PDA

View Full Version : Need help speccing out gloves of quick draw

Escheton
2010-05-04, 11:57 AM
well that.

What minimum price, caster lvl, needed spells to create. etc

not really sure what the base should be.

Person_Man
2010-05-04, 12:08 PM
In general, I try to avoid creating items that grant feats, because it only increases the power of magic further. But for pricing guidelines, you might want to look at:

Glove of the Master Strategist. Gloves of Storing plus True Strike once per day for a reasonable price. Ghostwalk.

Kimono of Storing: Essentially two Gloves of Storing. Oriental Adventures.

I'm AFB, so I don't know what the prices are.

Escheton
2010-05-04, 12:20 PM
Thanks, but those are more designed for the drawing of a weaponset.
Usefull, but I need the gloves mostly to pull wands and scrolls fast while still keeping my actions for battlefield melee control.

Kylarra
2010-05-04, 12:41 PM
Dungeonscape has the wand bracer which allows you to store 5 wands on each arm that can be recovered as a swift action.

Greenish
2010-05-04, 12:52 PM
Least Crystal of Return. Quickdraw for 300 gp.

Ingus
2010-05-04, 12:55 PM
Belt of many pockets would help too, and it's only 11.000 GP: great number of pockets to store, and a free action to retrieve (I guess it's in Complete Arcane, but there must be a lesser version in Magic Item Compendium)

If I were the DM, I would allow you to craft an item of this kind by yourself at the following conditions: price as a +1 eager weapon (8.000 gp) x1.5 minimum, plus it doesn't work as prereq for any mean.

Least Crystal of Return. Quickdraw for 300 gp.

The problem is the crystal works only on the weapon on which is attached

Another_Poet
2010-05-04, 01:07 PM
I would look at it this way.

If it were a magic weapon ability, it would be worth (at most) a +1 enhancement. Possibly less. But it's not equal to a magic weapon ability, it's worth less because it takes up a slot (gloves). Let's cut the +1 magic weapon abilility price (2000 gp) in half and we get a value of 1,000 gp.

Let's double check this by thinking how it would be enchanted. The easiest way to have a weapon leap out of its scabbard into your hand would be use-activated Mage Hand. Mage Hand can't attack but it could hand your weapon to you. That's exactly what these gloves are. Looking at the magic item creation rules (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/creatingMagicItems.htm) we see that the cost for a continuous or use-activated CL1, 0th level spell is 1,000 gp.

Ah, a beautiful symmetry here.

The item is worth 1,000 gp.

Escheton
2010-05-04, 01:12 PM
BELT OF
HIDDEN POUCHES
Price (Item Level): 5,000 gp (9th)
Body Slot: Waist
Caster Level: 9th
Aura: Moderate; (DC 19) conjuration
Activation: Move (command); see text
Weight: 1 lb

old version was a move action as well

its a good base to go off though

Panigg
2010-05-04, 04:35 PM
Gloves of Quick Draw

CL 5 - Required Spell: Haste.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/Haste.htm

Use-activated or continuous Spell level1 × caster level × 2,000 gp3

3 x 5 x (4x2000) = 120.000

You're welcome.

It shouldn't be too cheap. It's a feat. But yeah, 120k is a bit much.

Lycanthromancer
2010-05-04, 08:11 PM
The problem is the crystal works only on the weapon on which is attachedTHEY'RE 300 GP. BUY 100 OF THEM.

Person_Man
2010-05-04, 08:53 PM
THEY'RE 300 GP. BUY 100 OF THEM.

That's hilarious, and practical. A cookie for you! Where is the Crystal of Return (I'm guessing MIC, but I'm too lazy to thumb through it right now) anyway?

Kylarra
2010-05-04, 08:57 PM
THEY'RE 300 GP. BUY 100 OF THEM.Well the real problem is that wands and scrolls are generally not considered weapons.

That's hilarious, and practical. A cookie for you! Where is the Crystal of Return (I'm guessing MIC, but I'm too lazy to thumb through it right now) anyway?

yes

Lycanthromancer
2010-05-04, 09:04 PM
Well the real problem is that wands and scrolls are generally not considered weapons.Then Quick Draw wouldn't work on them either.

But really, what WOULD you consider them? I mean, you point them at something, the something goes boom.

Kylarra
2010-05-04, 09:09 PM
Then Quick Draw wouldn't work on them either.

But really, what WOULD you consider them? I mean, you point them at something, the something goes boom.Toys! :smallbiggrin:

Lycanthromancer
2010-05-04, 09:10 PM
Toys! :smallbiggrin:Playing with fire, then, are you?

Curmudgeon
2010-05-04, 09:32 PM
Well the real problem is that wands and scrolls are generally not considered weapons.
Scrolls aren't, but wands are treated as weaponlike objects for purposes of drawing. They're just not actual weapons.
Draw or Sheathe a Weapon

Drawing a weapon so that you can use it in combat, or putting it away so that you have a free hand, requires a move action. This action also applies to weapon-like objects carried in easy reach, such as wands. If your weapon or weapon-like object is stored in a pack or otherwise out of easy reach, treat this action as retrieving a stored item.

HunterOfJello
2010-05-04, 09:35 PM
can't you do a 5ft step backwards, draw the item and then use it in the same turn?

Lesser Crystal of Returning is from the Magic Item Compendium. Those on all your weapons and a Wand Sheathe is all you should need for fast actions. Walking around with tons of scrolls isn't cost effective anyway.

Kylarra
2010-05-04, 09:36 PM
Scrolls aren't, but wands are treated as weaponlike objects for purposes of drawing. They're just not actual weapons.Yes, however, I meant for the purposes of adding weapon augment crystals, not for the purposes of QD, semantics, but accurate.

