PDA

View Full Version : Help finding a prestige class

kyuubigan
2010-05-04, 11:37 AM
I'm running a human fighter (currently 9th level), and I want to know if there is a prestige class that would fit something using his build (whirlwinding sword and board).

Str-18
Dex-16
Con-16
Int-14
Wis-12
Cha-10

Feats
H-Improved Initiative
1-Dodge
F1-Weapon Focus (longsword)
F2-Mobility
3-Spring Attack
F4-Weapon Spec (longsword)
6-Combat Expertise
F6-Whirlwind Attack
F8-Melee Weapon Mastery (Slashing)
9-Greater Weapon Focus (longsword)

Prodan
2010-05-04, 11:38 AM
1. Whirlwind Attack is available as a weapon enchantment called Whirling, a +1 enchantment that allows you to attack as if you had the feat 3/day.

2. Sword and Board is not a good style unless you take certain feats, which you do not currently have. Check out Dictuum Mortum's Fighter Handbook (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Fighters%27_Handbook_By_Dictum_Mortuum_%283.5e_Opt imized_Character_Build%29#Shield_Offense_Style) for more info.

kyuubigan
2010-05-04, 11:46 AM
I'm looking for a prestige class, but the feats presented do look like a good idea that I'll keep in mind.

Telonius
2010-05-04, 11:49 AM
I'll probably be ninjad before this posts, but that isn't a particularly strong build. I'm honestly having a bit of a hard time coming up with anything that would fit. Kensai (from Complete Warrior) isn't terrible. Neither is Dervish (though you'd have to ditch the shield for Dervish Dance to work). Pious Templar, if you take the True Believer feat, will give you Mettle.

sonofzeal
2010-05-04, 11:52 AM
With a few skill ranks, you qualify for Dervish. And Dervishes are pretty awesome.

Prodan
2010-05-04, 11:54 AM
Prestige class wise, you might want to try Cancer Mage Warmind.

Pluto
2010-05-04, 11:58 AM
What sources can you use?

Because Warblade is the first thing to come to mind.

Kobold-Bard
2010-05-04, 11:58 AM
With a few skill ranks, you qualify for Dervish. And Dervishes are pretty awesome.

I looked at Dervish, they can't use Shields.

Actually maybe that was only the AC bonus, not the other class features. In which case +1 Dervish.

Person_Man
2010-05-04, 12:16 PM
Guide to Shields (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123630)

Stock Fighter Advice

Fighter is actually quite a respectable choice up to ECL 12ish if you know what you're doing. The keys are alternate class features (forums.gleemax.com/wotc_archive/index.php/t-906113.html) and careful feat selection (see combos (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=127026)).

At level 1, Fighters get the Tower Shield for free. This in itself is useful. Races of Stone also lets you trade it away for Exotic Shield Proficiency, which has several uses (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6848292). I suggest using it for a Gnome Battle Cloak, which is essentially a shield you wear on your back, which is essentially a free Animated shield. Or you can take the Extreme Shield if you want +3 AC without a To-Hit penalty (but don't care about making shield bash attacks). If you want a mounted build (which is one of your best core-ish options) then I suggest a Riding Shield.

At levels 2 and 6, Dungonscape lets you trade away feats for the Dungeoncrasher ability, which gives you massive damage when you Bull Rush an enemy into a wall or solid object. As others have opined, the easiest way to abuse this is through the Knockback feat. Check out Flaming Homer (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4108954&postcount=22) and the King of Pong (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=107248). If you want to be less abusive and/or don't want to be a Goliath, then I suggest you be a Raptorian or Dragonborn (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/iw/20060105b&page=1) for free flight (though it doesn't kick in until ECL 12). This lets you move above enemies, so that you can Bull Rush them into the floor. You can also get free Bull Rush attempts from the Shield of the Severed Hand (Complete Divine pg 102 or MIC) and/or Brutal Surge weapons (MIC). It's also worth mentioning that Dungeoncrasher damage is so high that even a single mundane Bull Rush per turn can kill most enemies.

At 2nd level or higher you can give up a Fighter bonus feat to gain the Resolute ability (Complete Champion). It allows you to immediately shift 1/2 your BAB to your Will Save. Hugely useful at mid to high levels, as Will Saves are often Save or Lose. Once you get to level 10 or higher I would definitely pick this one up, unless you can find some other form of mental protection.

A nifty web ad on (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060327a) gives you various buffs to your ability to Demoralize. The most important kicks in at 11th level, which lets you Demoralize as a Swift Action. This can be a powerful tool (http://boards-test-dev.wizards.com/wotc_archive/index.php/t-911167), especially when combined with the Imperious Command feat (Drow of the Underdark) which makes Demoralized enemies Cower (www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Cowering).

