PDA

View Full Version : [4e] Average damage for Strikers by level 5

Mordar
2010-05-03, 11:22 AM
Hello all -

I apologize if this has been addressed ad nauseam already - whenever I attempt to search the forums I end with a blank Explorer screen...and I can't view the Wizards pages from work. If there's any neat and tidy form, formula or format for expressing what is viewed as average damage per striker level, that'd be swell.

Since there almost certainly is not, perhaps I should simply ask my question this way: At 5th level, are the following acceptable at-will "Striking" for a non-Ranger using a +2 magic item (note that "at will" in this case only means that it does not require expending an Encounter, Utility or Daily power):

(+12 to hit AC)
Minimum damage: 14 hp
Average damage: 20 hp
Max damage (non-crit): 26 hp
Max damage (crit): 34 hp

(+12 to hit AC, -2 hp per attack)
Minimum damage: 20 hp
Average damage: 26 hp
Max damage (non-crit): 32 hp
Max damage (crit): 40 hp

Thanks in advance for any commentary! I've intentionally left the class off the post to avoid any focus beyond damage for the Striker role. This particular striker does not, at this point, generate status effects or the like, but does very frequently have Combat Advantage (not included in the +12 to hit) and can, thanks to a small house ruling tweak, do the following as an encounter power:

(+12 to hit AC, -2 hp per attack)
Minimum damage: 22 hp
Average damage: 33 hp
Max damage (non-crit): 44 hp
Max damage (crit): 52 hp

Again, thanks!

- M

Anasazi
2010-05-03, 01:41 PM
Your abilities are on the higher end of damage for strikers assuming you're not adding in feat or daily bonuses to your damage output.
Basic @will damage for level 5's, without feats or daily bonus', counting a +6 from stat, and the +2 from the weapon:
Warlock: 10-26
Sorcerer: 15-25
Ranger: 7-26
Rogue: 11-24
Avenger: 9-20
Barbarian: 10-28
Monk: 17-27

randomhero00
2010-05-03, 01:44 PM
Its high but not too far off.

Mando Knight
2010-05-03, 01:48 PM
counting a +6 from stat,

You can't have +6 to damage from just your stat by level 5. Most you can manage is +5, and that's if you go whole-hog. Probably only Archer Rangers and some Rogues can really get away with a 20 in their main stat, since they get the AC boost from it...

However, it is in line with adding the single most common damage-boosting feat in the game: Weapon Focus.

Anasazi
2010-05-03, 03:33 PM
You can't have +6 to damage from just your stat by level 5. Most you can manage is +5, and that's if you go whole-hog. Probably only Archer Rangers and some Rogues can really get away with a 20 in their main stat, since they get the AC boost from it...

However, it is in line with adding the single most common damage-boosting feat in the game: Weapon Focus.

yes yes, my bad, minus 2 from all those damage ranges. I actually ment to only calculate a base 18 stat (+4) and accidently included the half-level adjusted stats.

cupkeyk
2010-05-03, 06:17 PM
I have a general rule about DPR: You should be able to bloody yourself with a single hit from an at-will attack, and you should hit yourself 50% of the time. This is because monsters have 200%-500% of your hitpoints and just approximately the same if not lower defences.

randomhero00
2010-05-03, 06:57 PM
I have a general rule about DPR: You should be able to bloody yourself with a single hit from an at-will attack, and you should hit yourself 50% of the time. This is because monsters have 200%-500% of your hitpoints and just approximately the same if not lower defences.

I hope you meant strikers should be able to bloody themselves with a crit. Cause if a warden can bloody himself with an at will, with average damage, your game has a problem...

cupkeyk
2010-05-03, 07:02 PM
I hope you meant strikers should be able to bloody themselves with a crit. Cause if a warden can bloody himself with an at will, with average damage, your game has a problem...

the thread is about strikers, so yes, i meant strikers. but no i don't mean crit, but hit. strikers should be able to bloody themselves with a hit. At level 1, you should be able to kill yourself with a daily, (not drop below zero but deal enough damage to put you your bloodied value past negatives.) of course this phenomenon only happens at level 1.

Yakk
2010-05-03, 07:05 PM
Add up your encounter powers.
Add at-wills until you hit 6 rounds.
Assume 50% hit rate. (if you are super-accurate, assume higher)

At this point, a striker should be doing at least 9 times (level+4) damage. That means you can bring down 1.5 monsters in 6 rounds as a striker (solo).

Ignoring the encounter power, you deal 10 DPR at 50% hit rate. After 6 rounds that is 60 damage. 8 times (5+3) is 72.

At level 5, +12 to hit is good -- a typical monster has 19 AC. So your hit rate is closer to 70%. So with at-wills, you are doing a good 84 damage over 6 rounds. Then add on encounter powers, and you are probably killing 2 normal even-level monsters in 6 rounds of fighting.

That is acceptable for a striker.

randomhero00
2010-05-03, 07:20 PM
the thread is about strikers, so yes, i meant strikers. but no i don't mean crit, but hit. strikers should be able to bloody themselves with a hit.

I could be forgetting something, but my level 8 ranger is fairly optimized. He does an average, at will, of 22 damage (2d12 + 1d8 + 6) and has 61 hps. That's 8 damage off from being bloodied.

cupkeyk
2010-05-03, 09:52 PM
Is that melee or ranged? Anyhoot, you may be compromising DPR for controller effects, or evasiveness. rangers are the best at the DPR game and you should get to 30 easy.

Mando Knight
2010-05-03, 11:02 PM
I could be forgetting something, but my level 8 ranger is fairly optimized. He does an average, at will, of 22 damage (2d12 + 1d8 + 6) and has 61 hps. That's 8 damage off from being bloodied.

That's 9 damage from bloodying yourself. Same-level monsters, on the other hand, can generally take about 4 of those shots before going down. Elites take about 8, and Solos take 16 or more.

chaos_redefined
2010-05-03, 11:37 PM
Umm... Taking Twin Strike, you have modifiers of your weapon (+2 at that level), and weapon expertise (+1). Since you get that twice, you get +6. Shouldn't there be some other modifiers by that level? Items, for example?

Oh... And for the record, avengers need to be calculated different. If normal characters have a hit rate of 50%, then avengers have 75%. And if a normal character has a 5% of critting, avengers get 9.75% chance. Throws off the maths a bit for calculating brute damage.

randomhero00
2010-05-03, 11:43 PM
Is that melee or ranged? Anyhoot, you may be compromising DPR for controller effects, or evasiveness. rangers are the best at the DPR game and you should get to 30 easy.

Ranged. Greatbow. Twin Strike. Please tell me how to get 30 average damage at level 8.

1d12 from greatbow, +2 from magic bow, +1 from feat, x2 arrows and 1d8 from improved quarry. How else could I boost it?

randomhero00
2010-05-03, 11:45 PM
That's 9 damage from bloodying yourself. Same-level monsters, on the other hand, can generally take about 4 of those shots before going down. Elites take about 8, and Solos take 16 or more.

err what's your point?