PDA

View Full Version : Mounted PrC: In Need of Mounts

Fraggranark
2010-05-02, 08:30 PM
I'm making a Riding based Prestige Class for my campaign setting. Its a Psionic class (requiring at least a single point Power Reserve so Psionic races can get in without using a feat to get wild talent) where the mount is a creature imbedded with psionic crystals at birth and raised as a mount until somone with a level in this class (either Psi-Meld Rider or Mind-Bound Rider but suggestions are welcome). The Rider and Mount form a Mind-link which gets stronger as they level up.
What I am in need of at the moment are mounts. If anyone has ideas about different creatures to use other then horses and dinosaurs (inspired by Eberron Halflings) I would like to hear them. War Dogs and Large Wolves are already on the list. As I work out the details I'll edit this with the actual build. I'm using Pathfinder with Dreamscarred/homebrew for Psionics.

On a side note, I'm thinking of making something based on the whole Animal Mindlink Crystals thing but with the character controlling animals in combat.

Flickerdart
2010-05-02, 08:31 PM
Wyverns, griffons and Giant Eagles are popular flying mounts.

Darrin
2010-05-02, 09:02 PM
Any animal plus the Warbeast template (MM2) will make a very fine mount, although animals with 2HD, 5HD, or 8HD are probably best (the +1 HD from Warbeast gets them a bonus feat). I was going to add the Phrenic template, but that boosts Int, and animals with higher than 3 Int generally become magical beasts... you can still use them as mounts, although the DMG suggests you use Diplomacy instead of Handle Animal.

Phynxkin (Dragon Magic, 1HD) might start off a little weak, but it's available as an animal companion to Druids and Rangers, and is the only medium four-legged 1HD animal that can be used as the basis for a Tauric Template Monstrousity. The Dire version (large animal, 6HD) makes for a very nice upgrade.

Brixashulty (Races of the Wild, 2HD) makes a very fine War Goat.

Footpad Lizard (Drow of the Underdark, 5HD) has some interesting possibilties: reach, improved grab, climb up walls.

Cave Triceratops (Miniatures Handbook, 8HD) is a large animal with 3d6+6 trample damage.

Some magical beasts make interesting mounts:

Ashworm (Sandstorm, 3HD) + Burrower's Saddle (Races of Stone) I thought might have some interesting possibilities but I'm not sure the fuss and bother of the saddle is worth it.

Stone Flyer (FR Underdark, 5HD) = Either an "I win" button or "Completely Ruin the DM's Night" button. Watch him pull force walls out of his derry-air faster than Otiluke's Expeditious But Flimsy Excuse.

gbprime
2010-05-02, 09:19 PM
I'm partial to a Hippogriff as a fantastic mount, myself. High ground and fly move, good carry capacity, omnivorous, lowlight and scent. And it's relatively low hit dice allow you to add bonus HD quickly if you manage to take one as a special mount or animal companion. (The magical beast type making it not widely available to druid or ranger.)

Fraggranark
2010-05-02, 09:51 PM
Well, these are all wonderful suggestions. When I get home to my books I'll look them up. Gonna be a lot of options mountwise. But generally none magic animals are prefered, since by higher levels the minds of the Mount and Rider become closer to the point the Mount seems like simply another limb to the Rider. Though I'm working out how the Rider is affected by having such a close mental bond to an animal.

Eldariel
2010-05-03, 12:15 PM
Nightmare [MM1] is one of the most pimp mounts ever. Etherealness and Astral Projection as spell-likes, flaming hooves to create clouds of concealment, flight and yeah, it looks awesome (http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/MM35_gallery/MM35_PG195.jpg). They are, however, magical but I feel it's just a crime to skip them when listing awesome mounts.

Lycanthromancer
2010-05-03, 12:35 PM
Psicrystal.

No, really. It scales with your level, and once you get metamorphosis (and buy and/or craft a skin of proteus) it makes a fantastic ride. It keeps all of its psicrystal granted abilities (including flight and natural armor bonuses), and you can manifest vigor and share pain on it to reduce damage taken.

What about a rust monster (make it pseudonatural!)? Train it not to eat your equipment, and those things get really nasty really quick.

Eloel
2010-05-03, 12:40 PM
I'm a huge fan of rhino mounts. The image it creates is worth jumping through hoops to get.

Choco
2010-05-03, 02:25 PM
The biggest, baddest non-intelligent beast you can find.

Giant spiders, sandworms, bears, they are all fun.

Flob
2010-05-03, 04:03 PM
I'm a fan of bears personally. Like this one that's still in progress for my current psionic character. Magebred Dire Bear Warbeast (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=151175). I do need some help finishing it up though... I would recommend forcing a choice at the first level of the class, and allow just about anything based on character level.

Lycanthromancer
2010-05-03, 05:49 PM
Dire weasel. The stats aren't on par with something like a dire bear, but look at that! CON DRAIN.

Con. Drain.

Seriously, say it again. Con drain.

Does a swarm count? Because you could totally ride a weasel swarm.

arguskos
2010-05-03, 05:52 PM
Bears. Spellcasting bears. Spellcasting artificer bears. Spellcasting artificer bears who can teleport.

