PDA

View Full Version : Fireball Shotgun

therebel
2010-05-04, 06:31 AM
imagine if you will, a normal 12 gauge shotgun, but a hillbillie soceror shoots it and out comes voriteys of diffrent spells from it i call it the master shotgun. tell me your thoughts and how i can get this thing to be the best weapon for a soceror:smallsmile:

Ravens_cry
2010-05-04, 06:35 AM
imagine if you will, a normal 12 gauge shotgun, but a hillbillie soceror shoots it and out comes voriteys of diffrent spells from it i call it the master shotgun. tell me your thoughts and how i can get this thing to be the best weapon for a soceror:smallsmile:
Stick a rod of wonder up a shotguns snoot. Warning: Fellow Players Will Hate You.

Klyth Manyclaw
2010-05-04, 06:37 AM
Well, first of all, I'll assume this is for your 'Hillbilly Sorcerer', as of your previous thread. I don't really understand why we needed a new thread... and this kind of belongs in Homebrew... but that's alright. I'm sure you have your reasons. :smallwink:

Anyway, is this a magical item? If so, what's the caster level to create it, times per day, charges, etc? Cost? Which specific spells does the 'shotgun' fire? Might be helpful if you want a critique. All in all, though, very inventive idea. I like it! :smallbiggrin:

therebel
2010-05-04, 06:39 AM
Well, first of all, I'll assume this is for your 'Hillbilly Sorcerer', as of your previous thread. I don't really understand why we needed a new thread... and this kind of belongs in Homebrew... but that's alright. I'm sure you have your reasons. :smallwink:

Anyway, is this a magical item? If so, what's the caster level to create it, times per day, charges, etc? Cost? Which specific spells does the 'shotgun' fire? Might be helpful if you want a critique. All in all, though, very inventive idea. I like it! :smallbiggrin:

well for your information it can shoot off more then 20 rounds per day, it cost 500 gold idk how im gonna make it i guess i could enchant it some how but it is a great idea

deephelldragon
2010-05-04, 06:41 AM
well for your information it can shoot off more then 20 rounds per day, it cost 500 gold idk how im gonna make it i guess i could enchant it some how but it is a great idea

Did you take this up with your DM first?:smallconfused:

Klyth Manyclaw
2010-05-04, 06:42 AM
Twenty fireballs per day? What's the caster level on the fireballs?

Also, at 500gp, that's way more powerful than, say, a masterwork greatsword or something close to that expensive. Honestly, for a magical item that deals that much?

The wand of Fireball, 5th level, which only has 50 charges for LIFE, costs 11,250gp. Your weapon, a 20/day, infinite use weapon, is 500gp. Don't you think that's a little underpriced? The spellcaster creating it needs an investment of a feat, numerous resources, and having actually taken fireball in order to make it, I would assume he'd charge slightly more for a Fireball-Shotgun.

Doc Roc
2010-05-04, 06:57 AM
Rod of Many Wands OR Rod of Twin Spell.

Ravens_cry
2010-05-04, 06:59 AM
Let me guess, you're the DM's significant other. What do the other players get, Point-ed sticks (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=piWCBOsJr-w)?

gdiddy
2010-05-04, 07:02 AM
If it did it twice per day, it would be 10,900gp. (Eternal Wand of Fireball, caster level 5, for 5d6 damage)

Let us assume it's double barreled, so 21,800gp. Four times a day.

Or, let us assume it's a 20-charge custom wand chamber item that cycles through wands at will, with 10 3rd level eternal wands, each with various effects (but limited to 2 castings of any one effect per day); I'd price it somewhere in the 130,000gp area.

therebel
2010-05-04, 07:05 AM
{Scrubbed}

Yuki Akuma
2010-05-04, 07:06 AM
Yes. Because just writing down big numbers makes you the better man.

Lapak
2010-05-04, 07:07 AM
Just wanted to chime in and say that I assumed you were talking about this kind of thing (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon%27s_Breath) at first.

therebel
2010-05-04, 07:09 AM
Yes. Because just writing down big numbers makes you the better man.

well when your old DM favriotes 2 people then it gets kinda old and you want a little pay back you just make somethings that can kick his butt

deephelldragon
2010-05-04, 07:10 AM
Just wanted to chime in and say that I assumed you were talking about this kind of thing at first.

I have got to say i want that so bad!:smallbiggrin:

Klyth Manyclaw
Just wanted to chime in and say that I assumed you were talking about this kind of thing (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon%27s_Breath) at first.

