PDA

View Full Version : Early PrC for samurai

ko_sct
2010-05-03, 04:19 PM
I chose to play OA samurai for the fun in a game (even though they are quite terrible)

Since the thing i really like about them is the ancestral weapon thing, for which your level in samurai and in any prestige class stack, do anyone know an prestige class i can enter really early ?

I just got to level 3, I'm human and already took power attack and improved initiative.

Pretty much all books allowed.

Divide by Zero
2010-05-03, 04:26 PM
Well, you got Step 1 of samurai optimization down already - that is, "Don't play a CW samurai."

Leon
2010-05-03, 05:04 PM
Step 2
Take that ancestral weapon, reverse grip it and run the Samurai through.

Step 3
Re-roll something else and call your self a samurai

GenPol
2010-05-03, 05:14 PM
If your DM allows homebrew, BHU has a fantastically balanced and historically accurate version of the Samurai.

If it's just a fun game though, I don't see anything wrong with going straight to 20 with the Samurai.

Dr.Epic
2010-05-03, 05:16 PM
Kensai from Complete Warrior

Math_Mage
2010-05-03, 05:22 PM
Well, there's always Stoneblessed after 2 levels. :smalltongue:

A Samurai 1/Wizard 5/Swiftblade X could be very fun. Check out the handbook (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19871410/The_Swiftblade_Handbook) for details. Of course, you may not feel much like a Samurai...

The Cat Goddess
2010-05-03, 05:28 PM
I chose to play OA samurai for the fun in a game (even though they are quite terrible)

Since the thing i really like about them is the ancestral weapon thing, for which your level in samurai and in any prestige class stack, do anyone know an prestige class i can enter really early ?

I just got to level 3, I'm human and already took power attack and improved initiative.

Pretty much all books allowed.

Kensai, as mentioned.

Legacy Champion (Weapons of Legacy) should qualify if you can convince the Ancestral Weapon is essentially a Legacy Weapon.

Pluto
2010-05-03, 05:44 PM

Doesn't that work based on Character Level? All levels in all classes stack for it.

Is ToB an option? Sapphire Nightmare blade can be nasty at low levels with Iajitsu Focus. And if you have a decent Charisma, Iajitsu Master is just ridiculous if you have some means of Pounce or free movement (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103358).
If you have the Wisdom, Psychic Warrior and Cleric are also a very solid classes for almost any melee character.

Optimystik
2010-05-03, 07:32 PM
Incarnum Blade - pathetically easy to qualify for, and +5 to awesome.

ko_sct
2010-05-03, 08:54 PM
Step 2
Take that ancestral weapon, reverse grip it and run the Samurai through.

Step 3
Re-roll something else and call your self a samurai

Thing is that i chose to play samurai even though its not really good, this game is really not optimised.

Also, i know about a few good PrC, what i was wondering about is if there was one that I could access really early (like before level 6, wich is when most PrC start)

Touchy
2010-05-03, 08:56 PM
Incarnum Blade - pathetically easy to qualify for, and +5 to awesome.

Do not take it if you actually want to focus on incarnum, though.

But as a samurai, I doubt you would.

Pluto
2010-05-03, 09:03 PM
Also, i know about a few good PrC, what i was wondering about is if there was one that I could access really early (like before level 6, wich is when most PrC start)
Is there anything in particular you want to do? And why wouldn't another base class work? Is there some multiclassing rule in play?

Optimystik
2010-05-03, 09:20 PM
Do not take it if you actually want to focus on incarnum, though.

But as a samurai, I doubt you would.

He can refluff it is as the ancestral spirit in his sword awakening. The PrC actually has very little to do with Incarnum.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2010-05-04, 12:05 AM
Your final build should go OA Samurai 2/ Warblade 18+. Your ancestral weapon will be just as strong as if you'd stayed single-classed, since its progression is based on character level rather than class level. Another option would be OA Samurai 4/ Sanctified Mind 1/ War Mind 10/ Sanctified Mind 5, though you may need to retrain/Psychic Reformation some of your skills first and it requires a decent Wisdom score.

ko_sct
2010-05-04, 04:08 PM
Its my mystake, i was under the strong impression that only samurai and PrC levels counted for the ancestral weapon, thanks everyone