PDA

View Full Version : Sleep in the Playground

The Demented One
2010-05-03, 03:40 PM
Playgrounders! Does anyone have tips and tricks for getting to sleep? I am...in need of advice when it comes to that thing. :smallconfused:

Ilena
2010-05-03, 03:42 PM
I find a 2x4 helps :P But no in all seriousness calcium and mag pills tend to help me if i really need it, though i find being overtired lets you sleep pretty quickly just not very good for the rest of the day.

Emperor Ing
2010-05-03, 03:48 PM
Milk. Drink it.

Mauve Shirt
2010-05-03, 03:49 PM
Have your wisdom teeth removed! I've been dozing off all afternoon!
Seriously, I find the warm milk method works. Or reading til your eyes water.

icastflare!
2010-05-03, 03:50 PM
Have your wisdom teeth removed! I've been dozing off all afternoon!
Seriously, I find the warm milk method works. Or reading til your eyes water.

the warm milk and reading thing works for me. Its what I would reccomend.

druid91
2010-05-03, 03:52 PM
Stare at the ceiling until you can simultaneously convince yourself that it does and does not exist, this is how I go to sleep.

this might give you some weird dreams.

Temotei
2010-05-03, 03:53 PM
Don't exercise for the hours before you go to bed. Muscle movement keeps you awake.

Relax. Do something that's relaxing, like reading. Watching TV is debatable, as it stimulates your eyes a bit more than usual, but a lot of people have no trouble with that. It depends on the individual.

Also, don't try to sleep. If you can't sleep, just start reading or something and then put down the book after you read for fifteen minutes.

Constant noise might help. I have a fan running in my room constantly when I sleep. The noise blocks others out and it keeps a sort of rhythm in my head, basically forcing me to sleep.

As said above, drinking milk can help. Just don't have it be freezing. I drink water before bed since I usually don't finish drinking my liquid...I don't want to deal with what's left of my milk in the morning.

Spiryt
2010-05-03, 04:14 PM
I find 2 beers much more effective than milk.

Seriously though, after drinking just one I often sleep much better.

Temotei
2010-05-03, 04:15 PM

But your sleep is less fulfilling. :smalltongue:

Also (http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/sleep/hq01387).

Mauve Shirt
2010-05-03, 04:17 PM
Also, don't be afraid of the flesh-eating bugs that are nesting in your sheets.

Spiryt
2010-05-03, 04:18 PM

Probably.

But for all I know milk is not very easy to digest too, so difference may not be that great.

Temotei
2010-05-03, 04:19 PM
Probably.

But for all I know milk is not very easy to digest too, so difference may not be that great.

Eh. You're not supposed to drink too much. A few sips should be all you drink before bed. Going to the bathroom in the middle of the night stinks.

Oh, and consistent bed times. That helps, believe it or not. It'll be hard at first, since the circadian rhythm is set to twenty-five hours usually, but you'll get over it. There will be some days you can't sleep normally, however. That's normal. :smallamused:

Spiryt
2010-05-03, 04:21 PM
Eh. You're not supposed to drink too much. A few sips should be all you drink before bed. Going to the bathroom in the middle of the night stinks.

I almost never have this problem actually.

If I must go to bathroom, I must go before sleep, or when I wake up in the morning.

But obviously, that works for me, can very much don't work for others.

Temotei
2010-05-03, 04:27 PM
I almost never have this problem actually.

If I must go to bathroom, I must go before sleep, or when I wake up in the morning.

But obviously, that works for me, can very much don't work for others.

I never get up to go to the bathroom. :smallcool: Whoo!

Another problem, though, is the whole hanging out with your stomach churning thing. It's hard to sleep when your stomach is all "blaargh."

Pyrian
2010-05-03, 04:33 PM
Benadryl. :smallamused:

Jokasti
2010-05-03, 04:53 PM
Just relax. Let mind wander. Don't think about the refridgerator's door being open or anything for that matter.

Dr.Epic
2010-05-03, 05:05 PM
What about getting up? I can sleep for well over 12 hours straight unless I absolutely have to be up (like for class). I set alarms but usually just turn it off or set it for later and go back to bed.

