PDA

View Full Version : Things I learn as I build my dungeon

Darcand
2010-05-03, 02:29 AM
A useful practice or two I thought I would share.

I have recently begun constructing my own dungeon tiles out of empty cardboard boxes I save from work. I cut them into smaller panels, draw a grid with a ruler, and do a heavy black outline around the edges with a thick Sharpie marker. I have about 30 generic rooms and hallways collected from making specific rooms when I don't have one that works and then saving the tiles after. I am also considering taking the extra step to spray paint them primer gray before doing the grids, to give them just a slightly more finished look.

Also, as a tip to anyone making maps for miniature play, make your rooms unrealistically large. A 10x20 room sounds large, but that's because in real life we don't take up 25 square feet of floor space each and travel in groups of 3+. I very seldom use rooms smaller then five spaces wide, and often go much, much larger then that.

There are two tips to kick us off. Let me know what you think and I would love to hear how you make your play area better!

Irreverent Fool
2010-05-03, 04:04 AM
You may want to delete your other thread. It appears you double-posted.http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=151229

If you're going to prime your tiles, I'd recommend using a sealant or varnish of some sort, as primer likes to chip off after awhile.

I definitely agree on the unrealistically large rooms. This is especially important when running modules. While a 50' x 50' chamber would be pretty impressive in real life, RPGs are frequently about grand structures. I always try to think of the Dwarven halls in the Lord of the Rings movie. It's especially annoying when running modules. I tend to double room sizes most of the time, unless it's specifically supposed to be cramped. Large rooms allow for combat maneuvering and tactics. Small rooms turn everything into a simple trading of blows and makes most medium- and long- range spells just silly.

I rarely use tiles, simply because it's one more thing to keep track of. However, I have seen some people who play on metal tables affix strip magnets (available in most craft stores) to the backs of their tiles to prevent them from sliding about. This is my primary problem with dungeon tiles.

obnoxious
sig