You, sir, have just won the internet. +1 Cookies.

Thurbane
Can't you just gaffer tape two Rods of Many Wands together and call it a day? :smalltongue:

Doc Roc
2010-05-04, 07:11 AM
well when your old DM favriotes 2 people then it gets kinda old and you want a little pay back you just make somethings that can kick his butt

Err, or you could just run a really fun, easy going game. How about a heist game with your hillbilly wizard? You know, all up in the base, stealing the gold, watching out for other wizards?

therebel
2010-05-04, 07:11 AM
You, sir, have just won the internet. +1 Cookies.

-30 brownie points

Forever Curious
2010-05-04, 07:16 AM

That's cheaper that a wand of Fireball for a much more powerful item.

deephelldragon
2010-05-04, 07:17 AM
Err, or you could just run a really fun, easy going game. How about a heist game with your hillbilly wizard? You know, all up in the base, stealing the gold, watching out for other wizards?

Being a DM myself i think that this is a good idea.:smallwink:

Ravens_cry
2010-05-04, 07:59 AM
Joking aside, this sounds like a poisonous situation. First they play favourites, then you two play favourites to get back and. . .
Well, I don't see it ending pretty. This kind of passive aggressive neener neeener brinkmanship can ruin groups.
Oh, and for the love of Zeus, your keyboard has a Odin damned shift key. Please use it.
Capitals aren't just for countries. Periods and commas can also come in handy.

Keld Denar
2010-05-04, 08:17 AM
I will not refer to my Wand of Fireballs (http://www.angelfire.com/dragon3/captainjarlot/) as my Boomstick (http://www.motifake.com/image/demotivational-poster/0905/this-is-my-boomstick-demotivational-poster-1242598575.jpg).
Scroll down to #75.

Blacky the Blackball
2010-05-04, 08:33 AM

When you're facing down a two ton shoggoth in Call of Cthulhu, you'll be glad you packed a couple of those beauties...

Last Laugh
2010-05-04, 08:41 AM
When you're facing down a two ton shoggoth in Call of Cthulhu, you'll be glad you packed a couple of those beauties...

No I wouldn't, I'd be a little bit happier... But this wouldn't dry my trousers.:smalleek:

BRC
2010-05-04, 08:48 AM
You could just Refluff it, have your sorcerer cast spells as normal, but fluff it as being from his shotgun.

sambo.
2010-05-04, 10:18 AM
You could just Refluff it, have your sorcerer cast spells as normal, but fluff it as being from his shotgun.

^
|

this.

say your sorcerer has a "shotgun" that serves as the focus for all of his offensive magic.

or some kind of gatling arrangment with multiple wands of various spells. but the ammo is gonna cost a bomb.

or go for the two Rods of Many Wands idea.

LibraryOgre
2010-05-04, 01:21 PM
Do you go by abe on Dragonsfoot, perhaps?

~LuckyBoneDice~
2010-05-04, 01:47 PM
Here's how it's done:

#1: Get two muskets (forgot which book)
#2: Remove the barrels, and reattach them to a single stock
#3: Place Everwands of Maximize Spell to the back of the "Breaches"
#4: Use the "shotgun" to cast your spells, technically using the Wands within

Prodan
2010-05-04, 01:49 PM
What about using a Runestaff?

~LuckyBoneDice~
2010-05-04, 02:06 PM
Runestaff's nice, but I thought "Hey! Them there wands be shorter!" so I stuck with the shorter one

Flob
2010-05-04, 03:03 PM
Intellegent sorcerer shotgun.

Yuki Akuma
2010-05-04, 04:34 PM
Can intelligent items have class levels?

Divide by Zero
2010-05-04, 05:41 PM

UPD a power stone of true mind switch for the psion sandwich trick?

Tinydwarfman
2010-05-04, 06:51 PM
Wouldn't scorching ray make for a much better shotgun? I mean, at many levels it also fires two shots.

Flob
2010-05-04, 07:12 PM

I was wondering when somebody would notice that. But yeah, you could just psionic sandwich it.

Obi-Juan
2010-05-06, 01:12 PM
And for those with issues with the XP, Artificer is the answer to y'all's prayers

Mad Wizard
2010-05-06, 01:40 PM
How about this: Take a Necklace of Fireballs (http://dndsrd.net/magicItemsWI.html#necklace-of-fireballs). Detach all the beads. Make a shotgun shell out of the beads. Fire. I should note that the WEAKEST version of this would cost over one thousand gold PER SHOT.