young man with the assault rifle was shot, and shattered like glass. Then the corpses were shot, and shattered like glass. Every single person on the floor who represented a force of evil was shot, and all of them shattered like glass, until all that was left was the tyrant, and Noctis. He took aim at the tyrant’s chest and fired. However, instead of the tyrant shattering like glass, the environment seemed to shatter, revealing a pitch-black abyss. The floor had become stained glass, depicting a graph of the hierarchy of politics, with the tyrant’s throne sitting on where the highest is on the graph. The tyrant had stumbled backwards into his throne, his eyes now wide with fear, his hands clutching at his chest where he had been shot. Noctis raised his gun at the tyrant’s head, at the same time an ethereal clock appearing over the throne, counting down until the hands hit 12:00. “No, nono please,” the tyrant pleaded weakly and desperately, “please, don’t shoot. I-I-I will give you whatever you want, anything, anything at all.” Noctis didn’t even consider it, watching as the tyrant squirmed in agony. “EVERYTHING!! I will give you everything you want! Everything you could ever dream of!! Even things that you can’t even fathom!! Please!! I beg of you!! Nonono, nononono, not beg, NEVER beg!! I command you! Yes, I COMMAND YOU!! Your king commands you! YOUR KING COMMA…” Three different things happened at the same time that cut the tyrant off. Noctis shot the tyrant in the head, killing him instantly. The clock hands had reached 12:00, deep-toned ringing announcing this and drowning out the tyrant’s whining. Last but not least, the stained glass floor shattered from underneath both of them, threatening to let them plummet into an endless abyss…
Logically, you would think that after spending a fair amount of time living in the world of dreams, you would know that just because the floor falls out from under you doesn’t mean you are going to fall. But, after spending seemingly an eternity in a place where details like these are apparently ignored, you get used to it.

Instead of falling into an abyss as expected, Noctis and the throne containing the now-dead tyrant were floating above something. Noctis looked down at what appeared to be an oval shaped office, with a group of well-dressed men shaking hands with each other. The dark wooden desk seemed covered in papers and folders of all kinds. Intuition told Noctis that those men were the world’s most influential leaders, and those papers were drafts of the peace treaty that would keep World War III from becoming reality. They must have just agreed to a final draft, Noctis thought. As he was looking at the scene playing before him, a person starting clapping hands in a congratulatory manner. Noctis spun around to face the source, seeing Shara standing. Unusually, she had a light smile on her face. “Well done, Noctis.” she said with delight, “You have passed the test. The collective is pleased with your capabilities.” “Thank you, my lady,” Noctis said, bowing slightly, “I hope that this incident satisfied your and the collective’s desire to know what my role is.” “It did the instant you decided on the course of action you would take inside of the clock tower.” “So that’s why those artifacts were there, eh? But, how did you determine my role in this world from whether I picked up a bomb, a gun, or just walked through the door without picking anything?” Shara’s face reverted to that of seriousness, although not quite as coldly as before. “It was a sort of personality test, determining what you would do if you found yourself in a position of power. If you chose to use the bomb, you would have been a conqueror, a powerful lord not unlike the tyrant you just silenced. If you chose to just walk through the door without anything, you would have been a pacifist, a saint to the people. However, you would be cursed to watch as your people fall before those more violent and forceful than yourself. You chose the gun. That means that you will be a warrior in the shadows, eliminating those that would divide and harm humanity. You would do things that most would squirm just thinking about, but it is all for the sole purpose of the union of humanity. In the end, everything you might do is justified if humanity is ultimately at peace.” She pointed towards the slumped corpse of the tyrant, “This is an example of what you do now, Noctis.” She then walked over to the corpse, grabbed its hair, and lifted its head so that it would face Noctis. Where there was once a smug face, a smooth, featureless expanse of flesh now exists, broken only by the bleeding hole in its forehead where Noctis shot it. Noctis’s face turned pale, his eyes widening at the horror of the sight. He had seen some terrible things in his life, but nothing quite as sickening as this. “You have condemned this vile thing to a fate worse than death; to be forever silenced, and separated from his own kind, so that he may never harm or corrupt again.” Shara let the thing’s head slump back into its previous position. “The way you talk about me… you make it sound like I’m no different than him. We use the same cloak-and-dagger tactics, we commit the same atrocities, we use people for our purposes… what makes me less vile than him, Shara?” Noctis looked towards Shara, his eyes darkening with sorrow and thoughtfulness. Shara puts her hand on his shoulder and looks him in the eyes. “What makes you different isn’t what you do, it’s why you do it. He did these things to satisfy his ego, his need to control. He delighted in other’s misery and suffering, believing it makes him superior to them. You do it to keep humanity from imploding on its own kind. You do it to keep innocents safe from people like him. You do it because it is what must be done. Don’t ever forget that.” Noctis nodded in agreement, “You’re right. I understand. I won’t forget it.” Noctis then stepped away from Shara, readjusting himself in an orderly fashion, standing at the ready. “So, what is my next task, my lady?” Shara smiled briefly, and said, “That isn’t my call. You decide that now.” “I see. So what will you do, now that this test is over?” “I will be around, in case you ever seek guidance. After all, you created me to be your guide. I’m not going anywhere.” Noctis smiled and laughed, and Shara chuckled along with him. Noctis then turned around and walked towards a light, filled with a feeling of confidence and preparedness for what may lie ahead…
Noctis found himself back where he started, surrounded by wrecked buildings and hopelessly cracked pavement. C-92 was standing there, smoking a cigarette, waiting for his return. “I suppose I should start calling you Master D’ahlver or something equally honorific now.” said C-92. “Only if you feel like you have to, 9.” C-92 gave what seemed like a smirk, “You always say that. I hope that you found out what she was talking about.” “I have, and I will explain it to you. But first, how about we get ourselves a stiff drink?” C-92 breathed out smoke in a long drag, “You know Mr. D’ahlver… I would like that right about now.”

