PDA

View Full Version : is there a way for a group to kill a deity

deephelldragon
2010-05-04, 09:42 AM
Im in a group right now that has a god that they want to kill but i don't think it is possible so can you kill a god?:smallconfused:

Last Laugh
2010-05-04, 09:46 AM
you can kill a god.
But unless you are a more powerful god it's pretty tricky.
Without cheese you don't have a chance.

Ichneumon
2010-05-04, 09:47 AM
If it has stats, you can kill it in Dungeons and Dragons.
Deities, officially, have stats, so it is possble.

What level is your group? Most deities are epic level and because of their precognition and omnipotent powers + followers are very hard to kill, so it will be difficult, but it certainly is possible.

Gnaeus
2010-05-04, 09:47 AM
Im in a group right now that has a god that they want to kill but i don't think it is possible so can you kill a god?:smallconfused:

Depends on the DM and the setting. If the DM allows it, gods can certainly be killed, and there are adventures which have involved killing gods (usually divinely ranked demon lords).

sambo.
2010-05-04, 09:49 AM
it won't be easy and pre-epic, probably impossible.

either way, it's going to require some pretty hefty magic &/or the help of some other gods to get it done.

Tinydwarfman
2010-05-04, 09:49 AM
It's not possible without extreme optimization. As always, you can do anything with enough cheese, but without some pretty ridiculous combos it's not going to happen. Ice Assassin or Simulacrum of a more powerful god could probably do it though.

Ichneumon
2010-05-04, 09:51 AM
Best chances are if the DM invents some ancient artifact that is a god-killing-machine or is specifically harmful for that deity and if he allows you to, after finishing a difficult quest, find it and use it.

At least, that is how I'd do it, if I were a DM and my players wanted to kill a god.

deephelldragon
2010-05-04, 09:54 AM
Best chances are if the DM invents some ancient artifact that is a god-killing-machine or is specifically harmful for that deity and if he allows you to, after finishing a difficult quest, find it and use it.

At least, that is how I'd do it, if I were a DM and my players wanted to kill a god.

I was thinking about doing it that way but i don't want them to kill him right now so i think the quest to find these artifacts should take a little while and they have to have all of them or they can't kill him.

The Cat Goddess
2010-05-04, 10:02 AM
Well... just as an example...

In the Savage Tide Adventure Path, Demon Lords like Orcus & Demogorgon were CR ~32. Gods would be significantly higher than that, considering the story revolves around Demogorgon trying to ascend to Deity-level power.

valadil
2010-05-04, 10:02 AM
It can be done, but it's not something they'll do in a single afternoon. Figuring out how to do it and acquiring all the necessary artifacts could easily take a whole campaign.

Gnaeus
2010-05-04, 10:14 AM
Well... just as an example...

In the Savage Tide Adventure Path, Demon Lords like Orcus & Demogorgon were CR ~32. Gods would be significantly higher than that, considering the story revolves around Demogorgon trying to ascend to Deity-level power.

It depends on DM interpretation. Big Demon Lords in 3.5 have multiple sets of stats in different books. In some worlds/editions, Orcus and Demogorgon ARE lesser deities. Lolth, who is a demon lord, or a goddess, or both, was the BBEG in Queen of the Demonweb pits, which included her divine powers in her stat block. Forgotten Realms has several examples of gods/god like beings being killed, or at least significantly threatened by non-epic or low-epic humans. In Eberron, on the other hand, most gods are pretty much unkillable.

If the DM says that you can, you can.
If the DM says that you can't, you can't.
If the DM says that you can, but you need X special circumstances, then that is what you need.

sambo.
2010-05-04, 10:17 AM
you could always play 1ed.....

i recall our mid-level party pally killed Tiamat with a single lance charge. then again, she did only have 68hp. but she is a Lesser Goddess......

Ichneumon
2010-05-04, 10:21 AM
I think I miss-understood you, deephelldragon, you're the DM, right?

In that case, you should remember that there are other ways than direct combat to kill a god, like using magical artifacts and stuff like that. Also, consider maybe that there are other sollutions that don't require him to be killed, such as imprisonment or banishment by the other gods to a far far a way part of the multiverse. Also, most Gods have the ability to know anything that concerns them, so chances are that if the players start an enterprise to kill said deity, the deity will want to stop them. This doesn't have to happen directly, in fact, it's more likely the god would send his followers to stop the adventureres. Gods have more important things to do than personally stop everyone that wishes to kill them. Only if it actually starts to look like the players could actually succeed the deity will intervene personally.

taltamir
2010-05-04, 11:08 AM
If it has stats, you can kill it in Dungeons and Dragons.
Deities, officially, have stats, so it is possble.

What level is your group? Most deities are epic level and because of their precognition and omnipotent powers + followers are very hard to kill, so it will be difficult, but it certainly is possible.

ALL deities are WEAKER than epic level casters.
the epic handbook and the deities handbook are incompatible.
A level 21 wizard, druid, cleric, etc trumps every deity ever printed.
Deities have 20 outsider HD and one or two player classes also at level 20 each. But they get no access to epic spell casting or other epic stuff.
They do get saline divine abilities which are very dangerous. but trivial to overcome if you have epic casting

If the DM says that you can, you can.
If the DM says that you can't, you can't.
If the DM says that you can, but you need X special circumstances, then that is what you need.

A more serious and more correct answer

Glimbur
2010-05-04, 11:19 AM
Deities have 20 outsider HD and one or two player classes also at level 20 each. But they get no access to epic spell casting or other epic stuff.
They do get saline divine abilities which are very dangerous. but trivial to overcome if you have epic casting

How do you figure gods don't get Epic Spellcasting? They have over 20 HD so they can take Epic feats, they can have 20 levels of wizard or cleric or whatever so they can cast 9th level spells, and they have enough hit dice to be able to meet the skill requirement. It's probably true that no currently officially statted gods have epic spellcasting, but there's no particular reason they can't have it. This means they could have already done whatever trickery the PC's are attempting and automatically win. That's not a fun campaign though, so it would be better DM'ing to run the gods as crafty and powerful but not omniscient.

Aharon
2010-05-04, 11:34 AM
I think those gods which were printed in the book with the salient divine abilities (Deities & Demigods), as well as others that use these rules (Faiths and Pantheons) don't have access to epic feats. If it's a homebrew god that uses the rules on god creation, but is built more sensible, even characters with epic spellcasting don't stand a chance.

Telonius
2010-05-04, 11:36 AM
Killing a god is hard.

Killing all of a god's followers - from whom the god gets its power - is significantly easier.

Caphi
2010-05-04, 12:34 PM

I think you're seriously underestimating salient divine abilities. Also, epic spell research itself is based on conning your GM, and I daresay he has several good reasons to outright deny a spell that, say, protects you from Life and Death. And a deity can always interrupt your epic spell research, too, personally or through his followers.

Lord Vukodlak
2010-05-04, 12:48 PM
I think you're seriously underestimating salient divine abilities. Also, epic spell research itself is based on conning your GM, and I daresay he has several good reasons to outright deny a spell that, say, protects you from Life and Death. And a deity can always interrupt your epic spell research, too, personally or through his followers.

Agree, how about we put Baccob god of magic vs his 21st level wizard and see who wins.

Anyway much depends on the power of the deity, There is a big difference between divine rank 1 and divine rank 20.