PDA

View Full Version : If you could be any non-human D&D monster, what would you be? (3.5/PF)

Harperfan7
2010-05-02, 08:12 PM
...and why?

Eldariel
2010-05-02, 08:13 PM
What constitutes a "monster"? Any creature or only non-player creatures?

balistafreak
2010-05-02, 08:21 PM
Corpsecrafted Spellstitched Necropolitan. I used to be human, but now I live forever, have strength and nimbleness that I never possessed while still a living breathing meatbag, and, oh, best of all, shoot frickin' laser beams out of my eyes. (SLAs have no components, so I figure this is absolutely within the realms of RAI.)

... what?

Yukitsu
2010-05-02, 08:21 PM
{Scrubbed}

Copacetic
2010-05-02, 08:30 PM
Half-Celestial Gold Dragon. I don't think this needs explaining.

Jack_Simth
2010-05-02, 08:32 PM
For power?

The Evolved Undead Ghost of a Great Wyrm Gold Dragon (would go with Prismatic, but I'd prefer to be able to blend when I want to).

Immortality? Check. Difficult to temporarily kill? Check. Able to take down small nations? Check. Able to live as a human if desired? Check.

What's not to like?

Deca
2010-05-02, 08:33 PM
Being an illithid has great drama potential.

All the other kids laugh at me and ridicule me for my horrific appearance but I keep being nice to them until by the end of the movie, I win their trust and they all learn a valuable lesson about not judging others on appearances.

...And then I eat all of their brains.

druid91
2010-05-02, 08:33 PM
Warforged greater deity. Then I would go around performing miracles just so people go "Wait did that robot just walk on water?"

Touchy
2010-05-02, 08:34 PM
Warforged greater deity. Then I would go around performing miracles just so people go "Wait did that robot just walk on water?"

And you have a legion of fanatical robots to do your bidding, and Lord of Blades isn't a bad title either.

Geiger Counter
2010-05-02, 08:39 PM
http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/mmiii_gallery/83039.jpg
For all the benefits of being an Uber fiend (immortality/DR/spell resistance/respawning) without actually having to live in the lower planes.
Combine the powers of a doppleganger with a high level sorcerer and evil cleric which you don't have to actually work for and you got the Ak'chazar Rakshasa.

Volthawk
2010-05-02, 08:39 PM
Definitely some kind of templated monstrosity.

Eldariel
2010-05-02, 08:44 PM
I guess, considering all creatures, Half-Silver Dragon Planetar would be pretty awesome. Half-Silver Dragon Ghaele Eladrin would be real nice too. Alternatively, obviously Half-Celestial Silver Dragon but yeah.

Either way, mixing the noblest of Dragons with the most graceful and beautiful Celestials results in a rather incredible being.

Private-Prinny
2010-05-02, 08:46 PM
I would be Asmodeus. That guy is just amazing.

If we have to be generic, then I would be a kobold, so I could become Pun-Pun.

Zeful
2010-05-02, 08:47 PM
Yuan-ti half-blood.

I like snakes.

ErrantX
2010-05-02, 08:47 PM
Gold Dragon. Definitely. I really need nothing else. Live for thousands of years as one of the most potent creatures in the universe, able to change my form and cast the spells that make the people fall down? Yes please.

-X

druid91
2010-05-02, 08:49 PM

You mean like this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101587)?

Copacetic
2010-05-02, 08:49 PM

Gods get counted as monsters?

I would like to change my answer.

Half-Celestial Great Wyrm Gold Dragon Greater Diety of Life and Death. :smallsmile:

Gorgondantess
2010-05-02, 08:53 PM
Ulitharid alhoon. Think dire illithid lich. Immortal, manifests as a 12th level psion (dominate, anybody?) and major style points.
Well, that's if we're being reasonable. If I could be any D&D monster, definitely a templated monstrosity- Jack_Smith's got it pretty much down, but you could certainly throw on the paragon template there. Plus maybe another few dozen CR worth.:smallwink:
Oh, and also make that an advanced dragon, with enough feats so that I can buy every spell in the game on my sorceror spell list.

Project_Mayhem
2010-05-02, 08:54 PM
Xvart.

Obviously

Mushroom Ninja
2010-05-02, 08:55 PM
Astral deva (or some templated version of it) is tempting.

Geiger Counter
2010-05-02, 08:55 PM
Yeah let's ban any unique outsiders (gods/feind lords) otherwise this gets just too easy.

