PDA

View Full Version : Thread for people screwed over by poorly timed firedrills/firealarms

13_CBS
2010-05-04, 05:06 AM
Some idiot turning on my dorm's fire alarm at 5 in the morning, forcing all of us to get up out of bed (or out of our desks) and stand outside for a good 20 minutes, plus the facts that; I have an exam at 9 in the morning that I was hoping to get some sleep for (but failed utterly): I can't fall back asleep for some reason even though I'm rather tired: I have a giant paper to write after my exam, which I'll have to cut out time for in order to take a nap: have left me in despair.

Some people say that, once you get into college, life will be easy and fun.

Those people are wrong, or they're horrible, horrible liars.

:smallfrown:

absolmorph
2010-05-04, 05:18 AM
Five in the morning?
Dear gods, dood, I'm sorry. That person deserves to be slapped with a fish.

Fallbot
2010-05-04, 05:22 AM
In our halls of residence we used to have planned fire alarms at that kind of time - never during exam season though. That's really horrible.

Hope the exam goes ok :smalleek:

Kobold-Bard
2010-05-04, 05:24 AM
Can't offer anything that will actually help except consolations and the advice to stay calm. As nerve-fraying as an impromptu fire drill is (trust me I know) some lost sleep shouldn't affect your exam too much. Just keep relaxed, maybe use the time you have now to go over your notes one last time. Try to turn the negative into a positive, or at least a neutral.

Then after the exam hunt down the asshat who did it and take absolmorph's advice and hit them with a fish.

College life isn't easy, anyone whosays it is is either a liar or so inherently gifted at their subject of choice that it literally is easy.

However in general you do have a lot more free time than you will ever have again, and it's usually the first time that you're not living under your parents rules 24/7, meaning you have the freedom to enjoy it how you wish.

Mercenary Pen
2010-05-04, 05:27 AM
Some idiot turning on my dorm's fire alarm at 5 in the morning, forcing all of us to get up out of bed (or out of our desks) and stand outside for a good 20 minutes, plus the facts that; I have an exam at 9 in the morning that I was hoping to get some sleep for (but failed utterly): I can't fall back asleep for some reason even though I'm rather tired: I have a giant paper to write after my exam, which I'll have to cut out time for in order to take a nap: have left me in despair.

That's pretty awful dude. I know exactly how bad lack of sleep can be and I'd better stop now, before I suggest a suitable punishment for this- which would almost certainly bebeyond what the forum rules cover...

Eldan
2010-05-04, 05:29 AM
It seems there are some advantages to university offering no housing for students.

Sorry about that, though. Hope you make it through the day okay.

13_CBS
2010-05-04, 09:54 AM
Good news, everyone! Red Bull really does give you wings! Unfortunately (fortunately?), I'm so buzzed on caffeine now that nap time is no more.

Also, FYI, the fire alarm was set off by some fool leaving a cutting board on a stove.

My question is: what kind of college student cooks at 5 in the morning? :smallconfused: :smallannoyed:

Kobold-Bard
2010-05-04, 09:56 AM
Good news, everyone! Red Bull really does give you wings! Unfortunately (fortunately?), I'm so buzzed on caffeine now that nap time is no more.

On the plus side when it wears off tonight you'll sleep like a log.

13_CBS
2010-05-04, 09:57 AM
On the plus side when it wears off tonight you'll sleep like a log.

That's...actually kind of disheartening. :smallfrown:

College: adventures in sleep deprivation.

Revlid
2010-05-04, 09:57 AM
I'M IN DESPAIR! IDIOT COLLEGE PRANKS HAVE LEFT ME IN DESPAIR!

It's good that Red Bull has made you less likely to decide on height-enhancement, in any case.

Kobold-Bard
2010-05-04, 10:00 AM
That's...actually kind of disheartening. :smallfrown:

College: adventures in sleep deprivation.

Sorry about that, wasn't my intention.

Ichneumon
2010-05-04, 10:11 AM
Honestly, it could be worse, he could have done it at 3 instead of 5.

