PDA

View Full Version : Searching for Oriental Myths for Race

Xenre
2010-05-03, 07:49 PM
I'm looking for oriental creatures I can turn into races, or already are races. I'm trying to stay away from anthropomorphic animal races, which seems to be all I can find.

Mulletmanalive
2010-05-04, 03:36 AM
Oriental Adventures includes the following actual legendary creatures [plus some anthromorphs from the Rokugan setting]:

Korobokuro - A kind of dwarf, i suppose. They're jungle dwelling, not hugely bright but cunning and very strong. Their colouration ranges from dark sand to fiery red in the stories and they're fierce defenders of their homes, usually with stone weapons because they have no forges [normally].

Hengekomi - [I think that's how you spell it]. Descendants of animals that got sufficiently old to gain human intellect and magical powers. Basically a lycanthrope but in the original legends they didn't have an intermediate form. Carp and raccoon-dogs are the most common animal forms.

Spirit Folk - These are basically fae, though they're described more like half-fey [people mate with woodland spirits, dragons of the sea, river guardians etc, and nine months later!]. They're tall and slender with colourations tinged with the bamboo, river or ocean of their origin. They have a few minor powers to match these stations that grow with age [think the half-fiend SLAs, without all the stat boosts]. Reputed to be very beautiful but struggle to speak as fast as humans do when used to the pulses of nature.

I read this one in a book somewhere:

The Eldest - A race of tall gangly humanoids of great intellect that came down from the high mountains around Sichuan to teach skills related to the body. They had learned an almost Psionic understanding of the body via adapting to their weak physical forms and taught the principals of Chi manipulation and alchemy to a select few.

Chinese myth is full of anthromorphs: the most popular story going is Journey to the West, which stars a Monkey, a Pig-man and a Lizard man against all kinds of wacky stuff but they and all the other critters tend to be "demons" as books call them, stuff that's gotten old and smart. For instance trees can do this.

From Japan we also have the Tsuchigumi - the ground spiders. Probably a legend based on the indigeonous people when the Chinese emigrated there. They have long limbs, can move like the wind and in some examples can spit poison. They live in the woods and seem to have great skills as foragers, to the point where they can live off relatively small areas without damaging them.

From India, i suppose there are the Chitipatis. These are merry little skeletons that dance around the funeral pyres. No-one's really sure why [I guess they didn't get answeres when they asked]. Halfling sized skeleton creatures that gain benefits when folks die around them? Balance nightmare but interesting...

Paka - a kind of catfolk, though more like Tolkienien wood elves in their way. Somewhat molevolent and they'll kill you for violating boundaries you haven't marked but honourable in their way.

I'm out for now, everything else i can come up with is stuff that'd need 10+ HD to work.

Zaknir
2010-05-04, 03:57 AM
There are the Oni, japanese version of ogre/ogre magi

You could create a template called "spirit creature" that turn the base creature into a spirit of "something" (maybe giving them access to a cleric domani that is close what they represent)

Aasimar/Tiefling that are offspring of Spirits/Demons

Half-elementals (manual of planes) are good for those characters that descents from a spiritual ancestor

Janni/Djinni/Efreeti function well as powerful elemental spirits

Something like Warforged but warriors build of stone instead of robots

Ashtagon
2010-05-04, 04:37 AM
Hengekomi - spelt hengeyoukai or Hengeyokai (it's a long "o" anyway).

Also, the mujina was a Japanese monster. It had a version in BECMI, stripped of the cultural context. Basically, it was a fey that has no face and was other wise generally "scary".

D&D's "ogre mage" is basically Japan's "oni" myth.

Set
2010-05-04, 08:22 AM
Dragons are occasionally portrayed as having pretty human-looking children (generally daughters), so you could create a spellscale / dragonborn sort of race that appears as an exotically beautiful human, but has some draconic properties.

Following the 'half-ogre' popularity in the western world, perhaps a 'half-oni' race is an option.

Shapeshifters are pretty common, and porting the Changeling straight over, but changing the fluff, could work. (Similarly, the Shifter could make a neat Hengeyokai / Kitsune / Tengu variant.)

Genasi, Aasimar and Tieflings would fit well with 'Spirit Folk.' Alternately, Sean Reynold's Elemarn (http://www.seankreynolds.com/rpgfiles/monsters/elemarn.html) could replace the 'Sea Spirit Folk' or whatever, or you could come up with your own 'bamboo folk' or 'willow woman' spirit folk by taking the Genasi or Elemarn as a starting point, and using the Plant Creature template from the Manual of the Planes as inspiration (or even just peeking at the Dryad and trying to figure out what an LA +0 'wood nymph' would have).

