PDA

View Full Version : Fallout RPG?

Org
2010-05-04, 03:36 PM
So, I have heard about a Fallout d20 game, but I also heard it was pretty bad.
So, is there any interest here in making a better one?

I think it would be interesting.

Frosty
2010-05-04, 03:41 PM
WHy do d20? Fallout works best with the default d100 (or 2 d10s rather). Fallout should never become a Class-based system.

Org
2010-05-04, 03:44 PM
WHy do d20? Fallout works best with the default d100 (or 2 d10s rather). Fallout should never become a Class-based system.

I meant more of a better game overall.
Using the d10 sounds good.

GolemsVoice
2010-05-04, 03:45 PM
There is a Fallout P&P online, it's easy to find with a bit of searching. It's based on the original game mechanics from the PC game, and a bit heavyhanded, for me, but it's free, so hey, why complain. I've never actually played it, though, so I can't really comment.

lesser_minion
2010-05-04, 03:49 PM
I know people have reproduced it using GURPS, and I know it is possible to modify the SPECIAL system for pen-and-paper (I've seen at least one attempt that was utter tripe, but the site (http://falloutpnp.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page) seems to have moved on, so that assessment may be out of date).

I imagine that True20 could manage a decent interpretation of the game as well.

Aside from that, there's a thread somewhere on homebrew, but it's probably far too out of date to revive.

If you'd like to start a new Fallout d20 project, then feel free to open up a thread in homebrew.

Org
2010-05-04, 03:51 PM
I want a game that uses only one type of dice, with no nonsense of using like six different types.

Gah, I thought I should have posted this in the Homebrew section.

lesser_minion
2010-05-04, 03:59 PM
The latest version of Falloutpnp from wikia seems to have dropped all dice that aren't d100s, so that might be helpful (damage rolls are handled by looking at how well you rolled to hit).

Otherwise, True20 uses a d20 and nothing else, and GURPS uses d6s only.

Finally, you could probably build something pretty interesting off of a dice pool mechanic.

Frosty
2010-05-04, 04:05 PM
The SPECIAL sytem *is* a modified GURPS system, and the one found here: http://www.paforge.com/fallout.html is mostly fine and reproduces the computer games fairly faithfully. The drug addiction rules are stupid though and so is the healing rate (they deviated from the game greatly in both counts).

I have my own ideas for houserules to make it better, but it already works as-is.

Org
2010-05-04, 04:38 PM
I wanted to make a new one, because it is more interesting to make it then to borrow. D10 system.

DabblerWizard
2010-05-04, 04:44 PM
I would greatly enjoy playing a post apocalyptic rpg inspired by the Fallout series!

Org
2010-05-04, 05:32 PM
Yeah.

Players could be humans, mutants, ghouls, and a few other options of which I have no idea of now. Ideas?
I was about to say robots, but meh. They don't seem like the player types.

The Rose Dragon
2010-05-04, 05:34 PM
Consider the homebrew forum. This is more for discussion of established RPGs and tabletop RPG tropes and concepts. Creating something from the scratch usually goes in the homebrew section.

Just explaining why people are so eager to mention extant RPG systems.

Org
2010-05-04, 05:38 PM
How do I move the thread?

The Rose Dragon
2010-05-04, 05:39 PM
Try PMing a moderator. Preferably Roland St. Jude, who is ever-alert, ever-vigilant and ever-zealous in his duties. :smalltongue:

Org
2010-05-04, 05:44 PM
Okay.
10 letters

Org
2010-05-04, 05:46 PM
Thanks man.

So, willing to contribute ideas? Anyone?

Strudel110
2010-05-04, 06:16 PM
Dark Heresy uses d10 so weapons could work similar to DH, example

{table=head]Type | Range | Rate of fire | Penetration | Clip | Special | Reload | V.A.T.S. | Weight | Cost | Availability
pistol, basic, flame, etc.| x ft. |single shot/ semi auto # of rounds / full auto # of rounds| armor penetraion | # of rounds in clip | accurate, explosive, etc. | reload time | # of action points to fire in V.A.T.S. | x # of lbs. | x # of caps | common, uncommon, rare, very rare, unique
[/table]

Org
2010-05-04, 06:22 PM
Sounds like a good way.