Volthawk
2010-05-02, 08:56 PM
Here was a monstrosity I was going to play using the Races of War method (ECL=CR+1)

Voidmind Stony Lolth-Touched Chimeric Horrid Multi-Headed Dire Wolf

demidracolich
2010-05-02, 08:58 PM
Pandorym, for all of you who want to be deities, I`ll kill you all!!!!!!!!!!!!!:smallbiggrin:
Or if it is not allowed, a generic god killer monstrosity.
Or a monster me and my friends created. A 30 headed 300 million year old shadow dragon dracolitch that gives 30000 negative levels with each breath weapon.
Or mabye a paragon tarrasque with other templates. (Lol, it is a genius)

druid91
2010-05-02, 09:00 PM
Yeah let's ban any unique outsiders (gods/feind lords) otherwise this gets just too easy.

Well in that case mind-flayer, then I would gain power slay my elder brain establish control over my fellows and establish the emerald legion. then I would sally forth from the underground and crush all who oppose me.:smallbiggrin:

Starting to question Removing gods now aren't you.:smalltongue:

Morth
2010-05-02, 09:06 PM
Kobold or Illithid
Kobolds are awesome, and ego erraticating to lose to.
SQUIDFACE!

Escheton
2010-05-02, 09:06 PM
succubus

and played like nightcrawler on xtc

Thrawn183
2010-05-02, 09:28 PM
More info. Is this in the real world or in a generic D&D world? Would I be the only one? My answer would definitely be different depending on the situation.

Doodleface
2010-05-02, 09:34 PM
Half-Dragon Centaur

Half man, half horse, half dragon.

Amphetryon
2010-05-02, 09:34 PM
Half-Fey Copper Dragon.

EDIT: Why? Because it's a DRAGON. It also gets phenomenal social skills.

Window459
2010-05-02, 09:39 PM
Flind, i get to be a badass hyena person who uses nunchucks to beat people senseless

Greenish
2010-05-02, 09:42 PM
Dragon or kobold. I can't really choose, both are awesome.

Elan might be cool, I would never have to buy food again (saves a lot of money) and I'd live as long as I wanted. Also, I would look like human and have an excuse for my low charisma: "yeah, it's just the racial penalty".

Lycanthromancer
2010-05-02, 09:57 PM
Deathless phasm telepath 20.

All the shapechanging and mind-control I could eat. I'd also be undead uber-alive, and would live forever if not killed (and I'd be damned difficult to kill).

KillianHawkeye
2010-05-02, 10:15 PM
Invisible Stalker.

What?

Masaioh
2010-05-02, 10:17 PM

Yes. Pseudonatural Paragon something something.,...

Pelfaid
2010-05-02, 11:04 PM
Lantern Archon

Or more seriously, being a Changling or Doppleganger would be awesome if you could guarantee no identity issues

Mastikator
2010-05-02, 11:09 PM
A mindflayer, the psionic version, not some sorcerer crap! (not that sorcerer is crap, but why have psionic races and not have them psionic!?!?)

CockroachTeaParty
2010-05-02, 11:12 PM
Blue Slaad.

Ham fisted corn nuggets embellish my eternal flatulence within the face face of my listed absolve the noodle handle. ;; 0 leeks held with du oslk fffff ever been to a rodeo, Casper? the pixels in the pastries are the dead ones in the rainbows where hte song to got the fasit phasqgm by cream of WHEAT I CAN't waiT for

the Xizth

AHOY HOY

Nobody ever asked me if the jellyfish in the D-cup stings under the gelatinous pudding-skins of my inner-nut. MY NUT!

:smallredface::smallmad::smallconfused::smallfrown ::smallsigh:

Somedoby andwe r the question WHO is PUTNMA??

Kayloreelorolasaaassaay??? 1 !

*.*.*.*
2010-05-02, 11:14 PM
Psuedonatural Paragon Klurichir(FF version)

nekomata2
2010-05-02, 11:25 PM
I say Steel Dragon, I was gonna say Dragon, but people have said Silver and Gold, plus it'd be fun to have to come up with excuses for the smell of wet metal...

I also second, or third, or fifth Elan. Human appearing, but eternal...

Also Tibbit, for the lulz.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-05-02, 11:38 PM
Winged thrii-krin with scarab like wings. Common giant winged mantis man thinggy? what is not to love.... also were-dire puma (Sandstorm)... hey a dire winged were-puma thri-krin? but it is illegal... darn it.

Rainbownaga
2010-05-02, 11:39 PM
Being an illithid has great drama potential.

All the other kids laugh at me and ridicule me for my horrific appearance but I keep being nice to them until by the end of the movie, I win their trust and they all learn a valuable lesson about not judging others on appearances.

...And then I eat all of their brains.

That was awesome.

KillianHawkeye
2010-05-02, 11:49 PM
A mindflayer, the psionic version, not some sorcerer crap! (not that sorcerer is crap, but why have psionic races and not have them psionic!?!?)