Lord Raziere
2010-05-03, 05:17 PM
Milk. Drink it.

garbage. :smallannoyed: I drink milk everyday and I still find myself awake at 1:00 at night.

for me.....I just imagine things, make up things for my books and ideas until I'm asleep.....

Temotei
2010-05-03, 05:31 PM
garbage. :smallannoyed: I drink milk everyday and I still find myself awake at 1:00 at night.

A light snack before bed can help promote sleep. When you pair tryptophan-containing foods with carbohydrates, it helps calms the brain and allows you to sleep better. For even better sleep, try adding extra calcium to your dinner or nighttime snack. Experiment with your food habits to determine your optimum evening meals and snacks.

Sample bedtime snacks to help you sleep:

Glass of warm milk and half a turkey or peanut butter sandwich
Whole-grain, low-sugar cereal or granola with low-fat milk or yogurt
A banana and a cup of hot chamomile tea

Generally, people sleep better when they drink milk. It's not a myth.

Danne
2010-05-03, 05:33 PM
I find a white noise machine (or a fan, air conditioner, etc.) really helps me sleep better.

If you're desperate, Benadryl and/or acetaminophen will both make you drowsy pretty fast, without having many negative side effects (unless you take them frequently over a long period of time).

On a side note, I find it bizarre that I know how to spell "acetaminophen" but I had to look up the spelling of "Tylenol."

tonberrian
2010-05-03, 05:44 PM
I find it helpful to homebrew charms, myself.

:smalltongue:

In all seriousness, though, I usually just relax and empy my mind, free from all distractions (no sound, no light, etc.). Though I've been told that's rather unusual.

Alternatively, exhaustion works well, too.

Fuzzie Fuzz
2010-05-03, 05:45 PM
Sleep in the playground? I tried that once, but the cops told me I had to leave... :smallfrown:

I kid, of course...

Lord Raziere
2010-05-03, 05:52 PM
Generally, people sleep better when they drink milk. It's not a myth.

oh, WARM milk......I drink cold milk and cold milk only mate, warm tastes bad.

Temotei
2010-05-03, 05:55 PM
In all seriousness, though, I usually just relax and empy my mind, free from all distractions (no sound, no light, etc.). Though I've been told that's rather unusual.

That's quite normal. Who's been telling you it's unusual? :smallconfused:

oh, WARM milk......I drink cold milk and cold milk only mate, warm tastes bad.

Agreed.

ApeofLight
2010-05-03, 05:56 PM
Put on a baby lullaby that you like, you've been trained to fall asleep to that.

arguskos
2010-05-03, 06:01 PM
You damn dirty unusual punks! *shakes fist*

Agreed.
What they said. :smallcool:

TSGames
2010-05-03, 06:04 PM
Playgrounders! Does anyone have tips and tricks for getting to sleep? I am...in need of advice when it comes to that thing. :smallconfused:
Close you eyes and relax.

Now tense ALL of your muscles for 8 seconds.

Relax your muscles.

Make sure you are drawing deep, relaxed breathes.

Then, with your eyes closed, and even paced breathing count down from 10 to 1. Each time you count, picture an image of the number in your head. At each count, and with each breath you will relax more and more, until you are finally asleep.

If your muscles are relaxed, and you are drawing steady, deep breaths, then it should put put you to sleep quickly.

Trog
2010-05-03, 06:12 PM

Also (http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/sleep/hq01387).
WORKS GREAT! :smallannoyed:

LESS 'FILLING! :smallmad:

WORKS GREAT! :smallfurious:

LESS 'FILLING! :smallfurious:

:smalltongue:

Mathis
2010-05-03, 06:18 PM
I find a beer or a glass of redwine helps me sleep pretty darn well too, never tried the warm milk thing. I usually have a very hard time falling asleep, but I know that this is because of a irratic sleep pattern that I can't change due to various reasons. So in short, legal drinking to fall asleep: Seconded.

tonberrian
2010-05-03, 06:24 PM

Just about everyone I tell it to. It could be a matter of degree, though: just about any noise or light makes it almost impossible for me to sleep. Made it difficult when I had no door and my parents refused to close theirs to keep the sound of their fan in their room. :smallannoyed:

Temotei
2010-05-03, 06:39 PM
Just about everyone I tell it to. It could be a matter of degree, though: just about any noise or light makes it almost impossible for me to sleep. Made it difficult when I had no door and my parents refused to close theirs to keep the sound of their fan in their room. :smallannoyed:

Oh. That is a little much. Ah well. As long as you're sleeping now.

druid91
2010-05-03, 07:04 PM
I still maintain that the best way to get to sleep is to confuse yourself to sleep by debating whether you see the ceiling because its there or because its not there and something white is above that space where your ceiling should be.