In the real world, the news was abuzz. A prominent young warlord in South Africa was found dead in his sleep this morning. The news showed pictures of a smug looking, pale young man with silver hair, striking a noble, self-gratifying pose. The autopsies revealed that he had suffered a punctured lung and a brain hemorrhage. No explanations had been provided as to how this could go unnoticed, or how it even happened. This particular warlord had been infamous for ruling over his domain like some kind of medieval tyrant, taking what he wanted from the people. Now, he rules no more…

ArlEammon
2010-05-16, 09:03 AM
(INteresting concept that Inyu's got.)

Ixahinon
2010-05-16, 08:58 PM
Shaddon patted his jacket, attempting to find a pen and paper with which to write his number down. He gave a small shake of his head after finding that he was without such equipment. 555-2792. I suspect that it will not be long before they put the pieces together. My father worked in the field himself, before his death. Furthermore, lying will make me an accessory to your dilemma. I do not think the police have a reason to question me, as of yet. But I feel you should know that if it does come to that, I will not lie to the police. Honest, at least. Perhaps Shaddon caught a glimpse of his own emotionless aura, for it he would reach out and catch Adena on the shoulder before she had a chance to move away after his last few words.

Do not hesitate to call, however. Should you need something: Advice, company, et cetera. I shall do my best to assist you.

Hawker
2010-05-16, 10:00 PM
"Thank you, Shaddon," Adena said, committing his number to memory. The fives were easy, and 27-92 was a fairly easy sequence to keep in her head. The discovery that his father was a cop made her a little worried, but she got the feeling that when this man said he would do something, he kept his word. She looked into the station; the automated announcer sounded over the loudspeaker, "Green Line Inbound Now Approaching Station."

"That's my train," she said, looking to Shaddon again. "Before I go... I have to know why you are the way you are. You'd help out someone like me, even after finding out that she had just gotten back from committing multiple felonies at once, all the while not showing a single hint of pity, surprise, outrage, or any sort of reaction. How did you become this way?"

Ixahinon
2010-05-17, 02:58 PM
Shaddon's first reaction was to as he always did when someone asked that question, simply ignore it. Usually by deflecting it in some way, often giving some elaborate answer that ultimately meant nothing. Or simply by ignoring the question outright, and walking away. Shaddon hadn't told anyone the specifics of why he was like this. Not his sister, not his mother or father. No one. However, Adena did conceal information that would put her behind bars for a rather long time...that showed trust, a lot of it, too. Shaddon felt it was time to return the same favor.

When I was 12, there was this boy that was a grade higher than me who I idolized, he was my best friend. However, this boy was also one that would get himself into trouble, often for the simple need for attention. Looking behind Adena, to notice the train coming into the station, and beginning to halt. Shaddon continued with his story regardless, attempting to finish it before the train was missed. One day, in a needless attempt to look cool among his colleagues, this boy proceeded to steal the proverbial school bully's backpack. Upon doing so, he placed some incriminating evidence within it that netted the bully a week's worth of detention. Within seconds, my best friend was a school hero. Of course, he didn't do it to be just, or right. He merely did it for attention, and bathed in it for a full week.

Monday, the day of said bully's release, and the inevitable retaliation that was to come. The bully confronted both me, and my friend in an alley on the way home. I only received a strong blow to the head, pushing me back into the refuse. My friend was not so lucky. After it was over, my friend was unconscious, and being rushed to a hospital.

All I did was watch as it happened. Every muscle in my body wanted to help my friend, even if it meant I would die in the attempt...but one thing stopped me. Fear. It was this emotion that locked up my body, preventing it from aiding a person I held dear to me.