Because the Monster Manual was printed before psionics? Unbelievable! :smallsigh:

Lycanthromancer
2010-05-02, 11:50 PM
Because the Monster Manual was printed before psionics? Unbelievable! :smallsigh:Though, to be fair, it was printed after the 3.0 Psionics Handbook.

TheMerchandise
2010-05-03, 12:33 AM
Slyth. Just because fitting through 2" spaces is AWESOME. Probably rogue it up or something. But admittedly, there are plenty of better +2 LA races out there.
EDIT: technically that might not satisfy the question, as it is a humanoid (shapeshifter), but i think they're awesome anyway.

Divide by Zero
2010-05-03, 12:36 AM
Either doppelganger or half-celestial something.

KillianHawkeye
2010-05-03, 12:43 AM
Though, to be fair, it was printed after the 3.0 Psionics Handbook.

That doesn't count and you know it. :smallamused:

Adumbration
2010-05-03, 12:47 AM
Great wyrm Force dragon much?

Calintares
2010-05-03, 02:11 AM
Adult Mercury Dragon.

Morithias
2010-05-03, 02:14 AM
Incubus with the 3rd party 'redeemed' template, and levels in Effigy Master. I'm ageless, a embodiment of sexy, and can build robot maids and such, that don't lose levels when I kiss them.

Maybe throw in a level or two of merchant prince, it's hard to get jobs when you're a demon, and it's not ethical to take the wages of a free-willed minion, even if they are technically a robot.

Oh and take the Landlord feat, I don't care what anyone says, a feat that gives you half off building strongholds is the best deal a non-combat person is going to get.

Temotei
2010-05-03, 02:15 AM
Something immortal with the ability to appear human so I could at least be somewhat social for a while.

Do dragons die of old age? I've forgotten, as I haven't looked at dragons in the Manual for a long time.

Mystic Muse
2010-05-03, 02:16 AM
well, it would depend on the setting (here or a normal D&D world?)

until I know this I'm going to say what nobody else has.

a Grue. (I think they count)

Mjoellnir
2010-05-03, 03:25 AM
Azata Ghaele with the Paragon template.:smallbiggrin: Epic in every way, can fly at will, shoot light beams that ignore DR, is extremely fast, greater teleport at will and a lot of other nice things.

cenghiz
2010-05-03, 03:38 AM
Gnome illusionist with a hummingbird animal companion. I'd like to climb to level 20 the hard way, enjoying the ride.

Amphetryon
2010-05-03, 04:45 AM
Gnome illusionist with a hummingbird animal companion. I'd like to climb to level 20 the hard way, enjoying the ride.
"The hard way" would be Monk. :smalltongue:

Geiger Counter
2010-05-03, 05:27 AM
Oh and take the Landlord feat, I don't care what anyone says, a feat that gives you half off building strongholds is the best deal a non-combat person is going to get.

What book is that from?

Volthawk
2010-05-03, 05:28 AM
What book is that from?

Stronghold Builder's Guide.

Critical
2010-05-03, 06:10 AM
Gold Dragon, hands down.

Morithias
2010-05-03, 06:13 AM
Stronghold Builder's Guide.

Probably the most underused book in existence. One time I took the feat and built a dungeon without the Dm really 'knowing' about it. Then I spread a rumor about some "all powerful force of good that's going to purse the area of evil". Funny thing is, I never actually had to do anything, all the traps I had put in were killing off CR 12 evil monsters without me lifting a finger. My DM threw that character out of the game and declared my dungeon "worse than the tomb of horrors". (Hey at least the rock trap at the start of the dungeon doesn't RESET itself after it's set off right?)

TurtleKing
2010-05-03, 06:32 AM
Since no one said it could be home brew or not. I choose prinny which is a slave race that is immortal embodiment of failure that no one likes. Oh wait I already played that race. My character being the guy who shouldn't be able to save the the universe does not once but twice. He is now a deity in a pantheon over the rehabilitating humans from their near extinction. **Cue sanity rolls**

Optimystik
2010-05-03, 06:35 AM
Wisp (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/willOWisp.htm) Psion.

Magic Immunity, Ex Invisibility, massive touch AC, and a joy buzzer.

KurtKatze
2010-05-03, 07:45 AM
Basilisc!

Lazyly lieing around in the desert wait until some fools approach my lare, turn em into stone, yawn, sleep. Get up and eat the statues.

That's what life was meant to be xD

White Blade
2010-05-03, 08:03 AM
While a lot of things would be more interesting, I'm going to stick with my Paragon Celestial Force Dragon. Because... Well... Being CR 28 is just cheap.

Morithias
2010-05-03, 08:18 AM
I like how a lot of you are going for high CR, but seriously people think about it. If you act like your normal monster self, some no good heroes will eventually come and kill you "to protect the innocent!".