HunterOfJello
2010-05-04, 09:39 PM
also

"An augment crystal is a small gem, crystal, or similar object that provides a magical effect when affixed to a weapon, shield, or suit of armor (or any other magic item that grants an armor bonus to AC)." -pg 221 of MIC

Whether wands are weapons is debatable (improvised weapon maybe), but scrolls definitely aren't.

Curmudgeon
2010-05-04, 09:42 PM
can't you do a 5ft step backwards, draw the item and then use it in the same turn?
That'll always take a move action to move and draw, not a 5' adjustment.
If you have a base attack bonus of +1 or higher, you may draw a weapon as a free action combined with a regular move. So your choices are:

5' step back (not an action)
draw an item in easy reach (move action)
use the item (standard action)
or
normal move backward of at least 5', with a combined draw of a weaponlike item in easy reach (move action provoking AoOs)
use the item (standard action) The first works for scrolls also; the latter just for actual weapons and weaponlike objects like wands.

HunterOfJello
2010-05-04, 09:48 PM
That'll always take a move action to move and draw, not a 5' adjustment. So your choices are:

"Take 5-Foot Step

You can take a 5-foot step before, during, or after your other actions in the round. For example, you could draw a weapon (a move action), take a 5-foot step, and then attack (a standard action), or you could cast fireball (a standard action), take a 5-foot step through an open door, then close the door (a move action)." - pg 144 PHB

5ft step + draw wand (move action) + shoot wand (standard action) = one turn

Siosilvar
2010-05-04, 09:52 PM
I'd allow you to attach quickdraw crystals to scrolls. Sure, burn another 300gp per scroll (nonrefundable). See if I mind that you have a free move action.

Also,

Drawing a weapon so that you can use it in combat, or putting it away so that you have a free hand, requires a move action. This action also applies to weapon-like objects carried in easy reach, such as wands. If your weapon or weapon-like object is stored in a pack or otherwise out of easy reach, treat this action as retrieving a stored item.

If you have a base attack bonus of +1 or higher, you may draw a weapon as a free action combined with a regular move. If you have the Two-Weapon Fighting feat, you can draw two light or one-handed weapons in the time it would normally take you to draw one.

Lycanthromancer
2010-05-04, 09:54 PM
I'd allow you to attach quickdraw crystals to scrolls. Sure, burn another 300gp per scroll (nonrefundable). See if I mind that you have a free move action.

Also,The crystals are reusable.

Curmudgeon
2010-05-04, 09:56 PM
5ft step + draw wand (move action) + shoot wand (standard action) = one turn
Is there something I'm missing, or did you just repeat exactly the first of the two options I outlined above?

Lycanthromancer
2010-05-04, 09:58 PM
Is there something I'm missing, or did you just repeat exactly the first of the two options I outlined above?Aww, c'mon. He's JellO! There's always room for JellO, even if it's otherwise superfluous!

HunterOfJello
2010-05-05, 12:18 AM
*superfluous response*

My point was supposed to be that the "you may draw a weapon as a free action combined with a regular move" rule you quoted has absolutely nothing to do with the combination.

A 5ft step is a "No Action" and Retrieving a stored Item is a "Move Action", so the quoted rule has nothing to do with the situation.

~~

I wonder if there are rules anywhere about whether to consider a Wand a weapon or not. I know there are ways to use it as a touch weapon and it obviously works similar to a hand crossbow.

Ashram
2010-05-05, 01:04 AM
Some of you are forgetting that your weapon has to be +1 for a Lesser Crystal of Return to function. :P

Also, I don't see what the problem is with just TAKING Quick Draw.

icefractal
2010-05-05, 01:16 AM
The Arms and Equipment Guide has a sidebar on items that grant feats (page 128). The price is 10K, plus 5K for every prerequisite feat (so 10K for Quick Draw), unless a more specific pricing method exists (for instance, Great Fortitude would be priced as a +2 to Fortitude saves, 4000-6000 gp).

EDIT: Looked it up, found actual source.

Vaynor
2010-05-05, 01:24 AM
also

"An augment crystal is a small gem, crystal, or similar object that provides a magical effect when affixed to a weapon, shield, or suit of armor (or any other magic item that grants an armor bonus to AC)." -pg 221 of MIC

Whether wands are weapons is debatable (improvised weapon maybe), but scrolls definitely aren't.

What if your scroll grant an armor bonus. >.>

HunterOfJello
2010-05-05, 06:06 AM
Some of you are forgetting that your weapon has to be +1 for a Lesser Crystal of Return to function. :P

You're right, we've all been meaning to say "Least" Crystal of Return. Least weapon crystals require the weapon to be of masterwork quality.

We don't want waste a feat on Quick Draw because it can be replaced by 900 gp worth of crystals attached to 3 weapons.

Escheton
2010-05-05, 06:07 AM

well, in my case it's that knockback and martial study to get a prestigeclass and the improved trip line I have now are more important and I'm sort of short on feats now.

the purpose is to use low lvl attackenhancing swift action spells to augment my attacks.
Seeing I'm a frontline fighter and already have a twohanded weapon in hand but sometimes need a(n) (eternal) wand or scroll of something and can't afford not to attack as it will fudge the trip mechanics.

but I now see I'm best off retrieving wands from sheaths and quivers (of ehlonna) in my move action.

problem now is just that I need to drop the wand as sheathing it will cost my trip and curling wave follow up trip.

Greenish
2010-05-05, 07:01 AM
problem now is just that I need to drop the wand as sheathing it will cost my trip and curling wave follow up trip.Have it be connected to your belt/quiver/pouch by a string.

Thurbane
2010-05-05, 07:20 AM
This page has plenty of items for comparison: Magic Items Granting Feats (http://home.comcast.net/~ftm3/JHtB/feats.html)