From that day forth, I worked to shield myself from emotions, for they are weak, and short lived. Happyness, Love, Excitement: They are all short lived euphoria that eventually bring you crashing down to reality. While Fear, Sorrow, and Anger often keep you from doing what must be done. If it were not for fear, I would have helped my friend. Perhaps, if it were not for emotions, your friend would still be alive.

ArlEammon
2010-05-17, 03:06 PM
(Can anyone actually summarize how they have reached their potential yet?)

russdm
2010-05-18, 06:45 PM
(I am not sure what you mean)

Hawker
2010-05-18, 08:39 PM
Listening sympathetically, Adena did not expect such a long, honest answer. In fact, she assumed that he'd brush it off and tell her to get on her train. She'd probably have to wait for the next one anyway, but she didn't care. She just listened in silence.

"From that day forth, I worked to shield myself from emotions, for they are weak, and short lived. Happyness, Love, Excitement: They are all short lived euphoria that eventually bring you crashing down to reality. While Fear, Sorrow, and Anger often keep you from doing what must be done. If it were not for fear, I would have helped my friend. Perhaps, if it were not for emotions, your friend would still be alive."

Adena shook her head. "You're wrong. Without Happiness, life has no meaning, no purpose. It's bland, tasteless, might as well just... die." She swallowed hard to fight back tears. "The same is true for fear, anger, sorrow... Without those, you can't compare anything to happiness, and since happiness is relative, you can't be happy." She shook her head again, her eyes welling up. "And how dare you suggest that about Marc. If it weren't for emotion, he'd have already been dead. We all would. Just walking corpses, no humanity."

The train rolled out of the station, and Adena sat down on a bench. "You do have humanity, Shaddon. Otherwise you wouldn't have helped me. And emotion is what defines us as human. So you do feel emotion. It's just hidden. Locked away very, very deep. I hope you find it again someday." She paused to wipe her eyes, and she took out her lighter. "Do you smoke?" she asked, looking to bum a cigarette. She was trying to quit, and had been successful for a couple weeks, but this was too much.

russdm
2010-05-18, 08:51 PM
Dark, leaning against the brick wall waiting for the train/subway, noticed Adena and Shaddon. The two were talking. He paid them only a slightly lingering look before pulling out a padd and tapping his finger against it. He pulled out some headphones with his right hand and put them on. He turned them and listened to some classic rock music.

Dark studied the padd and looked over at Shaddon. He glanced over again, then sighed. He put the padd back into his pocket. He moved the headphones so they didn't cover his ears.

Dark walked over to Adena and Shaddon. He spoke to Shaddon. "You Shaddon, friend?" He said, saying friend with malice. He had one hand inside his jacket.

InyutheBeatIs
2010-05-18, 09:08 PM
(OOC: Eh, might as well get the "Ascension" roleplaying started.)

Beep…beep…beep…

The machinery around Noctis was constantly checking his every vital statistic, alerting the nurses if anything that would result in his death were to occur.

This particular hospital was fairly nice. Not exactly fancy, but at least there isn’t any organ-dealing or similarly horrendous things happening here. It wasn’t the largest either, but it could do its job without much trouble. It was the perfect place to stash an ex-spy in a coma, apparently. But today, the government was about to make a withdrawal.

One of the higher-ups called the United State’s bluff. After being refused answers as to why Noctis was going to an independent reporter, he decided to use something experimental to find the answers for himself, straight from Noctis’s mouth. It was a substance codenamed “Phoenixes Blood.” It was a drug that could bring back a man from any state of unconsciousness. However, it was found that most of the subjects who took the drug died shortly afterward, due to the great strain it puts on the body. However, with a mixture of truth drugs and diplomacy tactics, it was found to be an effective last-ditch interrogation method. The man thought that this counted as a sort of last-ditch, figuring that as long as he got the answers he wanted from Noctis before he died, he could decide on what to do next.

Naturally, the United States didn’t want anything that would come from Noctis to get into the public eye. So, on the night before the man was to interrogate Noctis, the FBI initiated an operation, codenamed “Sleeping Beauty”. The objective was to find Noctis, get him to a discreet location, and then kill him. If anything was to go wrong, eliminate all witnesses, and if Noctis gets away somehow, shoot him on sight.

Ixahinon
2010-05-18, 09:41 PM
If only Adena knew Shaddon as if he was her kin. If this were the case - if Synthia were here now - she would almost certainly smile in that childish way of hers, as if to say 'Ha! I won!' For indeed, that is what Adena did, albeit without knowing such.

Those words struck Shaddon with such a force that it did shake the very foundations that withheld those emotions. It was not like Shaddon had not heard this before. This time, however, Adena was not calling him the proverbial robot. No, this time, he was dead to her."If it weren't for emotion, he'd have already been dead. We all would. Just walking corpses, no humanity."

