PDA

View Full Version : New Homebrew Idea- Looking for Ideas

Deathrevived
2010-05-04, 12:56 AM
With my regular party taking the summer off I figured it would be a great time to start tinkering with an old idea had for a campaign world. I always considered the idea of a zombiepocalypse style world, tough without using the steriotypical zombies.

That is not where the true issue arises, considering this is my first attempt at operating outside of the standard 3.5 books, I was wondering firstly if anyone had some advice pertaining to creating a low magic, no psy world.

I'll outline the rest of the world if anyone is interested, ideas are would be greatly appreciated haha.
Weapon At this rate the party is going to start at level 1, as members in a small castle ran by a minor lord, and their backgrounds would reflect this. One interesting feature I plan on having in this world is a defensive weapon installed in strategic points in the walls, that is basically a belt fed heavy crossbow, a new device invented by an engineer working for the lord. I still have to work out the stats of this, again ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Magic As I am thinking of running this as a low magic campaign, for now, I was thinking of having clerics staying exactly the same, but tweaking the access to magical weapons and limit entrance into the other spellcaster classes.

More to come as discussion develops (hopefully haha) and as more ideas come to me.

Doc Roc
2010-05-04, 01:10 AM
Low Magic, No Psi?
Burning WHEEEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLL?

Some Side-effects may occur. Cease usage and contact a doctor if any of the following occur:
Burning
A Significant Change in demeanor or sleeping patterns
Low Fever
For which cowbell is the only obviously effective remedy
The appearance of wheel shaped growths

Deathrevived
2010-05-04, 01:43 AM
Yeah I was toying with the idea of low magic, and the relation to Burning Wheel is enough to scare me the other way haha. It was more an over-reaction to previous instances of horridly Overpowered caster in a few other games I ran, but I can deal with those on a case by case scenario.

Woot first change to plan already :D

Doc Roc
2010-05-04, 01:56 AM
But... I love Burning Wheel! :: sob ::

Deathrevived
2010-05-04, 02:15 AM
Its the fact that I want to steer away from what can be related to other systems, at least for my first attempt at homebrew at least.

Conners
2010-05-04, 06:13 AM
Are you thinking intelligent undead? That or a variety of undead bosses (vampires, litches, stronger versions of zombies/skeletons, death knights, etc.) who keep their mindless lessers under control would be interesting.

You could also have evolving "undead", people taken by a magical plague who die just like any ordinary person when stabbed through the heart, but don't give into pain and have little or no fear. They'd also evolve into interesting forms, like the boss-monsters in Left4Dead.

There's a couple of ideas for you.