Using the Cold creature template (also from Manual of the Planes) to inform a frost-themed spirit folk / 'Ice Genasi,' perhaps inspired by the Yuki-no-Onna, could also be an option. The little ice fey dudes from Frostburn could also serve as a source of inspiration, for this 'Winter Spirit / Frost Maiden' concept.

FlyingWhale
2010-05-04, 08:31 AM
As much as I considered just posting a bunch of them... Here is a pretty cool link that I think might help a little. Besides, after clicking on some of them, if it is not enough info just Google it afterwards :)

Here you go mighty Xenre!
http://www.obakemono.com/
for your earliest convenience.

Sereg
2010-05-04, 09:14 AM
This is actually something that I've been trying as well (though I have been trying for multiple cultures). Here's a couple that I found mentioned which may be useful:

Akki, almas, dokkaebi, harionago, karura, rokurokubi, satori and yama-bito.

They appear to be roughly humanoid (the shape, not the creature type). As to whether they are appropriate, I'll leave that up to you.

Mulletmanalive
2010-05-04, 01:20 PM
Multiple Cultures? Orient is basically just a term for "that a way" or "East of the Euphraetes [see Philo].

D&D's "ogre mage" is basically Japan's "oni" myth.

The D&D authors say that, but I'm dubious, mostly because Oni in stories are generally a heck of a lot bigger and dumber than these things [average from stories i've read put them about 12 feet tall or two stories]. Reason i say that they're usually larger is because when they occur in folklore, it's generally because iron was said to be oni corpses buried in the rock.

That and the great Oni-God of Hida was said to be more than 300 Kan tall [about 480 metres].

Sereg
2010-05-04, 10:14 PM
Multiple Cultures? Orient is basically just a term for "that a way" or "East of the Euphraetes [see Philo].

Sorry, i'm aware that the Orient contained multiple cultures, I just meant that I don't only want ones for the Orient, but also for the Middle East, Sub-Saharan Africa, Australasia, the Americas, Russia, etc.

The Mute Bard
2010-05-04, 10:15 PM
Yuan-ti.

A very simple, already existing, anthropomorphic race.
Snake-people based off of the Legend of the White Snake Maiden from China.

I suggest The Slayer's Guide to Yuan-ti.

Jarrick
2010-05-04, 10:38 PM
A race of tsukumogami. Because who hasn't wanted to play a 100-year-old tea kettle.:smalltongue: Seriously though, there was a whole epic legend (http://www.obakemono.com/obake/tsukumogami/)about a group of such yokai.

Tsuchigumo. Spiders that change to look like humans. ... Or am I thinking of Jurogumo? Anyway... Build them smaller than the legends, and you have an awesome alternative to the tibbit.

Abe no Seimei was said to be half Kitsune, that would be cool. There could be half tanuki and bakeneko as well.

One word: Tengu

Honestly though, I like my psudo-japanese world to have more humans in the party than anything else. And, Heian period FTW.

I'm currently working on an onmyoji class. If you're Interested, PM me with an email address and I'll send you what I've got in a .wps. Assuming you have microsoft works. I'd post it here, but so far it's 17 pages long and still not finished due to an extensive shikigami-building system.

Also, I was telling a friend of mine earlier today that my Kilzecru race (See my sig) would make a great "Shapechanging Lesser Oni" or even half-oni for an oriental setting. Just change the ability mods to favor Str and Con and rework the skill bonuses a little. I also converted greensnake Nagas from Oriental Adventures into a playable race. I'll post it in the morning.

Jarrick
2010-05-04, 10:43 PM

The D&D authors say that, but I'm dubious, mostly because Oni in stories are generally a heck of a lot bigger and dumber than these things [average from stories i've read put them about 12 feet tall or two stories]. Reason i say that they're usually larger is because when they occur in folklore, it's generally because iron was said to be oni corpses buried in the rock.

That and the great Oni-God of Hida was said to be more than 300 Kan tall [about 480 metres].

That, and where's the Kanabo?

FlyingWhale
2010-05-05, 09:32 AM
I'm looking for oriental creatures I can turn into races, or already are races. I'm trying to stay away from anthropomorphic animal races, which seems to be all I can find.

Key words in there guys, I know we are all trying to help, but I remember a time when I refused to let one player play an anthro... I couldn't get it through his skull... First it was foxes, then cats, then foxes again, then fox cats, then cats that spoke fox and looked like wolves... Then I had dreams where I relentlessly murdered him with fox carcasses.

Anyway I doubt he is that serious about it, but still, it wouldn't hurt if you replied at some point Xenre... I mean, can you give a wee bit more??? pleaseeee

Jarrick
2010-05-05, 10:09 AM
Thats really the problem. Full 2/3 or more of the creatures in eastern mythology that aren't human are some kind of anthro animal, or at least some kind of shapeshifter. Most of the rest are ghosts, monsters bent on devouring people, or unique yokai, like the one that licks your bathroom clean with its poisonous tongue in the middle of the night.