Genre Savvy people. Genre Savvy! :D

Jk...although, has anyone picked Nymph yet?

BloodyAngel
2010-05-03, 09:06 AM
Half-Celestial Succubus. Just to bask in the contradiction!

Or maybe some type of fey, like a nymph. Could be fun! :smallbiggrin:

Edit: D'oh! ninja'ed on Nymph!

Morithias
2010-05-03, 09:23 AM
Half-Celestial Succubus. Just to bask in the contradiction!

Or maybe some type of fey, like a nymph. Could be fun! :smallbiggrin:

Edit: D'oh! ninja'ed on Nymph!

Half-Celestial Succubus, that's a weird one. Although it kinda reminds me of the "Little Nicky" movie.

A 3.0 Nymph is the one death attack I would WANT thrown at me assuming I passed my save. Just once I would like to see how beautiful a thing has to be to kill. (I don't think it blinds you in that edition if you pass the save, just death if fail, and it's only DC 17, which is a joke for level 7 characters).

BloodyAngel
2010-05-03, 09:38 AM
Let's go for broke. Half-Celestial Succubus with Fey-kissed. Mom got around. :smalleek:

Lycanthromancer
2010-05-03, 09:45 AM
I like how a lot of you are going for high CR, but seriously people think about it. If you act like your normal monster self, some no good heroes will eventually come and kill you "to protect the innocent!".

Genre Savvy people. Genre Savvy! :DThat's why I wanted a phasm telepath; anyone who figures out my secret is getting mind-blasted charmed.

Volthawk
2010-05-03, 09:45 AM
Let's go for broke. Half-Celestial Succubus with Fey-kissed. Mom got around. :smalleek:

Not enough. Needs Half-Troll. And Half-Dragon.

The Shadowmind
2010-05-03, 09:59 AM
A gold half dragon, half fey, half celestial, half fiend, monster of legend, doppelganger. The family reunions would be awkward as heck.

Volthawk
2010-05-03, 10:00 AM
A gold half dragon, half fey, half celestial, half fiend, monster of legend, doppelganger. The family reunions would be awkward as heck.

No half-vampire? Or Half-Janni? Or half-elemental?

Raewyn
2010-05-03, 10:02 AM
Someone already stole my idea, but I'd definitely go for elan. No grocery shopping, an extra 4-6 hours every night and the ability to live (basically) forever? Yes please! Plus I could blend in with polite society, at least for a little while.

The Anarresti
2010-05-03, 10:12 AM
Phasm. Yeah I know it doesn't have all the big guns that rest of y'all's choices do, but the thing is, being an alhoon carries with it the burden of having to eat seintent creatures brains to survive. Not fun. Being an all powerful dragon, well, how many other dragons are there in RL? You're kinda out on your own. If you live with other dragons it might be a bit different, but still, there's all these responabilities and limitations. Being a dragon requires you to resume dragon form and go flying about at some point (read Silver Dragon discription, they have to do that occasionally even if living as humanoid 24/7) risking being outed and vilified.
No, a Phasm means ultimate freedom. I can change into any shape I want. I could even live as myself. I don't have some abilities that could double as curses (detect thoughts, eating brains, giant scaly body). I could live a normal life and still go turn into anything I want, whenever I want. Also, tremorsense and telepathy would be pretty useful abilities if I got into a sticky situation.
EDIT: Yeah I don't trust myself with world-shaking powers. Like if I'm a dragon, one day I loose my temper and eat some dude. Then I have to live with that for the rest of my life. If I'm a phasm and I make some mistake, it's no big deal.

Morithias
2010-05-03, 10:19 AM

I don't think you even need the template, isn't there a feat in book of exalted that is basically the same thing? "Nymph Kissed" or whatever?

BloodyAngel
2010-05-03, 10:22 AM
I don't think you even need the template, isn't there a feat in book of exalted that is basically the same thing? "Nymph Kissed" or whatever?

Probably. I don't have my books on me. And I'm one of those silly players who doesn't think you can have more than one "half" template. I know you can by RAW, but with all those templates, I'm half of about 4 things. I'm 200% of a person... and that would probably make me really, really heavy and ruin my petite figure. :smalltongue:

PairO'Dice Lost
2010-05-03, 10:23 AM
Why pick one? I'd go for an elan ardent/metamind and abuse Font of Power, Fusion, and Temporal Reiteration to permanently fuse myself with any monsters I wanted. :smallbiggrin:

Probably. I don't have my books on me. And I'm one of those silly players who doesn't think you can have more than one "half" template. I know you can by RAW, but with all those templates, I'm half of about 4 things. I'm 200% of a person... and that would probably make me really, really heavy and ruin my petite figure.

