PDA

View Full Version : A Battle of Wits, Will and Words.

Mathis
2010-05-02, 08:23 PM
Most of you have been in one. An argument, a discussion, a battle of wits, will and words. But what is really the point of a discussion? Is it just to win? To make the most convincing set of logical arguments regardless of their truth? Or is the point of an argument to find objective truth about the topics we discuss? Is reaching an agreement with the person with which we are talking what we should strive for? What says the playground?

The point of this thread will be to probe what the playground thinks of the countless arguments that go on in it, to make an attempt at settling what the goals of the discussions we hold with eachother should be.

No definite answer is expected.

Flickerdart
2010-05-02, 08:49 PM
The point of an argument is to prove that Monks can't beat Wizards. Every single debate will eventually boil down to this.

druid91
2010-05-02, 08:52 PM
Ah but they can! the monks player gets the rest of the group tired and when they are asleep they conspire with the dm to kill the wizard.

Thajocoth
2010-05-02, 09:07 PM
I simply find them annoying and try to avoid participation when possible. I am far too easily sucked into debates when I see people say such incredibly incorrect things... The point of my response in such situations is never to join a debate, but to correct an error in some misinformed supposed "fact" of someone else who posted. The fact that they respond stubbornly with more misinformation, or respond by citing incredibly unreliable sources, makes it more frustrating than talking to a brick wall.

For things that are a simple matter of opinion, like this, I usually just express my opinion and that's that. Opinions aren't really debatable... They are what they are. Differing opinions don't annoy me. Ignorantly false "facts" do.

raitalin
2010-05-02, 09:08 PM
The purpose of an argument *should* be to learn the other person's point of view.

Usually it just comes down to satisfying your own righteousness.

druid91
2010-05-02, 09:26 PM
No the point is to have fun enjoying the argument.

mucat
2010-05-02, 09:29 PM
The point of an argument is that someone is wrong on the internet (http://xkcd.com/386/).

If you don't argue with them, they will keep being wrong!

Pyrian
2010-05-02, 09:38 PM
I need to keep a framed copy of that comic by my monitor.

Zocelot
2010-05-02, 09:40 PM
Most people know what's best for them, and usually that's not what's best for you. The point of an argument is to try to convince them to do what's best for you instead of what's best for them.

Alternatively, it can be about feeling superior.

Partof1
2010-05-02, 10:18 PM
Well, everyone, no matter what they say, wants control of the world. Bending others to your will, even in trivial matters, is a step in the right direction.

Also, I need to consciously avoid debates about music like the plague. I get rather, ah, let's say, overzealous in defending my classic rock.

golentan
2010-05-02, 10:26 PM
The purpose of argument is two ideas, crashing together in conflict and fire and each unwilling to yield. Afterwards, you examine your own idea for flaws and dents left by the other, and repair them (not in the manner in which they were built before) or discard them (possibly up to and including the whole idea), incorporating the strength of the enemy's steel into your own work so that the next time you meet someone on the battlefield of the mind with regards to the subject you are better armed than you were before. Little by little, you advance in your thinking, gaining strength with each challenge, growing stronger the more impossible the odds were arrayed against you. That's how a drill works! Yes I just realized I sound like the cast of gurren lagann, and decided to poke fun at myself for it.

thubby
2010-05-02, 10:50 PM
The purpose of argument is two ideas, crashing together in conflict and fire and each unwilling to yield. Afterwards, you examine your own idea for flaws and dents left by the other, and repair them (not in the manner in which they were built before) or discard them (possibly up to and including the whole idea), incorporating the strength of the enemy's steel into your own work so that the next time you meet someone on the battlefield of the mind with regards to the subject you are better armed than you were before. Little by little, you advance in your thinking, gaining strength with each challenge, growing stronger the more impossible the odds were arrayed against you. That's how a drill works! Yes I just realized I sound like the cast of gurren lagann, and decided to poke fun at myself for it.

ladies, gentlemen...and whatever golentan is. we have a winner.

Maximum Zersk
2010-05-02, 11:00 PM

Golentan, who the hell do you think we are, exactly?

By the way, awesomeness.

Cleverdan22
2010-05-03, 01:13 AM
Oh man, this one time, there was this girl I liked, right? And there was this Sicilian jerk who stole her away. After fighting through his buddies, I finally engaged him in a battle of wits, leading him to believe that I had poisoned one of our drinks, when really, I poisoned both, having built up an immunity to said poison. What a wild ride. :smallwink:

Rutskarn
2010-05-03, 01:32 AM
The purpose of an argument *should* be to learn the other person's point of view.

That should be your first goal in an argument, but that alone is just a discussion. Once you've acquired the alternate perspective, you should try to dismantle it as logically as possible.

If you fail to do so, that's when you give serious thought to adopting their position.

Lord Raziere
2010-05-03, 01:34 AM
the goal of an argument is to be human. :smallamused:

Rutskarn
2010-05-03, 01:37 AM
the goal of an argument is to be human. :smallamused:

Mission accomplished?

Krade
2010-05-03, 01:38 AM
Thank You For Smoking is one of my favorite movies of all time. I wish my dad were still alive so he could see it because I know he would have loved it. The irony of this situation is that he died of lung cancer from smoking. I am aware of how horrible it is that I find this humorous, but I'm sure he would have thought it was kinda funny, too.

That said, the art (and it is an art) of speaking well is the one that I most desire to be a master of. I feel I'm pretty good now, but I need more formal classes before I can consider myself any kind of pro.

Lord Raziere
2010-05-03, 01:39 AM
Mission accomplished?

It is always accomplished, and is accomplished before you set out to do so,
for humanity improves through conflict and challenges, and therefore, to improve, change and move on through a challenge or conflict is to be human.

therefore humanity is improvement.

_Zoot_
2010-05-03, 02:38 AM

This puts what I feel that an argument should be about very well, if a bit over dramatically =D

Or an argument should be about who is at fault for not cleaning the dishes, and I can tell you, it is always my brother. Always. (:smalltongue:)

Lioness
2010-05-03, 08:04 AM
Is this the right room for an argument?

Lord Raziere
2010-05-03, 08:08 AM
Is this the right room for an argument?

some would argue that, yes.

Griever
2010-05-03, 11:29 AM
Mentioning Hitler.