PDA

View Full Version : Would this be overpowered?

Geiger Counter
2010-05-03, 06:19 AM
A feat that increased the number of skills you received per level?
So many now and +1 every level there after?
A feat that made a bad save good?
A feat that made bad BAB into medium BAB?
A feat that made medium BAB into good BAB?

Yuki Akuma
2010-05-03, 06:25 AM
The first is Nymph's Kiss.

Feats that change BaB probably aren't a good idea, although there is a weapon enhancement for it so if you really wanted to you could get Ancestral Relic (I think that was the feat) and get a +1 Skillful weapon...

Foryn Gilnith
2010-05-03, 06:27 AM
I think the first exists, somewhere. Possibly as an Exalted feat.
The second seems a bit difficult to adjudicate with multiclasses, but it seems like an Iron Will/Lightning Reflexes/etc. that scales up to +6. Might want a prerequisite on that; I'm not sure.

PId6
2010-05-03, 06:31 AM
None of them are overpowered, though they could easily have conflicts with multiclassing. Nymph's Kiss already gives an extra skill point per level plus more, and the Iron Will/etc line of feats are underpowered anyway. The bab ones might be a bit more troublesome, but casters don't really care that much about bab, and rogues/swordsages would benefit most from those feats, so I'd say they're perfectly fine.

Il_Vec
2010-05-03, 06:37 AM

Skill points would be maybe too good, but not broken. There are many feats to enhance saves, if that feat had as a feat tax the fixed bonus one, I don't think it would be overpowered to trade 2 feats for a good save.
Augmenting BAB...Well, that is a little more complicated, for system balance... There would have to have restrictions, such as having augmented Bab in certain circunstances, for example: full BaB when sneak-attackin, full bab only with one chosen weapon... And I still think it would be too good, because Full Bab is the only thing some classes have to make them worthwhile. You'd have to give them something as well. (Such as a feat that grants you the spellcasting of a Bard/ Adept/ Duskblade)...
Balance issues will still exist... Maybe yes, overpowered. But, could work if handled with care.

Anxe
2010-05-03, 09:07 AM
I think there are already a few feats in Complete Adventurer that let you use one of your saves for another. Example: You could use Ref instead of Will. I think they had limitations, but they'd be a good baseline to design more from.

EDIT: And the BAB one's sound like a bad idea to me, but if you wanted to design one you could. Compare the Skillful weapon enhancement to the Cleaving enhancement and then compare the Skillful feat you design to the Cleave feat. The comparison should be about equal.

The Glyphstone
2010-05-03, 09:16 AM
A feat for Medium BAB might be too good or okay, since as mentioned there exists the Skillfull enchancement. A Full BAB feat would be far overpowered - it's effectively continuous Divine Power for a feat, which is amazingly good.

pffh
2010-05-03, 09:23 AM
If you paired the bad to good saves feat with a bad feat say:
Improved fortitude:
Prerequisites: Toughness
Improves fort saves from bad to good

Improved reflexes:
Prerequisites: Dodge
Improves reflex saves from bad to good

Improved willpower:
Prerequisites: Can't think of any feat but I'm sure there is one
Improves will saves from bad to good

You could also do this with the bab feats but make weapon focus prerequisite.

Example:
Improved attack bonus
Prerequisites:Weapon focus
Benefit: When wielding a weapon you have the weapon focus feat for treat your base attack bonus as one step higher (bad to medium, medium to good)

Greater attack bonus
Prerequisites: Improved attack bonus, weapon focus
When wielding a weapon you have the weapon focus feat for treat your base attack bonus as two step higher (bad to good)

Il_Vec
2010-05-03, 11:07 AM
Greater attack bonus
Prerequisites: Improved attack bonus, weapon focus
When wielding a weapon you have the weapon focus feat for treat your base attack bonus as two step higher (bad to good)

What happens if a swordsage gets this feat?

pffh
2010-05-03, 11:18 AM

Melee can have nice things?

