PDA

View Full Version : Riding an unwilling steed.

huttj509
2010-05-02, 09:27 PM
Having trouble finding rules for this.

Situation: Big Bad flew into castle courtyard on a dragon and went to kill king. Party reaches courtyard and fights dragon. Halfling, realising the dragon has a saddle, wants to shadow step (swordsage maneuver, don't recall exact name) into the saddle. Well, I decide to allow it, because the maneuver doesn't say otherwise and it earns awesome points, but there was nothing for the mount TRYING to throw someone off that I could find. Closest was a DC 5 ride check for staying on a mount rearing up from being struck in battle, which seemed WAY too low.

It became moot, as I ruled that if the fighter/swordsage wanted to leap into the air and strike the dragon while the rogue was in the saddle (another maneuver), there'd be a 20% chance of hitting the halfling, and the fighter rolled a 16% (halfling said 'go for it'). One unconscious halfling later he slid out of the saddle and was no longer riding, but still wanna know thoughts on how to adjucate such a situation.

Greenish
2010-05-02, 09:31 PM
there'd be a 20% chance of hitting the halfling:smallconfused:

That's one small dragon, if you can't reliably hit it without hitting a halfling riding it.

Anyway, wouldn't it be a grapple check to keep hold of the dragon? :smallbiggrin:

Lysander
2010-05-02, 09:32 PM
I'd say this requires a grapple check instead of a ride check, perhaps adding their ride skill rank as a circumstance bonus because of the saddle.

huttj509
2010-05-02, 09:38 PM
:smallconfused:

That's one small dragon, if you can't reliably hit it without hitting a halfling riding it.

Anyway, wouldn't it be a grapple check to keep hold of the dragon? :smallbiggrin:

M size dragon. I ad-hoc'd it for roundish numbers.

Prob shoulda been a grapple check, but coulf the dragon really grapple without being able to reach with claws/jaws easily?

Greenish
2010-05-02, 09:48 PM
M size dragon. I ad-hoc'd it for roundish numbers.Ah, I didn't imagine the big bad to be small. :smalltongue:

Prob shoulda been a grapple check, but coulf the dragon really grapple without being able to reach with claws/jaws easily?Sure, just be shaking itself for example, or beating it's wings, or something. It's the closest thing in the rules I could think of.

Lycanthromancer
2010-05-02, 10:02 PM
Just remember, unconscious creatures are considered willing. :smallwink:

Greenish
2010-05-02, 10:04 PM
Just remember, unconscious creatures are considered willing. :smallwink:That rule makes sense in the context, but is downright creepy when taken out of it.