13_CBS
2010-05-04, 10:16 AM
Honestly, it could be worse, he could have done it at 3 instead of 5.

Eh...I would have preferred 3 rather than 5. I had to get up at 8, and since the thing went off at 5 I had a lot of trouble falling back asleep. I'd much rather have tried to go back to bed at 3:30 than at 5:30. :smallfrown:

Elder Tsofu
2010-05-04, 10:45 AM
I know how it feels, sort of. :smallfrown:
Just in the beginning of this year I had the most important test/exam since I begun university (3,5 years ago) - and some careless girl turn on the stereo (at max).
At around 3 in the morning.

Never happened before, but be sure that they pick the day...

Poor girl must have got a shock when I appeared at her door in my bathrobe, wild-eyed and speaking incoherently, to harangued her for that.

Caffeine is your friend, especially if you're not used to it. :smallbiggrin:

Winter_Wolf
2010-05-04, 12:01 PM

Also, FYI, the fire alarm was set off by some fool leaving a cutting board on a stove.

My question is: what kind of college student cooks at 5 in the morning? :smallconfused: :smallannoyed:

Two types I know of: the drunk kind, and the kind that gets up gawdawful early for Crew practice. Those guys and girls are just plain crazy.

Syka
2010-05-04, 12:12 PM
Eldar, I've been there. This girl who lived in the room next to me would periodically fight with her boyfriend in the halls or right outside the building, at all hours of the night. We're talking I'd clocked them at 10PM, 12AM, 3AM and 6AM (on a Sunday :smallfrown:).

The night the decided to fight at 12AM, it was right in front of my room (RIGHT in front). The night before I had my Greek final. At 7AM. I'd been asleep about an hour when their fighting WOKE ME UP. Yeah...I opened my door and told them to take it somewhere else because I had an exam. They went into her room and I heard no more, lol. (I'd been tempted the previous 2-3 times to ask them to go elsewhere, but the exam was the final straw).

13, I'm with ya on the exam stress. I had a beast of a final last night (me and another kid who did really well on the midterm, better than probably 70% of the rest of the class, both felt like we failed...all I needed for an A is a 60, and I wouldn't be surprised if I get a B for the class...that bad). Totally threw me off for the exam I have tonight.

Good luck on the paper!

Mauve Shirt
2010-05-04, 03:15 PM
Every semester, we have to have a morning fire drill, an evening fire drill, a late night fire drill (like 11:00) and an obscenely early fire drill (1-2:00). One time last fall, we had the late night and obscenely early on the same Wednesday night, before I had a history midterm. I got a D on that midterm.

Silverraptor
2010-05-04, 04:32 PM
I... actually have the opposite thing happen to me...

I had a math test in my sophomore year that I was doing and a fire drill happened close to the end of the period, but no one was finished yet. So the teacher excused us and we would finish the test tomorrow. I used that night to study since I saw all the questions before hand and the next day, she handed us our test back. Upon reviewing it, I discovered I had done several of the questions wrong and went back and corrected them and got them right.

ANother time was in the exact same math class a smemester later.:smallamused: Except that was just a quiz and it was a lockdown, not a fire drill. Some kid pranked the police and said a student brought a gun to school that day. Several of the students in my class kept getting worried phone calls from their mothers every 2 minutes. However, during the confusion, I took out my math textbook out and studied the quiz over. When the lockdown finally ended, I got up and sure enough, discovered another two math problems where I accidently made minor mistakes on which I corrected quickly.

It's too bad that only seems to happen to me.:smallfrown:

Kobold-Bard
2010-05-04, 04:46 PM
Twice this happened. The first was because some girls got followed home by some guy. He got into their block but when they kicked him out he set off the fire alarm and we all had to flee. My gf was a student warden so she had to coral the drunk/sleepy students out into the cold while security did a sweep, not fun stuff.

Second time was similar, except that someone had a super steamy shower at 2am which set off the alarms. People were more annoyed this time and my gf was ill so I became an impromptu warden. Do you have any idea how hard it is to convince a bunch of students to stay out in the cold in a specific place for 1/2 an hour because the "rules" say that they aren't allowed into uni reception, rules that I'm not even recognised as being supposed to enforce. omeone threatened me with a pencil to the eye.