Bears with lasers.

Cows with guns (cookie for the reference).

There's lots of options. A serious one is the dinosaurs from MM3, including the Battletitan. Also, don't forget the Ironclad Mauler from the same book.

Vaynor
2010-05-03, 05:54 PM
Bears. Spellcasting bears. Spellcasting artificer bears. Spellcasting artificer bears who can teleport.

Bears with lasers.

There's lots of options. A serious one is the dinosaurs from MM3, including the Battletitan. Also, don't forget the Ironclad Mauler from the same book.

Reference. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQMbXvn2RNI)

In my opinion, ride a gelatinous cube.

herrhauptmann
2010-05-03, 08:58 PM

Bears with lasers.

Welcome to Moo Mesa (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_zbeX6yoRI)
BTW: I think you've been reading a little too much of the Bearington McBear werebear bearwarrior etc thread.

Lycanthromancer
2010-05-03, 09:00 PM
BTW: I think you've been reading a little too much of the Bearington McBear werebear bearwarrior etc thread.This bears repeating.

As does this.

And this.

This too.

Also, this.

And this, as well.

And this one, whether you like it or not.

aivanther
2010-05-04, 10:16 AM
Rust Dragon! Though, you may want to grab blueshine and everbright enchantments for your whole party first, just in case of accidents.

Fraggranark
2010-05-05, 01:25 AM
Well, this seems to have lead off topic but I like how you're all thinking (exceot you. You know who I mean).

But yes, the choice is made at first level. I'm trying to restrict it to relatively mundane animals (dinosaurs actually existed that means they're mundane...right?). The emphasis is on the fact what you have as your main class before hand effects how you play this. For example, an ability which benefits either manifesting a power, making melee attacks or using a ranged weapon from mount-back with choice made at the level you get it.

But the psicrystal idea got me thinking. If a Psion (or other psionic who took the feat) takes levels they could fuse their crystal with the implants to enhance the effect and quicken the near-fusion of minds.

As for dragons, in my world a significant porption (30-40%) want to wipe out everything thats not them and are only held back by the rest being neutral ("We don't care, just don't make trouble for us") or good ("Since we're so awesome we should help them and make them just as...nearly as awesome as us") anyone who tried would find they react...badly, to say the least.

arguskos
2010-05-05, 01:28 AM
BTW: I think you've been reading a little too much of the Bearington McBear werebear bearwarrior etc thread.
1. That link TERRIFIES ME.

2. No, actually, Vaynor got it. :smalltongue:

3. I like bears dammit. :smallbiggrin:

4. This is why you need to implement bears: awesome incarnate (http://www.cold-moon.com/images/Motivators/Equipment/Bear%20Cavalry.jpg).

The Cat Goddess
2010-05-05, 02:06 AM
The 3.0 Arms & Equipment Manual has some interesting Mounts and equipment for Mounts. Climbing Dogs & Blink Dogs make great Mounts for small races.

Thurbane
2010-05-05, 02:31 AM
I know you said other than horses, but I believe Ultra Heavy Warhorse (http://www.dmtools.org/details.php?id=1340) deserves a mention. :smallbiggrin:

Choco
2010-05-05, 08:15 AM
But yes, the choice is made at first level. I'm trying to restrict it to relatively mundane animals (dinosaurs actually existed that means they're mundane...right?).

Well, in that case, T-REX MOUNTS FOR EVERYONE!!

Person_Man
2010-05-05, 08:46 AM
What's the "intended" entry for the Psi-Mount PrC? The reason I ask is that you might have a design problem.

The primary reason to play a mounted build is that it gives you a good mix of mobility (mount), battlefield control (lance with Trip/Bull Rush/Stand Still), and high damage output (lance -> Mounted Combat -> Ride By Attack -> Spirited Charge + Power Attack + Pounce), and that it's playable at every level.

This doesn't mesh well with psionic base classes, which lack full full BAB. So you can either play something like a Psychic Warrior/Psy-Mount and give up the primary reason for playing a mounted build, or you can play something like a Paladin/Psi-Mount and not progress psionic powers, which makes Wild Talent a pointless feat tax and being psionic functionally nothing but fluff.

On topic: I'm fond of letting players choose their own mounts. You could give it Paladin Mount progression, or something similar.

DragoonWraith
2010-05-05, 12:32 PM
Coolest mount in 3.5 is in Sandstorm - you can ride a tornado. Seriously.

Thurbane
2010-05-05, 04:37 PM
...if only you could Ride the Lightning... :smallbiggrin:

gbprime
2010-05-05, 10:11 PM
...if only you could Ride the Lightning... :smallbiggrin:

Find a way to shrink yourself to size Tiny and you can. Sort of... :smalltongue:

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/MM35_gallery/MM35_PG224.jpg

avr
2010-05-05, 10:31 PM
I was in a game where a really ugly goblin druid rode one of these:

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/direBat.htm

Lycanthromancer
2010-05-05, 10:43 PM
How about a succubus?

...What? They're shapeshifters.