I do concur with Sereg. Many of the races he mentions would work nicely.

Even the common races, if reflavored, could fit in as oriental races. Orcs and half orcs are red in coloration and descended from oni. Elves bear mysterious (http://annaneverland.wordpress.com/2010/04/28/mononoke/) markings (http://jenzee.deviantart.com/art/Mononoke-The-Medicine-Seller-73744657?moodonly=24) and hail from parts unknown, but have a mystical way about them. Dwarves can be added in with very little reflavoring as a group of human monks who withdrew into the mountains and lived there for centuries. In this case they would be devout ascetics and treated as humans. Halflings and gnomes... you couldn't really use them very well. Raptorans are the product of a tengu and a human. Killoren are nature mononoke already. Spellscales, descended from dragons of course. Goblins and hobgoblins just need a visual makeover (http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_smtV3_BlyV0/SG0IdE42BDI/AAAAAAAAAOk/XTGYYbshKJ0/s400/jaken1.jpg).

Mulletmanalive
2010-05-05, 12:40 PM
Tsuchigumi vary with the story, but the none shapechanger version is listed in my earlier post. The bigger ones from later stories would probably just be Areana with the filament ability of a Cave Fisher for a further +1 LA. Probably equal to a 5th or so level character overall.

I've not encountered Kanabo, but then, i'm not really a fan of Japanese legends. Please, enlighten me.

Odd as it might sound, political groups such as the Yellow Turbans and the Ninja [if they ever existed] would have different racial traits to other people and did technically speciate.

You'll bear in mind that in India, Castes are basically different species too [i.e. they don't interbreed in general, not can't, don't], and there is basic prescident for humans diverging wildly. You could make a bunch of different sub-races, like they did with the elves [all the time!]. Brahmins, Ksatriya, Sudra and Variya, along with perhaps tribal humans could all be included.

Similarly, you could use the Tibetans as a model. Could you imagine how different a people could end up after centuries of having 4 different, warring religions being their primary governmental forces?

I'm looking forward to seeing what you pick and helping you thrash them out, if that's what you want, Xenre.

Jarrick
2010-05-05, 12:57 PM
I've not encountered Kanabo, but then, i'm not really a fan of Japanese legends. Please, enlighten me.

A Kanabo (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kanabo) is a large metal beating stick, also known as a tetsubo. It's the traditional weapon of the Oni, but the ogre mage doesnt have one.

And yes Xenre, you need to let us know exactly what part of the orient you're talking about. All my suggestions thus far have been Japanese.

Ashtagon
2010-05-05, 01:12 PM
A Kanabo (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kanabo) is a large metal beating stick, also known as a tetsubo. It's the traditional weapon of the Oni, but the ogre mage doesnt have one.

In game terms, a kanabo is nothing more than a club or mace sized appropriate for the oni in question. Maybe give it the heavy property I've seen mentioned from some FR supplement I don't have yet. But there's no reason you can't give one to an ogre mage.

TheThan
2010-05-05, 01:14 PM
kitsune (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kitsune) fox spirits that act like fairies or other sorts of fey. Magic the gathering turned them into anthropomorphic fox people.

Naga (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/N%C4%81ga) hindu celestial beings, part snake part human. Refluff as needed. Oriental adventures calls them Shinomen Naga. As to not confuse people with MM1 naga.

There is the tengu (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tengu) a anthropomorphic crow person.

that's about all i can think of that hasn't been mentioned.

Jarrick
2010-05-05, 02:20 PM
that's about all i can think of that hasn't been mentioned.

I think I mentioned all three of those in one post...

Lord Loss
2010-05-05, 03:00 PM
Oni are of demonic origins, I believe. And the shinigami, originally ''death gods'' have been adapted into races in certain occasions.

Jarrick
2010-05-05, 03:13 PM
shinigami, originally ''death gods'' have been adapted into races in certain occasions.

As long as that has nothing to do with Bleach, I'd like to see that.

TheThan
2010-05-05, 03:30 PM
I think I mentioned all three of those in one post...

So you did, I stand corrected. (why do people seem to get bent out of shape over little things like this).

Xenre
2010-05-05, 07:41 PM
I'm going with the spider people, using both the Jorogumo and Tsuchigumo as inspiration. Calling them Kumo, which means spider, for now. What do you think?

I'm using Pathfinder.

Kumo
Kumo Racial Traits

+2 Constitution, +2 Charisma, –2 Wisdom

Medium: Kumo are Medium creatures and have no bonuses or penalties due to their size.

