PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Countering the AMF

Ducklord
2010-05-04, 04:14 AM
I'm in the process of building a near-epic level wizard, and have found out, that an AMF could completely disable my character. If the spell is cast by an enemy caster it'll do the same to him and I can probably counterspell it, but if a monster uses it as a spell-like ability, it becomes immune to most of my spells and it could even close the distance and grapple me, in which case I'm done. I could try to dispel it, but hat would require a MDJ and be 25% effective AT BEST, which just seems like a waste of 9th level spell slots. Is there anything else left except running & orbing?

EDIT: oh, and I have access to the core books + SpC

Greenish
2010-05-04, 04:19 AM
Tinfoil hat, though that probably counts as retreat.

PinkysBrain
2010-05-04, 04:29 AM
A really large tinfoil hat, shrunk down to a wearable tinfoil hat with shrink item.

Killer Angel
2010-05-04, 04:31 AM
Orbs are great for offense.
For defense, you can always count (even in core) on Walls (stone, iron, force).

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2010-05-04, 04:40 AM
To extrapolate on what has already been suggested, the typical solution to AMF is Shrink Item, specifically cast on a metal dome which you then wear upon your head as though it were a helmet. If you walk into an AMF or if one is cast with you inside the area, the Shrink Item spell is suppressed and the metal dome instantly returns to its normal size. Typically this means it lands on the ground, creating a structure around you and blocking the AMF's line of effect to you. You can then Dimension Door or Greater Teleport well out of range of the AMF, and use Orb spells and other instantaneous conjurations to obliterate your silly AMF-casting opponent who has only stopped himself from casting.

Optimystik
2010-05-04, 06:47 AM
Is there anything else left except running & orbing?

Where's the shame in doing that? "Never ran from an AMF" may make you a legend at the mage's tower, but it'll fit just as well on your headstone.

Thurbane
2010-05-04, 06:57 AM
Isn't there a spell in DM or CM that temporarily allows casting in an AMF?

Doc Roc
2010-05-04, 07:01 AM
Where's the shame in doing that? "Never ran from an AMF" may make you a legend at the mage's tower, but it'll fit just as well on your headstone.

Well, at least the headstone of one of your hundreds of clones.

Optimystik
2010-05-04, 07:04 AM
Isn't there a spell in DM or CM that temporarily allows casting in an AMF?

That's Invoke Magic, and it's in Lords of Madness. I think it was designed to take on Beholder eye-cones.

PGtF has Cheater Initiate of Mystra as well.

Doc Roc
2010-05-04, 07:05 AM
That's Invoke Magic, and it's in Lords of Madness. I think it was designed to take on Beholder eye-cones.

PGtF has Cheater Initiate of Mystra as well.

If you manage to qualify for Initiate of Mystra, you also unfortunately qualify for Dweomerkeeper.

Kobold-Bard
Depending on your DM's definition of how it works, Contingency (Dimension Door): I am about to be affected by an Antimagic Field is a good way to avoid it. Throw on Foresight so you can play the "I can react to stuff so so can my spells" gambit.

Aharon
@Thurbane
no, the spell is in LoM. It's sor/wiz 9, Invoke Magic, swift action to cast, next spell works despite being in an AMF.

The other way, of course, is to be an initiate of mystra...

wow... ninja'd for the first time, I think :smallsmile:

Optimystik
2010-05-04, 07:06 AM
If you manage to qualify for Initiate of Mystra, you also unfortunately qualify for Dweomerkeeper.

Are you trying to shatter the thread? :smalltongue:

Doc Roc
2010-05-04, 07:07 AM
@Thurbane
no, the spell is in LoM. It's sor/wiz 9, Invoke Magic, swift action to cast, next spell works despite being in an AMF.

The other way, of course, is to be an initiate of mystra...

There are a few other ways, but I don't want to talk about them. They hinge on the degree of psi-magic transparency in your game.

Are you trying to shatter the thread? :smalltongue:

As though I have some other purpose ;)

Thurbane
2010-05-04, 07:07 AM

@Thurbane
Thanks, that was going to bug me. I had convinced myself it was in one of those two books, and couldn't find it! :smalltongue: