PDA

View Full Version : Campaign idea: Filling the Blanks

Beowulf DW
2010-05-03, 03:08 PM
I just got an idea for a campaign, and I want to share that idea/get some input.

If you haven't read J.R.R. Tolkien's The Hobbit and you don't want anything spoiled, stop reading. Now.

Okay, so in that most beloved of stories, after the Battle of Five Armies, Bilbo, Gandalf and Beorn head north to go around Mirkwood, rather than through it. This takes them close to the Grey Mountains, which still aren't safe, even though the goblins were defeated. Tolkien writes that Bilbo and his friends got into quite a few adventures during this time, but those aren't described at all. Eventually, the three companions arrive at Beorn's house and spend a winter there.

My idea, of course, is that a D&D campaign could work nicely to fill in that little gap.

The party would have to consist of:
-a wizard (Gandalf)
-a druid (Beorn) who changes into a bear and is powerful enough to turn the tide of a pitched battle, just using his bear form
-a rogue (Bilbo of course) who has a ring that will turn one invisible

So...what trouble could this party of 3 get into that would lead to an adventure?

Altair_the_Vexed
2010-05-03, 04:42 PM
I assume you're going to make these characters more or less the same level, unlike the book, where they're almost certainly not.

As I understand it, the Grey Mountains have a bunch of goblins, trolls and probably undead of some sort living in them.
No doubt there are also spiders still lurking around the dark canyons.
And it's beyond the mountains where the dragons still live, too.

There are plenty of orcs still left in Gundabad, too.