Strudel110
2010-05-04, 06:42 PM
V.A.T.S. should be simple, your character has a number of action points based on level perks and possibly equipment, firing a weapon in V.A.T.S. uses a number provided in the weapons profile which is different depending on the weapon for example laser weapons tend to use less AP while a sniper uses a lot. To determine whether or not the shot or shots hits you would roll a d100 and try to roll above the required accuracy, with modifiers from the body part your trying to hit ( going for the head would make the number higher, firing in a crouched position could add a bonus to your roll) and the distance your firing from. Negative modifiers would raise the number required while positive modifiers would add to your roll. What do you think?

Org
2010-05-04, 06:43 PM
Except not everyone is a Vault Dweller.

oxybe
2010-05-04, 06:43 PM
look up "Exodus" by Glutton Creeper Games. it was a pnp game originally made for the Fallout franchise, but due to legal issues it didn't go through. so they changed the name and the cover a bit (some recoloring and they had to remove the fallout power armor and replaced with their own), as well as some of the IP stuff inside.

a comparison between covers, Exodus vs Fallout

http://pixelsandgrids.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/exodus-vs-fallout2.jpg

http://gluttoncreeper.net/

Org
2010-05-04, 06:48 PM
Yeah. Seen it.

icastflare!
2010-05-04, 06:48 PM
It sounds like an interesting concept.

Strudel110
2010-05-04, 06:52 PM
Except not everyone is a Vault Dweller.

Even without V.A.T.S. you can aim but you would receive a negative modifier, or the opposite could work where having a pipboy adds to your rolls.

Org
2010-05-04, 06:54 PM
Even without V.A.T.S. you can aim but you would receive a negative modifier, or the opposite could work where having a pipboy adds to your rolls.

Pip-Boy adds.

Strudel110
2010-05-04, 07:09 PM
Cool. I'm liking where this is going. I forgot about damage for weapons but I guess that works so you can approve before I put it on the weapon table, how about x # of d10 + x.(example laser-pistol 1d10+2 damage) Alright armor that's important, I suppose numbers can be ironed out later but let's say leather armor covers arms, legs, and body and prevents 2 points of damage. (using above rules)

Org
2010-05-04, 07:13 PM
Not +.
Minus. Most likely. When you start, you'll have a few points of HP, because it makes calculating stuff easier.

Strudel110
2010-05-04, 07:22 PM
Not +.
Minus. Most likely. When you start, you'll have a few points of HP, because it makes calculating stuff easier.

Minus what do you mean? I was talking about how much base damage weapons do not HP? I am confuse.

Org
2010-05-04, 07:25 PM
Minus what do you mean? I was talking about how much base damage weapons do not HP? I am confuse.

What. Okay, so you wont start with that much HP, so you can calculate it easier. Starting in single digits. IF we did for the laser pistol d10+2, thats pretty OP for a small gun.

Strudel110
2010-05-04, 07:37 PM
oh okay! now I get it. So how about plus or minus depending on the weapon, also armor and level/HP will should help you not die.

Org
2010-05-04, 07:37 PM
I am not sure if that is a question, or a statement.

Strudel110
2010-05-04, 07:42 PM
Question. Sorry fail grammar.

Org
2010-05-04, 07:44 PM
Yeah.

Only really high up stuff get bonuses.
And maybe you dont die when you run out of HP, but start taking more body hit damage?

Strudel110
2010-05-04, 07:47 PM
Yeah or unconscious and -hp like d&d.

Org
2010-05-04, 07:48 PM
Maybe they have to take a Endurance test or pass out from blood loss.
And take extra damage for body parts.

Strudel110
2010-05-04, 07:51 PM
sounds good but how do you decide if they die or not?

Org
2010-05-04, 07:54 PM
You roll on some table for body damage, and a few will kill.
Or they bleed out. Or something like that.

Strudel110
2010-05-04, 08:00 PM
Okay numbers later basics first then you can just compile it together. So for skills I was thinking... big guns, explosives,energy weapons, small guns, melee, unarmed, lockpick, repair, medical, science, sneak, barter, speech.