Normal Speed: Kumo have a base speed of 30 feet.

Climb Speed: Kumo have a climb speed of 30 feet.

Web (Ex): (DC = 10 + 1/2 HD + Con modifier, hp = HD).
Kumo can use their webs to support themselves and up to one additional creature of the medium size.

They can throw a web up to eight times per day, similar to an attack with a net but max range is 50ft, with 10ft range increment, effective against targets up to large.

An entangled creature can escape with a successful Escape Artist check or burst the web with a Strength check. Both are standard actions with a DC equal to 10 + 1/2 Kumo's HD + Kumo's Con modifier. Attempts to burst a web by those caught in it suffer a –4 penalty.

Kumo can create sheets of sticky webbing up to three times their size, DC 20 Perception check to notice the web. Each 5-foot-square section of web has hp=HD of the Kumo that created it and DR 5/—.

A Kumo can move across its own web at its climb speed and can pinpoint the location of any creature touching its web.

Change Shape (Su): (human, and spider; polymorph).
Equipment does not change with the Kumo. They can shift to its spider form as a move-equivalent action. A slain Kumo reverts to its spider form, although it remains dead.

Thinking about using a small or smaller spider for the spider form.

Weapon Familiarity: Kumo are proficient with both long and short spears, shields, and long bows, and treat any weapon with the word “Kumo” in its name as a martial weapon.

Languages: Kumo begin play speaking Common. Kumo with high Intelligence scores can choose any languages they want (except secret languages, such as Druidic).

Thinking about using the Tengu from PF.

Thank you all for your help. :smallsmile:

Jarrick
2010-05-05, 08:18 PM
Sounds good to me. Im gonna do something similar for my Japanese campaign setting.

Xenre
2010-05-06, 08:00 PM
Added a humanoid plant race. Xiulan (shee yoo lan), it means elegant orchid. Let me know what you guy's think.

Xiulan Racial Traits
+2 Dexterity, +2 Intelligence, –2 Strength: Xiulan are both agile and clever, but are not particularly strong.
Medium: Xiulan are Medium creatures and have no bonuses or penalties due to their size.
Normal Speed: Xiulan have a base speed of 30 feet.
Stealthy: Xiulan get a +2 bonus on all Escape Artist and Stealth skill checks.
Awake: Xiulan do not sleep. They bury their bare feet in moist soil but are awake and aware. Xiulan also gain a +2 against paralysis, poison, polymorph, sleep effects, and stunning.
Aware: Xiulan get +2 versus all mind-affecting effects (charms, compulsions, morale effects, patterns, and phantasms).
Weapon Familiarity: Xiulan are proficient with , and treat any weapon with the word “Xiulan” in its name as a martial weapon.
Languages: Xiulan begin play speaking Common. with high Intelligence scores can choose any languages they want (except secret languages, such as Druidic).

As far as fluff goes I've got great ideas for them. Thinking about giving them low-light, or blind fighting. Not sure about it.

Ashtagon
2010-05-06, 08:16 PM
Wait, are you after actual RW myths, or just stuff that has the right general flavour but isn't based in RW myths? Because I'm getting my google hits for anything by that name from any mythology.

Xenre
2010-05-06, 08:35 PM
I am after actual myths, but I'm kind of giving up. There are a lot of "spirits" and whatnot conected to trees, but they tend to read like dryads, so I retooled. Xiulan is just a chinese girls' name.

deuxhero
2010-05-06, 08:40 PM
Eastern thank you.

Well Oni are already in the game as Ogre Mages (they suck, but WotC has an official fix on the web somewhere).

You may want to check a list of some of the "demons" Shin Megami Tensei pulls from Japanese Mythology (http://megamitensei.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Japanese_Mythology) and Chinese Mythology (http://megamitensei.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Chinese_Mythology) (there are some deities in there as well).

TheThan
2010-05-06, 08:56 PM
I am after actual myths, but I'm kind of giving up. There are a lot of "spirits" and whatnot conected to trees, but they tend to read like dryads, so I retooled

yeah the problem with eastern myth and folklore is that a lot of it is very hard to use because of either its general bizarreness or because of how they read on paper. Also there are far too many shape changers out there. Basically anything and everything can be something its not.

The_Admiral
2010-05-07, 05:16 AM
A few myths from where i live
Hantu galah
Basically a ghost with very long legs
Hantu raya
sort of a servant ghost that is passed on through an ancestral item usually a keris
and my favorite the toyol
A small spirit that lives in bottles and steals things.

Miyako
2010-05-07, 09:36 AM
You will find this source helpful. We have lots of fun things, and you can use these ideas to think of your own.

Obakemono Project. (http://www.obakemono.com/obake/kitsune/) There you are.