PDA

View Full Version : Movement as an action... [3.5]

Eldan
2010-05-04, 09:25 AM
I just read the D&D 2.0 thread. I've heard it before, but there it was said again: how movement was apparently (I've never played AD&D) handled in second edition: one could move and then still take all his actions.

So, my question: how about including something similar in D&D? In any given turn you get one free movement up to your base speed. Actions can be taken before or after that movement.

A few more points:

a) This should somehow help the issue of "Do I full attack or move in this turn", a problem for full fighter.

b) Instead of masses of feats in the style of mobile spellcasting, spring attack, fly-by-attack and so on, a single feat that allows to split your movement for before/after actions should be enough.

c) Maybe to give some advantage to a stationary style of combat, there could be a penalty on full attacks and other actions after moving?

d) Double moves would still be possible: as it was now, just spend one move action for another move. Triple moves should probably be forbidden.

Curmudgeon
2010-05-04, 12:06 PM
That's essentially what you get with the Travel Devotion feat from Complete Champion: move your speed as a swift action.

Pluto
2010-05-04, 12:11 PM
This can make Rogues get crazy in casual unoptimized groups.
(They always flank, always full attack; if the Wizard is tossing d6's, he might feel small.)

Otherwise, everything is peachy (and more or less the status quo in a post-CC/ToB/EPH game).

Draz74
2010-05-04, 12:35 PM
Basically, if you just get rid of the full attack mechanic (and give some other way for melee to be effective, a la ToB's Strikes), things just get better all over.

My CRE8 system more or less uses the 4e mechanics for turn actions, with the following changes:

Opportunity actions are merged with immediate actions
The Mobility feat lets you combine a non-attack Minor Action with anytime you move normally

So basically:

Characters get a Standard Action, a Move Action, and an Opportunity Action each turn. They can trade a Standard Action for a Move Action. They can trade any other action (including an Opportunity Action not used between turns) for a Swift Action.
Feats can improve action economy in some powerful but very specific ways: Mobility can let you make a free non-attack Swift Action (e.g. drawing a weapon, changing a stance or an aura) anytime you move. Another feat will grant you a stance that lets you make one opportunity attack per round without it using up your Swift Action.
Characters generally only get one (non-Opportunity) attack per round unless a special ability grants them more. Special abilities that grant extra attacks, like TWF or Snap Kick, generally require a Swift Action, although at high levels there will be some ways to make multiple attacks with just a Standard Action (Manyshot, Whirlwind Attack).
Move Actions can be used either to move normally, or to "shift" (5-foot step without provoking an opportunity attack). Or to stand up. In general they're not supposed to be useful for offensive power, but there are exceptions: Power Attack, for example, adds a bonus to your attack at the cost of your Move Action. Power Attack is no longer, however, the Big Main Melee Tactic that it is in Core 3.5e. (Hmmm. Spellcasters should probably have a similar feat that boosts their casting by taking away their mobility while they cast. Any suggestions?)
There are numerous special abilities that make a single, Standard Action-based attack a nasty contribution to combat.