Shaddon was not a corpse. Not a zombie wandering mindlessly through the fog. Not a ghoul ravaging on the flesh of the living. Not even a charming vampire luring unsuspecting prey to his lair with but a dashing glance.

Indeed, though there was no outward signs of it, Shaddon was enraged. The only person alive that would be able to notice the subtle signs, was his sister. Which is why, had Synthia been here, she would have relished the sight of such a rare occurrence, and reward Adena with a shower of praise for provoking it.

Still, however, that calm resolve was unflinching, even as the barrage of hate-filled words were released from black and scarlet haired woman. And his retort was just as calm and monotonous as ever.

Ah, but that is where I believe you are wrong, Adena. For humanity's definition is largely speculative. Sure, there is the one that the general population will agree to base it upon, such as the very one you proposed to me. However, I believe humanity exists in multiple ways.

Yes, emotions deal, in part, with humanity, but that is not all of it. You can sever the idea of emotion from the collective whole, and still have a bit of humanity. The result is what you see standing before you. In fact, I would argue that because of my detachment of emotions, I am able to think clearer, and make rational conclusions without bias.

You assume that my decision to help you was based upon a chain reaction of emotions that ultimately brought about a physical reaction: The act of aiding you to this subway. This presumed reaction of emotions is what you label 'humanity.'

Indeed, humanity is what played a role in where I am sitting now, but I assure you emotion had little to do with it. Humanity also comes about when one makes a logical conclusion based upon his surroundings.

You were lying on a sidewalk with which you had no idea where it was located. You were soaked in a highly volatile substance. You were unable to help yourself at the given time. A simple conclusion was to help you. The 'humane' choice was to prevent the suffering of a fellow being through any way possible.

The very fact that Shaddon had said some of the things he did just now, was undeniable prove that he firmly believed in what he just said. The man just said 'emotion has little to do with it.' in front of a woman he just aided. That had so many negative ways of being interpreted.

Then again, the very fact that Shaddon realized what he said had the potential to severely impact this conversation, insinuated emotion with in, which consequently, proved Adena's point undeniably.

Shaddon had indeed a severe complex to deal with...

He then sat down with Adena, shaking his head as he said It is a habit you would do well to resist. And after mentioning that, turned to notice the same man noticed before enter the conversation.

Shaddon did well to notice the hand concealed behind a jacket, as well as the tone within the word 'friend.' The look of the man did not bring about any recollections, and thus he struggled a bit on why that term was used. Perhaps he eavesdropped on the story just told?

I would first know who requires such information, before confirming such.

russdm
2010-05-18, 09:51 PM
Dark smiled. "You get around friend. First you help this woman (Pointing to Adena) here to the station after the building she was in exploded. So generous. Apparently you also got around to annoying somebody high up and important. You're wanted dead, for a cool mil. What kind of thing attracts that kind of death mark? its twice what mine is and 4 times what your lady friend is worth." Dark says to Shaddon.

Dark pulls a cigarrette out of his jacket and puts it in his mouth. "Name's Dark, Dark Fire. Freelance Bounty Hunter and Assasin. Did your lady friend kill that mob boss or was he still alive when she left?" Dark asked, smirking.

Ixahinon
2010-05-18, 10:17 PM
Shaddon would arch his eyebrow slightly, contemplating over the words said. Shaddon was not even aware that a bounty was upon his head. His first thought was perhaps it was due to his father's job, it would be the only thing that would put two and two together. If this was the case, then it would likely mean his sister was in danger as well.

Then that coldly logical mind began to slow down, and put everything in check. It began to realize that a man he had never met before was bringing this information to it. It also realized that there was no proof whatsoever that backed up this bizarre allegation. It was simply illogical for someone to blindly target the son of a police negotiator who's funeral was tomorrow. It was also unlikely that someone would put such a huge price on the head of a simple arsonist.

That is quite a bold question to be asking so quickly Mr. Fire. It seems to me that you are making powerful allegations on something you know so little about.

Personally? I am unaware of what building Adena was last in. I am also unaware of the aforementioned explosion. Those questions would have to be directed to the lady herself. However, I would advice extreme caution before proceeding, Mr. Fire. Slandering a name with such accusations is, in fact, against the law. A law, I am presuming, that would be happy to take you into custody.

Previously, Shaddon mentioned that he would not lie for Adena, and at first glance it would seem as though this was not the case. However, everything spoken so far is true.

First, Shaddon has no idea which building Adena last frequented, for he only met her upon the sidewalk. While it might be entirely true that her last visit was upon the building in question, Shaddon has no proof that it was, it was unlikely he did either. Second, there was no explosion. Simply a fire. This was merely a case of turning one's words against another.

Shaddon did, however, leave behind advice for Adena to acknowledge before speaking anything. Sort of like leading her through a dance routine.

russdm
2010-05-18, 10:26 PM
Dark pulled out his padd and help it up so Shaddon could see display listing Shaddon's name. He tapped the padd with his left finger. "This is you right?" He asked. "That building that blew up might have ended up being a completely different one then. oh well. no matter to me."

