PDA

View Full Version : Golden Ice Ravage

SethFahad
2010-05-04, 08:03 AM
Could someone please explain to me how it works?

BoED p.35

In contrast to most diseases and poisons all ravages and afflictions are supernatural.
[...]
Ravages and affliction deal damage only to evil creatures. Any evil creature takes damage equal to that listed on either Table 3-2 or Table 3-3, plus its Charisma bonus. An evil elemental or evil undead takes an extra 1 point of damage, and an evil outsider or an evil cleric of an evil deity takes an extra 2 points of damage. If more than one kind of damage is listed, the creature's Charisma modifier and additional damage are are added to each kind of damage.

{table="head"]Ravage|Type|Initial damage|Secondary damage

Golden Ice|Contact DC 14|1d6 Dex|2d6 Dex

[/table]

First of all, What kind of save does your opponent roll? Fortitude save?

Second:
Example (1) Our hero is a Monk and has the exalted feat named Touch of Golden Ice. His enemy is an evil elemental with charisma score 14.
He strikes and hits the evil elemental. The elemental fails the save for initial damage. 1 min later fails save for secondary damage.
Evil Elemental takes: 1d6+1+2 Dex initial damage, 2d6+1+2 dex secondary damage?

Example (2) Our hero is a Monk and has the exalted feat named Touch of Golden Ice. His enemy is an evil outsider with charisma score 20.
He strikes and hits the evil outsider. The outsider fails the save for initial damage. 1 min later fails save for secondary damage. (both unlikely but nevertheless)
Evil outsider takes: 1d6+2+5 Dex initial damage, 2d6+2+5 dex secondary damage?

(meaning: the extra damage is ability damage?)

Suppose, that our monk has the Saint template.
Does Holypower (su) special attack increase the DC of the save to 16?

Yuki Akuma
2010-05-04, 08:08 AM
Yes, it's a Fort save. Because ravages are poisons.

The extra damage would be whatever sort of damage the poison deals. So ability damage in this case.

If you're using the Touch of Golden Ice feat, yes, the DC would increase by 2.

You can also take Ability Focus to increase the DC even more. This is probably a waste of a feat, though. The fact that they have to make a save every time you hit them means they'll roll a 1 eventually anyway, no real need to boost the DC.

pffh
2010-05-04, 08:23 AM
Another question about it. Since it's touch what happens if you grapple someone that's evil? What about shake his hand or what if he swallows you?

Telonius
2010-05-04, 08:28 AM
Another question about it. Since it's touch what happens if you grapple someone that's evil? What about shake his hand or what if he swallows you?

Grappling or shaking hands with a character meets the "contact" requirement, so they get a fort save.

For swallowing ... on the one hand, the poison is Contact, not Ingested.

On the other hand, your entire strategy could consist of being eaten by your foe, then popping out Aliens-style, which is awesomely hilarious.

Last Laugh
2010-05-04, 08:33 AM
Once your opponents stomach lining hits 0 dex you can just coup de grace it!!

balistafreak
2010-05-04, 08:38 AM
For additional lulz, stack as many natural attacks as you can with Touch of Golden Ice. Monk doesn't cut it - you can get many, many more with a Totemist and Giralon Arms chakra bound to the Totem. For additional lulz, be a Warforged with Jaws of Death and Extra Slam. Be sure to grab Multiattack and Improved Multiattack, and splash a level of Lion Totem Barbarian to get Pounce.

7 natural attacks at full BAB is nothing to sneeze at. Of course, you'll need a lot of feats to do this: let's see, we'll need to add in Touch of Golden Ice... so five feats. You'll have to be 6th Level with two flaws as a Warforged to put this one off (five feats total).

But 7 natural attacks! At full BAB! The poison is just for added lulz! :smalleek:

For that matter, how many saves does a grapple force? Because it seems like it would force many more saves when you bear hug a contact poison, as opposed to hitting them repeatedly. Sure, hitting them will probably kill them faster, but say you want to capture them alive...

pffh
2010-05-04, 08:40 AM
Grappling or shaking hands with a character meets the "contact" requirement, so they get a fort save.

For swallowing ... on the one hand, the poison is Contact, not Ingested.

On the other hand, your entire strategy could consist of being eaten by your foe, then popping out Aliens-style, which is awesomely hilarious.

Well I was wondering more along the lines of would the grapple force more then one saving throw since both of you would be constantly moving and different parts of your bodies would be touching.

And yeah paralyzing someone from the inside and then bursting out is awesome.

Optimystik
2010-05-04, 08:42 AM
Yes, it's a Fort save. Because ravages are rainbow happy fuzzy-wuzzy poisons.

Fixed that for you :smalltongue:

Suppose, that our monk has the Saint template.
Does Holypower (su) special attack increase the DC of the save to 16?

Yes; Holy Power is untyped and thus stacks with everything.

Ravens_cry
2010-05-04, 08:47 AM
Once your opponents stomach lining hits 0 dex you can just coup de grace it!!
From the inside!
I like. I really, really like!:smallbiggrin:

SethFahad
2010-05-04, 09:10 AM
Thank you. I'm very happy. ...well almost... I need one more thing.
I'll start a new thread because it has to do with the template thingy.

SethFahad
2010-05-04, 09:39 AM
For additional lulz, stack as many natural attacks as you can with Touch of Golden Ice. Monk doesn't cut it - you can get many, many more with a Totemist and Giralon Arms chakra bound to the Totem. For additional lulz, be a Warforged with Jaws of Death and Extra Slam. Be sure to grab Multiattack and Improved Multiattack, and splash a level of Lion Totem Barbarian to get Pounce.

7 natural attacks at full BAB is nothing to sneeze at. Of course, you'll need a lot of feats to do this: let's see, we'll need to add in Touch of Golden Ice... so five feats. You'll have to be 6th Level with two flaws as a Warforged to put this one off (five feats total).

But 7 natural attacks! At full BAB! The poison is just for added lulz! :smalleek:

For that matter, how many saves does a grapple force? Because it seems like it would force many more saves when you bear hug a contact poison, as opposed to hitting them repeatedly. Sure, hitting them will probably kill them faster, but say you want to capture them alive...

Does the damage from the ravage stack if you hit more than once in the same round? I can't remember

Yuki Akuma
2010-05-04, 10:01 AM
Thank you. I'm very happy. ...well almost... I need one more thing.
I'll start a new thread because it has to do with the template thingy.

You don't need to do that. Ask the question here.

Ability damage 'stacks' because it's damage. That's like asking if weapon damage stacks.

Flickerdart
2010-05-04, 10:25 AM

Thri-kreen Totemist 2: 7 natural attacks, no feats expended. ECL5.