Also try to decide whether or not the corners are pointing outward or inward. Its rather relaxing and mind-numbing.

It really works, for me anyway.:smallbiggrin:

littlebottom
2010-05-03, 07:12 PM
do you feel to active? do you fidget alot or move about when you cant get to sleep?

if so if you tightly tense your muscles, start from your feet and work you way up. so tense your shin muscles really tight for a few seconds relax, repeat a couple times then move on, it makes your entire body much more relaxed, dont ask me how. this can help people who fidget or are too filled with energy to sleep.

Catch
2010-05-03, 07:43 PM
Honey. It's a natural sedative, in addition to anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties, plus a dose B vitamins. If you can get local honey, do so, because it helps your immune system tolerate local allergens. About a teaspoon before bed should help you sleep.

Erothayce
2010-05-03, 08:06 PM
I have a problem falling asleep before obscene hours in the morning unless I pop a few Benadryl or am inebriated. It kinda sucks.

tonberrian
2010-05-03, 08:14 PM
Oh. That is a little much. Ah well. As long as you're sleeping now.

On the plus side, I can wake up whenever I want! It's like I've got a built-in alarm clock!

Cealocanth
2010-05-04, 10:24 PM
I used to be unable to get to sleep without a heck of a lot of cafine (I know, weird huh?) or sleeping pills. Eventually I switched my pills to Melatonin, the natural chamical that your brain makes to make you sleep. Apparently this showed my brain that it needs to be making this much instead of what it was doing, now I sleep fine.

You may be having trouble getting to sleep because your body is not ready to. Watching TV before bed or doing something that requires a lot of attention can make it really hard to sleep. Do what mother always said, and read before bed. At least for me, It relaxes me and let's me get to sleep much easier.

Mauve Shirt
2010-05-04, 10:58 PM
I've got a question. How do you all sleep?
I sleep on my left side or my stomach. I usually can't get to sleep if I'm lying on my back, unless I'm really tired, and even then it's more like a nap.

BizzaroStormy
2010-05-04, 11:10 PM
As for getting to sleep, I simply stay awake until I get really tired, then go to bed. I find that "applying lotion" also helps.

If I need to be awake at a certain time, I keep my alarm clock in a cheap combination safe (the kind with the dial) and a few holes drilled in it to allow the noise to escape. This forces me to use my mind to open the lock and by the time I've done that and turned the alarm off, I'm awake enough to start my day.

Then there's the how. I keep a fan going next to my bedside. It keeps the air circulating and provides a droning noise to drown out other noises like crickets. I sleep under a synthetic down comforter, between two large pillows (the ones that are normal width but about 5 feet long) and I wear flannel pajama pants with or without a shirt depending on the temperature.

Trog
2010-05-04, 11:29 PM
I sleep on my left side or my stomach. I usually can't get to sleep if I'm lying on my back, unless I'm really tired, and even then it's more like a nap.
On my stomach, arms crossed under my pillow, one leg straight and the other bent with the flat of the foot touching the side of the knee on the outstretched leg. Usually. Or occasionally in a semi-fetal position on my side, hand on the lower arm cradling my skull.

lsfreak
2010-05-05, 12:17 AM

Every direction. Back, front, side (preference with left, as it's the side that's not facing a wall). Back I often have one arm over my head, front both under my pillow unless I'm exhausted (then it's soldier-like). On side, I often end up curled up with my hands between my knees. I'll occasionally throw my pillow at the foot of my bed and sleep backwards on my side, it gives an extra-cozy feeling if you can manage it because of the way the covers are twisted around (otherwise you just end up cold).

I'm probably weird in that I have no problem sleeping in jeans, and regularly sleep fully dressed (jeans/tshirt).