The padd displayed:

A picture of Shaddon.

His name.

His general location, like where he was, but not right there, ie city lived in but not the subway/train station.

Mentions his father being a cop.

Wanted Dead.

Reward 1,000,000

Payment given by the US government.

A brief bio.

Dark waited for Shaddon's reply. He tapped a logo on the listing that when enlarged read, The US Department of State.

Hawker
2010-05-18, 10:33 PM
"So you intend to kill us?" Adena asked warily. This was the second time today she was held basically at gunpoint. She did not intend for her new friend--yes, she considered Shaddon a friend, despite his coldness and the fact that she just met him--to suffer the same fate as her old one. Her lighter was the only thing in her hand, and she couldn't exactly defend herself with that alone. She looked at Shaddon. "What did you do?" she asked him.

russdm
2010-05-18, 10:34 PM
Dark shook his head. "Nope. Why would I kill my accomplices? For some reason, whoever posted these things think we are working together. I thought you might know something about why that I don't." Dark said.

InyutheBeatIs
2010-05-20, 06:41 PM
Meanwhile, back in the world of dreams, Noctis and C-92 are sitting at a bar, Noctis having a glass of fine scotch, while 9 was drinking some kind of greenish substance. The bar was a cross between an old pub and a nightclub, an odd cross between classical music and techno playing from a jukebox in the corner. “Well,” says C-92 to Noctis, “you certainly have had an interesting day. Do you have any idea as to how you are going to save humanity from your current position?” “I wish I knew, 9, I wish I knew.” “I’m sure the answer to that question will come soon, Mr. D’ahlver. After all, you seem to be a very important person as of late.” Noctis couldn’t help but chuckle at the statement.

Through the double doors walks an interesting looking creature, as if on queue from what C-92 had said. He appeared to be a 4” tall baboon with a sort of ceremonial tiki mask, wearing a simple loincloth, holding in his hands a wooden stick with various gourds on it. Noctis turns around and notices the figure. “Mufasa!!” he says, “How are you doing?” The figure waves his hand, “I am well, thank you.” Mufasa was the resident shaman, caring for the unfortunate souls who have been harmed by the all too often harsh conditions, and occupants, of the dream world. “Would you like to sit at a table so we can talk without having to worry about being knocked off of our stools?” Noctis said with a grin. Mufasa chuckles, “Certainly.” Noctis, Mufasa, and C-92 then all sat down around a wooden table. “You sure are a long ways from home. What brings you to town, something wrong?” “No, no, nothing is wrong. Actually, I wanted to talk to you about something.” “The last being that said that,” C-92 chimed in, “ended up sending Mr. D’ahlver on a wild goose chase after a tyrannical brat to determine what he would be in a position of power.” Mufasa laughed. “Don’t worry, my son. I am not interested in sending your friend on any more adventures. I see he has had enough of one already.” Mufasa then pointed to the glass of scotch in Noctis’s hand, “20 year old, pure malt I suppose?” “Nothing else would be appropriate for the occasion.” Mufasa started laughing heartily, “I guess I will join you then.” He then took off one of the gourds from his staff, took off his mask, and drank from the gourd. His face was old, kind, and filled with wisdom. He set the gourd on the table as if to emphasize something, “Well, now to why I came here.” He leaned in towards Noctis and lowered his voice a little bit, “I received a vision as I was meditating last night. I saw a man in a tuxedo, holding in his hand a gun with a silencer on the end of it. He was lying down on a flat altar of sorts, asleep. I then saw what he was dreaming about, a network across the world, watching everyone, looking for anyone who would seek to do evil. I saw people praying, crying out to this man so that he may save humanity from collapsing. I then saw a hand, and this hand was guiding the actions of the world. It wrapped itself around a bomb so that when it exploded, it wouldn’t harm anyone. Then it diverted a large army away from a small town. Then it dropped a peace treaty draft onto a table at a peace conference. It did many more things too, but I won’t bore you with exact details.” He stopped for a moment to take a swig from the gourd. “Then, I saw a face, and as I was looking at this face, I heard a voice say, ‘The time is coming soon for this man, the time when he shall inherit the power of the gods, so that he may keep humanity from falling prey to the whims of anarchy and pain.’ That face, my son, was yours.” He then took another swig from his gourd, letting what he said sink in.

ArlEammon
2010-05-21, 09:26 PM
I said this to Inubeast.

Don't be sorry for bothering me, I've been agonizing over what I"m going to do. It's another turn. I give everyone an extra turn to write out how they get their god hood. They all have an NPC of their own imagination they can make for that purpose. Or an artifact, or previous god from an established Pantheon like the Greek gods.

