PDA

View Full Version : In need of Mythological Recomendation.

Gnonai
2010-05-04, 01:03 AM
Soon, I am going to have a point in which the group will, against their knowledge, enter a town in which they can not leave until they solve the curse. Basically, everybody in the town is going to be in a deep slumber from which they can not awaken, and having Nightmares of Mythological Creatures from the culture of Our world. The creatures they are dreaming about will all be present in the town and they might possibly have to battle them. You might be asking,"How does he plan to have so many things wandering the streets?" Basically most of the people have died from deep fright of their dreams, some were murdered by the creatures and some still are dreaming of the same creatures. So far I have planned to have a Wendigo, a probaly not so known Adlet, and I really don't have any other interesting ones. I would like to have atleast 5-6 Interesting Mythological Creatures for the group to encounter, and I would like more detailed and deadly creatures, So basically just list a couple cool Creatures and a short description of what they are, I will research them a bit and be thankful for the help. Thanks in Advance :smallamused:!

Saint GoH
2010-05-04, 01:11 AM
In the 3.0 Deities and Demigods (downloadable here (http://www.4shared.com/get/98009517/81e6feba/DnD-DeitiesandDemigods.html) Don't worry, it's safe :smallbiggrin: ) there are actually statted mythological creatures AND gods from famous civilizations such as Norse, Greco-Roman and Egyptian. Could use that to look up a few...

Gnonai
2010-05-04, 01:13 AM
Sounds Cool, I think I am going to use a Levithian in the lake next to the town and somewhere in it a http://www.mythicalrealm.com/blog/Display/2008/06/Manananggal

Archpaladin Zousha
2010-05-04, 01:16 AM
How about the Austrailian beast known as the Yara-Ma-Yha-Who?

Here's what he looks like:

http://www.bogleech.com/yara/yara-spydrrxiii.jpg

And here's his Modus Operandi:

The Yara-ma-yha-who lives in big trees and does not hunt for food, but waits until an unsuspecting traveler rests under the tree, then catches the victim and drains their blood using the suckers. It leaves enough blood in the victim to keep him alive while it goes off walking to work up an appetite. Later, the creature returns to its victim.

It lies down on the ground facing the victim, crawls to him like a lizard, and swallows him whole. The Yara-ma-yha-who then stands up on its two feet and does a sort of dance to jiggle all of the living body of its victim down into its stomach. But then, after some more time, the yara-ma-yha-who vomits its victim, who is still in one piece.

The person is then usually still alive. The victim then does best for himself by pretending to be dead. The Yara-ma-yha-who will test the victim by walking away from the body and then quickly turning around, by poking him with a stick, and by tickling him under under the chin and arms.

If the live victim has still been successful in feigning death, the Yara-ma-yha-who may then also walk off to some distance where it then sits and watches its victim for signs of life. But the creature will then eventually need to seek a bush and fall asleep. The victim, if indeed still alive, can then make his escape. If the Yara-ma-yha-who suddenly awakes and gives chase, the human victim has still a good chance of escaping. The creature has a slow, wobbling gait, like the cockatoo.

If it happens that the human victim does not escape from the Yara-ma-yha-who after being regurgitated, he is swallowed whole a second time. Again he is vomited out afterwards, but now he is shorter than he was before.

If he is still alive but cannot escape, he is swallowed and regurgitated for a third time. If still alive, the victim is not only even closer in height to a Yara-ma-yha-who but also now has smooth skin like the creature. If the process of being swallowed and vomited alive is repeated enough times, the victim becomes a Yara-ma-yha-who himself.

Pretty scary, huh?

Gnonai
2010-05-04, 01:20 AM
That is perfect for a DnD monster, so that they might be able to get away if they are caught. So the list thus Far...

1: Wendigo.
2: Levithian
3: Manananggal
4: Yara-Ma-Yha-Who?
5:
6:
7: POSSIBLY Cerberus, but that is too well known so Idk.

Archpaladin Zousha
2010-05-04, 01:39 AM
Here's another one they won't expect. Ulagu, a gigantic wasp from Cherokee myth. According to legend, Ulagu was as large as a house, and was so fast you couldn't see him with the naked eye. He would snatch unsupecting children for food until some hunters decided enough was enough and they would take him down. Since they couldn't follow him because of his great speed, they decided to track him with a white string attached to some bait. The first time they tried with a squirrel, but it was too small and light to work. Then they tried something bigger, like a turkey, and then a deer ham, but to no avail. Finally they tried an entire deer carcass, and that was big enough to slow Ulagu down a bit, allowing them to follow the string to a ravine where they saw him enter his cave. They shouted a war cry and then descended into the ravine, but when they looked inside the cave itself, they saw Ulagu with thousands of regular-sized wasps. The hunters knew a direct confrontation was suicide, so they built a great fire at the entrance of the cave and smothered Ulagu and his brood with smoke. But some of the wasps weren't in the cave, and they escaped and made nests of their own, their descendents being the wasps that plague us to this day.

Math_Mage
2010-05-04, 01:52 AM
I don't know which Kraken to offer you, but I offer you Kraken as an idea...

Lycanthromancer
2010-05-04, 01:56 AM
Most real-world myths are already present in D&D; it's not remarkable unless they're strictly modern myths, which tend not to show up in such places.

Pyramid-Head, for example. Aliens and predators. The Terminator and the T-1000. Kratos, from God of War. Adam Sandler. Pedobear.

Terrifying.

The Glyphstone
2010-05-04, 01:56 AM
The Lion-Headed Wheel thing from Tome of Magic? Though I think it's technically a demon or something in actual mythology.

Gnonai
2010-05-04, 01:57 AM
I considered the Kraken, but they would expect it and I don't know they could kill something that big, and I will consider the Wasp.

Xenre
2010-05-04, 02:22 AM
Obariyon - It’s a spook that rides piggyback on a human and becomes unbearably heavy.

Akaname - ‘filth licker’, a hideous type of Japanese bogeyman that quite literally licks dirty bathrooms clean with its tongue and the aid of poisonous saliva.

Gnonai
2010-05-04, 02:39 AM
Okay, I have figured out what I am going to use.
1: Wendigo
2: Levithian
3: Manananggal
4: Yara Mara Yha Who
5: Black Angel or rather, Krusnik
6: Adlet
Basically, the entire group will encounter these creatures throughout the town/forest surronding the town. Seems like it will be pretty interesting.

Mr White
2010-05-04, 05:52 AM
I propose lange wapper:
A creature that is more a prankster than a real danger but he is known to have caused several deaths. He usually stalks drunks as a small man and gradually grow bigger and bigger each time the drunk looks over his shoulder. Whe the drunk finally gets home lange wapper is larger than his house. Lange wapper is known to change into the form of a baby to drink breast milk. He scares people to death although it is never if that is actually his intention.

Archpaladin Zousha
2010-05-04, 10:03 AM
4: Yara Ma Yha Who

You added a "ra" at the end of the Ma in there.