Pyrian
2010-05-04, 05:02 PM
I read the title of this thread as "people screwed over by poorly timed fireballs" and was fully prepared to talk about several examples... :smallwink:

It's too bad that only seems to happen to me.:smallfrown:You're living proof that luck is more about seizing opportunities than about getting them. :smallcool:

Flickerdart
2010-05-04, 05:05 PM
This used to happen in residences at my university according to a friend. Alarms at my apartment have woken me up a few times, too. Fortunately, I was able to steal wifi downstairs and wasn't too bored until I could go back to sleep.

Jokasti
2010-05-04, 05:15 PM
I just had a tornado siren go off at 4:45 for about half an hour last Sunday, but one time at a chess tourney a kid pulled a fire alarm, and we had to start that round over. Luckily I had already finished.

Mauve Shirt
2010-05-04, 05:23 PM
I read the title of this thread as "people screwed over by poorly timed fireballs" and was fully prepared to talk about several examples... :smallwink:

I read "poorly timed firearms" and thought the stories would be much more gruesome!

truemane
2010-05-04, 05:40 PM
My first two years of university, my residence was attached to a residence that was the chief of rival of the drunken yard-ape mouth-breather residence across campus. The two houses played a hockey game every year that was so intense it brought people from all over the province to drink and drink and drink and break stuff.

Anyway. So any time someone pulled the alarm in the OTHER residence, the alarm in mine went off. And around big game time, this happened with increased frequency.

I thin the record my second year was five in one night. Five. And it's cold outside, remember.

So I feel you.

Dienekes
2010-05-04, 05:41 PM
When I lived in a dorm, someone set off the fire alarm as a prank at 4 in the morning, on finals week, before winter break. As luck would have it, during this time the sprinkler system would not turn off for some reason, so the fire department made us wait for over an hour to get back inside the dorm freezing our tookuses off. We were then told that because of the incident there would be no running water for the next day.

I have vowed to strangle the prankster should I ever discover his/her true identity.

Mercenary Pen
2010-05-04, 06:09 PM
I have vowed to strangle the prankster should I ever discover his/her true identity.

Nice to see you're feeling comparatively merciful... Let's just say I'd draw inspiration from medieval punishments under such circumstances.

RS14
2010-05-04, 06:15 PM
I've just stopped leaving the building for fire alarms. My room is on the ground floor; the windows open fully.

Dienekes
2010-05-04, 07:17 PM
Nice to see you're feeling comparatively merciful... Let's just say I'd draw inspiration from medieval punishments under such circumstances.

I self edited before I posted to a more playground friendly death sentence compared to the one I have in mind.

Orzel
2010-05-04, 07:29 PM
4am
night before test
Freezing cold
person I was trying to dodge saw me
spilled my rum

Kuma Da
2010-05-04, 07:47 PM
Anyone who has ever dwelt in Grayson/Field at UMASS will know what I'm talking about, but I spent a large chunk of my freshman and sophomore years fleeing firedrills from one building into the other. Despite the fact that both buildings are physically connected, and can therefore be connected by fire, the alarms are on separate circuits and the drills are staggered.

Knaight
2010-05-04, 07:56 PM
I was one of few people smart enough to wear a coat the days in question, but there have been 2 at my school recently. One where everyone was stuck outside after the temperature was way under what it had been, wind was way up, and it was just starting to rain and hail. To make things worse, it was during a test, in a class with curved grades, and a bunch of the pricks in it decided to cheat and screw over the rest of us. Turned out it was due to some moron thinking it would be funny to light a trashcan on fire.

The other one was in the middle of my favorite class and ate up half of it, while also in horrible rain after it got colder. Though it was a planned drill.