Org
2010-05-04, 08:13 PM
Energy Weapons

Strudel110
2010-05-04, 08:17 PM
Yes, added it.

Strudel110
2010-05-04, 08:20 PM
So how will skills work?

Org
2010-05-04, 08:21 PM
You do a skill test with 2d10s, and to pass you roll under it.

Or it gives a bonus to damage or something. Like with the weapons.

Strudel110
2010-05-04, 08:24 PM
2d10 or d100, they're pretty much the same...but they add up differently.

Gnomo
2010-05-05, 01:13 AM
Players could be humans, mutants, ghouls, and a few other options of which I have no idea of now. Ideas?
I was about to say robots, but meh. They don't seem like the player types.
What about humanoid androids, like the one in Rivet City in Fallout 3.

So you have:
Humans
Mutants
Ghouls
Androids

About damage, i guess you should roll it separately from the attack roll, but should get a benefit from the skill level, maybe every 10 points you have on the skill you get a +1 bonus to damage, and for damage you roll:

1d10 + Weapon condition + 10% Weapon skill

You can say that some weapons have better condition than others, for example a Combat Shotgun has a maximum condition of 12, and a Laser Pistol has a maximum condition of 8.

You can say that weapons have different resistance to even them out, for example a Combat Shotgun has a resistance of 20 (the larger the number is worst), while a Laser Pistol has a resistance of 12, every time you attack and get a dice roll below the weapon resistance, it's condition goes 1 point lower.

To repair a weapon you have to disarm a similar weapon to use its parts, and you improve its condition by 1 with an unsuccessful repair check, by 2 with a successful repair check, and by 3 with an awesomely good repair check.

Just tossing some ideas, i guess you can improve them.

elpollo
2010-05-05, 03:01 PM
I want a game that uses only one type of dice, with no nonsense of using like six different types.

What's wrong with multiple dice types?

V.A.T.S.

Why would you include V.A.T.S.? The V stands for Vault, so the vast majority of people wandering around would have absolutely nothing to do with it. At all.

To determine whether or not the shot or shots hits you would roll a d100 and try to roll above the required accuracy

That's not how percentile systems usually work... rolling under or equal to the target number tells you your chance of success, which is really better than telling you your chance of failure.

V.A.T.S. was something added to Fallout 3 to maintain some sort of action point based combat in it. Surprisingly, everyone in the previous Fallout games managed without it. If you check percentages I think you'd find that it didn't make you any better at shooting (it was based off of your skill, what you were targetting, your gun, and possibly the distance) - it simply applied a turn-ish based system to the game as that's really what a lot of hardcore Fallout fans wanted.

I think having double the number of starting hit points is preferable to having some weapons deal no damage on a hit 30% of the time (and that's not including the effects of armour).

You do a skill test with 2d10s, and to pass you roll under it.

Do you mean the sum of 2d10 (so from 2-20) or d100?

2d10 or d100, they're pretty much the same...but they add up differently.

Actually, 2d10 has a large difference in skill between a 2-3 and 10-11. Increasing from 2-3 means that you go from 1% chance of success to a 3% chance of success, where as 10-11 means that you go from 45% chance of success to a 55% chance of success.

I'd honestly just use one of the SPECIAL systems hanging around, tweaked to your needs. Writing a new RPG is all well and good, but requires a large amount of work, and it's often not worth it.

Skills wise, I'd probably be tempted to use:

Big Guns
Bows
Energy Weapons
Melee Weapons
Small Guns
Throwing
Unarmed

Acrobatics
Athletics
Barter
Computer
Doctor
Drive
First Aid
Forgery
Gambling
Lockpick
Outdoorsman
Pilot
Repair
Ride
Science
Sneak
Speech
Steal
Traps

Splitting or combining a couple to meet your needs.

Org
2010-05-05, 07:55 PM
Multiple dice get annoying.
And with the damage, it should always deal 1 damage if it hits, excepting some armor.

VATS was an example for the location hitting stuff or something.

Yeah, roll under

meh d100 fine I guess