Well, the half-X templates are just badly named, probably because "part-dragon" and "quasi-celestial" and "kinda outsider-ish" didn't have the same ring to them. :smallwink: You're not actually half of anything, otherwise a half-troll red dragon (for instance) would be the same mechanically as a half-red-dragon troll. It makes just as much sense for a half-dragon half-celestial half-fiend X to be 1/4 dragon, 1/4 celestial, 1/4 fiend, 1/4 X.

Divide by Zero
2010-05-03, 10:24 AM
Probably. I don't have my books on me. And I'm one of those silly players who doesn't think you can have more than one "half" template. I know you can by RAW, but with all those templates, I'm half of about 4 things. I'm 200% of a person... and that would probably make me really, really heavy and ruin my petite figure. :smalltongue:

That was a concept for a character I never got to play. "Half-fiend, half-dragon, all man."

blackspeeker
2010-05-03, 10:35 AM
No half-vampire? Or Half-Janni? Or half-elemental?

Throw in a half golem for good measure.

Lycanthromancer
2010-05-03, 10:38 AM
That was a concept for a character I never got to play. "Half-fiend, half-dragon, all man."Sounds like Rule 34 when applied to a summer blockbuster.

Draz74
2010-05-03, 11:10 AM
I'd go Psionic Couatl.

How, exactly, it's better than a Gold Dragon, I'm not sure. But it just feels more stylish to me. Maybe partially because other people have already said Gold Dragon. Or maybe because it's got much better spellcasting, assuming comparable CR or ECL.

It's still got most of the good stuff of the dragons built in: great Hit Dice, flight, innate sorcerer casting (with Cleric spells cherry-picked), shapeshifting. Plus, just for coolness, throw in the Psionic subtype, poison, constrict, detection of alignment/thoughts/magic, telepathy, plane shifting, and some random defensive powers.

UnChosenOne
2010-05-03, 11:37 AM
Elan with levels in Psion .Think about it a sec. Immortal creature that looks like human and thus won't attract so much attention than for a example a Celestial Half-Dragon (Silver) Half-Vampire Drow (Don't even try to think how that is posible).

edit. Typo fixed.

Volthawk
2010-05-03, 11:37 AM
Elan with levels in Psion .Think about it a sec. Immortal creature that looks like human and thus won't attract so much attention than for a example a Celestial Half-Dragon (Silver) Half-Vampire Drown (Don't even try to think how that is posible).

What's a Drown?

UnChosenOne
2010-05-03, 11:48 AM
What's a Drown?

One of more common ways how I misspell Drow. Must fix it though now as you mentioned it.

gdiddy
2010-05-03, 11:57 AM
Half-farspawn, Shadow, Mineral Warrior, Illithid Monk with Vow of Poverty, Deepspawn, Deformity (Tall), Inhuman Reach, and Flexible Limbs.

Obviously, he's lead a very interesting life.

Harperfan7
2010-05-03, 01:50 PM
For me, I think I'd have to be some kind of azata/eladrin, probably a ghale or tulyani.

Being a dragon would be cool, as in I can think of many ways to enjoy it for thousands of years, but really I wanna join the CG team hardcore, not just help every once in a while because I happen to be a high CR CG.

If I had to be a mortal, it would be half-celestial avariel elf.

Telonius
2010-05-03, 01:59 PM
Trying to find official stats for what happens to a Solar when it falls... depending on that, it's probably what I'd like to be.

PlzBreakMyCmpAn
2010-05-03, 02:07 PM
If this were BG it give an amusing joke-answer :smallwink:

Morithias
2010-05-03, 02:50 PM
I still don't care what anyone says, that Elan race is not La +0. For one reason.

"How old is your character Mori?"
"Well, technically he's ageless, but I'm going to simply put "the minimum age to get the +3 to all mental stats."

Combine that with all the other stuff they get? I'd call that a LA +2, maybe La +1 if the DM is generous.

Morithias
2010-05-03, 02:52 PM
I still don't get why everyone says, that Elan race is rightfully La +0. For one reason.

"Well, technically he's ageless, but I'm going to simply put "the minimum age to get the +3 to all mental stats."

Combine that with all the other stuff they get? I'd call that a LA +2, maybe La +1 if the DM is generous.

Mystic Muse
2010-05-03, 03:30 PM
I still don't get why everyone says, that Elan race is rightfully La +0. For one reason.

two words

Dragonwrought Kobold.

also, you may wish to get rid of your double post. And can you point out where it says they get the benefits but not the penalties from aging? I can't find that in the SRD.

Prime32
2010-05-03, 03:30 PM

Combine that with all the other stuff they get? I'd call that a LA +2, maybe La +1 if the DM is generous.Elans don't gain age categories, so they can't do that.