As to how I fall asleep - combination of exhaustion and just laying in bed till I zone out. I try and focus on one thought stream, and after laying awake for 30 minutes to an hour that one thought stream will blur into others and I'll soon fall asleep. But I never really learned to keep my eyes closed while trying to sleep, as stupid as it sounds, which makes it very difficult. If I switch positions, eyes open. If I sigh, eyes open. If I hallucinate before falling asleep, eyes open when it stops.

Eldan
2010-05-05, 04:48 PM

On my left side, but so much that it's always on my stomach. Left chest down on the mattress, head turned sideways, left leg and arm behind my body, right leg and arm in front of it. When I have to sleep in a seat (i.e. on a train) I can only do it when leaning on something with the left side of my body.

Oh, and when I absolutely can't sleep, I watch David Attenborough movies. I utterly adore those movies, but they always make me sleepy.

Amiel
2010-05-05, 05:18 PM
Can't recall the specifics, but it's apparently better to be colder than warm; ie, it helps you fall asleep faster.

Each person may need different "cues" to fall asleep; some may require distractions, while others need relative silence, some may need warm milk, others may not. It all depends on the individual. I say experiment around, and then "stick" to works best.

You do need to stick to a good sleep pattern, you don't want it shot to hell; a good and consistent sleep pattern is key.

Archpaladin Zousha
2010-05-05, 05:50 PM
I use melatonin. It's a naturally-occuring chemical in your brain that regulates your sleep cycle. Just take one about a half-hour before bed and you'll be out like a light. You can get it at your local drug store.

druid91
2010-05-05, 05:55 PM
You do need to stick to a good sleep pattern, you don't want it shot to hell; a good and consistent sleep pattern is key.

Hah! My sleep pattern would imply that I should easily wake up during the morning and go to bed at night. in other words be diurnal, but instead the most well rested I have ever been was when I would sleep until the afternoon and do my chores and watch tv until 4 or 5 in the morning.

The Demented One
2010-05-05, 07:00 PM
I use melatonin. It's a naturally-occuring chemical in your brain that regulates your sleep cycle. Just take one about a half-hour before bed and you'll be out like a light. You can get it at your local drug store.
Any side-effects or potential addiction here? I've been leery of sleep medication for those reasons.

Danne
2010-05-05, 07:04 PM

Fetal position, usually on the right side unless I get stiff and need to flip over. I also do this weird thing where I tug the blankets over one shoulder, wrap them around my arm, tuck my fist under my chin, and use the blanket-arm combo as a pillow instead of my actual pillow. And I can't sleep with the covers tucked into the foot of the bed like normal people; it makes me feel claustrophobic. My mom calls the whole combination my "nest." :smallsigh:

@^: My guess would be "no," as it's a chemical your body creates naturally. A quick google search seemed to indicate that there are no addictive properties or long term side effects, but your doctor would know more.

Temotei
2010-05-05, 07:11 PM
I can sleep however I want. I've slept cramped in the back seat of a truck with three people before by putting my head forward, resting it on my legs.

your doctor would know more.

Hopefully.

Xyk
2010-05-05, 11:29 PM
At one point in the next 10 years I would really like to write a psychedelic type fiction book about insomnia, but I would feel like a hypocrite if I haven't experienced it. So after I move out of my parents' house, I plan to stay up for like a week to see what it's like.

As for why, I'm not sure. It seems pretty surreal.

Temotei
2010-05-05, 11:31 PM
At one point in the next 10 years I would really like to write a psychedelic type fiction book about insomnia, but I would feel like a hypocrite if I haven't experienced it. So after I move out of my parents' house, I plan to stay up for like a week to see what it's like.

Don't drive if you can help it. :smallsigh:

Dr.Epic
2010-05-05, 11:44 PM
Sleep? It's finals week for me. I'm getting none of that.

Danne
2010-05-06, 12:50 PM

Oh, no. No no no no. Don't do that, you can seriously mess yourself up (http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/04/22/the-stay-awake-men/). Sometimes permanently -- family members of people who have done it claim that they're not the same person afterwards.

@v: This is true, which is why stated it was "my guess" and then googled it to be sure, and also recommended the person as their doctor.

Eldan
2010-05-06, 01:05 PM
@^: My guess would be "no," as it's a chemical your body creates naturally.

That's not really a good argument, your body creates a lot of stuff that can kill you in large doses, or have strong effects. I.e. Adrenalin, Insulin, which both can kill you, or opiates which are very addictive.