Hawker
2010-05-22, 10:51 AM
"Look, Dark, I don't know what you're going on about, but I have a train to catch," Adena said, thankful that another train was rolling into the station. Just because he claimed to be a friend didn't mean he was. He'd been following them a while, and for that reason she didn't trust him. "I'll talk to you later, Shaddon," she said, and she walked onto the platform.

A bounty on my head? What is this, the Old West? Adena thought. How can the mob already know who I am? Arson leaves no prints, no evidence... She boarded the train. Unless... If they already ID'd Marc's body... That would be bad, they could draw an association between the two if they knew anything about Marc's criminal record.

When she arrived at her building, there were no cops, or mobsters, or anyone, really, waiting for her. She breathed a sigh of relief and climbed the stairs. She passed out on her bed, not even bothering to change.

ArlEammon
2010-05-22, 12:21 PM
((Attention, each post you make will from now on include a small summary of Role Play elements and your over-all actions that you are taking.))

Ixahinon
2010-05-22, 03:12 PM
Shaddon heard Adena, but he didn't respond. Instead, he brain was locked in trying to determine where this bounty would have come from. Without even asking, the young man would take the device from Dark's hands, using his index finger to slide the information around, looking over every detail with extreme scrutiny.

Everything was there. Date of Birth. Mother and Father, both with the word DECEASED in red capital letters. Sister, along with her age and Date of Birth. Then came with a rather extensive biography upon Shaddon's personal history. If Shaddon had emotion to display, it would likely disturb the viewer at how detailed the information was.

Still, there was something those icy blue eyes found that Shaddon could not compare with his own memories:

"Project Olympus Status: Terminated. Be advised that all associates involved with the the project report back to Home Base immediately. Those tasked with cleaning up the problem, take note that the subject listed here is not aware of his future. However, precautions should be taken the longer he remains alive.

Project Olympus? Shaddon looked up from the device, initially looking towards where Adena once sat, but suddenly realized that he failed to see her departure. It was likely for the best, she needed to get some rest as it was. The brief thought of calling her should anything come up was entertained, before Shaddon realized that such information was not exchanged. So instead, icy blues were turned to look at this Dark figure.

I assume you are able to pull up information on yourself, and Adena on this device as well? If you would be so kind as to do such. I would like to examine something.

InyutheBeatIs
2010-05-23, 11:57 AM
C-92 looked at his glass and said with no small amount of sarcasm, “Great. Just when we were nice and relaxed, the gods decide that Mr. D’ahlver is to be their avatar.” Noctis scratched the back of his head and stroked his chin in slight puzzlement, “Well, I can’t say I am not flattered by the proposition, or surprised the way things have been going recently, but why me? I know that I am supposed to have a role in this world, but what does that have to do with the real…” Noctis caught himself before he could say something stupid, “err, I mean the world where I am from. I can’t exactly do much over there, considering my body is probably a wreck from that accident.” Mufasa shrugged his shoulders, “I do not know, I am not even sure of what I saw. I only am telling you what I have seen. Perhaps you will find out when your time has come.”
Just then, about 6 figures bust through the door. They are all wearing riot gear, Kevlar vests, and helmets with visors covering half of their faces, all of which is in black. The visors have the letters “CTU” emblazoned on them in white. The half of their faces that was exposed revealed that they all seemed to be skeletons. They were armed with assault rifles, pistols, and grenades. Everyone in the bar cleared out except Mufasa, Noctis, and C-92. “Noctis D’ahlver,” one of the soldiers said, apparently being the leader, “we are with CTU. You are under arrest for treason and the assassination of our Lord. Drop your weapons and comply with our orders, and no one has to get hurt.” C-92 looked at Noctis and whispered, “Well, it seems the brat’s dogs are angry, Mr. D’ahlver.” “It sure seems so, doesn’t it.” “Well, I suppose you shouldn’t anger the powers that be any further.” said C-92 sarcastically. “Hey pal!” cried out one of the soldiers to Noctis, “Why don’t you tell your little pet to p*** off and mind his own business!!” “Stand down Johnson!” the apparent leader barked. “I suppose your 'Lord' didn’t teach you about respect!” C-92 stood up, preparing to strike the upstart down, the upstart also shifting into a fighting stance. “You calm down too, 9. No reason for anybody to get hurt.” Both sides relaxed slowly from their fighting stances. Noctis stood up to accept whatever was about to happen. The upstart soldier then said, “Why don’t we light them up right here and now, huh? We’re just going to kill them later anyways!” C-92 looked over to Noctis, with what could pass for a raised eyebrow, “You were saying about people being hurt, Mr. D’ahlver?” “Actually, Johnson, you’re right! All right boys!! OPEN FIRE!!!” Only nothing happened. The soldiers looked down at their newly malfunctioning guns with equal parts anger and bewilderment. Noctis had willed the guns to jam, giving Mufasa an opportunity to set up a barrier between the two groups. “Get out of here!” Mufasa said, “I can handle them. Just go! The spirits and gods be with you both!” “The spirits and gods be with you too, friend! Well, you heard the man, 9! Let’s get out of here!”