Put that together, and you get respectable defense, strong offense, and two forms of battlefield control (Bull Rush and Fear). Pretty solid for any low to mid level melee build.

What books are allowed? How wedded are you to your Fighter levels? Can you change your feats? What are your build goals?

Prodan
2010-05-04, 12:18 PM
To expand on what I said earlier, if you have a modest Wisdom score, consider going Fighter 8/PsyWar2/Warmind10

Mongoose87
2010-05-04, 12:21 PM
To expand on what I said earlier, if you have a modest Wisdom score, consider going Fighter 8/PsyWar2/Warmind10

I second this motion.

Prodan
2010-05-04, 12:25 PM
You should also ditch Dodge, Mobility, and Spring Attack for Combat Focus, Combat Vigor, and Combat Stability. Trade Whirlwind Attack for something else. Weapon Focus and Specialization too. Oh, and taking levels in Psywar gets you an extra feat at CL 9.

CyMage
2010-05-04, 12:25 PM
Weapon Master from Sword and Fist/Oriental Adventures might be what you want. While not the best class, you have almost all the pre-requiste feats for it anyways.

~LuckyBoneDice~
2010-05-04, 01:09 PM
+1 to warmind, and Disciple of Dispater, and switch the Longsword stuff for Scimitar. Crit focused. Crit EVERYTHING

Akal Saris
2010-05-04, 03:00 PM
Weapon Master from Sword and Fist/Oriental Adventures might be what you want. While not the best class, you have almost all the pre-requiste feats for it anyways.

I thought this too - the 3.0 weapon master would fit this build very well without messing much with what he does. Going psywarr or warmind would change the character pretty drastically, same for dervish to a lesser extent.

Optimystik
2010-05-04, 03:03 PM
Incarnum Blade - gives your sword all kinds of tricks and combat bonuses, and doesn't actually use incarnum or essentia so it's very easy to play even if you don't understand that system. The PrC is small, thus it can fit into many builds.

Flob
2010-05-04, 03:29 PM
You could always do what I did. Take one level in sorcerer and enough ranks in various crap and take Dragon Disciple. As long as your DM agrees that "Inheriting the half-dragon template" as the capstone doesn't give you LA, I think it's totally worth it for a good fighter. My character was a raptoran, so I ended up being able to fly with over two tons of stuff (light load). Good fun, good fun...

Person_Man
2010-05-04, 03:38 PM
Incarnum Blade - gives your sword all kinds of tricks and combat bonuses, and doesn't actually use incarnum or essentia so it's very easy to play even if you don't understand that system. The PrC is small, thus it can fit into many builds.

I'm a big fan of Incarnum, but I respectfully disagree. At best, the Incarnum Blade provides a +10 to resist special attacks (Trip/Bull Rush/etc), Uncanny Dodge, and bonus hit points = character level * 2. You could swap these out for different assorted minor bonuses (+2 Initiative, +1 damage, etc) but none are particularly worth it. The same bonuses can be provided by some feats and magic items. And the Incarnate can do everything the Blade can do, but he's much better at it. The only thing the Blade has going for it is full BAB, which isn't such a big deal unless you're planning on a Power Attack combo, which kyuubigan doesn't have.

Just below the Blade though is the Ironsoul Forgemaster, which is actually a pretty strong sword and board choice. He can invest essentia into your shield, which grants 5*essentia universal Energy Resistance. It also provides 9/10 meldshaper progression and early opening of the Waist and Heart chakra slots. Of course, it would require that he play a Incarnate or Totemist instead of a Fighter.

Optimystik
2010-05-04, 03:46 PM
I'm a big fan of Incarnum, but I respectfully disagree.

Respectfully, with what? That it provides tricks/bonuses? That it doesn't actually use incarnum? Or that it's small enough to fit in many builds?

Those are all true statements.

The same bonuses can be provided by some feats and magic items.

Not quite: First, the Blademeld specifically allows you to use magic items in chakra slots even when it's bound to them - one of the few (if not only) 'melds that lets you do so. So IB's use does not preclude magic items.

Second, the bonuses it grants are insight bonuses, which are not easily come by. Therefore, they'll stack with competence, enhancement, morale and the other more common ones.

And the Incarnate can do everything the Blade can do, but he's much better at it.

One thing the Incarnate can't do that the IB can, is bind to a chakra but still leave that slot open for magic item use.

Also, you have to understand Incarnum to use an Incarnate effectively, but you need no such knowledge for an IB. Perhaps the OP knows this, perhaps not, but I was erring on the side of caution.