PDA

View Full Version : [3.5e]I wanna play a Werewolf Pc, give me a hand

pilvento
2010-05-04, 03:31 PM
hi guys, me dm is on what he calls DM vacations, so one of us (the party members) is going to be the new DM for some time in a completly new campaing starting at lvl 5.

After reading all the monster manuals at work, i decided to try a template, in this case one with not much LA so i chosed the werewolf template.
Its a good idea for role play and i whant to se me pals faces when i first transform durning full moon, if the survive, it gonna be a nice surprice.

No, im not planing to kill them, i want to be a member of the party which is gonna be so far: a cleric a duskblade a wizzard and me, the werewolf ranger.

i think the best choise is to go for the warshaper PrC.

what do you recomend, feats, classes or base race for the character.

i thougt for human, wild elf, or even raptorian to be a winged werewolf.

please coment as much as u want, thanks

Gnaeus
2010-05-04, 03:39 PM
So your plan is to start the game as a level 1 afflicted lycanthrope with 3d8+ con x3 hp, +2 BaB and bad saves? Good luck surviving until warshaper. And you don't plan on changing form until the first full moon? You are going to be seriously gimpy my friend.

Consider a 1 HD animal? Were dog? Were Badger? Were Snake? Then you can at least be second level, or be a natural lycanthrope, with DR 10 and control over your changes.

KillianHawkeye
2010-05-04, 03:42 PM
NOTE: You'll only be able to squeeze in 1 level of Ranger at 5th level, since you also acquire a wolf's 2 animal HD on top of the +2 (minimum) LA.

pilvento
2010-05-04, 03:53 PM
NOTE: You'll only be able to squeeze in 1 level of Ranger at 5th level, since you also acquire a wolf's 2 animal HD on top of the +2 (minimum) LA.

that is actually the general idea but the DM said that since we allways go for powerlvl i can reduce the LA to +1 if i stay as an aflicted lycan.

pilvento
2010-05-04, 03:56 PM
So your plan is to start the game as a level 1 afflicted lycanthrope with 3d8+ con x3 hp, +2 BaB and bad saves? Good luck surviving until warshaper. And you don't plan on changing form until the first full moon? You are going to be seriously gimpy my friend.

yes, those are the risks, i know. but see it like you where going to roll play an aflicted lycan, you are not gonna join the adventurars and say it out loud or transform in each encounter and then pretend it never happens.
the idea for the character roleplay will be for him to learn how to control his body for protecting the others and take revenge over those who make him what he is ( the most cool character on the table).

Tao the Ninja
2010-05-04, 05:08 PM
there is a homebrew lycanthromancer class somewhere.

Heliomance
2010-05-04, 05:10 PM
You do know that voluntarily shifting automatically changes your alignment to Chaotic Evil, right?

Greenish
2010-05-04, 05:15 PM
Since you'll be starting at level 5, how about wildshape variant ranger (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#ranger)?

You can play it as a werewolf, though you won't have hybrid form.

KillianHawkeye
2010-05-04, 06:06 PM
You do know that voluntarily shifting automatically changes your alignment to Chaotic Evil, right?

A lot of people ignore that bit since it's completely arbitrary and doesn't really make much sense.

Crafty Cultist
2010-05-04, 06:22 PM
Check out the link in my signature for monster classes without LA. the werewolf class there might suit your needs

goken04
2010-05-04, 06:25 PM
Since you'll be starting at level 5, how about wildshape variant ranger (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#ranger)?

You can play it as a werewolf, though you won't have hybrid form.

I second this. Werewolf isn't worth it.

Mando Knight
2010-05-04, 06:29 PM
I second this. Werewolf isn't worth it.

Thirded. If you're starting at level 5, then you're starting at the minimum level for a WS Ranger to be able to use Wild Shape.

Lycanthromancer
2010-05-04, 07:14 PM
And you don't even have to be JUST a werewolf. You can be a pan-were.

Hooray for dire weasels?

pilvento
2010-05-04, 08:19 PM
A lot of people ignore that bit since it's completely arbitrary and doesn't really make much sense.

thank you for that

pilvento
2010-05-04, 08:21 PM
Thirded. If you're starting at level 5, then you're starting at the minimum level for a WS Ranger to be able to use Wild Shape.

I know, and it was my first choice, but again, i whant to play a werewolf cause i wanna roll one. (to much hellsing and world of darkness)

pilvento
2010-05-04, 08:28 PM
Check out the link in my signature for monster classes without LA. the werewolf class there might suit your needs

thanks dude! that really helps, im gonna tell my group about it. the only think that i dont thint it fits is the "Growt" alternate form, it can be large but the others are too much.

Pluto
2010-05-04, 08:51 PM
It sounds like you've solved your problem, but I just wanted to point out that Werewolf is offered for +1 LA, no HD on the WotC site. (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20040117a) You need to sink more levels if you want the full benefits, but you explicitly can take levels in a real class before finishing.

It might not work as well as a Shapeshift Druid dip or something like that, but it actually makes you a werewolf, if that's what's important.

pilvento
2010-05-05, 01:41 PM
well that solves the template problem.

any ideas for the class optimization, my original idea again were ranger and warshaper.

The Cat Goddess
2010-05-05, 01:58 PM
Consider Lion Totem Barbarian 1, for Pounce.
Consider Scout (& Swift Hunter) for Skirmish Damage.
Seriously consider getting that 3rd LA for Hybrid Form & increased Damage Reduction.

Crafty Cultist
2010-05-05, 07:47 PM
thanks dude! that really helps, im gonna tell my group about it. the only think that i dont thint it fits is the "Growt" alternate form, it can be large but the others are too much.

glad I could help. the size change originally signified going from wolf to dire wolf, but it was decided to take it further