Kylarra
2010-05-03, 11:20 AM
They've wasted a feat? Or in some cases cycled to poor BAB. :smallwink:

Il_Vec
2010-05-03, 11:34 AM
What I mean is, there are some classes that the only relevant feature is the superior BAB... It would only be "fair" if there was a feat to get full-Bab non-ToB classes casting or ToB-like manuever progression...

Malificus
2010-05-03, 11:35 AM

What happens if a Crusader does?

Just make one of the prerequisites for the first one a non full BAB, and the second one has a prereq of a bad BAB

Yuki Akuma
2010-05-03, 11:39 AM
What I mean is, there are some classes that the only relevant feature is the superior BAB... It would only be "fair" if there was a feat to get full-Bab non-ToB classes casting or ToB-like manuever progression...

There is precisely one class whose only ability is 1/1 BaB. The Warrior. Which is meant to be weak.

Saph
2010-05-03, 11:45 AM

These are probably fine; they're basically Nymph's Kiss and Great Fortitude/Lightning Reflexes/Iron Will. You'd have to work out how they interacted with multiclassing though.

Not recommended; it mainly buffs wizards, sorcerers, clerics, and druids, who don't need the help.

sonofzeal
2010-05-03, 11:50 AM

I'll try my own attempt....

Improved Skillfulness
Prerequisites: Skill Focus (any skill)
Benefit: You gain one bonus skillpoint per level. This stacks with the human bonus skillpoint.

Improved Fortitude
Prerequisites: Great Fortitude
Benefit: Your base fortitude save is treated as a Fighter of your level, no matter your class. This stacks with the bonus from Great Fortitude.

Improved Reflexes
Prerequisites: Lightning Reflexes
Benefit: Your base reflex save is treated as a Rogue of your level, no matter your class. This stacks with the bonus from Lightning Reflexes.

Improved Will
Prerequisites: Iron Will
Benefit: Your base will save is treated as a Wizard of your level, no matter your class. This stacks with the bonus from Iron Will.

Improved Attack Bonus
Prerequisites: Weapon Focus (any weapon)
Benefit: When wielding a weapon you have the weapon focus feat for, treat your Base Attack Bonus as a Rogue of your level, or as your own, whichever is higher. This may increases your number of attacks as usual.

(I don't think there should be a feat to give people full-BAB. Steals melee thunder.)

Escheton
2010-05-03, 12:09 PM
It would give extra power to the builds and classes that can spare a feat without loosing much. And they tend to be somewhat higher tiers anyways.

drengnikrafe
2010-05-03, 12:14 PM
I have a question about those Save Improving feats. Do those apply to a single class, or to all classes? Because I can sense a bit of overpowering if you're already building something multiclassing several directions, and every one of them grants +2 to a save.

The Glyphstone
2010-05-03, 12:17 PM
If they're modified to specify "character level", then it's fine, and actually weakens characters who multiclass dip like crazy.

Mongoose87
2010-05-03, 12:37 PM
The BaB feats should really be limited to non-casters. Casters don't need any more help. Rogues, Monks and Scouts could use it, though.

The Glyphstone
2010-05-03, 12:48 PM
The BaB feats should really be limited to non-casters. Casters don't need any more help. Rogues, Monks and Scouts could use it, though.

Best way to do that is not have a Poor-to-Medium BAB feat, only a Medium-to-Good BAB feat. The only 'casters' with medium BAB already, if they exist, aren't above t3 anyways.

Kylarra
2010-05-03, 12:49 PM
Best way to do that is not have a Poor-to-Medium BAB feat, only a Medium-to-Good BAB feat. The only 'casters' with medium BAB already, if they exist, aren't above t3 anyways.
CoDs?:smallwink:

Flickerdart
2010-05-03, 12:53 PM
CoDs?:smallwink:
"Your BAB is equal to your character level. If you cast a spell or use a scroll, you lose the benefits of this feat for one day."