Danne
2010-05-04, 08:01 PM

My sympathies. We had one just the other night at 2:40 in the morning. Fortunately the next day was Sunday, for which I was very appreciative (if it had been Monday I wouldn've needed to be up at 7:30 the next day)! My sleep cycle is still wacked, though. :smallfrown:

PJ the Epic
2010-05-04, 08:12 PM
Man, one time I was in aquatics, and there was a "planned" fire drill. They forced us to walk outside and sit on the field in front of our peers in bathing suits. While it was about 40 degrees with wind. Not fun. Not fun.

Raistlin1040
2010-05-04, 08:16 PM
The past three weeks, on Tuesdays between 12:34 and 12:37, we've had someone pulling the fire alarm. Advisory ends at 12:25 and 6th period begins as 12:35. Our principal canceled all class breaks, indefinitely. While I don't adore my 6th period, I'm fairly irritated about losing out on my breaks during 105 and 85 minute classes.

Mauve Shirt
2010-05-04, 10:39 PM
The absolute worst was in sophomore year, there was snow on the ground and they called us out at 2 am. While it's a rule to wear shoes (if the RAs notice someone not wearing shoes, we'll fail the drill) most of the time people wear slippers or sandals. Thank goodness it was only a dusting of snow and not 3 feet like earlier this year. My feet were quite cold nonetheless.
And the same year, at a previous 1 am fire drill which we failed, they took at least 45 minutes to check the building. We were so cold we almost considered heading over to the 24-hour-study building.
At least this spring the RAs were kind enough to do the drills when it was warmer out.

BizzaroStormy
2010-05-04, 11:19 PM
One I was on the toilet while my school was having a fire alarm. Lets just say I would have burned.

golentan
2010-05-04, 11:25 PM
Fire alarm during an intimate moment. The apartment above us was broiling steak, and though there wasn't fire all of the warning systems kicked in. While the closest clothes were in the other room. And I was handcuffed to the bed, with the key in the pants pocket. I nearly dislocated my shoulder trying to get out of there: the torsion snap only works if you've got a hand free. And then when we get the key, I come running out of the apartment naked with my BF, and run into a friend who didn't realize I was bi. And had problems with it. All for a stupid steak.

The Extinguisher
2010-05-05, 12:10 AM
Anyone who pranks during exams is a **** with a capital D.

I don't know if it this is an example of being screwed over, but on the last day of high school, the fire alarm got pulled no less than 7 times. in one afternoon.

Elder Tsofu
2010-05-05, 12:28 AM
Hehe, we have the opposite problem with alarms here - it is so well isolated doors to the corridor and windows that none hear the alarm or the fire trucks.
I've actually noticed fire by surfing through the house-forum and finding a topic about it.

lsfreak
2010-05-05, 12:35 AM
Sophmore year. Thankfully for most people, it was Thanksgiving weekend so only a quarter of the dorm had to endure. Fire alarms at 10, 11, 12:30, and 3.

My favorite one, though, was this year, a snow day. They announced over the emergency intercom - which is preceded by the fire alarms - at 5 in the morning that classes were canceled. Thank you for waking me up via fire alarms to tell me I can sleep in.

Manga Shoggoth
2010-05-05, 06:21 AM
Not involved directly (I was in a rented house), but one our the Halls of Residence had a rash of these. They ended rather suddenly when the members of the Rugby Club decided to stay up late and watch the alarm points.

The person concerned was very sorry, and didn't do it again.

ShaggyMarco
2010-05-05, 06:33 AM
I teach high school English. I will occasionally dress in costumes for educational purposes, and/or for Homecoming Spirit Week costume days (roughly 5 times each year.) Our school is required by law to do a fire drill every month (10 school months each year).

Yes, you guessed it: EVERY SINGLE TIME I was in costume, there was a fire drill. That's 50 percent of the year's fire drills spent as Darth Vader, Frankenstein's monster, or Beowulf.

I find it's hard to wrangle a class full of teenagers as Beowulf or The Monster, but actually fairly easy to do as Lord Vader. Go figure.

GrlumpTheElder
2010-05-05, 07:08 AM
In January, I was sitting a Chemistry Module at school for my A2, and the fire alarm went off in the middle, completely putting me and the others off.