(OOC:)Summary: Noctis asked how he would be able to protect humanity with him in the dream world, recieving an "I don't know" from Mufasa. Then, some of the tyrant's henchmen came to kill Noctis and crew for killing their lord, but couldn't because Noctis had used his powers to jam the guns they had. This gave Mufasa a chance to start attacking the soldiers, allowing Noctis and C-92 a chance to get out of there.

As for the domain... I'm going to start off with Dream. Hopefully, that combined with the Archetype you gave me would allow me to do some stuff both without being too powerful and still keeping in concept.

ArlEammon
2010-05-23, 01:41 PM
Anyone else curious about their ARchetypes?

InyutheBeatIs
2010-05-25, 01:14 AM
Both Noctis and C-92 ran towards the back entrance, the sound of lightning crackling, chanting, and pistol fire following them. When they went through, they found 4 more soldiers coming after them. They both cursed almost in unison at the sight. C-92 extended his claws and folded his wings out, crouching to a fighting stance. “I will try and get us out of here, 9!” “Don’t worry about me Noctis, I’ll be alright! Just get yourself out of here!” C-92 then jumped towards the group of soldiers, crashing into them with a tremendous force. As 9 was ripping the soldiers to shreds, Noctis was concentrating on teleporting to a different location. Noctis looked up after a few moments to notice that somehow, the soldiers pinned down 9, and one of them was about to deliver a coup de grace. “Oh for God’s sake 9!” Noctis diverted his efforts into creating a ball of light, and within a second, the newly formed ball was slammed into the ground. At that moment, the ground seemingly exploded into a flock of prismatic birds flying in every direction. At the same time, a powerful earthquake shook the ground, the ground itself rippling like water during a rainstorm. The sudden events served to distract the soldiers, causing them to forget about C-92 for a moment. C-92, taking advantage of the distraction, knocked the soldiers over, taking their grenades and flying upwards high into the air. Noctis refocused on teleporting out of there, just finishing the task when C-92 dropped the now armed grenades onto the ground within the soldiers’ midst. Just before teleporting, he saw the explosions taking out every single one of the unfortunate soldiers. What happened next was, like everything else that has happened, rather unexpected…

(OOC:)Noctis and C-92 ran out of the back door, only to find that reinforcements had arrived. C-92 attacked the reinforcements, while Noctis focused on teleporting out of there. C-92 was almost killed at one point during the fight, but Noctis used his dream control abilities to create a distraction (a very dramatic one at that). C-92 took advantage of the distraction and took the soldiers' grenades and dropped them on their heads, just in time for Noctis to teleport to...somewhere unexpected.

russdm
2010-05-25, 07:36 PM
Dark nodded. "What do you want me to look up?" He says.

InyutheBeatIs
2010-05-28, 10:08 PM
Noctis found himself floating over a large gladiatorial arena, completely packed with people cheering and screaming for someone’s head. That someone seemed to be a college-aged man, scared out of his mind and sprawled out on the dirt floor. Across the way from the young man was a creature out of a nightmare; a monstrous humanoid shape made completely of jaws, with a several lion-like heads coming out of its chest, as well as a single large maw where a head would normally be. Noctis inferred from the situation that this wasn’t a normal part of the dream world; this was the young man’s dream, or in this case, nightmare.

For some reason, Noctis couldn’t float down to assist personally. As the nightmare creature lunged towards the man, Noctis decided to create a combatant to fight the creature. He created an ever-shifting creature, always changing form. The shifter shoved the nightmare backwards, and started attacking it. But, within a few moments, the nightmare creature ate the shifter. Noctis then created a large ogre-like creature with wolf-like features. The ogre then attacked the nightmare, and actually managed to do some damage, mangling the nightmare’s arm, but like the shifter, the ogre was eaten. Noctis then created a mad scientist in clockwork power armor. Like the previous two, the nightmare ate the mad scientist, armor and all. Next, Noctis created a robotic paladin, armed with a mace and shield. The paladin nearly killed the nightmare, but in a brief moment of weakness, the paladin met the same fate as the other creatures. The nightmare shifted into a worm-like creature at this point, making one last attempt at the poor young man who was to be its meal. However, Noctis changed the ground to water, and created a final combatant. It was a pale man in navy uniform with coral, barnacles, and moss all over him, standing on an equally decrepit piece of a battleship, with one cannon pointed straight at the nightmare. The cannon fired, completely obliterating the nightmare creature in one shot, leaving a puddle of oily black ink and water where the creature once stood. Then, the ship piece, along with the sailor, disappeared into the wind.

