PDA

View Full Version : Whats he Called Again?

Seatbelt
2010-05-02, 08:20 PM
I've noticed that my players, and the group in which I play, tend to rename things. For example there was an orc mage who was supposed to die in an encounter but escaped. He became a recurring villain. We found the idea of an orc wizard so absurd we called him monocle orc. After a couple sessions with monocle orc escaping, the DM gave him a magic monocle. We never managed to kill him.

Later in the campaign we encountered some giant spiders with 40 legs and an impale attack. We fought them several times but We never got to learn what they were called. At one point someone said somethng along the lines of "not the fracking legs again." The spiders became known as fracklegs. I'm making the Battlestar substitution for the sake of the board rules. We were not as polite.

These are just a couple that I can remember but I know there are more. What creative or unusual things have your players and friends named things?

Archpaladin Zousha
2010-05-02, 08:31 PM
In the last campaign I played in, my paladin, Sir Georg Redcrosse, earned the nickname "Brave Sir Robin" from our party's bard, Alizel. In the early stages of the campaign, I proposed using caution in our battles and sometimes even advocated retreating in order to avoid dying. Being used to the "Lawful Stupid" paladin archetype, this was seen as downright cowardly, and so she reffered to me as "Brave Sir Robin" afterwards. Eventually Georg earned more respect in the eyes of both Alizel and the rest of the party, and while she still called him by the "Brave Sir Robin" nickname, the running gag was now just good-natured ribbing instead of an insult.

Keld Denar
2010-05-02, 08:33 PM
Back when I played Living Greyhawk, there was a core module set in Tehn, and I swear that every single important NPC in the module had a name that sounded VERY similar to an STD. It had most of us rolling on the ground before the DM had even finished with the opening boxed text...

Escheton
2010-05-02, 08:34 PM
bitchfist for the fist of stone spell.
pimphand for the dread necro touch attack

balistafreak
2010-05-02, 08:36 PM
For example there was an orc mage who was supposed to die in an encounter but escaped. He became a recurring villain. We found the idea of an orc wizard so absurd we called him monocle orc. After a couple sessions with monocle orc escaping, the DM gave him a magic monocle. We never managed to kill him.

That reminds me of Unforgotten Realms. Funny little show.

"Dude, he's totally a wizard."

"... he's a zomb-"

"He's wearing a monocle! Everyone knows that wizards wear monocles!"

"Wait, let's rethink this. That spider's obviously a very powerful wizard!"

"Wait, how do you know?"

"He has EIGHT MONOCLES!"

The Rabbler
2010-05-02, 08:40 PM
our warmage/incantrix can pimp out his blasts with lots of metamagic. when he does, he casts them by yelling "I'MA CHARGIN' MA LAYZER".

when he casts stuff without metamagic, he yells "KAAAAAAMMMMMMMMEEEEEEEEEEHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAM MEEEEEEEE..." you get the idea.

and finally, if he ever casts magic missile, he alerts us with a simple "pew pew."

balistafreak
2010-05-02, 08:47 PM
Thank you, sir. That was incredibly stupid on my part. :smallannoyed:

Fix'd on my end.

Project_Mayhem
2010-05-02, 08:51 PM
I'm a pretty heavy offender at this one. It doesn't help that my DM is Norwegian, and some of the campaign is set in Norway. I ended up just making up names for all of the complicatedly named vampires.

Flob
2010-05-02, 08:52 PM
Just this day, me and the party couldn't remember the names of any of the major NPC's or places. We ended up calling a man named "Thraxis" something along the lines of "Raxitor" or some crap. Than there was good old Burg-Burt the Ultramit Destroyer. What a fine absolutely retarded NPC he was...

Doodleface
2010-05-02, 08:59 PM
A Cleric/RSoP of Pelor in my group is named Damien. He has the nickname 'Sunny D'.

D Knight
2010-05-02, 11:00 PM
yeah in my current group, we r play Champions not the online one, my friend has the nickname of Doctor Comatose. you ask why? well its because of ever npc he a hit with ether his foot or fist has ended up in a coma form the mass amount of stun.

Dr Bwaa
2010-05-03, 01:07 AM
This happens all the time in my groups. One player in particular renamed every single party member and NPC he came across. Unfortunately I can't remember any of the good ones now. He did nickname a fellow party member "Elf-Boots." She was a fey'ri. She was not amused. :smallamused:

Fallbot
2010-05-03, 04:55 AM
One player named his sorceress something utterly unpronounceable fully of Vs and Zs so we renamed her Daisy, both in and out of character.

A recurring unnamed assassin has been dubbed 'Evil Jawa Lady' (Because she looks like an evil jawa. We're very creative), which kind of kills the drama whenever we find the mutilated corpses of her victims.

Thajocoth
2010-05-03, 05:08 AM
A couple of my allies in this one game accepted a deal to advertise for an adventuring gear place called "The Tooth and Scabbard". It took a while for the one character to remember it right. Attempt 1: "Elfman's", got the elf guy running the place nervous. A couple other attempts: "The Shield and Tabbard", "The Sword and Scabbard"

Now that he's got the name right though (and a sticker on the end of his halberd saying to shop there (the pointy end)), his new battlecries are the scariest yet. "Shop at the Tooth and Scabbard!", "If you get raised by your friends, shop at the Tooth and Scabbard!", "Look at how well this pierces your cruddy armor. You should've shopped at the Tooth and Scabbard!", followed by posing so the sticker is visible to bystanders.

TheYoungKing
2010-05-03, 06:53 AM
During a SWSE campaign, a DM used my character being confused for a bounty as a plot hook in one session. Well, after escaping those bounty hunters and getting a bounty license, we proceeded to drop hints- everywhere- that I was really him (guy's name was Garvus, IIRC). Rob a Hutt crime lord? Garvus, remember the name. We get robbed- guy named Garvus did it. Sabotage of our mission on Dantooine? We believe it was an outlaw named Garvus. We eventually decided that he had a Destiny of Blame, wherever he was. (seeing as we never actually met him)

And a really old anime campaign involved me renaming a character Claude Speed, and making premature ejaculation jokes. Don't really remember why.....

KurtKatze
2010-05-03, 07:40 AM
'As a DM i really really dislike this renaming thing...
I mean honestly you don't have to remember every single NPC's name but if they all end up in twisted version of their real names i will and i swear i will have a whole town full of people whose name will be Johnny/Jenny for the sake of both confusing the players and give them the chance to adress NPC's right for the first time in their fantasy lives... -.-'