When I got the results back, I'd only got a D, and the highest mark in the Chem. group was a B...

Silverraptor
2010-05-05, 09:23 AM
When I was doing my math placement test for college, the fire alarm went off in the middle of it. We went outside and hung around for 30 minutes or so. Considering I live in the south western states, it was nice a sunny for me (For everyone out in the snow, please don't kill me.:smallfrown:).

Anyways, we got back inside and the instructor giving us the test told us that some genius decided to push the fire alarm button in one of the elevators. However, that student didn't know that elevators lock when you do that so he was stuck in the elevator for 30 minutes before both firemen and police came and retrieved him. He then spent the rest of the day in the dean's office awaiting expulsion.

sihnfahl
2010-05-05, 09:40 AM
This happened enough to me while I was in college (which was *cough* years ago).

St Louis. Middle of winter. Final exam week. Not 'final exam prep week', but the actual final exams.

3AM fire alarm. Some prankster popped the alarm. Forced the entire dorm (10 stories) to empty out.

Did I mention it was snowing at the time?

Dr.Epic
2010-05-05, 09:40 AM
The worst to happen to me was a firedrill at 8 AM on my day off at college. I was so angry to have to get out of bed the one day I could sleep in.

Pyrian
2010-05-05, 09:54 AM
Anyways, we got back inside and the instructor giving us the test told us that some genius decided to push the fire alarm button in one of the elevators. However, that student didn't know that elevators lock when you do that so he was stuck in the elevator for 30 minutes before both firemen and police came and retrieved him.So, let me get this straight: if you're in an elevator and a fire starts, and you pull the fire alarm, the system locks you in the burning elevator? :smallconfused:

Silverraptor
2010-05-05, 11:03 AM
So, let me get this straight: if you're in an elevator and a fire starts, and you pull the fire alarm, the system locks you in the burning elevator? :smallconfused:

I think the idea is the fact that they're trying to stop the spread of the flames and keep it isolated. Also, I think they're trying to make sure that in the case the fire burns through the cords on the top of the elevator the elevator doesn't free fall down to the first floor.

I don't know exactly. I'm not an elevator expert.

sihnfahl
2010-05-05, 11:13 AM
Also, I think they're trying to make sure that in the case the fire burns through the cords on the top of the elevator the elevator doesn't free fall down to the first floor.
The 'Matrix' and other bad films aside, modern elevators have a mechanical backup attached to an accelerometer in case of a cord cut if memory serves. When the accelerometer shows the elevator is going down faster than it should, the brakes bring the elevator to a slow halt and prevent a 'crash into the basement' scenario.

The only way to prevent that is to physically damage the emergency systems to the point they cannot engage, damage the accelerometer so it never hits the 'trigger' point, or burn through the elevator's guide rails so there's nothing for the brakes to press against...

golentan
2010-05-05, 11:19 AM
The 'Matrix' and other bad films aside, modern elevators have a mechanical backup in case of a cord cut if memory serves. When they engage, the brakes bring the elevator to a slow halt and prevent a 'crash into the basement' scenario.

The only way to prevent that is to physically damage the emergency systems to the point they cannot engage, or burn through the elevator's guide rails so there's nothing for the brakes to press against...

Fire does tend to sufficiently degrade the emergency system that it fails, though. So the elevators do stop when the fire safety warning happens, and open their doors to allow egress, with the exceptions being in buildings where that would make you less safe. I think some also have a mechanism where they will seek the next floor down if the temperature outside the door is elevated when the alarm sounds, so they don't open and dump people on a burning floor.

CurlyKitGirl
2010-05-06, 04:11 AM
OUr college tests its fire alarms in each of its houses weekly. My fire alarm goes off any time between ten and eleven Thursday mornings, and it still gives me a heart attack each time because I, lucky girl that I am, have a fire alarm in. My. Room.
And as for the past two terms I didn't have any lectures until one or later in the afternoon I'd sleep in, meaning I always bolted up and awake when the fire alarm went off. Heck, the only reason I'm not relaxing in bed today is that I have to revise my essay. That is, rewrite and edit parts of it. Silly Professor, not saying what she wanted clearly enough.

