PDA

View Full Version : 4e Mermaid Race

DiscipleofBob
2010-05-04, 01:47 PM
The main purpose of this race is one of many Final Fantasy based races I'm working on. For those that know or want to know the reference, this race references the merfolk from Final Fantasy 1.

Merfolk

Elegant and elusive denizens of the ocean

Average Height: 5'5'' - 6'0''
Average Weight: 120 – 160 lb.

Ability Scores: +2 Charisma, +2 Dexterity or +2 Wisdom
Size: Medium
Speed: 6 squares, Swim Speed 8

Languages: Common, Choice of one other
Skill Bonuses: +2 Athletics, +2 Nature
Fey Origin: You count as a fey creature for the purposes of determining effects related to origin.
Aquatic Form: As a free action you can switch between your land and aquatic form. While in your aquatic form, you can breathe underwater and suffer no penalties or ill effects from being underwater and you gain a +2 bonus on skill checks made to perform swimming manuevers
Mist Illusion: Once per encounter, when you are bloodied by an attack, you gain concealment against the attacking enemy until the start of your next turn.
Siren Song: You gain a +1 bonus to attack rolls with the Charm, Illusion, or Psychic keyword.
River Dash: You gain the River Dash power.

River Dash
Merfolk Racial Power
You temporarily utilize your aquatic form on land to fluidly flow across the battlefield like a river.
Encounter
Move Action Personal
Effect: You can move your speed without provoking attacks of opportunity.

A race that until recently were content to live deep under the sea only occasionally and secretly venturing to land to partake of the pleasures of dry land. In modern times, merfolk have enough threats both on land and in the sea that the merfolk have been forced to take up arms to protect their homelands.

Play a merfolk if you want...

To be an elegant and elusive creature.
To be an adaptable underwater combatant.
To be a member of a race that favors the rogue, bard, sorcerer, ardent, or cleric class.

Physical Qualities
Merfolk are almost indistinguishable from humans when on land, with the exception of a seemingly unearthly beauty and grace. Occasionally, merfolk will have slight webbing between their fingers, or a couple small patches of scales with their skin as well. In their aquatic form, a merfolk's lower half of their body is a long, flexible fish tail with a usually bright pattern of shimmering scales. Merfolk also have long, flowing hair or bright, sometimes exotics colors like blue or green.
Most members of the race are female, but about 1 in 10 are mermen. Mermen are usually leaner and smaller than other male humanoids and don't usually grow a lot of facial or body hair. Otherwise, their land forms resemble humans.
Merfolk favor clothing and jewelry that can be fashioned from their underwater homeland. Coral and shell armor and accessories and pearl jewelry are common, and oceanic colors such as blue and green are favored for clothing.
Merfolk live about as long as humans, though they show less signs of aging past young adulthood, other than maybe a discoloration of hair.

Playing a Merfolk
Merfolk are used to living an isolated life under the sea, but many are fascinated with the world on land. Stories about sailors lured to the sea by beautiful mermaids are more than occasionally based in fact. Often in the past, merfolk would visit the land, masquerading as humans, and partake in as much culture and pleasure as possible.
Recent times have not only forced the merfolk to reveal their societies to neighboring nations and take up arms in defense of the oceans, from both land and sea threats. There are sahuagin and other underwater races engaging in cults or raids, and parties from above fish endangered sea creatures and pollute the waters without regard for the well-being of the ocean. Pirates and treasure hunters raid sacred underwater temples for valuable treasures under the misconceived notion that they are abandoned ruins and fair game. Merfolk now have taken up arms however they may, whether due to martial prowess or magick arts.
The ocean, its environment and treasures are the top priority for merfolk. Despoiling the ocean is destroying the merfolk's home, and merfolk do not take it lightly. Most merfolk are strong environmentalists.
When their home is not in danger, merfolk seek out whatever pleasure and amusements they can find. Merfolk often explore dry land on their own, but still usually stick close to the ocean in case it becomes more advantageous to flee back to the ocean.

erikun
2010-05-04, 02:01 PM
Nice, although a few recommendations.

First, the swim speed should probably be part of the Aquatic Form. It sounds like they switch from be a landbound humanoid to an aquatic fish-oid. As such, their humanoid forms wouldn't have a natural swim speed.

I don't see much reason for both Mist Illusion and River Dash. I don't think a race needs two abilities which both move them without provoking Opportunity Attacks. Perhaps combine the ideas of both - granting concealment until end of next turn while shifting your movement. Something like a "Mist Veil" encounter power which produces illusions and distractions for a turn to protect you.

It has been a LONG time since I last played FF1, and honestly, the mermaids in that game didn't leave a very lasting impression. I can't say how fitting the race is.

DiscipleofBob
2010-05-04, 02:09 PM
Nice, although a few recommendations.

It has been a LONG time since I last played FF1, and honestly, the mermaids in that game didn't leave a very lasting impression. I can't say how fitting the race is.

Well, the idea was to make the setting of Final Fantasy 1 (and eventually other games) playable for 4e. From the first game, Mermaids were the only real race which needed homebrew.

The other races I would use for said setting would be Humans, Elves, Dwarves, Dragonborn, Devas (Lufeins), and Warforged.

I'm still considering your other recommendations and will get back on those.

Deathdarken
2010-05-05, 01:37 PM
if you do enough classes I mgiht try to make a campaign on this stuff

Chainsaw Hobbit
2010-05-05, 07:14 PM
Very nice, seems a little overpowered, maybe you should cut off some of the fluffy powers and keep the bare essentials.

Jack of Spades
2010-05-05, 07:19 PM
Seems like having both Mist Illusion and River Dash is overpowered, what with their (basically) adding two movement utilities while most races only have one utility.

Also, doesn't "mermaid" imply that the individual is feminine? :smalltongue: I haven't played the game in a while either, but I could have sworn the word "merfolk" was thrown around.

DiscipleofBob
2010-05-06, 02:05 PM
I had my doubts about Mist Illusion too...

Anyway, changed it so instead the target gets full concealment against the attacking enemy until the start of their next turn. Does that work better?

if you do enough classes I mgiht try to make a campaign on this stuff

Well, I have to playtest the Dark Knight and Dragoon first before I go any further, but I do have plans for a Summoner class which will work like the beastmaster ranger, and perhaps a FF-style Ninja. Not a typical assassin ninja mind you, but the dual-wielding, magic-using, everything-throwing Ninjas from the Final Fantasy game.

Very nice, seems a little overpowered, maybe you should cut off some of the fluffy powers and keep the bare essentials.

Any ideas to fixes then? I'd like to follow the 4e standard of 3 to 4 racial features per race including one power, and I don't want the races to be so bland they're just rehashes of something else, though I don't think I have that problem with the Merfolk since 4e is lacking an aquatic race so far.

Seems like having both Mist Illusion and River Dash is overpowered, what with their (basically) adding two movement utilities while most races only have one utility.

Also, doesn't "mermaid" imply that the individual is feminine? :smalltongue: I haven't played the game in a while either, but I could have sworn the word "merfolk" was thrown around.

>_< I knew there was a better term I could use. Can't believe I didn't see think of that sooner. I'll probably go with Merfolk, just need to make appropriate edits.

Thanks for the input. It's all appreciated.