The arena disappeared leaving pitch-blackness, implying that the dream had ended and the man had woken up. The blackness eventually gave way to grassy plain and sunset sky. When the scene had established itself, Noctis turned around to see his house, now looking more like a cathedral than an actual house. Noctis sighed, hoping that no more unexpected events would occur.

(OOC:)Noctis found himself in a young man's nightmare, the young man being attacked by a horrible looking creature. Noctis helped the young man out by creating combatants to fight the creature, until eventually the creature died. The dream ended, and Noctis found himself in front of his house, hoping that nothing else unexpected would happen.

I thought it would be neat to referance the characters that unfortunately didn't make it into the game by creating creatures that sort of represented them. You like?

ArlEammon
2010-05-28, 10:19 PM
((Yes INutheBeast, I like)) ;)

Ixahinon
2010-05-29, 10:17 AM
Both yours, and Adena's if you could. Look for anything that specifically relates to this 'Project Olympus' nonsense. I have never heard of such a thing before, but if it is enough to put a bounty on my head, and I have done nothing to require such, perhaps it is your reasons for it, too.

Albeit it will be hard to prove such for your case, and Miss Adena's as well, as you are, in fact, a trained killer...there could be any number of reasons money is on your head...but perhaps it is a start.

You'd also do well to do a search upon this 'Project Olympus' Perhaps there are others out there that can shed light on this situation.

Shaddon was getting more and more angry at the fact that he did not pick up Adena's number, espeically in light of the fact that information may be shed on this situation.

ArlEammon
2010-05-30, 03:36 PM
((When Project Olympus gets finished, if it does, I was wondering if peopel would like me to post something to get people more involved. I recognize that I haven't been as active in this as I should be.)

InyutheBeatIs
2010-05-30, 08:00 PM
Before going inside of the house, he searched the dream world with his mind to see if C-92 was okay. After confirming that yes, he was all right after 9 telepathically remarked, “I told you I would be all right,” Noctis went inside. He found that the inside of the house was strangely spartan and empty, with rectangular lines and monotone gray colors. In the center of the house is a small coffee table, with a telephone on top that strangely looks like a door. The phone rang when Noctis entered the room with the phone.

Noctis picked up the phone, “Hello?” A voice responded that sounded like a million voices of all kinds; young voices, elderly voices, male and female voices, deep and high-pitched voices, and untold more. “Greetings, is this Noctis D’ahlver? We wish to discuss something with him.” Noctis sighed, expecting something even worse to happen than the previous events. “Who is asking, and what is it that you wish to discuss?” “We are the ones who created the test. What we wish to discuss is a private matter.” Noctis paused for a moment before replying. “What is it that you want?” “Meet us outside, Noctis D’ahlver. We shall discuss our affairs there.”

Noctis then walked over to the front door of his house. As he opened the door, he said a quick prayer to whatever gods where watching over him in this place, praying that this being truly does have benevolent motives for him and humanity.

(OOC:)Noctis went inside his house after checking to see that C-92 was alive and well. He then had a phone conversation with the being that created the test that determined his role. Afterwards, Noctis went to go outside to meet the being, praying that it really did have good intentions.

As for posting something to get people involved, I don't mind personally.

Hawker
2010-05-30, 10:15 PM
She was burning. Flames everywhere, consuming her. Her nostrils filled with the hot smell, and the smell of her own burning flesh. Marc was standing over her, gas can in hand, half incinerated, scowling spitefully as she screamed. She begged him for help, but he stood there and repeated "An eye for an eye," over and over.

Adena sat bolt upright in her bed and shouted Marc's name. She looked around, saw the intact walls, the unlit room. She felt the cold creep onto her body and realized she was sweating. "It was a dream," she muttered.

Shivering, she changed out of her kero-smelling pants and her borrowed sweatshirt and slid back into bed, between the covers. After a few minutes, however, it became apparent that the few hours of restless sleep she managed before waking were all that she would get for the evening, so she wearily got up once more to heat up a cup of coffee. Lost in thought, she didn't notice that her hand was resting upon the stove-top. She looked down when the coffee started to boil and saw her hand resting there, but it felt only lukewarm. She watched it for a moment, and then abruptly withdrew her hand upon realizing what should have been happening. She checked for burns. None. She shut the coffee and shook her head. "Just a coke, then," she whispered, and grabbed a cold can from the fridge. "Just tired... imagined it."

ArlEammon
2010-05-31, 07:44 AM
After a ten year period, all of you develop experience with your powers. By this time you have all by now, met eachother. You also know of the true nature of the world and what is happening across the human landscape.

OOC: This is to finally get myself in gear for the game. You can all claim territory for yourselves, (Although not too very large territory. You could claim, for example, New York, city, but not, a state) state what you've done in a ten year period, and then I will introduce the main NPCs.