PDA

View Full Version : How to balance EL with a large group [3.X]

Noodles2375
2010-05-03, 02:13 PM
Hey,

I come seeking advice for a game I'll be gm'ing for. Sort of by accident, it swelled from a core group of 5, up to 7. None of the players are particularly optimized. Currently we have:

Half Elf Druid 2
Elan Ranger 1/ Psion 1
Human Fighter 1/ Wilder 1
Bard 2
Cleric 2
Wizard 2
Rogue 2

None of them are particularly optimized, some of them are new players, the older ones are familiar with 2.0 rather than the 3.X we're playing. How do I balance encounters when the PC group has such action economy? I know that single toughs would be a terrible idea with a group like this, I was thinking of trying to work in lots of red-shirts, CR 1/4 or 1/2 guys to mill around combat and try to help out any toughs. Is this usually a good strategy? Does anyone have any recommendations for building encounters for a group like this that are challenging but not overwhelming?

Thanks for reading!

Cogidubnus
2010-05-03, 02:20 PM
I'm fairly new to DMing 3.5, but I'll say these things.
1) Read this: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150252 It's the thread I started when I was having trouble. Olescamo's guide to DMing (linked on that page) is also good

2) Mooks are fine except that they're kinda vulnerable to one-hit wonders (a big problem with a group this size is the number of attacks) A small number of good enemies might work well?