I've had one surprise fire drill so far in (UK) uni. At six thirty in the morning. We were not pleased. Not pleased at all. And one or two of the boys clearly slept commando as everyone could see there was nothing on underneath their dressing gowns.
Not a nice site to see first thing in the morning.

Some of my friends got it worse though. Three thirty in the morning fire alarm. Some idiot had leant up against it and cracked the glass.
I find that one funnier as many people in the alarmed house had only got back from clubbing maybe an hour ago and would have only just fallen asleep, making it much harder for them to get back to sleep after the drill had finished.

Dihan
2010-05-06, 04:20 AM
Nothing worse than having a fire alarm test at 4am in student halls. It wasn't helped by it being in the cold, wet Welsh winter either.

This semester we had one at 1am so it wasn't too bad.

2xMachina
2010-05-06, 05:49 AM
OUr college tests its fire alarms in each of its houses weekly. My fire alarm goes off any time between ten and eleven Thursday mornings, and it still gives me a heart attack each time because I, lucky girl that I am, have a fire alarm in. My. Room.
And as for the past two terms I didn't have any lectures until one or later in the afternoon I'd sleep in, meaning I always bolted up and awake when the fire alarm went off. Heck, the only reason I'm not relaxing in bed today is that I have to revise my essay. That is, rewrite and edit parts of it. Silly Professor, not saying what she wanted clearly enough.

I've had one surprise fire drill so far in (UK) uni. At six thirty in the morning. We were not pleased. Not pleased at all. And one or two of the boys clearly slept commando as everyone could see there was nothing on underneath their dressing gowns.
Not a nice site to see first thing in the morning.

Some of my friends got it worse though. Three thirty in the morning fire alarm. Some idiot had leant up against it and cracked the glass.
I find that one funnier as many people in the alarmed house had only got back from clubbing maybe an hour ago and would have only just fallen asleep, making it much harder for them to get back to sleep after the drill had finished.

Hmm, your gender profile.... Male? Doesn't seem that you're hiding your gender, with the Girl in your username.

Lord Loss
2010-05-06, 05:54 AM
Someone hit the alarm in the middle of homeroom by mistake. Half the students weren't at school yet, the teachers were freaking... good times.

During the school play (midsummer night's dream, if you were wondering), the alarm went off. Everyone ran out screaming in a big mass. Good-bye protocol, hilarity ensued.

Anasazi
2010-05-06, 06:02 AM
I remember those days... my dorms, thus referred to as the Towers (Art Institute of Colorado), had issues like that often. I usually found that the mass majority of the building was asleep around 4am, but yeah, we had what seemed like constant fire alarms going off when I was there, usually between 2 and 6am. Thing though, is that the buildings alarms would be set off if you exited through any door minus the main entry, so alot of smokers set it off. Although I do recall this one time that the alarm was a real one... someones toast had got stuck in their toaster and they had left their room forgetting about it. All the alarms really started adding up and I recall them attempting to charge the building for all the fake fire alarms.
Still had a good time though, I learned more at those dorms that I did at the school, lol.

Amiel
2010-05-06, 06:13 AM
We haven't had a fire drill in a long, long time; 'twas all the craze in high school, now not so much. I imagine a uni student's life is that much cheaper :smalltongue:

Uni students may not even know what to do in a fire drill (or in the event of an actual fire); they'll probably rush around screaming with flailing arms.

Kobold-Bard
2010-05-06, 06:18 AM
Not screwed over, but in primary school fire drills always went the same way.

They always happened at lunch, you knew they were coming because they were the only reason the Head every came into the dinner hall. And every time, without fail, at least one person would burst into tears because they didn't like the alarm. Then as soon as it went off people would intentionally go mental and charge around throwing food because they had an excuse to.

Good times :smallamused:

THAC0
2010-05-06, 10:51 AM
Worst firedrill ever:

December. In Alaska.