J.Gellert
2010-05-03, 03:38 PM
Lich or at least a Tolkienesque Elf. Can't beat immortality.

A close second being Red Dragon.

Sure, it's a cliche, but hey.

Deth Muncher
2010-05-03, 03:42 PM
I hope you people realize that the OP mentioned a race, not a class.

Anyway, as to race? Beholder. Why? I already hate everything, the pewpew lazor eyes would just be a bonus. :smallbiggrin:

Tome
2010-05-03, 03:44 PM
Spoilered for length. I got wordy.
Well Elan (XPH) is really, really nice. No having to deal with any of the hassles of life like eating, drinking, sleeping or growing old? Sign me up. Unfortunately, they're still somewhat squishy and, more importantly, not dragons.

Unbodied (XPH) are also awesome but, again, suffer from a critical lack of dragon-ness. They also have the same freedom from human constraints as Elan - though I do believe it's a bit murky as to whether they would have to eat, breathe and sleep.

Phasm (MM) is a strong contender. Shapeshifting is an incredibly attractive idea to me and Phasms have that in spades. Be anything you want, whenever you want? I'll take two. But again, they get marked down for not being dragons.

Quesar (BoED). All the advantages of the Construct type, but with fast healing and positive energy powers. Still not dragon though.

I like the idea of being a Coure Eladrin (BoED), or any sort of Eladrin in fact. Outsiders have a lot of advantages, and Coures are cute as a button. A Firre (BoED) is a good alternative, what with their 'turn into a living pillar of fire' shtick. So is a Ghaele. In fact, I'd go for any sort of Eladrin quite happily, were it not for the next option...

Mercury Dragon (DoF). They instantly get ultra-double-plus-mega bonus points for possessing that all important trait of actually being dragons, and Mercury dragons are my favourite variety for a few reasons. They breathe plasma beams, they look awesome, they're chaotic good and they are the only variety of true dragon I know of that gets a Dex bonus. Me likely. :smallbiggrin:

But let's pin this down a bit more. What age category would I want to be? Well, there's no real point to being a dragon if you're going to be a small dragon, so the minimum size I'd want would be medium. That means Young. Not bad, CR 5, ECL 12, has 1st level spells and a couple of spell-like abilities. But it can't shapeshift and I want more magic. Being bigger would be cool as well. So let's go for adult instead. Frightful Presence, Spell Resistance, shapeshifting and 4th level spells. Puberty is also over, and no one want to have to through that if they don't have to. I could go higher for more spellcasting, but would cut into the time I'd have to enjoy being a freaking dragon (not that I wouldn't plan on achieving immortality anyway).

Templates seem to be popular, so let's see if there are any I like the look of. First thing I want is to become immortal (not much, I know). I could become undead or something, a Good (Draco)Lich maybe, but I'd rather not have to deal with rot. Or maggots. Or Clerics. Plus dying sounds kind of painful. So let's not do that. Deathless would be nice, but there's no workable templates for them. Other good options for immortality are becoming a Construct, or becoming an Outsider. Constructs tend to be non-sapient, so Outsider seems like a good bet. Half-Celestial seems a good choice, particularly with all my HD. Let's bump up the Hit dice by one to get the final SLA from my template, since I'm so close.

So that'd make it a Half-Celestial Adult Mercury Dragon for ECL ~29/CR 13. Could probably throw in a few class levels while you're at it. Probably either Wizard/Ultimate Magus or Erudite/Cerebremancer. Because there's no such thing as too much magic. Mind you, I'd be happy with even a Wyrmling Mercury Dragon - even when they're babies, they still outdo the humans by a huge margin.

TL;DR Half-Celestial Adult Mercury Dragon. Or a Coure Eladrin. :smalltongue:

ScionoftheVoid
2010-05-03, 03:50 PM
Elan, Rakshasa or Phasm. I can't decide which. Immortality, mind-reading and sorcery and being anything are all really cool. Probably Rakshasa though just because I could get magical abilities, mind-reading and shape-changing. Actually my choice is definitely Rakshasa, excellent abilities and they look awesome in their natural form.

lightningcat
2010-05-03, 04:09 PM
Since my first two choices where already used (Silver and Red Dragon) I'll go with choice number three: Adamantine Dragon.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-05-03, 04:36 PM
I want add to my winged thri-krin, the horned deivl. and the sword archos because being the embodiment of law and good/evil is AWESOME, plus I got some cool weapons XD

axraelshelm
2010-05-03, 04:58 PM
Awakened Stegosaurus

The Cat Goddess
2010-05-03, 05:17 PM
Half-Efreeti Adult Mercury Dragon. Who cares if I have to change to Dragon form every once in awhile? Unlimited invisibility, Gaseous Form, multiple Plane Shift & eventually Wish. Throw in Half-Celestial for healing powers and eventually Ressurection.

The only downside with Half-Efreeti is vulnerability to Cold (especially combined with Mercury Dragon)... though replace Mercury Dragon with Silver Dragon and their vulnerabilities cancel out!

urbanpirate
2010-05-03, 05:18 PM
prismatic dragon with paragon and perhaps a few other templates. live for thousands of years (or forever if you really feel like it) cast whatever ya want, be any other creature and everything but dex is 79+

GenPol
2010-05-03, 05:19 PM
Kobold. No questions asked.

Raewyn
2010-05-03, 07:54 PM
Elans don't gain age categories, so they can't do that.

Yes they do. They just don't have a maximum age.

Skaven
2010-05-03, 08:05 PM
Likely a Dragon. Most likely Red / Bronze.

Loxagn
2010-05-03, 08:11 PM
Being a dragon would be cool. I mean, flight? Check.
Always looking awesome, no matter what you do? Check.
Breath weapon? Check.
Excuse to laze about and generally not have to do much to make it through life? Check.

I don't friggin' care about SLA's and templates. I'm a friggin' dragon. I want something done, I get the PCs to do it.

Johnny Evilguy's been screwing with my forest. Kill the little bastard and you get a piece of the hoard. I'm going back to sleep.

sambo.
2010-05-03, 08:15 PM
Faerie Dragon.

cattoy
2010-05-03, 09:18 PM
I think the obvious answer is housecat, with wizard levels, so I can have a human as a familiar.

Tam_OConnor
2010-05-03, 09:31 PM
I"m going to take it farther, to non-humanoid, or capable of shapeshifting into one. Ergo: a blink dog. Seriously, teleportation, telepathy (at least in AD&D), naturally lawful good, human-level intelligence: what's not to like?

Optimystik
2010-05-03, 09:34 PM
Elans don't gain age categories, so they can't do that.

Their age categories are in XPH (not the SRD.) Elans are venerable at 1,000 years.

Very old Elans are referred to as "Cullers."

I think the obvious answer is housecat, with wizard levels, so I can have a human as a familiar.

Tibbit Psion; have a commoner is a lavish robe mumble gibberish and wiggle his fingers whenever you manifest powers.

Lycanthromancer
2010-05-03, 09:44 PM
Tibbit Psion; have a commoner is a lavish robe mumble gibberish and wiggle his fingers whenever you manifest powers.Make sure he's really hairy and name him Cheetah. This will be relevant when you're "casting" energy ball.

Amiel
2010-05-05, 10:37 AM
Some form of outsider; preferably that which has a relatively high CR.
Speaking of high CR, an ethergaunt would be fun...probably not so much for the vict...eh, opposing team; but hey, not everyone can be winners.

I'm kinda leaning towards a grey solar; a solar that grew tired of celestial politics and fiendish stupidity and decided to go neutral.

Greenish
2010-05-05, 11:00 AM
Their age categories are in XPH (not the SRD.) Elans are venerable at 1,000 years.I must be seeing things (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/psionicRaces.htm#ageHeightAndWeight).

Octopus Jack
2010-05-05, 11:17 AM
Slaad, Death Slaad.

because Slaad are awesome without any templates. :smallwink:

Amiel
2010-05-05, 11:21 AM
Because you could then work through the alignment system without a care in the world? :smalltongue:

Alignments? They're more like guidelines; cookie for reference.

golentan
2010-05-05, 11:37 AM
Pixie.

Always and forever. I'd pick pixie.

Tome
2010-05-05, 01:30 PM
Their age categories are in XPH (not the SRD.) Elans are venerable at 1,000 years.

Very old Elans are referred to as "Cullers."

Actually, that was a misprint. The fluff and the SRD both say Elans have no maximum age, and they later added Errata for the XPH to clarify that the maximum age was, in fact, a misprint. Here's a link to the page with all the errata on. (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/errata)

Half-Efreeti Adult Mercury Dragon. Who cares if I have to change to Dragon form every once in awhile? Unlimited invisibility, Gaseous Form, multiple Plane Shift & eventually Wish. Throw in Half-Celestial for healing powers and eventually Ressurection.

The only downside with Half-Efreeti is vulnerability to Cold (especially combined with Mercury Dragon)... though replace Mercury Dragon with Silver Dragon and their vulnerabilities cancel out!

Oi, you nicked my Adult Mercury Dragon idea! :smallwink:
Welcome to the club. Refreshments are on the left, pick up your membership package from the guy at the door. Don't spit plasma at the hired help.

