PDA

View Full Version : Utility Races? (3.5)

Alleine
2010-05-03, 02:31 AM
Some races have some just plain useful abilities, such as the elf and dwarf abilities to notice secret doors/unusual stonework. As useful as they are I have no real desire to play a normal elf rogue who is just unnaturally good at finding doors, I want a character who uses other races a kind of utility belt. Ideally I was thinking a Large sized character, possibly a half ogre thrallherd who naturally accumulates creatures of specific races that would be useful to them.

The question is, are there any other such races who could be useful all throughout a campaign using specialized racial abilities?

nekomata2
2010-05-03, 02:41 AM
Tibbit. Turning into a cat is never not useful, and Kalashtar get a free mindlink.

Greenish
2010-05-03, 02:47 AM
Buomman. Doesn't do anything useful, but will never interrupt you when you're speaking, speak about you behind your back or complain about anything.

Divide by Zero
2010-05-03, 02:56 AM
Kender. It's impossible to hate them, and such a thing is always useful.

Seffbasilisk
2010-05-03, 03:40 AM
Grimlocks.

Optimystik
2010-05-03, 06:28 AM
Buomman. Doesn't do anything useful, but will never interrupt you when you're speaking, speak about you behind your back or complain about anything.

They willl, however, grunt, ululate and babble about you behind your back.

*pumps shotgun*
We don' take kindly to yer types roun' here, boy...

Togo
2010-05-03, 06:55 AM
Kuo-Toa is pretty useful throughout.

Gnaeus
2010-05-03, 08:25 AM

Are you being sarcastic? I loathe all kender ever created everywhere. I would lose paladin status to murder a kender in his sleep for no reason other than his kenderness.

Edit: If I were DM'ing, I would never impose alignment problems on a player for the murder of kender, because killing them is so obviously the will of the gods. Murdering their children so that they can never grow up to be adult kender is clearly a good aligned act.

Malificus
2010-05-03, 09:04 AM
Are you being sarcastic? I loathe all kender ever created everywhere. I would lose paladin status to murder a kender in his sleep for no reason other than his kenderness.

No, everyone loving them is part of their description.

Gnaeus
2010-05-03, 09:23 AM
No, everyone loving them is part of their description.

Then their description fails utterly.

Divide by Zero
2010-05-03, 09:36 AM
Man, you people are all crazy.

Malificus
2010-05-03, 10:09 AM
Then their description fails utterly.
You just figured that out? The description where they "borrow" things without asking, which is only distinguishable from stealing by them. The description that says they are completely pure, and to lose their innocence would be a dire blow to society. The description that says only the most closed minded of individual could even dislike them. The description that says they actually hate stealing, despite the first point. You just now figured out that that description fails.

Gnaeus
2010-05-03, 10:13 AM
I can't recall ever reading the text description of kender to realize how bad it was. I hate them from the novels. I hate them more from having seen PCs play them. I'm pretty sure I skipped their flavor text in the campaign supplements.

Alleine
2010-05-03, 10:21 AM
Tibbit. Turning into a cat is never not useful, and Kalashtar get a free mindlink.

Nice, definitely some use there. Didn't even think about scouting or communication uses.

Ah, kender. Those would definitely NOT be a useful race, luckily I've never had to deal with them, no one has the source book that contains them.