The fire alarm begins immediately after I get a class of immature first graders. Immediately. As in, I have not had time to take attendance yet.

And it's December. In Alaska. And the kids do not have their coats in my room, as I am a specials teacher.

And they do not yet understand "straight line" and "silent."

Wost firedrill ever.

Hannes
2010-05-06, 11:53 AM
I've been numbed to the effect of fire alarms. In... secondary school? (years 5-9) we had fire alarms about twice a day. So when a fire alarm sounded, nobody cared. Now, when there's a drill somewhere, I just go "meh" and keep doing my stuff.

Does this mean I'm gonna burn to death?

Murska
2010-05-06, 12:18 PM
We have firedrills really rarely, if ever. However, being forced to stand outside in 0,6 meters of snow while it's snowing more and you didn't happen to bring a coat, let alone gloves or such, for fifty minutes starting at 8:15 was not really nice. So after a while of standing there and freezing my fingers off I decided to head to the nice and warm public library nearby and came back once someone sent me a message that the alarm and the class afterwards were over.

Hannes
2010-05-06, 12:38 PM
We have firedrills really rarely, if ever. However, being forced to stand outside in 0,6 meters of snow while it's snowing more and you didn't happen to bring a coat, let alone gloves or such, for fifty minutes starting at 8:15 was not really nice. So after a while of standing there and freezing my fingers off I decided to head to the nice and warm public library nearby and came back once someone sent me a message that the alarm and the class afterwards were over.

This is what intelligence is all about.

Dr. Bath
2010-05-06, 01:00 PM
You all can just suck it up. My hall set on fire last night. And it was the room opposite me. We were locked out with nowhere to go from 1am til 4am.

MRURURURUR.

CurlyKitGirl
2010-05-06, 03:15 PM
Hmm, your gender profile.... Male? Doesn't seem that you're hiding your gender, with the Girl in your username.

Names have no meaning. COuld be girl, boy, in-between or neither. Could be laziness, could be a desire to confuse people. Could be a subconscious anxiety about my place in society, sexuality, inability to understand or partake in any kind of relationship.
Could be complete and utter bull. I am an English student, and we are nothing if not excellent at fluking our way through anything and finding chock-loads of symbolism. :smallamused:

You all can just suck it up. My hall set on fire last night. And it was the room opposite me. We were locked out with nowhere to go from 1am til 4am.

MRURURURUR.

Told you single-sex halls were dangerous. Hope none of your stuff was ruined though. And that you got to sleep eventually.
:smallhug:

Danne
2010-05-06, 03:20 PM
Names have no meaning. COuld be girl, boy, in-between or neither. Could be laziness, could be a desire to confuse people. Could be a subconscious anxiety about my place in society, sexuality, inability to understand or partake in any kind of relationship.
Could be complete and utter bull. I am an English student, and we are nothing if not excellent at fluking our way through anything and finding chock-loads of symbolism. :smallamused:

Very well said. *claps*

Told you single-sex halls were dangerous. Hope none of your stuff was ruined though. And that you got to sleep eventually.
:smallhug:

Nonsense. I'm in a single-sex dorm and haven't had any problems whatsoever. It's very quiet, actually.

THAC0
2010-05-06, 07:26 PM
Also, I blame this thread for the fact that as soon as I got to work today, we had a fire drill.

With that same class.

Fortunately, it was at the end of class rather than beginning this time. Also, there is no snow. So not as bad as last time.

Thrawn183
2010-05-06, 10:28 PM
Sophomore year someone left a pizza in the oven and it set off the fire alarm at 3 AM. I lived right across the hall from the kitchen and when I woke up my room was full of smoke. So I jet out in boxers and sandals. In December.

What's sad? That wasn't the worst part. The worst part is that I'd been lifting at the gym for an average of 2 hours a day, 4 days a week for about six months. Turns out my RA was gay. Turns out my RA was rather attracted to me. He decided that insisting that he be allowed to warm me up, was somehow acceptable.

Eventually one of the firefighters told him if he didn't knock it off, he'd pretend he never saw whatever I did to him.