Greenish
2010-05-05, 01:33 PM
Actually, that was a misprint. The fluff and the SRD both say Elans have no maximum age, and they later added Errata for the XPH to clarify that the maximum age was, in fact, a misprint. Here's a link to the page with all the errata on. (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/errata)They have no maximum age, but they do have age categories.

Yora
2010-05-05, 01:38 PM
Shifter!

...it's personal.

Ravens_cry
2010-05-05, 01:52 PM
A dragon. I am not sure what kind, but most certainly a dragon. Immortality and great power? Sign me up!

hotel_papa
2010-05-05, 01:53 PM
Minotaur Druid or Spirit Shaman. For the sake of the Shatner.

Or, a Night Elf Mohawk.

HP

Lycanthromancer
2010-05-05, 02:01 PM
Shifter!

...it's personal.Welcome to the wonderful world of the furry.

And I still want to be a phasm telepath 20. I may be an amorphous blob of goo on the inside, but that just means I'm soft-hearted.

Yora
2010-05-05, 02:18 PM
Actually phasm was also on my mind, but changeling is less freaky.

And I fail at Eberron. Don't really care much for shifters, but changelings all the way! :smallbiggrin:

erikun
2010-05-05, 02:54 PM
Trying to find official stats for what happens to a Solar when it falls... depending on that, it's probably what I'd like to be.
I think a fallen Solar becomes an Erinye.

--

Anyways, unrestricted monster? Because my first choice would probably be a mythical Kitsune. Shapeshifting, illusions, spirit fire, and near-godhood for my 1000th birthday? That sounds like it would be a lot of fun. Mythical Coyote would also be a high choice, for similar reasons.

Back to D&D, I would tend towards my favorite monsters. Medusa (or Maedar), Rakshasa, and Couatl are all interesting. Steel Dragons and Firbolg were fun when I had a chance to play them. If I wanted to play something immortal, then an Inevitable would be very neat - assuming I don't get roped into eternal Lawful Stupid servitude.

hamishspence
2010-05-05, 03:19 PM
I think a fallen Solar becomes an Erinye.

The beings who fell with Asmodeus became erinyes- in FC2.

However, it may depend how powerful the angel is and how far they fell. They might go straight to archdevil, like the fallen solar Malkizid, in the Forgotten Realms,

or they might just change alignment while retaining most of their powers, subtype, etc, like the planetar in Elder Evils, who serves the demon lord Sertrous.

Calintares
2010-05-05, 03:34 PM
Oi, you nicked my Adult Mercury Dragon idea! :smallwink:
Welcome to the club. Refreshments are on the left, pick up your membership package from the guy at the door. Don't spit plasma at the hired help.

Actually, you nicked my Adult Mercury Dragon idea!:smallbiggrin:
Thank you very much, I love how I can use the other members as mirrors, it's so convenient.

Poil
2010-05-05, 04:02 PM
Erinyes is actually my favorite monster so I'm gonna go with that. Not sure about the sex change though, but it'd be worth it. :smallbiggrin:

taltamir
2010-05-05, 04:03 PM
Palor.
If deities are too high on the power scale... a solar :P

Amiel
2010-05-05, 05:26 PM
Pelor? You want to be the Burning Hate? Why would anyone choose such a fate? Good luck finding allies.
Knock yourself out

The original erinyes were spirits of wrath in mythology; they're alternately fallen angels (not solars) in the official canon while remaining devils in others.

I've yet to get to around to revising the solar, but it's on my to-do list; I can post a fallen solar along with the template.

Dashaderic
2010-05-05, 05:29 PM
Minotaur.
I love greek mythology and they are by far my favorite mythical beast.
Also during one monster campaign, i got to play a minotaur barbarian....dear gods the strength!!!!!

Amiel
2010-05-05, 05:30 PM
You should've taken levels in Hulking Hurler.

Raistlin1040
2010-05-05, 07:19 PM
Either an Illithid or a Cryohydra.

deuxhero
2010-05-05, 07:26 PM
Epic level dragon with Alternate Form .

CrypticOcean
2010-05-05, 07:27 PM
Quite a hard descision, that. You have your Lich, which is quite excellent, your Illthids, Ulithards, and Elder Brains, all of which would be equally fun to be. Beholder would certainly be enjoyable as well.

But...I would have to go with what they -say- an Aboleth is. An ancient, all-knowing, extremely powerful, Lovecraftian being. Not a 16 Intelligence, one Knowledge Skill, mid-level Encounter.

AslanCross
2010-05-05, 07:56 PM

Warforged overdeity:
http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/gurennlagann/images/5/5f/TengenToppaGurren-LagannMECH.jpg

ShadowsGrnEyes
2010-05-05, 08:14 PM
Silver Dragon. . . . I like them better than gold.