That was definitely one of the worst 25 nights of my life.

Agamid
2010-05-07, 07:37 AM
i'm doing a group assignment at the moment that involves ringing experts in our chosen field of research.
we rang a professor in another university to interview him this morning only to have the fire alarm in his building go off about 2 seconds into the interview. we can't call him again until late next week and the assignment is due in 3 weeks and going to be huge...

Totally Guy
2010-05-07, 07:58 AM
There was one time I was disturbed by a fire alarm and I struggled to pull on a pair of briefs. I'd twisted the leg through the wrong way round.

I eventually ended up the first one outside in a dressing gown.

Bad Situation
2010-05-09, 05:44 PM
I was just settling into my AP exam when the alarm went off. The test proctors had us march out of the room single file and started freaking out when somebody went missing. I'm just glad they didn't decide to throw out the tests when they found him.

Danne
2010-05-09, 06:04 PM
I was just settling into my AP exam when the alarm went off. The test proctors had us march out of the room single file and started freaking out when somebody went missing. I'm just glad they didn't decide to throw out the tests when they found him.

I am utterly astonished that they didn't. One girl at my school had her entire AP Calc exam voided just because her cell phone rang during the test, even though she didn't even answer it. (It was her mother who'd called her. Ouch!)

Good luck on your exams, btw. AP tests are tough!

Bad Situation
2010-05-10, 09:13 PM
I am utterly astonished that they didn't. One girl at my school had her entire AP Calc exam voided just because her cell phone rang during the test, even though she didn't even answer it. (It was her mother who'd called her. Ouch!)

Well his test was personally voided, but I was glad they didn't throw every bodies tests out. (Which I've heard can happen)

Good luck on your exams, btw. AP tests are tough!

Thanks, I've got one last AP test on Thursday and I'm home free.

xanaphia
2010-05-10, 09:37 PM
My friend once wrote a poem about school, with the following section (paraphrased):

"The fire alarm goes off, and everyone laughs and is happy."

At school, an alarm can mean the break of routine, and can be good.

PersonMan
2010-05-11, 05:25 AM
Well his test was personally voided, but I was glad they didn't throw every bodies tests out. (Which I've heard can happen)

While we were doing our huge statewide standard testing, our teacher told us that someone complained to his/her parents that a teacher had been texting during the test, and the entire class's test were invalidated. I'm pretty sure that they didn't even get to retake.

Pahvimato
2010-05-11, 06:52 AM

I didn't bother to go to the library. I was standing right next to my coat, gloves and other stuff when it happened. So I was busy laughing at the people who didn't have their coats and who didn't have the intelligence required to go to somewhere like the library.

Manga Shoggoth
2010-05-11, 08:15 AM
Ahh. This thread is bringing back more memories...

About 20 years ago I was working in Central London. It was around lunch time, and we had a group of people in from somewhere demonstrating a data manipulation tool. This was a lunchtime presentation.

Just as the presentation finished, the Buildings Supervisor announced a bomb alert (we were just up the road from Cambridge Circus in the West End, and ).

The police were checking it out, but until the all-clear the entire population of the office - including the two people in for the presentation (who had appointments elsewhere...) - had to evacuate to the stairwell, which was the only area of the building that was free of risk from flying glass).

...And since it was a bomb alert we couldn't leave the protected area. Or the building. We were stuck there for most of the afternoon. After about two hours the Buildings Supervisor raided the Executive Hospitality supplies and passed round the wine and biscuits.

Cleverdan22
2010-05-11, 08:30 AM
Well, most of the time, firedrills seem to work out well for me, giving my class some ten to twenty minutes of free outside time, but there was one time when I was performing a scene for drama class, the alarm went off, and I was nailing it, but then we had to go outside. When we came back I couldn't quite get back into the scene, which was too bad.

varthalon
2010-05-13, 05:18 PM
Fire in the clothing Store (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHPqbptvUGQ)

Solaris
2010-05-13, 09:59 PM
Meh, try having it be mortars.

Seriously, what insurgents are awake at four in the morning?